Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MY LIDS ARE HEAVY PART TWO  (Read 80123 times)

singdaw

Re:MY LIDS ARE HEAVY PART TWO
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »

I need to get over my fear of coffee.

Or, more specifically, my fear of ordering coffee drinks.

Since I don't drink coffee myself, any know nothing about it, I find the infinite varieties scary and the ordering process intimidating.

During lunch today, I was running some errands.  A co-worker casually asked me if I would pick up "a small coffee kulata with sugar but no whipped cream."  Tentatively, I agreed.

I wrote it down.

When I got to the counter, I read my order verbatim from the piece of paper.  The clerk gave me a glance and started to explain something or other about my order.  Honestly, it was all just a babble of words to me.  I just nodded and took what he gave me.

I have yet to hear back from my co-worker whether I ended up getting the right thing or not.

Honestly!    :P

singdaw

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »

they keep calling you singpaw

;D

I've been called much, much worse!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »

Good Afternoon!

YEAH!  My barber was open today!  However, the owner/manager was not there today, and she's usually the one who answers the phone - so maybe that's why no one answered the phone when I called.  And when I stepped inside, a chair had just freed up, so I was able to sit down right away and have the barber start cutting my hair (1 on the sides, 3 on the top, natural back).  -And with the warmer(!) temps making a return today, the cut came just in time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »

After getting shorn, I decided to go ahead and grab some brunch at The Dish - corned beef hash, eggs over easy, rye toast and fresh-squeezed OJ.  YUM!  Then a brief trip to Balducci's for some supplies - a.k.a. snacks - and then A Train back uptown.

Of course, now I want to take a nap.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »

SHORN 'NUFF - that's the title of my musical version of Jose's haircut, which I'll submit for NYMF next year  :)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »

TOD (both parts):  Too many.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »

Noel - Why list which shows are world premieres?

I was answering Der Brucer's question from last night:

Have you any idea of the ratio of "virgin" to "previously deflowered" shows at NYMF?

der Brucer
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »

I like the idea that the Brain was deflowered in Los Angeles.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »

Check is in Miss Patti's hands, so I guess I'll drive down there and get pick it up so it can be in my hands and tomorrow in the bank's hands.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »

Deflowered in Los Angeles - that's the title of my next novel.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2007, 11:23:37 AM »

DR singdaw - Did your co-worker want a Coffee Coollatta® with 2% Milk, Cream, Skim or Whole Milk?  ;)

Or course, you could have been sent to Starbucks to get a Tall Cafe Americano Half-Caf, No Water, Iced and Dirty.  In other words, a small iced coffee, no additional water, with two additional shots of espresso (one regular, on decaf)... basically espresso poured over ice.  "Filthy" is three additional shots of espresso.  -Or you could also request "doppio" for a double,  triple or quad.

*Although, my favorite thing to order at Starbucks lately has been a Tall Mocha Frappuccino Affogato Style - a Mocha Blended Coffee with a shot of espresso poured on top.  The perfect pick-me-up before or after an afternoon rehearsal or set of auditions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:26:12 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »

SHORN 'NUFF - that's the title of my musical version of Jose's haircut, which I'll submit for NYMF next year  :)

Well, I guess you could only present it twice during the festival.  Unless we find a really good wig person.  Well, and a lot of wigs. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2007, 11:26:58 AM »

What's fascinating looking at that list is how many of those shows received almost no publicity whatsoever anywhere.

I'm similarly fascinated.  BK and I had the same P.R. person.  And bassist!  Who heard anything about Virtuosa?  Who knew that nobody did any singing in it, for it was a straight play in which a pianist plays?

I'm sensing some difference of opinion around here about whether being part of the September 12 press event led to more publicity.  The shows participating were Sympathy Jones, Tully (in no particular order), The Yellow Wood, Roller Derby, Such Good Friends, Going Down Swingin', The Angle of the Sun, Love Kills, and Look What a Wonder Jesus Has Done and I'm still wondering whether anyone saw more coverage for Going Down Swingin', Love Kills, and Look What a Wonder Jesus Has Done than Gemini, Austentatious and I See London I See France (The Underpants Musical).

Another really fine point: I'm pretty sure the underwear tuner sold out well before the festival began.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »

DR Jeanne - Hope you feel better REALLY SOON!   :)

Thank you, Sing. I hope so, too.   :(

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »

Feel better vibers for DR GINNY and DR JEANNE.

thank you,  JRAND.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:44 AM »

Noel - Why list which shows are world premieres?  

Noel is responding to my posted request for a breakdown of "virgin" versus "previously de-flowered" offerings. As a Systems Analyst I often like to look at categorical breakdowns to see whether or not there is any potential significance to be derived.

In this case, we are one invited show away from a perfect 50-50 split between never-produced and brand new offerings, which suggests no bias for or against previously produced shows.

