Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS DEEP DAY  (Read 23897 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THIS DEEP DAY
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2004, 02:22:33 PM »

Of course, the posts we have today are cherce, but I must say it's the deadliest day we've had in weeks.  Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to cheerlead like usual, as I'm going to start actively proofing the galley soon.

Robin

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2004, 02:23:06 PM »

Oddly enough, the Significant Other and myself were having a discussion about MGM musicals the other day...and when I said that my favorite one was Meet Me in St. Louis, he said, "That's bullshit, and you know it.  You play that laserdisc of Athena every few weeks!"  He didn't mention that I also listen to the CD pretty darned often, too, but he was absolutely right.  Athena really is my favorite MGM musical.  Go figure.

But Meet Me in St. Louis really is my second favorite.  

I'm also very fond of The Harvey Girls, The Pirate, Easter Parade, Silk Stockings and Show Boat.  But, if truth be told, I like the James Whale-directed original version better.  And again, being perfectly candid, I'd really like to say The Wizard of Oz, but I've always despised the last few minutes of the film; the horrible "it was all a dream" ending really takes away some of the impact of the movie, and you know Miss Gulch will be returning to collect Toto and have him put to sleep...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2004, 02:23:10 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~Healing Vibes To Emily~~~~[/move]

The top several of my favorite MGM Musicals have all been mentioned:

Brigadoon (this was the very first musical that I was in in college)
Easter Parade
Meet Me In St. Louis
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Singing In the Rain
Victor/Victoria
(I got to see this live on Broadwy with Julie!)
The Wizard of Oz
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2004, 02:23:23 PM »

DR EMILY - as Frau Bluecher said: "BE careful of the stairs...they are tweachewuss..."

Lovely pics of DR JANE and DH KEITH - the Italian pic is so nice...I want to go there!!!!

RE:  Nanette Fabray....yes she was a lovely talented lady who didn't get enough movie time....  I also like the recent story of her body mike turned on too soon at a stage show where upon she inquired of the stage manager (and the audience) in a good humored way:  "Where's my fucking ukelele?"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:24:38 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2004, 02:24:36 PM »

I'm curious, which other revivals have new songs written for them?

A Little Night Music (London Judi Dench Revival)  combined the stage and film versions of The Glamorous Life into one song. Also a new number called Table Conversations (or something like that)

That version also used a bit of the cut song, "My Husband the Pig."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2004, 02:35:59 PM »

For faithfulness to the original stage version James Whale's version is truly wonderful, and I am SO glad we have it.

For an entertaining "alternate take" on SHOW BOAT, I really love the 1951 version. And I think that the color in that version is among the grandest of any of the MGM Technicolor musicals (including SINGIN' IN THE RAIN and AN AMERICAN IN PARIS). That opening ballyhoo is just stunning to look at.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:37:42 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2004, 02:39:46 PM »

ATHENA. I have that on laserdisc, too, and despite the beautiful beefcake, the score just doesn't thrill me enough to watch it that often. Maybe I haven't given it enough chances.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2004, 02:43:32 PM »

Of course, the posts we have today are cherce, but I must say it's the deadliest day we've had in weeks.  Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to cheerlead like usual, as I'm going to start actively proofing the galley soon.

Well, it's YOUR fault, bk! You kept everyone up way too late last night at the pajama party (or pyjama as it's written in SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SPIDER WOMAN.)

::)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2004, 02:49:50 PM »

Miss Nanette Fabray will be appearing later this month in a staged reading of Driving Miss Daisy at the 87-seat theatre inside the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre in Hollywood.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:50:18 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2004, 03:09:09 PM »

You mean people are still ASLEEP.  Wake 'em up!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2004, 03:20:27 PM »

Wow - I bet Nanette will be a great Miss Daisy!!!   ;D

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week - even though no revelations were forthcoming from Mr Walter Graumann  :(

From the movie Count Three and Pray with her co-star and lifelong friend Mr Raymond Burr.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 03:20:47 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2004, 03:32:44 PM »

I've always loved BRIGADOON specifically for its fake sets.  I know Kelly wanted to film this on actual Scottish locations, but I think the reality would have ruined the fantasy element.  Mythical Brigadoon should look like a movie set...not any real place.  In fact, somewhere in the sixties, they actually did a production of BRIGADOON for TV with Bob Goulet and Peter Falk (in the best friend role) on real locations (I don't remember if they were Scottish locations or not), but it looked all washed out and flat and did not have the ethereal, otherwordly aura of Kelly's Brigadoon.  After all, is there anything more fantastical than "better than real life" M-G-M colour?  

