Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH  (Read 89348 times)

Ben

Re:A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 05:08:46 AM »

And since we're so close,

Welcome to Page 2

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 05:09:13 AM »

Otto Bremer is calling. He's just about finished so I must attend to his needs.

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 05:10:59 AM »

Good morning, DR Ben.  Good night, DR Tomovoz.

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 05:11:56 AM »

DR Ben, I laud your willpower.  Those cookies would be gone in a flash in our house!  :)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 05:42:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: MOLIMINOUS!

And The Song Of The Day-  I'M LATE

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 05:46:08 AM »

Ron-

Congratulations to the Original

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 05:50:31 AM »

Samantha-

Love your new Avatar,

Since I live in Florida-When are you coming down and where are you spending your week??

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »

DR Matt H.

A few posers for you-

In your valued opinion what are the top Five Criterion releases so far?

In your valued opinion what are the Five releases that you would like Criterion to tackle?

Is it possible that some manufacturer will combine in one unit the two Hi-Def systems(HD DVD and Blu-Ray)?

If not-What system would you recommend and Why?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 07:21:35 AM »

Good morning!

True to the forecast, not nearly as cool this morning. Yes, I still have the central A/C off and the attic fan running with doors and windows open, but it's SLIGHTLY cool air, and that's all. Very disappointing that we're not quite out of the grip of summer yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 07:23:10 AM »

Early this morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 07:30:26 AM »

Early this morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

DR Laura- Beautiful-ARIZONA seems to be a State to be reckoned with.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2007, 07:32:19 AM »

DR Matt H.

A few posers for you-

In your valued opinion what are the top Five Criterion releases so far?

In your valued opinion what are the Five releases that you would like Criterion to tackle?

Is it possible that some manufacturer will combine in one unit the two Hi-Def systems(HD DVD and Blu-Ray)?

If not-What system would you recommend and Why?

1. So many to choose from, but the ones I have admired the most:

1. SEVEN SAMAURAI
2. THE THIRD MAN
3. PITFALL/WOMAN IN THE DUNES/THE FACE OF ANOTHER
4. THE SCARLET EMPRESS
5. ACE IN THE HOLE

But that's really the tip of the iceburg.

2. I'd love to see Universal give Criterion the rights to the Dietrich/Durbin/West movies that haven't already been released. They did such a fine job with THE SCARLET EMPRESS that I'd love to see what they'd do with SHANGHAI EXPRESS. As for foreign films, it looks like all of the Janus collection will eventually be done by them, so I won't waste any votes on wanting those. We'l eventualy have them.

3. Two manufacturers have already jumped into the combo fray. LG did the first one with ful Blu-ray capability but slightly crippled HD-DVD capability, and Samsung is supposed to release a combo unit that fully embraces both Blu-ray and HD-DVD in November. However, the prices right now are prohibitive. You could buy two separate machines for about $300 less, so those combo machine prices have got to come down before they're viable.

4. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD offer equal quality (and they both upconvert standard definition DVDs equally wel, an important consideration). If you're only going to get one, you need to then consider the software side of the ledger. What movies would you MOST want in high def, and then see which format supports that particular film.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2007, 07:32:36 AM »

BK-

Fingers Crossed

Toes Crossed

Eyes Crossed

Marimbas and Vibes for THE EVENT to take Place!

singdaw

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »

DearReaderLauraDR - that's one stunning photograph!  Thanks!  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2007, 07:35:11 AM »

The most widely heralded new show of the year premieres tonight on ABC at 8: PUSHING DAISIES. I will be watching.

singdaw

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2007, 07:37:33 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2007, 07:40:26 AM »

Well, I think FUNNY FACE is one of the real movie musical masterpieces. (I'd rank it at the VERY top if Astaire were twenty years younger.) I think every number is staged and performed brilliantly, and the three leads are perfection. For a musical of the era, the plot's a bubble on which to hang those deliriously wonderful Gershwin tunes, and the three additions to the score by Edens and Gershe are delightful. And pictorially, I can't think of another movie that can touch it for inventiveness.

As I said last week when I first watched the new DVD, the new transfer is spectacular and puts the old one (which I always thought looked digital and ugly) in the dust bin.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2007, 07:41:27 AM »

DR SINGDAW-

Trick or Treat?

Is it Halloween already?

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2007, 07:44:26 AM »

I got up early enough this corning to read the paper, clean the den, and then watch two CSI: NY episodes. One was a murder using an icicle as a weapon. The other involved a serial killer who was bumping off people who had had a part in causing his innocent brother's arrest and conviction for murder. Good shows and the DVD images often look high definition in quality.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »

Tonight is a final try for PRIVATE PRACTICE to hook me, and I'll also give DIRTY SEXY MONEY a second look. (I liked the first look very much last week.)

singdaw

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »

Is it Halloween already?

No...

