Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH  (Read 89346 times)

singdaw

Re:A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »

Of course, with you and Miss Karen "egging" me on

We're good eggs, we are!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »

Excited to read more FRIENDS and STARFIGHTER posts as the day progresses.

DR EDISAURUS - thanks for the picture of the Plaza Cake....that is quite a baking accomplishment!  I wonder if the Oak Bar is in there someplace?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2007, 07:56:48 AM »

Even if DR Miss Karen does sometimes hide her lustrous locks under a grey schmatte...  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2007, 07:57:29 AM »

Ron-

Congratulations to the Original

Thank you!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2007, 08:01:49 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I was hoping to sleep till eight-thirty or nine, but I'm still on NY time, I think.

Speaking of Macs, you know what I also miss about NY, NY?  The mac and cheese that seems to be available at every restaurant there.  Here?  Not on your tintype.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »

Rainy today
But that's okay
A little rain
Keeps trouble away.

We're supposed to get rain later today, too, but right now, there isn't a cloud in the sky that I can see outside my office window.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2007, 08:05:20 AM »

Well, I think FUNNY FACE is one of the real movie musical masterpieces. (I'd rank it at the VERY top if Astaire were twenty years younger.) I think every number is staged and performed brilliantly, and the three leads are perfection. For a musical of the era, the plot's a bubble on which to hang those deliriously wonderful Gershwin tunes, and the three additions to the score by Edens and Gershe are delightful. And pictorially, I can't think of another movie that can touch it for inventiveness.

As I said last week when I first watched the new DVD, the new transfer is spectacular and puts the old one (which I always thought looked digital and ugly) in the dust bin.

I am looking forward to seeing this 50th Anniversary DVD.

I, too, love this musical.  So many wonderful moments, glorious photography.  I don't have a problem with Astaire's age difference vis a vis Hepburn.  All I have to do is remember "Love in the Afternoon" and what seemed like a love story between Audrey and her great-great-great grandfather (Gary Cooper) and Astaire looks downright young by comparison.

There is one number that seems out of place in the film -- the dance that Astaire does in the courtyard of Hepburn's hotel.  It's a "novelty" number.  BUT...they're in Paris, for gosh sake, and he's affecting a "bullfighter" character.  I've always grimaced during that number.

The rest, though, seems like sheer heaven to me.  That fashion montage is incredible.  And the non-Gershwin "Bonjour, Paris" is one of the most inspried original musical numbers I've ever seen.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2007, 08:05:27 AM »

My Mickey-Judy box FINALY shipped on Sunday, so with luck it should be here today. I'd love to watch BABES ON BROADWAY, my favorite of their four big musicals together, but it's a bit long and I have other things staring me in the face that must get watched. We'll see how I manage my time this afternoon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2007, 08:06:39 AM »

No...

Someone in the office brough in a jar of these, and it just stuck in my brain...

The only thing "stuck" in mine, currently, remains "Poetry Man."  

I don't know why.  And I still don't mind.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2007, 08:07:52 AM »

Congratulations to DR RLP on his 14,000 posts....

Mercy buckets!

Miss Karen

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »

On Sunday Dear Jose gave me three Levain cookies to share with DP Anthony. Since I got home late (almost 11:30) and Anthony was already asleep I did not open the bag but instead, placed it in the refrigerator. On Monday Anthony has class and doesn't get home until close to 7pm so we have dinner separately (I was also riding the stationary bike when he came home). He ate some dinner while I cleaned up and then I went to bed (around 8:15pm). Yesterday was the first chance we had to open the bag. After dinner we decided to eat the oatmeal raisin wonder. I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to take off the chill and then I cut it in half so we each got our own large piece. Those cookies are downright dangerous! But, we still have two left. A complete chocolate concoction and a chocolate chip cookie. Perhaps we will partake before we leave to see Noel's show. Yummm, anticipation is half the fun.

You must be aliens -- pod people!  There is no way humanly possible that three Levain cookies could have made it home intact!  I kept waiting to read that when you got home and Ant was asleep that you ate them all ... you put them in the frig?!!  Then I thought you'd write Ant ate them all while you were on the stationary bike and ... nothing ... then I thought you'd write that you found the bag empty the next morning after you went to bed early ... no, the 3 Levain cookies just stayed in the frig?! ... and then you write that you actually gave Ant half of the oatmeal one ... and that after eating one of them, the other two are still in the bag?!!  You and Ant must be from Planet X!!