Yes, as anyone who's visited Scotland can attest.  Parts of that beautiful country look like something out of a fairy tale, which, of course, is what inspired Alan Jay Lerner originally to write it.  There's also a present-day example of a director using his native New Zealand to depict an otherworldly world.  Would you rather that have been shot on a soundstage too?

Another revival with added songs: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2004, 03:47:13 PM »

I was reading about the films slated for 2004 release, and was dumbstuck by this item:  In the upcoming Alexander (about Alexander the Great), directed by Oliver Stone, Colin Farrell will play Alexander and Angelina Jolie, who is one year older than Mr. Farrell, will play his mother.

Can someone please explain this to me?  Were no actresses of a suitable age available for this role?

Robin

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2004, 03:57:23 PM »

Colin Farrell will play Alexander and Angelina Jolie, who is one year older than Mr. Farrell, will play his mother.  Can someone please explain this to me?  Were no actresses of a suitable age available for this role?

They're not expecting you to think about it.  Just enjoy it as mindlessly as you're expected to.  Don't ask questions.  They just get in the way of your enjoyment.  Take four red capsules.  In ten minutes, take two more.  Help is on the way.  Buy your tickets...and be happy.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »

DR Maya, A STAR IS BORN was not MGM but rather Warner Bros.

Thanks for the correction, Matt!

Emily--Oh, sweetie, heal quickly and feel better soon!  Good painless vibes!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love Nanette Fabray...I wish she had become a bigger star.

Hmmm...I'm listening to Myths and Hymns and trying to decide if I like it.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2004, 04:04:54 PM »

I was reading about the films slated for 2004 release, and was dumbstuck by this item:  In the upcoming Alexander (about Alexander the Great), directed by Oliver Stone, Colin Farrell will play Alexander and Angelina Jolie, who is one year older than Mr. Farrell, will play his mother.
Can someone please explain this to me?  Were no actresses of a suitable age available for this role?

Nothing new in this. Wasn't Anne Bancroft around the same age as Dustin Hoffman when she played the scandalously older Mrs. Robinson?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2004, 04:09:54 PM »

Noel, try really dancing in the heather on the hill...I'm not denying Scotland's natural beauty, but filming...and filming a musical of all things...would have been exorbitant and unwieldy.  Also you'd have to contend with the dicey weather of the country.  I think MGM was wise in their decision not film it on location.  

Oh, and Peter Jackson was not above embellishing the natural wonder of his country with a lot of CGI help to make it beyond real.  Having frozen my butt on location and having worked on soundstages and backlots, I know where I like to be...that's not to say that some things just require the great outdoors.   But you know that entire Welsh coal mining village that they built on Twentieth's backlot didn't diminish How Green Was My Valley one bit for me.  Movies are dreams; I don't need 100% reality.  I like when they're better than real life.

Re: Nanette Fabray, just read this the other day in an Oscar Levant bio, A TALENT FOR GENIUS:  "Nanette Fabray had been brought to MGM to become their next Judy Garland - they had promised her a bright future in MGM musicals, but,sadly, that was not to be. The studio would break up after THE BAND WAGON and Fabray would miss out on her chance to star in other movie musicals, which she seemed born to.  A veteran of ten broadway shows but new to film, Fabray felt like an outsider among the film actors on the set.  Cyd Charisse was self-absorbed and aloof...To exacerbate matters, she felt that Levant had singled her out to be the butt of his sarcastic remarks.  Tensions ran so high on the set that when it was all over, Fabray suffered a nervous breakdown."

