Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS  (Read 35146 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS
« Reply #330 on: September 25, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Page 12 [/size][/shadow]

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:50:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #331 on: September 25, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »

No Ann-Margret for me.

"No Ann-Marget For Me"...that should be the title of your next book.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #332 on: September 25, 2007, 04:56:07 PM »

Oakland's Grand Lake Theater is historic AND active, under private ownership:

Beautiful theater.

Jane

« Reply #333 on: September 25, 2007, 05:13:33 PM »

Since I've got the late shift at work this evening, der B gets to hog the TV, which would make him happy, but...

Ah, but!  

Eight o'clock, he's got Bones and NCIS running opposite each other.  Watch one, record the other.

Nine o'clock, things get really complicated.  House.  The Unit.  Maybe The Reaper.  And Eureka, for when I get home.  Way too much going on all at the same time.

The pilot for THE REAPER will be on again Thursday night, the 27th.  I'm recording then instead of tonight.

Jane

« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »

TOD - my absolute favorite movie palace is the

Michigan Theater

on East Liberty in Ann Arbor.  I'm sure I saw many movies there in my 5 years at the University, but the one I remember distinctly is Love Story.

Is this the theater that is now owned by a non-profit group & restored?  If not, which theater am I thinking about?

Jane

« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »

I am really enjoying today's TOD and especially all of these grand olde photographs.  

Thanks, everyone!  :)

Me too :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »

One thing I loved about the theater was that there were no stairs, it was all ramps which I found to be the height of class to my little-hick mind.  This is a photo from the foyer, looking down into the lobby.  The area on the left was the concession stand, and above it, was the smoker's lounge.

They were ahead of their time!  They had it accessible to the handicapped way back then! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2007, 05:27:06 PM »

Cilla, glad the Webinar work well for you.

We almost moved to Minneapolis.  I’m not sorry about that, too cold for me, but I would like to visit it once.

Jane

« Reply #338 on: September 25, 2007, 05:33:31 PM »

A co-worker of mine also said something similar.  At lunch, I gently prodded him to learn at which point he'd left the show.  He said it was too slow and repetitive (??????) but that he'd switched over to "Dancing With the Stars" about 15 minutes in....BUT, he said he later switched back and watched the last 30 minutes and that it had gotten much better.   I filled him in on what he'd missed, and  I brought up certain scenes he'd seen,  and he started laughing aloud at the memory of them.  Turns out, he liked it a whole lot better than he'd thought.  Now he can't wait until next week's episode.

;D  

Before reading your post, & seeing myself quoted, I made a few corrections-I can tell how tired I am. ;D

SPOILER

I did likethe exciting part with the guy I don't expect to see again.  We left shortly after the thief's identity was revealed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:40:33 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #339 on: September 25, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »

JRand, CONGRATULATINS to your parents.

DR elmore, thanks for the Brain report.  
Continued working vibes!

TCB growing up in L.A. storms were very exciting.  I enjoyed your storm story very much.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #340 on: September 25, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »

Got the sweetest note from Miss Emily Skinner saying she really liked the show and calling it "far and away the best NYMF show I've ever seen."  Very nice to come home to that from our lovelier than lovely repast at the Brooklyn Diner.  Food was good, and true to my word I ate large, way too large, but I hadn't eaten all day.  Cason and Miss Karen had to run off to a NYMF show, and then Alet, Jose, and I stayed for an hour more and, of course, had coconut cake (Alet and I) and lemon merangue pie (Jose).  The heat and humidity are way back - very hot and sticky outside.  Luckily the breeze from the river is nice and cool.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #341 on: September 25, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »

I'm just trying to decide whether to meet you at Penn Station with Levain Cookies in hand or Amy's Bread's Monkey Cake.  Or both?  ;D

Oh, aren't you sweet! I vote for the Levain, but I thought you'd be in rehearsal.

Kerry

« Reply #342 on: September 25, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »

Today I got a $12 haircut.   It looks like....a $12 haircut

This cracked me up for a good half hour.  And i know exactly what you mean!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2007, 06:34:41 PM »

Iti s intersting to read about all the theatres; I think MusicGuy has played most of them at one time or another (although I'm sure he'd like to forget a few).

So, DRLaura, are we on for Thursday morning to take Sugar for a walk?
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2007, 06:49:17 PM »

Bruce, very, very nice.

Jose I have been craving a good lemon meringue pie.  I don't like the lemon tart, how was this one?

Kerry

« Reply #345 on: September 25, 2007, 06:56:07 PM »

I asked MusicGuy to give all you of you in NY a hug for me, so if doesn't hug you for me, please feel free to remind him.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »

I loved REAPER!  I laughed a lot.

And now back to work!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »

This cracked me up for a good half hour.  And i know exactly what you mean!

Glad I could make you laugh ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2007, 07:01:19 PM »

How long is MusicGuy going to be in New York? Will he still be there on Friday?