Miss Karen

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2007, 08:10:19 AM »

Albeit, really wonderful pod people -- Ben was so nice and charming when I got to meet him in NYC ...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2007, 08:10:39 AM »

You must be aliens -- pod people!  There is no way humanly possible that three Levain cookies could have made it home intact!  I kept waiting to read that when you got home and Ant was asleep that you ate them all ... you put them in the frig?!!  Then I thought you'd write Ant ate them all while you were on the stationary bike and ... nothing ... then I thought you'd write that you found the bag empty the next morning after you went to bed early ... no, the 3 Levain cookies just stayed in the frig?! ... and then you write that you actually gave Ant half of the oatmeal one ... and that after eating one of them, the other two are still in the bag?!!  You and Ant must be from Planet X!!

I kept expecting him to tell us that after having missed Anthony he decided Anthony had had his chance and the cookies had become "fair game."

Frankly, three cookies and me = crumbs in a bag half an hour later.

singdaw

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2007, 08:10:40 AM »

LOL, DR Miss Karen...our minds work exactly alike!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »

I am tempted to get the MICKEY-JUDY set....grew up on their films on TV and always loved to watch them together.....

Parts of FUNNY FACE are lovely to me.....first saw it on "Frances Farmer Presents" oh so many years ago......and I always laugh at the conclusion of the "Quality Woman" fashion sequence....and Hepburn's fashion montage...."take the picture....take the picture" is breath taking.  I don't like the song "'S'wonderful...." but I like the staging.

I don't want to say I don't enjoy FUNNY FACE...and I have been thinking since someone ask me...and I don't know who would have been better than Astaire....

The courtyard dance is a problem for me, too, DR RLP.  

But anyway....I have a copy....the original DVD release and it will do fine for me.  Audrey's solo at the Beat club is also terrific.

Wait a minute....I guess I do like this movie.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2007, 08:11:57 AM »

LOL, DR Miss Karen...our minds work exactly alike!  :)

Spoo-kay!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2007, 08:12:02 AM »

Writer-Actor-Director Charles B. Griffith has passed away.

Miss Karen

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2007, 08:12:16 AM »

We're good eggs, we are!  :)

So right you are, Ric-AShaw!

(As always!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2007, 08:12:30 AM »

He was part of a motley crew.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0341458/

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2007, 08:15:19 AM »

Does anyone do tintypes anymore?

If so, where can I get one?

If not, is it a lost art?

Miss Karen

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »

I kept expecting him to tell us that after having missed Anthony he decided Anthony had had his chance and the cookies had become "fair game."

Frankly, three cookies and me = crumbs in a bag half an hour later.

We're talking Levain cookies here -- there would be no crumbs in that bag, trust me. Empty, nadda, nothing, zip, zero, zilch -- cleaned out -- you don't even want to miss a tiny morsel of those things.  And I could beat your half hour easily ....

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »

Heading down to check the mail and then start on lunch preparation.

WBBL.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2007, 08:19:53 AM »

Good morning, HHW!

Just a few minutes before I have to scoot and tend to errands.

CONGRATS to DR RON on his impressive milestone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2007, 08:20:10 AM »

I know there are many people who adore Funny Face (td does, too, and said so when I brought it up here last week) and I only wish I did and I sure have tried over the years since seeing it in the theater back when it first came out.  In fact, I'd say it was one of only a literal handful of movies that I just didn't cotton to as a kid.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:59 AM »

Re: Levain. I try to limit my sugar intake, but I gotta tell ya, these babies are not only fabulous, they are TOTALLY addictive. My two didn't last long at all.

Miss Karen

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »

It IS a lot of posts, isn't it.  It took me quite a while, too.  

Of course, with you and Miss Karen "egging" me on, I got there a lot sooner, rather than later!

:D

Hey, you're supposed to blame Jose -- not sweet SunDevil and his gratuitous sidekick SheDevil ...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »

EDI,
On the deductability of trips, my understanding has always been that it's not an issue of whether you make a profit, it's whether you were TRYING to. I will, of course, bow to FJL's judgement on all tax matters.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »

CASON,
You WILL post that pic taken in the sublet, won't you? It shows our two about-to-hit-it-big Brainiacs from a very, shall we say, human perspective?

Miss Karen

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2007, 08:29:16 AM »

Oh, SingSong, when I asked bk later if he enjoyed the "fish" (pronounced fee-sh!)I sent home in the brown bag with him that night in NYC, he said he had thought it was going to be a donut ... heh-heh-heh....and he just tossed it, the ungrateful little ....

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2007, 08:32:47 AM »

Oh, and let's not forget

PLUMBING VIBES TO DR ELMORE!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up