Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH  (Read 89321 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were reckoned with, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they, too, are fighting the good fight and must be reckoned with come hell or high or even low water.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:47:20 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:51:48 PM »

And the word of the day is: MOLIMINOUS!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:25 PM »

As Der Brucer noted, Brunswick Stew was, traditionally, made with squirrel.

I've not had "traditional", though.  I suspect, in some parts of Appalachia, that road kill has ended up in many a batch of stew.

Possums, squirrel, field mice, deer...skunks...and other assorted animals that strayed.

I have a batch cooking in my 6-quart crockpot right now.  It is just getting to the point where all the ingredients are "merging" in both flavor and aroma.  And I'm going to let it slow-cook another three hours while I attempt to "sleep."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:59:57 PM »

I sincerely hope the rest of this week moves along smartly....with no moliminous crises or events to stress me out.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:00:48 AM »

On one of the big theater websites, they have reader blogs for NYMF shows.  The following blog reviewing the Brain was fun enough to share:

Aliens trying to take over Earth, will-benders, audience participation, and "feel-o-rama" (where audience members can feel what the characters feel) -- it's all part of The Brain From Planet X!

Fred and Joyce Bunson (Rob Evan and Amy Bodnar) are a typical nuclear family living in the San Fernando Valley in the '50s. He is a determined inventor, and she is a typical, doting housewife. Into this conflict-free environment, a UFO drops in, containing the ruler of Planet X, a large brain (Barry Pearl), and his minions, Zubrick (Cason Murphy), who gets a *tad* annoyed at humans' "stupidity," and Yoni (Alet Taylor), who greatly enjoys the male human physical anatomy. They are supposedly evolved humans, who rely solely on intelligence, and see no need for feelings, love, or family. They plan to take over the planet, and eraticate humans of these weak entities. Fred leads the team to prevent this alien take over, but will the aliens get a hold of Joyce to foil Fred's plan?

The show is appropriately campy, silly, and fun. There is an added level of audience interaction, both through the use of the aforementioned "feel-o-rama," and because one "lucky" audience member gets to have his brain tapped (which is of course accompanied by a company-wide tap dance). I was one of the audience members in consideration, but The Brain dubbed me "too smart." Takes one to know one, I guess. (This has also provided me with a wonderful lead-in to a story: since The Brain is played by Barry Pearl, who played "Doody" in the Grease movie, I've been telling my friends: "Doody says I'm too smart!)

The show makes absolutely no attempt to take itself seriously, which would not at all be appropriate in this wacky spoof. The title song is spoofy (don't care if it's not a word) and appropriate, complete with a perfect final pose each time it is reprised. The act one closer, "Now," is truly a powerful moment: each character we have encountered puts their own spin on how things will turn out...it's almost as if they're singing about what happens...in one more day...or something like that. (If there is any doubt, the characters all begin marching as the characters in Les Miz do at the end of the first act). I've decided something I love about these shows is the little references to other musicals. It's very likely that some audience members are theatre fanatics, such as yours truly, and will get and appreciate the jokes, whereas nothing is taken away from those who don't get them.

The show features several standout performances. The first comes from Amy Bodnar as Joyce. She is great at whatever her role entails, whether it's being a typical suburban housewife, changing her ways and lashing out at her husband and daughter, calling her daughter a bitch, or just staring with a blank expression on her face. The latter, especially, is hysterical every time she does it. Another standout is Cason Murphy as Zubrick. He has an amazing stage presence, and truly turns his two songs into the giant production numbers they are supposed to be. He is a true triple-threat, with some great dancing, a great voice, and certainly wonderful comedic acting. Barry Pearl also deserves mention for his turn as The Brain, if nothing else for creating a character when his head is stuck inside a huge brain, and his body inside a black coat. I couldn't help staring at him, and imaging how frustrating it must be to have no use of your arms and hands.

Oh, and there's a great scene involving hot men naked except for golden swimsuits. Enough said.

There's been a trend in theatre these days, of both adapting movies into musicals, and of overdoing satire/ironic mentions. While The Brain From Planet X indulges in both of these practices, it works where this show is concerned. I mean with the title of the show, what do you expect, the next Sweeney Todd? The show is sure to put you in a good mood, and even manages to leave you with a heartfelt message about the importance of family, and of not complaining when things aren't bad. Not to mention an important moral: men should get their own beer. What more could you want from a show entitled The Brain From Planet X?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:03:51 AM »

And so to bed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 12:06:30 AM »

Should men, I wonder, have to peel their own grapes?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:07:38 AM »

I feel like frenzying for about 8 or 9 posts.