Jane

« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »

I thought it would feel strange not to be on the East Coast about now, for the first time in 5 years.  And it wouldn't, if all the activities there weren't happening.  Such a shame this didn't all happen two years ago.  Oh well.  At least I can read the details & see the photos from the comfort of my home.

Cillaliz

« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2007, 07:03:21 PM »

I will miss seeing you, Jane. I understand why you aren't coming, but wish you were, all the same.

td

• td
« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2007, 07:05:52 PM »

Oh, Pittsburgh was positively brimming with movie palaces as I was growing up.  Beautiful downtown Pittsburgh was a twenty mile drive, though, so my family didn't get there often, but, Thanksgiving weekend of 1964, a major treat was taking a streetcar into town from one of the suburban areas (Bloomfield) where we had relatives and free parking to go to The Nixon Theater on Liberty Avenue for an exclusive seating run of MARY POPPINS.
After that, The Nixon truly held a special place in my heart and I saw many first run, road-show engagement films there including THE SOUND OF MUSIC (our seats, as I may have stated as I do on many occasions) were in the top row of the balcony), THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, PATTON and touring companies as well. . .I saw Howard Keel in some salute to the American Musical. . .
Sadly, very sadly, the only photo I could find of The Nixon, is one just before it was about to be demolished:
[/img]

As well as The Nixon, we had The Stanley, which was home to big band concerts in the 1940s, national tours and films in the 50s, 60s and 70s.  The Stanley underwent MAJOR renovation to become The Benedum Center, which houses Pittsburgh's Civic Light Opera season, national tours and special events.  Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Conner shared a bill when The Benedum opened, Kenneth Brannagh's HENRY V was the first film shown there and The Benedum can be seen in all its glory in Jeff Goldblum's mockumentary, PITTSBURGH.

We also had The Penn Theater, which is now Heinz Hall, where the symphony plays.  Until it became Heinz Hall, unfortunately, it was one of the few theaters in the downtown area which I had never been in.  My stongest memory of The Penn, however, is the billboard for CLEOPATRA, which seemed to be omnipresent throughout the Allegheny Valley.

The now defunct - but turned into a shopping arcade, Warner Theater, was still in operation into the late 70s/early 80s and had a humongous Cinerama screen.   From HELLO, DOLLY!,PETE N TILLIE on through to GREASE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, THE EXORCIST, CARRIE. . .oh, my what memories.

Though not a PALACE by any means, the most important movie theater as I was growing up was The Manos Theater, in Tarentum PA - the birthplace of Miss Evelyn Nesbitt - where I first saw MY FAIR LADY (as a reward for a fine report card) and where my Saturday and Sunday pre-teen days were spent with the Hammer horror films, the James Bond double bills, Herman's Hermits' flicks, THE SINGING NUN, the DARK SHADOWS double bill; in other words, a safer, saner world then, when a parent or two, could drop a child off in full knowledge of that child's safety, and trust that the child would be doing exactly what that child said he wanted to.

If I've gone on (and on and on) it's because I found today's topic to be so bittersweet, and I thought that sharing a few of these memories would be a bright spot in a (so-far) very depressing week.

Also, I have a recent photo of The Manos, which is now a real estate office:
[/img]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 07:07:11 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2007, 07:10:47 PM »

DR Kerry, I have an airport run on Thursday morning at 10 a.m.

Unless you want to go after that -- but it will get warm!

I am free tomorrow.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #353 on: September 25, 2007, 07:16:20 PM »

And if they don't - I'll bet you would be frequently browsing the aisles of that particular pharmacy!  ;)

Only if you can get me their names and phone numbers
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #354 on: September 25, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »

I've just learned that the conductor for this Plaza Hotel orchestration I'm doing is Paul Gemignani

You are doing Paul Gemignani?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #355 on: September 25, 2007, 07:22:04 PM »

No doubt lured by the publicity for Bella Darvi....

Was that Bella Donna's sister?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #356 on: September 25, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »

They were ahead of their time!  They had it accessible to the handicapped way back then! ;)

See, that is what made it so classy.  Today it would look like it was built to be handicap accessible, but back then it was chic!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #357 on: September 25, 2007, 07:27:55 PM »

Got the sweetest note from Miss Emily Skinner saying she really liked the show and calling it "far and away the best NYMF show I've ever seen."  Very nice to come home to that from our lovelier than lovely repast at the Brooklyn Diner.  Food was good, and true to my word I ate large, way too large, but I hadn't eaten all day.  Cason and Miss Karen had to run off to a NYMF show, and then Alet, Jose, and I stayed for an hour more and, of course, had coconut cake (Alet and I) and lemon merangue pie (Jose).  The heat and humidity are way back - very hot and sticky outside.  Luckily the breeze from the river is nice and cool.

Isn't that interesting!  Jose keeps bringing up the coconut cake, but he orders the pie!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #358 on: September 25, 2007, 07:31:04 PM »

Thanks Cilla.

'night

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #359 on: September 25, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »

How can I have been gone for almost four hours, and when I come back , there are less than two new pages (and I am half of the second one)!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up