Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH  (Read 89328 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:A DAY TO BE RECKONED WITH
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2007, 10:07:08 AM »

Oh, and let's not forget

PLUMBING VIBES TO DR ELMORE!

Thank you! The plumber will be arriving tomorrow between 2 and 4.  I love my super but some days he has the charm of a turd in a toilet bowl. He was not happy when I showed up at his door 30 minutes ago and said I needed a plumber.  But it's all taken care pf.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2007, 10:08:57 AM »

Good plumbing vibes to DR Elmore...and just remember, when the plumber arrives to fix the sink, things don't always go the way they do in those cheap VCR movies you have!

Obviously spoken by someone who knows the disappointments in trying to pick up an Indian taxi driver on the way to JFK!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

....but it is pretty....and it was on sale (no returns, you know).

Well, you can always:

[A] save it to wear to your next "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" theme party

save it to wear to bk's fundraiser, when/if it ever happens

[C] donate it to Senator Larry Craig's defense fund.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »

Good plumbing vibes to DR Elmore...and just remember, when the plumber arrives to fix the sink, things don't always go the way they do in those cheap VCR movies you have!

And, DR MBarnum, unlike you, when I say my pipes need a plumber, it's not a euphemism!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:15:25 AM by elmore3003 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »

(walking softly)

(whispering)

...is it me, or is DR Elmore3003 (the magnificent!!!) just a little bit on the snarky side this morning?....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »

...and should I be worried?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2007, 10:19:53 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I was hoping to sleep till eight-thirty or nine, but I'm still on NY time, I think.

Speaking of Macs, you know what I also miss about NY, NY?  The mac and cheese that seems to be available at every restaurant there.  Here?  Not on your tintype.

Just don't order it at the Brooklyn Diner!! Right DR Samantha?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

For ask bk day:

Do you remember either of these films that aired on the Z Channel:

"Writer's Block", a black and white short about a writer's nightmarish fantasy as he tries to start the first page of his novel and gets hit by giant typewriter keys, ants crawling out and all over the pages, etc.?  

Greg and I both worked on that---in fact, that's where we met!

or "American Signoff", which was the song "Oh beautiful, for spacious skies", featuring a woman dressed in purple ("purple mountains") standing on the wing of a plane?

Just wondering...

Didn't see either, but, of course, ended up writing a mystery entitled Writer's Block.

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »

Ohh..

I guess the Plaza and the Algonquin both had/have Oak Rooms.  Or did the Oak Room move to the Algonquin after the Plaza closed.  Or... ???

My apologies for the correction, DR singdaw.  -Would you like a piece of Monkey Cake?

I'D like a piece of Monkey Cake!!!  I tried to get one in NYC, but NOOO they were out that day.   Heck, I'd like the recipe and I'd make my own monkey cake

Cillaliz

« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »

No problem, DR JoseSPiano!  And...tough as it is for me, I'll pass this time on the Monkey Cake...trying to atone for some of the excesses from this past weekend!  :)

Well pass that cake over here DR Singdaw

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »

Doesn't fit me......but it will fit someone, I am sure...otherwise it will end up in the costume department of The Putnam County Playhouse.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »

My family celebrated all sorts of special occasions at the Oak Room.  It's in the Plaza, and I hope it'll resurface after the renovation.

A friend of mine grew up at the Algonquin.  I'm sure he'll confirm that if the Algonquin's calling anything The Oak Room, it's a recent innovation.

The Algonquin's Oak Room opened in 1939
http://www.algonquinhotel.com/cab_history.html

Cillaliz

« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

Oh, I am always trying to make a profit, or at least pay myself for the work!

Of course, I also could have been lining up a subject matter for the next documentary I work on and making contacts regarding that.

And I had breakfast with DF John, who talked to me about working on the film he has coming up, so...

He mentioned a post house in Atlanta (in the same building where I edited THE BRAIN) and asked if I would be comfortable editing there. Now that I'm typing this, maybe he was asking whether I would be comfortable and therefore assuming he would be, too? I guess I won't worry about it until he actually gets his investors lined up, which is one reason why he and James Ivory are coming to Atlanta.