Whether or not NYMF should show such a bias is totally subjective. I suspect the category should be "new works", meaning new to Broadway-Equity audiences.

One could argue that admitting previously preformed shows puts new productions at a disadvantage, but the lack of any previous production also places a healthy production-cost fundraising burden on new shows.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2007, 11:37:12 AM »

In other news...  I think I'm going to head to the Park and get some sun and shade and do some reading, and/or just listen to my iPod for a while.  And it actually has been a few weeks since I've been to the Reservoir, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2007, 11:39:34 AM »

;D

I've been called much, much worse!

And might we assume for just cause?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:40:19 AM by DERBRUCER »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »

Sometimes things happen to me, and my first thought is:  I can't WAIT to post about this on HHW!

You are truly addicted, Sing.

BTW, how was STRANGERS ON A TRAIN?   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2007, 11:42:22 AM »

Next year, I'll be directing a new World Premiere musical for NYMF entitled The King and I.  

I'm also writing a new musical for NYMF, another World Premiere about a website full of wacky people, three of whom are doing NYMF shows.  I think it will be very amusing, and also quite touching.  There will be comedy (plays on the name Singdaw, spelled backwords words, arch writing), drama (people leaving the board in a huff or, at the very least, a minute and a huff), warmth (people coming back to the board in a huff), romance (two board denizens get married and write a musical about it, which is also done at NYMF - the New York Marriage Festival), lust (certain board members obsessions with a variety of hunks, both Bollywood and other), food (a wonderful number called Amy's Breads will be a highlight, along with Levain Drives Me Insane and the soft-shoe number John's Pizza Never Seats A Party Until Everyone Is There), and every other human emotion.  The set, which will be a whole series of computer screens will be so huge that even though there are strict NYMF and Equity rules, we'll be renting the Music Box for our six performances, doing five previews and not allowing the press in until we feel like it.  Because of the very technical nature of our set and lighting and sound, we'll have a week in the theater to tech.  We'll definitely be part of the big publicity event, and all our shows will be the first to sell out as we will purchase all the tickets and then give them away to family and friends and everyone on facebook.  Our musical director will be dear reader Jose, our casting director will be dear reader Joy (thereby insuring that we will have the best cast), and there will be merriment and mirth and laughter and legs aplenty.  We will be the toast of NYMF and also the croissant of NYMF.  We will be extended by two performances, and we will, I'm quite sure, get excellent reviews except from Duncan Pflaster of broadwayworld, who will say that the entire score plagerizes the first six notes of Glenda's Place from Whoop-Up.  The budget, as per the signed contract, will be $20,000, even though through we will actually be spending $362,015.43.  I'm very excited about it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »

Speaking of trains--and I do like to travel by train--I met a most interesting fellow on my way home from NY. Not a HHW type, though he did ask for one of my postcards advertising the BRAIN FROM PLANET X. He's a judge and a military historian--a good fit with another friend.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »

I like the idea that the Brain was deflowered in Los Angeles.

THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X:

deflowered in Los Angeles, ravished in New York!

And to the delight of all!

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »

I'm similarly fascinated.  BK and I had the same P.R. person.  And bassist!  Who heard anything about Virtuosa?  Who knew that nobody did any singing in it, for it was a straight play in which a pianist plays?

I'm sensing some difference of opinion around here about whether being part of the September 12 press event led to more publicity.  The shows participating were Sympathy Jones, Tully (in no particular order), The Yellow Wood, Roller Derby, Such Good Friends, Going Down Swingin', The Angle of the Sun, Love Kills, and Look What a Wonder Jesus Has Done and I'm still wondering whether anyone saw more coverage for Going Down Swingin', Love Kills, and Look What a Wonder Jesus Has Done than Gemini, Austentatious and I See London I See France (The Underpants Musical).

Another really fine point: I'm pretty sure the underwear tuner sold out well before the festival began.

Nope, as highly touted in publicity, the underwear musical sold out two days after the regular tickets went on sale - or maybe it was one day after.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »

I wanted them to sign my program.

;D

singdaw

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:02 AM »

Well, if you had flashed pictures of your gold lamé boys around town sooner, you probably would have sold out, too!  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:08 AM »

And now I shall be on my way to rehearsal.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:38 AM »

singdaw - They wanted to meet you too, but they keep calling you singpaw

;D

singdaw

« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »

BTW, how was STRANGERS ON A TRAIN?

;D

Well, since I spent my whole weekend in, or running into and out of, NYC, I never got a chance to watch it!   :(

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:38 AM »

Next year, I'll be directing a new World Premiere musical for NYMF entitled The King and I.  

Would the sequel to "The King and I" be "The King and II"?

Just asking.

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »

...and "soft right out of the box" would be a positive selling point HOW, exactly?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up