I met Ms. Fabray once when my show was going out of a theatre and hers was coming in.  She seemed like a very nice, vivacious lady and a total pro.  Of course, it didn't hurt that she was very complimentary about my performance.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2004, 04:14:08 PM »

A film I think looks absolutely brilliant and was totally shot on soundstages and with sfx was Coppola's operatic, lush DRACULA.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2004, 04:19:32 PM »

Wow I don't think I've EVER been so glad for a three day weekend to be over.  Back with the kids today, which is nice.  $$ is nice too.  
Topic of the day -
I'll chime in on Wizard of Oz, Singing In The Rain, and Easter Parade.  Those three made up probably 50% of my childhood movie watching.

Jay

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2004, 04:26:23 PM »

Nothing new in this. Wasn't Anne Bancroft around the same age as Dustin Hoffman when she played the scandalously older Mrs. Robinson?

True, Miss Bancroft is all of six years older than Mr. Hoffman.  In The Graduate, though, acting, lighting and makeup made the supposed age differential credible.  In the publicity shot for Alexander in yesterday's L.A. Times, Farrell and Jolie look like siblings.  Very attractive siblings of the same age.  Of course, their acting may convince us otherwise, but we'll have to wait for the film to be released for that.  Until then, I shall follow Dear Reader Robin's advice and go back to the pills and unquestioning admiration of all Hollywood product.

td

• td
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2004, 04:27:34 PM »

Another thought about soundstages:  My feeling is if you're obsessing about the scenery and vistas, you're not in the story and it must be failing.  Drama is about people; not pretty pictures.

Excellent point, Mr. Pogue!
Ken Hanke over at the Scarlet Street forums could learn a lot from your few sentences; he's obsessing about the *unreality* of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN's sets, BUT, is reluctant to admit that his own thought betray him when it comes to the sets in MOULIN ROUGE! (that damned exclamation point is indeed a part of that film's title).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2004, 04:28:36 PM »

OMG Emily, OUCH!!!!!!

Feel better.

td

• td
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2004, 04:33:27 PM »

With that kind of thinking, DR Jay, we never would have had Angela Lansbury as Laurence Harvey's mother. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2004, 04:38:44 PM »

Break from proofing.  The galley is actually in pretty good shape so far.  All the fixes are formatting issues and can really mostly be done globally.  

Jay

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2004, 04:44:05 PM »

With that kind of thinking, DR Jay, we never would have had Angela Lansbury as Laurence Harvey's mother. . .

O.K.  I'm outvoted.  I still think it's weird.  If you want to see the two of them in a publicity shot for the movie, click on the link:

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-ca-gritten18jan18,2,2623711.story

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2004, 04:49:09 PM »

Good later afternoon/early evening!

Well, I've done nothing today. Well, almost nothing.  I walked to the grocery store, bought a few things, but mainly scouted out items and sales for my re-stock the fridge trip tomorrow.  -Oh, and I did also stop into 7-11 to buy a lottery ticket... One never knows...

Other than that, I've been catching up various things on and off line.... Looks like a good time to get back in to "The Young & The Restless".  ;-)

OH - Jason Graae is on the rerun of "Friends" that I'm watching right now - as a casting director for a soap opera.

But it was a nice walk, and I think I'm going to try to make that walk each day this week since the weather is supposed to dry this week here in Richmond.

And Healing Vibes to DR Emily!
*Hand injuries are a big "issue" for me. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »

DR Emily, that sounds so painful. Hope you heal well and quickly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2004, 05:44:42 PM »

Some personages here at HHW are not keeping the home fries burning, are they?  They are SLACKING, aren't they?  Oh, well, fine.  We'll have an unexpected and thoroughly annoying new low today.  

Panni

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2004, 05:49:42 PM »

I have absolutely nothing to say, but I'll say it just to be of service. (I should've been  nun.) I'm just enjoying the blessed silence as the heavy construction has stopped for the day.

Panni

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2004, 05:52:20 PM »

BTW Jay - When I was still acting, I did an educational anti-smoking film in which I played a mother who sets a bad example for her kids by smoking. I was maybe all of 23 and my kids were around 10! They stuck a wig on me and I looked - like a 23-year-old in a wig.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up