Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GALLEY SLAVE  (Read 20840 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:THE GALLEY SLAVE
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2004, 08:07:48 PM »

I expected some rattling off of accomplishments here in the U.S.  Guess there haven't been any!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2004, 08:07:55 PM »

...Because if you were, you forgot for a moment who the president is.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2004, 08:09:46 PM »

SHE is hardly one of the best Hammer films ever made...and it may be the poorest version of SHE that was made, though none of them are very good.  The 1935 version has a spectacular dance/ritual and a great Max Steiner score...but all of them do an injustice to the great, great novel by Rider Haggard.  But then I demanding in this instance.  SHE happens to be my favourite novel of all time.  None of the movies have captured its haunting quality and always try to make rather dull Leo the hero.  Holly is the hero and his relationship with She much more interesting.

Panni

« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2004, 08:10:48 PM »

But now that you remember, you can calm down and vote for the Dems. Twice (once for me).

Panni

« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2004, 08:17:17 PM »

Oh, I just remembered what I wanted to post before the Prez distracted me. Perhaps this was discussed while I was in San Francisco, but CBS is doing a 3 hour remake of SCROOGE, with Leslie Bricusse writing a new script and 7 new songs.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »

Painful AMERICAN IDOL auditions tonight. Even several being sent to Hollywood for the next elimination round were not very good.

I laughed at the awfulness of some of them, but most of them I just felt embarrassed and mortified for. How can they possibly think they have talent? That they could actually compete in a competition with people who do know what notes are, what pitch is, and what rhythm is.

Many of us who are performers here have attended musical auditions when it was clear there were people getting up who had never auditioned before. That's what so many of these folks tonight reminded me of.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2004, 08:21:52 PM »

Jay, were you actually expecting something that wouldn't make you bang your head against the wall?

No, but it still pains me to hear it said out loud and watch all those people on the right side of the aisle (sorry, DRs SWW and DB) jump up and applaud everything the President said.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2004, 08:23:42 PM »

Yes, I read that about the CBS SCROOGE remake in VARIETY this morning, and I meant to comment on it. I'm glad you did, DR Panni.

In the case of MGM and TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY and ROYAL WEDDING, they may have lost their exclusive ownership rights to the films, but they retain the master elements which is why the laserdisc of TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY is simply beautiful and the public domain version look like two strip Technicolor at best or are missing musical numbers. Warners will still be the only studio who will be able to turn out really spectacular looking DVDs of these filsm, if and when they ever decide to do them.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2004, 08:25:21 PM »

No, but it still pains me to hear it said out loud and watch all those people on the right side of the aisle (sorry, DRs SWW and DB) jump up and applaud everything the President said.

Precisely the reason I didn't watch. I can read what he had to say in tomorrow's newspaper without all the well trained minions and their support.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2004, 08:30:47 PM »

That's all right Jay, we felt the same way back when the automatic applause and aerobics was from the alternative side of the aisle.  (Hey, get that alliteration!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Andrea

« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2004, 08:39:14 PM »

As I try to keep happy thoughts in mind after watching the state of the union...

Limo.  No.-- We took a horse and carriage to Prom.
Helicopter. No.
Police Car.   No
Ambulance.  No
SUV.  Possibly
Greyhound Bus.  Yes-- far too many times this year!..
Staten Island Ferry.  I love the staten Island ferry-- Just not the doors-- I don't think Emily ever got around to telling anyone the door story.

And DR Danise-- I know the feeling! We have stairs to the basement with all our bedrooms on the main floor-- I always wanted to live in a house with two floors, where I could decend from my bedroom in formal wear to the awaiting men.....

I apologize for being E and T lately-- I have not had anything to say/contribute so I remained silent.

Andrea

« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2004, 08:46:12 PM »

I have just finished watching our President's State of the Union address, Dear Readers, and the only logical conclusion I can arrive at is that I must move to Canada without delay.

I believe that we actually interupted our state of the union drinking game to throw things at the screen at certain points.

I personally offer to marry anyone who wants to come to Canada!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2004, 08:48:52 PM »

And DR Danise-- I know the feeling! We have stairs to the basement with all our bedrooms on the main floor-- I always wanted to live in a house with two floors, where I could decend from my bedroom in formal wear to the awaiting men.....