Someone in the office brough in a jar of these, and it just stuck in my brain...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »

Wednesday Vibes for MR BK to do what must be done.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »

Congrats to DR JMK....those certainly were lovely photos of Phyllis Anderson - aka Frances Farmer, reservations clerk at the San Francisco Sheraton Palace Hotel.....et al.

Miss Karen

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2007, 07:52:17 AM »

On one of the big theater websites, they have reader blogs for NYMF shows.  The following blog reviewing the Brain was fun enough to share:

Aliens trying to take over Earth, will-benders, audience participation, and "feel-o-rama" (where audience members can feel what the characters feel) -- it's all part of The Brain From Planet X!

Fred and Joyce Bunson (Rob Evan and Amy Bodnar) are a typical nuclear family living in the San Fernando Valley in the '50s. He is a determined inventor, and she is a typical, doting housewife. Into this conflict-free environment, a UFO drops in, containing the ruler of Planet X, a large brain (Barry Pearl), and his minions, Zubrick (Cason Murphy), who gets a *tad* annoyed at humans' "stupidity," and Yoni (Alet Taylor), who greatly enjoys the male human physical anatomy. They are supposedly evolved humans, who rely solely on intelligence, and see no need for feelings, love, or family. They plan to take over the planet, and eraticate humans of these weak entities. Fred leads the team to prevent this alien take over, but will the aliens get a hold of Joyce to foil Fred's plan?

The show is appropriately campy, silly, and fun. There is an added level of audience interaction, both through the use of the aforementioned "feel-o-rama," and because one "lucky" audience member gets to have his brain tapped (which is of course accompanied by a company-wide tap dance). I was one of the audience members in consideration, but The Brain dubbed me "too smart." Takes one to know one, I guess. (This has also provided me with a wonderful lead-in to a story: since The Brain is played by Barry Pearl, who played "Doody" in the Grease movie, I've been telling my friends: "Doody says I'm too smart!)

The show makes absolutely no attempt to take itself seriously, which would not at all be appropriate in this wacky spoof. The title song is spoofy (don't care if it's not a word) and appropriate, complete with a perfect final pose each time it is reprised. The act one closer, "Now," is truly a powerful moment: each character we have encountered puts their own spin on how things will turn out...it's almost as if they're singing about what happens...in one more day...or something like that. (If there is any doubt, the characters all begin marching as the characters in Les Miz do at the end of the first act). I've decided something I love about these shows is the little references to other musicals. It's very likely that some audience members are theatre fanatics, such as yours truly, and will get and appreciate the jokes, whereas nothing is taken away from those who don't get them.

The show features several standout performances. The first comes from Amy Bodnar as Joyce. She is great at whatever her role entails, whether it's being a typical suburban housewife, changing her ways and lashing out at her husband and daughter, calling her daughter a bitch, or just staring with a blank expression on her face. The latter, especially, is hysterical every time she does it. Another standout is Cason Murphy as Zubrick. He has an amazing stage presence, and truly turns his two songs into the giant production numbers they are supposed to be. He is a true triple-threat, with some great dancing, a great voice, and certainly wonderful comedic acting. Barry Pearl also deserves mention for his turn as The Brain, if nothing else for creating a character when his head is stuck inside a huge brain, and his body inside a black coat. I couldn't help staring at him, and imaging how frustrating it must be to have no use of your arms and hands.

Oh, and there's a great scene involving hot men naked except for golden swimsuits. Enough said.

There's been a trend in theatre these days, of both adapting movies into musicals, and of overdoing satire/ironic mentions. While The Brain From Planet X indulges in both of these practices, it works where this show is concerned. I mean with the title of the show, what do you expect, the next Sweeney Todd? The show is sure to put you in a good mood, and even manages to leave you with a heartfelt message about the importance of family, and of not complaining when things aren't bad. Not to mention an important moral: men should get their own beer. What more could you want from a show entitled The Brain From Planet X?

Again! (Brain reference) -- just in case you missed it when bk posted it, not just because I want you to read the part about Cason, again!  ;) .... dang, why couldn't this blogger have been a casting agent and handed Boo-Key a card and told him "Call me. I have a role for you!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »

And with that...Congrats on your 14000th Post! ;)

[blush]

Awwwwwww.....

Thanks, George.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:05 AM »

Rainy today
But that's okay
A little rain
Keeps trouble away.

Miss Karen

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

I love candy corn -- and those little candy pumpkins!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2007, 07:54:06 AM »

Wow, DR RLP - That's a lot of posts!!!   CONGRATULATIONS!!

It IS a lot of posts, isn't it.  It took me quite a while, too.  

Of course, with you and Miss Karen "egging" me on, I got there a lot sooner, rather than later!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 07:54:12 AM »

A new Mac?

DR ELMORE is part of that weird Apple Cult.....I gave my Apple away....after almost ten years of PC, it seemed backwards to me.

Of course almost everyone I know who is CREATIVE uses the MAC....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2007, 07:55:05 AM »

Congratulations to DR RLP on his 14,000 posts....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up