Just for fun, of course.

No other reason at all.

;)

FJL

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:07:40 AM »

It's past my bedtime.  And almost time to wake up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:02 AM »

Oh, my, yes.

A frenzy would be fun.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:55 AM »

It's past my bedtime.  And almost time to wake up.

You need to throw caution to the wind and embrace the Sandman.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 12:11:17 AM »

It doesn't seem possible that the past week of postings from NYC is now over...with all the Hainsies/Kimlets returned to their regular lives...and leaving only a handful of New Yorkers to the daily task of dining out, snacking out, pigging out, etc. etc.

For all you with Levain "habits"...and for those who will continue to speak to us of Levains....just remember that they're cookies....they're not "love."

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12:51 AM »

And for those XXL cookies I've seen photos of...oof.

I want three of 'em.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 12:14:07 AM »

I encourage any and everyone here to watch, tonight at 10 p.m., "Life" on NBC.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 12:16:06 AM »

Tonight I watched "Cavemen," "Carpoolers" and "Reaper" (off DVR).

All cute.  All fun.  

But I'm not sure I'll watch any of them, other than "Reaper", again.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:16:33 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »

Congrautlations, JMK, on your eBay win.  I know how much FF means to you.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 12:17:39 AM »

I think that now I shall call it a "night" and say "ciao for now."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »

Tonight I watched "Cavemen," "Carpoolers" and "Reaper" (off DVR).

All cute.  All fun.  

But I'm not sure I'll watch any of them, other than "Reaper", again.

I watched "Cavemen" and "Carpoolers."  I liked "Carpoolers" but "Cavemen"...not so much.  It wasn't horrible but I only laughed a couple of times. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 01:01:34 AM »

I think that now I shall call it a "night" and say "ciao for now."

And with that...Congrats on your 14000th Post! ;)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 02:01:31 AM »

Wow, DR RLP - That's a lot of posts!!!   CONGRATULATIONS!!

singdaw

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 02:02:04 AM »

DR Jeanne - Ah. Thank you.  Finally, a lot of things are starting to make sense!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »

THE ENABLER was enabled?  By our own DR Edisaurus?  Oh, my!

singdaw

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 02:02:55 AM »

Lovely new avatar, DR Samantha!!!!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 02:03:26 AM »

DR dB - in some parts, guinea pig is considered quite the delicacy!  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 04:49:52 AM »

Good morning, all! I definitely see a plumber in my future!  The major leak has been stpped but each time I use the kitchen sink, there's still a leak- perhaps several in the pipe - going on and the super hasn't repaired the damage, only stopped the major one.  The apartment's still a mess: everything under the sink I didn't toss out is drying and waiing for things to be corrected.  I think tomorrow I will go to Tekserve, which is four blocks from Toyland, and buy the new Mac.  My Mac Man is back on Monday, so that should make everything work out in scheduling the new setup.

This morning, Toyland and a bit of work on Montgomery & Stone, filing away a few things, and a possible visit from DR Ginny and Richard.  Then the NYPL.  Tonight, I'm seeing DR Noel's show and attendfing a birthday bash for our choreographic assistant Cassie.  I hope there will be a lot of Brain folk attending.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 04:53:28 AM »

We're working our way slowly through The Closer, Season 3, on the DVR.

SPOILER!!

Last night, we enjoyed the episode about Bridezilla.  So many laughs!

Tomovoz

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 04:55:02 AM »

Good morning USA.  We just finished watching "Father & Son". It was marginally more exciting than The Cherry Orchard!

There is some beautiful imagery in Russian Films but they are so ponderous! (and I don't like action films)

Goodnight from OZ
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:02:45 AM »

Tonight, I'm seeing DR Noel's show.

So are we! See ya there.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 05:08:02 AM »

On Sunday Dear Jose gave me three Levain cookies to share with DP Anthony. Since I got home late (almost 11:30) and Anthony was already asleep I did not open the bag but instead, placed it in the refrigerator. On Monday Anthony has class and doesn't get home until close to 7pm so we have dinner separately (I was also riding the stationary bike when he came home). He ate some dinner while I cleaned up and then I went to bed (around 8:15pm). Yesterday was the first chance we had to open the bag. After dinner we decided to eat the oatmeal raisin wonder. I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to take off the chill and then I cut it in half so we each got our own large piece. Those cookies are downright dangerous! But, we still have two left. A complete chocolate concoction and a chocolate chip cookie. Perhaps we will partake before we leave to see Noel's show. Yummm, anticipation is half the fun.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 05:08:28 AM »

Good morning David and Tom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up