I grew up in a two story house.  When I was in high school I practiced my “decent down the stairs” in order to impress my dates.  LOL- I didn’t have many dates.  I only remember one occasion when the trick worked & it wasn’t a date, just a friend.  At least I have the one memory.

Andrea

« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2004, 08:49:22 PM »

Precisely the reason I didn't watch. I can read what he had to say in tomorrow's newspaper without all the well trained minions and their support.

Let's just say, that as a supporter of same-sex marriages... I have never been so shocked in my life by what he said. It was disgusting.

Jay

« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2004, 08:49:39 PM »

Fascinating.  A sizable percentage of the Canadian Hainsies/Kimlets appear to follow U.S. politics rather closely.  I'm betting a sizable percentage of the U.S. population could not correctly state whether Canada is north, south, east or west of the U.S.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 08:55:12 PM by Jay »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2004, 08:51:20 PM »

Panni that is a sad story & slightly eerie story.

I'm glad you & Jay kept me laughing in-between the story.

Good night all.   Sleep well.

Andrea

« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2004, 08:52:15 PM »

Fascinating.  A sizable percentage of the Canadian Hainsies/Kimlets appear to follow U.S. politics rather closely.  I'm betting a sizable percentage of the U.S. population could not correctly state whether Canada is north, south, east of west of the U.S.

By virtue of my future move to the states (CYGOPP has decided that we are getting married and moving to New York) and the boyfriend's interest in politics (and my interest in redecorating the White House), I have no choice but to follow it.

Canada is all around the US:) You will indeed become Molson Territory soon!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 09:09:08 PM by Andrea »

Jay

« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2004, 08:52:57 PM »

Put me near a circular stairway, especially a grand one, especially in a public space, and you can watch me make the descent of all descents.  

Panni

« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2004, 08:58:57 PM »

Fascinating.  A sizable percentage of the Canadian Hainsies/Kimlets appear to follow U.S. politics rather closely.  I'm betting a sizable percentage of the U.S. population could not correctly state whether Canada is north, south, east of west of the U.S.
I was appalled at the total ignorance about Canada when I first moved to the States. I remember going into a bank once to cash a check (or "cheque" in Canada) I'd received from the CBC. When the teller handed me the exact sum on the check I told him that was incorrect as it was in Canadian funds, which would be worth less. He said (I swear), "They don't have dollars in Canada!" I asked him what he thought Canadian currency was and her replied that he thought it might be francs. Now I realize this is an extreme case, but not THAT extreme.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2004, 09:06:53 PM »

Give many US students a blank map of the world and ask them to find the United States. Not only will they not be able to do it, many will have the world map upside down. As a teacher for 30 years in the public school system, I speak the truth.

That's why I had maps on every wall of my classroom, and whenever we read any story or book that contained one or more settings, the first assignment was to find where the story was happening  on one of the maps in my classroom.

Andrea

« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2004, 09:11:31 PM »

What do you think is the cause of this ignorance? I think most people's first instinct would be to blame the educational system, but I don't buy that. I know far to many hard working teachers who struggle everyday with getting their students to learn... is it the media that encourages ignorance?

Jay

« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2004, 09:15:35 PM »

Give many US students a blank map of the world and ask them to find the United States. Not only will they not be able to do it, many will have the world map upside down. As a teacher for 30 years in the public school system, I speak the truth.

That's why I had maps on every wall of my classroom, and whenever we read any story or book that contained one or more settings, the first assignment was to find where the story was happening  on one of the maps in my classroom.

Which is one of the reasons why your students will be grateful to you well into their lives.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2004, 09:17:23 PM »

Just heard some good news/bad news (well, not bad, just stupid) which I'll write about in tomorrow's notes.

Been perusing the Anthony Newley bio from England.  Kind of a bland pudding but fun anyway.

And is CBS really so bankrupt that they can't come up with anything other than a remake of an already wonderful film, Scrooge?  Who will they cast - Drew Carey?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2004, 09:20:41 PM »

And then there's kids like me, who've had obsessive history teachers their whole lives. With the blank map in front of me for memory purposes, I can name all of the countries in South America, and then Asia, going clockwise. And most of their capitals. Capitols? Capitals?

See, I don't need a history lesson; I need English.

