Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEEDING  (Read 67542 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SPEEDING
« Reply #270 on: October 07, 2007, 08:12:13 PM »

Welcome Home, DR Ginny and DH Richard!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2007, 08:14:32 PM »

A cortisone shot, a "Z-Pak" and a nasal spray...

"I'll have what she's having" (a When Harry Met Sally reference)

DR Vixmom - we must have the same thing.  My rib cage aches from so much coughing and I'm very short of breath.  Fortunately, I'd already taken tomorrow as a vacation day, so I'll try to see the doctor.  Hope you feel better soon!

And, DR Edi, I'm so sorry to hear about your diverticulitis.  Be careful if you take the Vicodin - taking it following oral surgery several years landed me in the ER with much the same problem Callie had a couple of weeks ago  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #272 on: October 07, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »

DR MBarnum, if you haven't adjusted any of the picture controls from the menu (contrast, brightness, color, tiny, sharpness), you're looking at it in dynamic/intense mode which is the absolute WORST mode you can possibly use.

Do you have any of the latest Disney/Pixar releases like FINDING NEMO or BEAUTY AND THE BEAST? These discs have a THX optimizer section on the disc that will help you dial in the color, brightness, contrast, etc. by following simple instructions.

But take the TV off dynamic mode first. Choose movie or theater mode (different TVs call it different things). Once you've done that, you can adjust brightness, color intensity, contrast, sharpness to suit your own taste.

NO TV STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX NOWADAYS LOOKS ANY GOOD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #273 on: October 07, 2007, 08:17:27 PM »

Welcome Home, DR Ginny and DH Richard!

Thanks, DR Jose.  Sorry we didn't get to see you again after the Brain gala.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #274 on: October 07, 2007, 08:17:39 PM »

PAGE 10 TOSHIBA 42" LCD TV DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #275 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:36 PM »

I began my evening of viewing with MY NAME IS EARL. Much to my surprise, it was a gay-themed episode and very funny. I enjoyed it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #276 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:55 PM »

Thanks, DR Jose.  Sorry we didn't get to see you again after the Brain gala.

Next time for sure!

In the meantime, should I send cookies?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #277 on: October 07, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »

I spent the next three hours watching more MEDIUM episodes. Included in those I watched was the one where Allison woke up and was a totaly different person. This was a grand acting showcase for both Patricia Arquette and Jake Weber. A really riveting episode.

Cillaliz

« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

We're home!  Thanks for all the travel vibes, which worked quite well.  Our flight was almost an hour late leaving LGA, but only slightly late arriving in Cincinnati - do you think they built a potential delay into the schedule?  Our connection to Dayton was only slightly delayed because we were waiting for the crew to arrive.  We've been home about an hour.

Ginny, I think they all build in time for delays.  I've been early every time we took off on time and almost on time every time we've been 30 min or so later

Matt H.

« Reply #279 on: October 07, 2007, 08:21:20 PM »

PAGE 10 TOSHIBA 42" LCD TV DANCE!!!!

Is this what DR MBarnum has just bought? It should dial in beautifully and look great. He just needs a guiding hand and some patience.

Ginny

« Reply #280 on: October 07, 2007, 08:21:30 PM »

Next time for sure!

In the meantime, should I send cookies?  ;)

Aren't there laws against enabling across state lines?

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: October 07, 2007, 08:22:03 PM »

Another MEDIUM episode brought back the wonderful Captain Push from Texas into the show. He always makes the show worthwhile.

Matt H.

« Reply #282 on: October 07, 2007, 08:23:03 PM »

And there was that heart-touching episode where Allison dreams that he youngest daughter dies from leukemia at age 20. Another memorable episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #283 on: October 07, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES had its best laughs early with Carlos.

They have REALLY made Edie despicable this year. I know it's called "Desperate Housewives," but she pushes the term "desperate" to the farthest extreme.

Cillaliz

« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »

Aren't there laws against enabling across state lines?

Not if the cookies are headed to Iowa.  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #285 on: October 07, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »

And BROTHERS & SISTERS had me in tears at three different times during the hour. Beautifully written show full of laughs and tears.

MBarnum

« Reply #286 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »

I did do a little calibrating. I had some Clint Eastwood western on the screen and used that in place of the Disney THX thing (as demonstrated on the link that DR JRand kindly supplied), which I don't seem to have..unless it is on Bambi...I didn't check that one. That is the only Disney cartoon movie I own.

99.9 percent of the stuff I will watch is not in HD tv...so what  I need to find is how to make the regular tv shows and dvds look at least as good as they did on my old tube TV.

