Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTACK OF THE KILLER PAPERS  (Read 76846 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:ATTACK OF THE KILLER PAPERS
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »

Re:  Faux News/Rush Bimbaugh--I actually watch/listen with some regularity (just like I'll tune into the Republican "Debate" tonight) simply to find out what "they" are thinking--if thinking is the right term.   ::)

No "thinking" is definitely out! It is the Primary season -"'pandering" is in!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2007, 12:22:35 PM »

Second Piano Prelude
Concerto in F
Rhapsody in blue
Walking the Dog

The Man I Love
But Not for Me
almost ALL of Porgy (love that Gullah!)

The Man That Got Away
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:12 PM »

still no mr. toilet man.  I guess I'll have to call again.

singdaw

« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »

still no mr. toilet man.

Speaking of, here's a cocktail called "The Tidy Bowl":

singdaw

« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »

I am trying to be good.

Every time I have the urge to cram chocolate down my craw, I'm drinking a big glass of water instead.

Thus far, my cravings have not abated.  But I'm walking more!  :)  [to the office lavatory]

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »

TOD:
STAIRWAY TO PARADISE
LIZA

and since I'm working on a documentary for the Gold Museum today: MINE.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2007, 12:50:58 PM »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »

Speaking of getting distracted... some teenage girl who had just gotten her driver's license, got distracted while driving down my street on Friday afternoon and drove her car into the telephone pole in front of my house.

We were not at home for the incident  but she must have been driving at some speed as the telephone  pole ( the new one that  replaced  the one destroyed in April 2006 when the teenager boy got dirtracted and drove into it)  was split from about a foot above the ground and up about 8 feet, and the back end was "exploded out".  The whole thing is leaning over at at angle from about 2 feet up, over a busy street... the guy wire  was snapped by the blow as well

(the speed limit here is 30 MPH - why do I fail to believe the driver was obeying that limit?)

There was no note left for us as to what had happened so Vixdad went out with his trusty flashlight and found the name of the pole owner (phone co) and called up to see if the incident had been reported

No report on file.So Vixdad explained the inhernt  danger of the situation in great detail and was given a  "job #"  and told someone would be by in the morning to look

Come morning no one came, and he called again.. no report on file ... "But I personally made the report and here is the "job #" I was given...

not a valid number.... so he explained the whole thing again and was given another job number

He also called the police to see if an accident report had indeed been filed, which it had, (which is how we learned about the teenage girl who we were assured is 'OK' )  The police had been at the scene and had called in the need for a repalcement pole... but they had called the electric co, not the telephone co who actually owns the pole

Well today finally the phone co came and replaced the pole... they put it next the the damaged pole, damaging our cyclone fence in the process (they dropped the pole on the top rail of the fence which badly bent it)....

I opened the front door and stood looking at the crew who stood looking at the bent fence... and then they gradually noticed me...

The crew foreman came up and promised they would repair the rail.  Now the phone co had been cutting branches last fall  and dropped a big one on another part of the the top rail, but no one was home to stare at then at the time so they drove off into the night.

I said (well I coughed and wheezed at  him I must admit) I was quite pleased to hear they would be repairing the rail, as we were still waiting for them to repair the previous damage done and wondered what the expected time frame for the repair might be
oh today, definitely today I was assured, and true to his word they did come and fix the whole top rail , the old and the new damage.

They installed the new telephone pole but did not attach any guy wires, nor did they transfer any of the cables from the old pole to the new pole.... so the old damged pole is still leaning precariously over a very busy street,  3 feet from the school bus stop for three different schools ( primary, elemantary and middle)

Maybe tomorrow it will be taken out.... if someone else doesn't get distracted and drive into it first, or if a big wind doesn't come along and blow it down

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

singdaw

« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »

WOW, DR Vixmom!

Or as Zaneeta from The Music Man might say, "Ye Gods!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »

WOW, DR Vixmom!

Or as Zaneeta from The Music Man might say, "Ye Gods!"

Ditto!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2007, 01:09:01 PM »

Back from lunch.

Had a bowl of "meatball soup".

Had a chicken Caesar salad.

Had a glass of iced tea.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »

I had no "love" for dessert!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2007, 01:11:22 PM »

Ore. Teacher Wants to Take Gun to School

English teacher Shirley Katz plays with her dog Thursday, Oct. 4, 2007 at her home outside Medford, Ore. Katz insists she needs to take her pistol with her to school because she fears not only a Columbine-style rampage but an attack from her ex-husband. She's challenging a school district gun ban as unlawful since Oregon is among states that allow people to carry concealed weapons into public buildings. (AP Photo/Jeff Barnard)

der Brucer - seems Penny O has some influence in Oregon

DERBRUCER

« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

I had no "love" for dessert!

Spoken like a true Levain virgin.

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2007, 01:17:50 PM »

What a surprising afternoon for me. I had just started watching some programs on the DVR prior to fixing lunch when my friend John called and wondered if I wanted to accompany him to Target and Circuit City for some shopping at lunch time. Of course I said yes.