I can also name every state in the USA in alphabetical order in under 1 minute. That, of course, is contributed to the famous "Fifty Nifty USA" song. Betcha Laura II knows it.
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2004, 09:40:10 PM »

WEHT TCB?  Well, that's a bit disingenuous of me - I have had a hint of WEHT TCB and I'm going to say that I'm not so happy right now - just as I am not so happy about the absence of Francois for the same reasons.  I am going to say this and I am going to say it strongly: If ANYONE makes ANY disparaging or offensive remark about ANY dear reader, they will be asked to never do it again or they will be asked to leave this site.  I'll ask nicely, of course, and then, if that doesn't work, I'll simply preclude them from being here.  I'm just not going to tolerate this anymore.  I think we've all looked the other way lately and hoped it would get better - but I'm not having favorite people like TCB and Francois leave because of this stupid stupid behavior.  I was hoping to not have to do this, but everyone here is important to me.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the thing that makes this site different is that people are treated with respect, whether opinions differ or not.   So, it's very simple -think before you post.  If someone is presenting an opinion you really can't stand, just step back and either don't respond or respond and state your objections but state them non-confrontationally and with respect.  I love this jernt and I'm not having it go the way of other jernts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 09:41:51 PM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2004, 09:42:52 PM »

Yes, despite the efforts of Alex Trebek on "Jeopardy," the particulars about Canada remain a mystery to most U.S. citizens (and illegal visitors, too).  I have heard that 90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the Canada-U.S. border.

North!  Jay, Canada is up north!  

American Idol:  Sheesh!  I don't know what to say.  When I was in college and majoring in theater, auditioning for everything was a requirement.  And when it came time to audition for a musical, you HAD to prepare a song and you did the best you could.  Nobody laughed.  I was petrified, my right arm went numb, and I'm pretty sure I "talked" most of "What Kind of Fool Am I?"  I had never sung in front of people -- and I'm guessing a lot of the "American Idol" contestants haven't either.  

But...and this is a BIG but... what must they hear when they hear good music?  And how is it they think their singing is comparable or better?  Can they not hear themselves???

Even so, it's a gut-wrenching experience.  I'm supposing that if you don't know you're horrible or horrendous -- or worse, that if you believe you're good -- the comments from Randy and Simon and Paula had to cut some of them to the core.

I only watched the Atlanta auditions, but Simon never said anything that I didn't agree with.  

The guy who asked for a public apology probably remains delusional.  The guy who said he was "defined" by the stomach thing he can do -- great abdominal definition is his "talent," apparently -- was really sad, I thought.

Judging from what they should us of the Houston audition show, I'd say it's a whole lot of horrible.

Tomovoz

« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2004, 09:43:30 PM »

Thanks George. I missed out on the release of "Barnum". Had it on video for years but  don't check in to Dress Circle etc that often.

Many Oz kids would be able to name most of the 50 states.  I wonder if USA kids could name any Australian ones. But then of course Australia is one of those European countries and they are all so close togther.  
I sometimes wonder if those poor US soldiers have any idea where they are on the World Map.
Please to read this as anti American sentiment. Canadians are certainly (in my limited experience of being in their country and in the USA) not as insular.

Did Delaware a brand New Jersey Sarah?  Why did California? She called to say Hawaiia.
Thank goodness they don't write lyrics for like that any more. Or do they?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2004, 09:58:22 PM »

Methinks, Tomovoz, that many schoolchildren in the USA (assuming they can read maps at all) are looking at maps that show Australia as one big thing.  Usually yellow, if I recall from my own days of yore.  The USA, on the other hand, has lots of different colors, instead of one big consistant one.  Therefor, the USA has states, while Australia must not!  (Also puzzling is why Canada's provences are often shown on our maps, while Mexico's aren't.  That's why Americans think all Mexican food tastes the same, like that coming from Taco Bell, with no regional differences.)

Der Brucer has bought a globe for his grandsons, which we haven't given to them yet.  For a very nice change of pace, Australia is a verdent green, and the USA is very rose from coast to coast.  (Maybe all our food will taste like Taco Bell soon!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2004, 10:00:34 PM »

Interesting.  Three people in a row totally ignore my post.  Fascinating, baby.

Panni

« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2004, 10:35:53 PM »

bk - Did all this happen while I was away for all of two days? Have to admit I haven't had the time to read all the posts during my absence. When I left TCB was quite happy. He and I had a late night conversation, as a matter of fact. What could anyone have said to such a nice man?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up