The guys at the store did mention something about replacing the componant cords with composite cords...or vica versa...does that sound like something I should need to be doing??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:04 PM »

Well... After a couple of e-mail exchanges over the past couple of hours, I have all but one of my scheduling conflicts worked out for the week.  And what a week it's turning out to be!  I am off tomorrow, but the rest of week is booked solid.  Hopefully, after some phone calls tomorrow, I'll have the other conflict worked out too.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »

Is this what DR MBarnum has just bought? It should dial in beautifully and look great. He just needs a guiding hand and some patience.

Yes, I bought the Toshiba 42 inch with 120hwz (or something) which is supposed to make motion scenes much more clear and less blurry...although I have not noticed that it does a very good job with that so far....maybe that is also a new cord thing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:29:07 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2007, 08:30:30 PM »

Sorry to be such a drag tonight...just having buyers remorse...if I know for sure that replacing the old cords with the nice new fangled ones then I will be much calmer...and will not mind even putting forth the extra dough.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:30:54 PM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #290 on: October 07, 2007, 08:31:19 PM »

The three color cord for your DVD will help a lot, I have found.

I feel bad that I encouraged you buy it now....but I know it will be okay.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #291 on: October 07, 2007, 08:31:21 PM »

DR MattH - I'm not sure that's the exact set that DR MBarnum bought.  I just Googled for a Toshiba 42" LCD TV and that's what came up.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #292 on: October 07, 2007, 08:34:15 PM »

Not if the cookies are headed to Iowa.  ;)

LOL!

I've taken my Tylenol and Robitussin and now I'm going to bed.

'night!

Matt H.

« Reply #293 on: October 07, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »

I did do a little calibrating. I had some Clint Eastwood western on the screen and used that in place of the Disney THX thing (as demonstrated on the link that DR JRand kindly supplied), which I don't seem to have..unless it is on Bambi...I didn't check that one. That is the only Disney cartoon movie I own.

99.9 percent of the stuff I will watch is not in HD tv...so what  I need to find is how to make the regular tv shows and dvds look at least as good as they did on my old tube TV.

The guys at the store did mention something about replacing the componant cords with composite cords...or vica versa...does that sound like something I should need to be doing??

You do NOT want composite cables. (Those are the yellow-red-white). That is the lowest level of video quality you can get. Component cables (blue-green-red) will give you beautiful image quality. You'll need separate cables for sound. If you're going straight from the DVD player into the TV, then you use the red-white for audio. Hopefully, you get your sound from a surround receiver.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »

DR MBarnum - Ya' know... For what you paid for your new TV, you could have come back to NYC this weekend for the South Asian International Film Festival.  ;D

Seriously, just keep remembering to breathe, and take it one day, one step, one set of cords, one calibration at a time.  I see some serious TV and DVD enjoyment in your near future.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »

I just checked, and BAMBI does that the THX optimizer on it if you decide you want to try using it. But you need to know where the picture controls on your setup menu are located before you try to use it (or any program that helps you dial in a good picture.)

Matt H.

« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »

DR Jose is right. Don't lose patience. The new set I bought two weeks ago is the THIRD hi def set I've bought in the last 9 years, and it still took me days of tweaking it to get the pictrue the way I wanted it.

Matt H.

« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2007, 08:44:16 PM »

I'll do a little writing and then I'll be heading down to bed.

Good night!

MBarnum

« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2007, 08:51:25 PM »

The three color cord for your DVD will help a lot, I have found.

I feel bad that I encouraged you buy it now....but I know it will be okay.

I did get that 3 colored cord. But some of the other cords I am using are the old ones...I have my DVR, DVD player, and DVD/VHS recorder all hooked up together.

I

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #299 on: October 07, 2007, 08:55:01 PM »

DR NOEL....did SUCH GOOD FRIENDS mention McCarthy...or are audiences and reviewers just assuming that HUAC is the same thing?

We were discussing this at lunch with my mother (who cleared names for The U.S. Steel Hour and Matinee Theater): People often use a shorthand which, to the detail-minded, is imprecise: "McCarthy hearings" shouldn’t apply to the HUAC because McCarthy was a Senator, and his friends in the House ran the HUAC (it’s what the H stands for).  Such Good Friends gets it right: McCarthy’s mentioned, at first, for going after an army colonel.  When someone’s glum, towards the end of the show, he’s asked what happened to his jovial disposition, and answers “McCarthy.”  The voice of the Congressman – he’s called “Congressman” many times by the characters being questioned – has a Southern accent, not McCarthy’s Wisconsin drawl.

The show merely shows what happens to a group of funny people who are in the business of entertaining America.  It doesn't say why the HUAC exists, or who's responsible.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up