Or doing research for your documentary on Egg Cream. We discussed it and Greg took photos...you even tried an alcoholic version just to see what it tasted like.  More research.   I know I can deduct trips for my legal education, I would think you could deduct trips for research for your documentary....this is not legal advice!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »

This just in:

Sacco and Vanzetti has been selected to receive the fourteenth John O'Connor Film Award of the American Historical Association.

The 2008 AHA annual meeting is in Washington D.C. in January, and the film will be screened for more than 5,000 history professors and high-school teachers.

Hooray! Maybe we'll go!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »

On the other hand, I do not think I can stretch my conversations with Der Brucer about immigration law into a legit reason to deduct the trip.  It was interesting to find we agree....hey Der B - call your senators and tell them to vote for the DREAM act.  

Sorry, don't mean to get political here, it's just that we agreed and I have to savor that while it lasts :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »

BK, I too find Funny Face a bit of an ordeal to watch.

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »

This just in:

Sacco and Vanzetti has been selected to receive the fourteenth John O'Connor Film Award of the American Historical Association.

The 2008 AHA annual meeting is in Washington D.C. in January, and the film will be screened for more than 5,000 history professors and high-school teachers.

Hooray! Maybe we'll go!

COOL BEANS!!!! Congrats. You guys really deserve it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »

I better grab some lunch today hasn't been too financially productive, but we took a bunch of photos for the website.  I shudder to think what he's going to charge me for this, lol.  I'm doing more photos and still working on the content.  Hopefully we'll get that done.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2007, 10:37:30 AM »

Here's a rather fun Rant against Pachelbel's Canon in D from "YouTube.com".

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2007, 10:42:10 AM »

Late this afternoon I will be going to Mercy Hospital's Women's Night Out.  http://www.mercysiouxcity.com/womansnightout/
It's a lot of fun. They have tickets for 3000 (1500 tonight and 1500 tomorrow) and sell out in about a day or so. Wine, makeovers, massages, products for your home or you - then dinner and a commedienne.  What fun.   Can't wait

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »

(walking softly)

(whispering)

...is it me, or is DR Elmore3003 (the magnificent!!!) just a little bit on the snarky side this morning?....

I revised my original post a bit, but yes, I am being snarky: the cast members without representation had six weeks to get agents and casting folk into that theatre to see their work.  The fact that two of them who got good mention are no longer in Manhattan and can't even follow up the good press with personal calls and/or visits means it's now a lost advantage.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:17:25 AM by elmore3003 »

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »

I am sitting at the table of a woman who is running for mayor. We recently changed our form of government and now the mayor is directly elected. So next Tuesday is the primary.   I don't know Maria, so it will be interesting to get to know her and decide if I want to vote for her.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2007, 10:46:03 AM »

For those of you who know that Stephen Lynch won was nominated for a Tony award as Best Actor in a musical for "The Wedding Singer," here is a look at the Stephen Lynch I have been a fan of for many years doing one of his wonderful songs..."If I Were A Priest".

Not for the SQUEAMISH or easily OFFENDED!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:50:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2007, 10:48:16 AM »

For those of you who know that Stephen Lynch won a Tony award as Best Actor in a musical for "The Wedding Singer," here is a look at the Stephen Lynch I have been a fan of for many years doing one of his wonderful songs..."If I Were A Priest".

Stephen Lynch didn't win a Tony for Best Actor in a musical for The Wedding Singer. He was nominated, but didn't win.

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »

Actor (Musical)

2006 Actor (Musical) Winner - John Lloyd Young, Jersey Boys

Nominees: Michael Cerveris Sweeney Todd
                  Harry Connick, Jr., The Pajama Game
                  Stephen Lynch, The Wedding Singer
                  Bob Martin, The Drowsy Chaperone

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:50:49 AM by Cillaliz »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2007, 10:50:24 AM »

Stephen Lynch didn't win a Tony for Best Actor in a musical for The Wedding Singer. He was nominated, but didn't win.

Duly noted...post corrected.  I misremembered badly.

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »

Duly noted...post corrected.  I misremembered badly.

That's ok.  I'm just hungry and being a little cranky....time to get food
LATERS

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2007, 10:52:05 AM »

Again!

What?? they neglected to mention his parentage!

(and relatives...)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2007, 10:54:35 AM »

I read Munch to do!  :)

Yeah, well, that, too. (word, comma, word, comma) As you'll see in a minute.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »

Here's another Lynch classic that is for MATURE AUDIENCES Only .
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up