We had lunch at a Philly Cheesesteak place - yum!

Then shopping at Target I had a long list of items I had been jotting down waiting for a non-busy time to drive across town to the closest one. Then, wandered among the DVDs and other electronics at Circuit City while he got a universal remote he wanted. A fun and unexpected shopping trip!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2007, 01:20:18 PM »

DR JRand:  A discussion in another forum reminded me of something you may know of:

We were discussing how sad some of us are that S.T.A.R.. a soundtrack specialty store, is going out of business for good (it no longer sells online and has sold off its stock to Screen Archives).    Mention was also made of Nostalgiaphon, a mail-order soundtrack specialty store out of Columbus OH.  

I recall that a guy from Nostalgiaphon used to attend an annual "cinema lovers" event in Indianapolis.  Sometime around 1981 or 1982, a couple of guys from Butler University, who taught film studies, decided to put together an event for a three-day weekend during which time 16mm copies of old films would be shown at scheduled times and to which were invited dealers of films/film-related ephemera.  A large room was set up with vendor tables and this guy from Nostalgiaphon would be there with a few cardboard boxes filled with LPs.   Lots of networking went on. Lots of schmoozing.  Lots of money changed hands.  The event got bigger each year.  1984 was the last time I went.

Films I remember seeing include "Come and Get It" and "The Four Feathers."

I have no idea whether that event continued or not.  Is this something with which you might be familiar?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:23:01 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »

And I still had time to watch four programs. I began with Sunday's COLD CASE, an unusual "Amish Come to Town" story with a very sad ending. Not the best COLD CASE I've ever seen, but pretty good and a good surprise identity for the killer.

Matt H.

« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »

Next I watched HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER from last night. It didn't make my laugh much at all. I was disappointed in how unfunny the story was to me. Better luck next week.

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »

I finaly got around to last Wednesday night's CSI: NY. Two dead divers found in the East River. The investigation delves into the subway cars sunk in the East River and then at the wrecks below them. The story surprisingly turned into a terrorist bombing scenario! Not the best CSI: NY I've ever seen, more akin to the type of shenaigans they do on CSI: MIAMI.

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »

Then I did a speed-though on today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. No gay storyline today, but the previews do promise them for tomorrow.

vixmom

« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »

WOW, DR Vixmom!
"Ye Gods!"

and little fishes

vixmom

« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2007, 01:25:35 PM »

I must tothe drug store to pick up the new meds prescribed by my friendly family physician

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »

Here's a YAHOO story on some new TV shows that are considered "in trouble" and possibly due to be replaced.

In comments about "Viva Laughlin"...there's a reference to Hugh Jackman that I don't get.  He's not in the show...TIKO ("that I know of" in internet lingo).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:34:04 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ginny

« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2007, 01:39:54 PM »

I must tothe drug store to pick up the new meds prescribed by my friendly family physician

DR Vixmom - I just returned from an errand to the bank and am exhausted.  Be careful out there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »

Mr. Toilet Man is here with his snake.  Make of that what you will.

Matt H.

« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »

Here's a YAHOO story on some new TV shows that are considered "in trouble" and possibly due to be replaced.

In comments about "Viva Laughlin"...there's a reference to Hugh Jackman that I don't get.  He's not in the show...TIKO ("that I know of" in internet lingo).

He has a cameo in the pilot and it was said that he might make additional guest appearances as his schedule permits. He exec-produces the show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »

Mr. Toilet Man is here with his snake.  Make of that what you will.

I trust he also brought along declogging equipment?

;)

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »

The ratings for most shows were down last night. CHUCK finished fourth in the 8 p.m. timeslot, I'm sorry to say.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »

I'm really amazed by the chutzpah of some people.  There is a man who runs a musical theater group in the Valley.  Never mind that he basically usurped my idea for having a musical theater company (yes, he looked at my prospectus years ago), never mind that he basically "borrowed" my idea for the way to fund the first season, never mind any of it.  But, here's what I mind - this peckerwood finds out I'm doing a benefit, finds out the date, and then trumps it by two weeks, asking some of the same artists to do his.  And today I find out he's - wait for it - doing an AUCTION, too!  Maybe I should call him and ask him if there are any other ideas I can give him.  I hope this guy, who has thus far been lucky with reviews and Ovation nominations (what else is new) has, from what I've been told, failed miserably in terms of money, which, despite what he's saying (that the benefit is for his being allied with the LA school district so kids can see his shows - another idea he borrowed from me), is why he's REALLY doing this benefit - to pay off debt - nothing to do with schools or kids - just his debt and his trying to fund at least another partial season.  All of that is fine - what is NOT fine is the blatant attempt to trump us by two weeks.  Well, karma, sir - karma will whup your large ASS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »

Mr. Toilet Man and Snake are gone, and guest toilet is now working fine.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up