Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BK STRIKE  (Read 33590 times)

Ben

Re:THE BK STRIKE
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 05:35:07 AM »

I went back to posts from yesterday and Danise's avatar looks OK on my computer.

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »

So what crime should we plot

We could abscond with bk's gadzookery...

But we must strike while the iron is hot.

Julie

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 05:49:42 AM »

Good morning everyone.
Just sipping that first cup of coffee, and officially starting the day.  (Up to this point, it's been unofficial.)

Julie

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 05:56:16 AM »

Ben - thanks for that post about the history of the Rialto and Victoria Theaters.  I love reading things like that.  So much history in the old Broadway houses.  What else do you remember seeing at the Rialto?  Do you recall when it stopped playing legit shows - I assume well before it was demolished in 2002?

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 05:57:28 AM »

DR Julie - can you tell us anything about your movie, or is it all hush-hush?

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 06:01:48 AM »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 06:10:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: GADZOOKERY!

And The Song Of The Day Is: LIFE COULD NOT BETTER BE

"The Pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.
The Chalice from the Palace has the brew that is true"

one of my all time favorite movies

singdaw

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 06:14:48 AM »

"The Pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.

That's not iambic pentameter; it's Seussian strophic!

Ben

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 06:15:49 AM »

The Rialto didn't have a long, modern anyway, history of legit performances. When it was built  in 1916 and then rebuilt in 1935 the space was a movie house and according to Cinema Treasures (a favorite site of our BK) it was a great Art Deco palace. By the time I arrived in New York (August of 1980) there would only be three shows left to play the Rialto (it went legit in early 1980), Marlowe, a rock musical about the life of playwright Christopher Marlowe playing in October and November of 1981 (it was not a success and I didn't get to see it). The World of Sholom Aleichem (another non-successful show). I didn't see it because at that time I was in a garbage can (literally) playing Oscar the Grouch in the touring version of Sesame Street Live. When I got back to the city in July of 1982 Blues in the Night was running (for a short time) and I got to see the show, as I said, about 5 times. There was not much more theatre business for the Rialto and it became a television studio for a while and a Cineplex Odeon but the last incarnation was as a pseudo theme park attraction called "Cinema Ride, the so-called motion simulator that rocked and rolled its patrons hydraulically to the accompaniment of 3-D action movies (taken from an article in the NY Times from 1998). The building housing the theatre was torn down as part of the redevelopment of 42nd Street and it's now a large office tower with a Chase (IIRC) ATM facility, a food shop and other "amenities"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:17:39 AM by Ben »

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 06:37:30 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Now I remember what I don't miss about working evenings - getting home at 10pm and having to leave at 8 the next morning.

TOD - the professional musical I've seen most is A Chorus Line - 4 times in its first life (twice in NYC, twice in Cincinnati), and once in its current incarnation (last preview before opening in Oct. 2006).  I also confess to seeing Cats 3 times on 3 different tours in Cincinnati.  The first time, it made no sense; the second time, we knew it wasn't supposed to have a plot; and the third time, we sat in seats reserved for the hearing-impaired and I watched the sign language interpreters for most of the show.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »

I remember now that I also saw Annie quite a few times. A roommate at the time was going into the show so she and I would stand in the back of the Alvin theatre and see it night after night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 06:57:24 AM »

I am crossing the picket line to post here at HHW and hoping that the BK STRIKE will end soon.  I believe negotiations are going well, and we will hear something today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59:25 AM »

TOD:

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman - probably 20 times
Titanic (1953) - 10 + times
Gone With the Wind
The Wizard of Oz

Show:
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - several times in different productions

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 07:00:49 AM »

DR ELMORE - I think you were away when I posted about the Kip Ward CD....yes I am enjoying it very much.

Julie

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 07:02:58 AM »

DR Julie - can you tell us anything about your movie, or is it all hush-hush?

Yes, absolutely - thanks for asking!

It's called Clear Blue Tuesday.  It follows the lives of eleven individuals on one Tuesday each year for six years - starting on 9/11 and ending on 9/11/2007.  It's not really about 9/11 per se, -- it's about the lives of these individuals and the directions they took after 9/11.

The actors in the movie are people who were actually affected in some way by 9/11.  The story is part true stories of each of them -- the script grew out os many hours of the cast talking about their personal stories and improvising from there. The characters are all based on their portrayers.  And the story is told, in part, through original songs that were written by the cast.  The cast consists of professional musicians and singers - people who are known in NY if you follow those circles, although would not be known to the greater population.  

For example, Jeremy Schoenfeld, who in addition to acting in the film wrote a number of the songs for the film, is a fairly well known musician -- he just did a couple of solo shows at Birdland, and is the composer/lyricist of the musical DRIFT, which played at NYMF in 2006.   Or Greg Naughton (son of James), who with his band has played in venues nationally.  Or Erin Hill, who plays harp for the Off  Broadway show The Fantastiks (scored for piano and harp) and plays weekends at the Ritz Carlton.  She is also a songwriter and her music has been used in films and on TV.  Cassandra Kubinski is also an award-winning singer/songwriter who regularly performs in NY, and has been on TV and in films.   Same thing with Brother Love.  And Asa Somers is lead singer of a pretty popular rock band, and has been on Broadway, most recently in Grey Gardens and Taboo.  And Becca Ayers is currently on Broadway in Les Mis.  Singer songwriter Julie Danao-Salkin was on Broadway in Lennon, Rent and Saturday Night Fever.  Etc etc.  11 principal cast members all together.  And they are wonderful, -- I can't wait to see their performances on the screen when the scenes are all put together. It was great watching them live.

There are also a number of well-known theater stars who did cameo appearances - participating in one scene or one number in the film.  These include Julia Murney, Kelli O'Hara, Christian Campbell, and others.

My job for the film was Location Manager.  It was the first time I did this, and it was a pretty hard job.  I was basically responsible for finding and securing the locations for all scenes that were filmed.  It is a low budget indie movie, so my budget was very small, and this made the job much more difficult.  High budget movies can "buy" the use of a location - a loft, a restaurant, whatever is needed.  I had to basically convince people to let us film in their businesses or homes for free or very little money.  It was quite stressful at times.  I also had to be at the location, usually before everyone else (read: VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING - and you all know how Julie hates very early in the morning) - and stay till clean-up.  Because as Location Manager, I was responsible for the location, and any issues that would arise.  Such as where can we set up food.  Where can the crew eat.  Are there bathrooms (not always easy in NY with a lot of outdoor locations).  How to dispose of garbage.  And lots of negotiations -- for example, can we stay till 10pm even though we promised we'd be out by five.  I was also responsible for making sure we had shooting and parking permits for each location.  So I was frequently at the Mayor's Office for Film and Broadcasting obtaining these permits for each location.  And I got to watch the filming and see how everything works and how it all gets done.  And it was fascinating.  And our wonderful director, Elizabeth Lucas, was very kind and supportive and appreciative, and it was a great pleasure to be able to work with someone who is a really good person in addition to being a talented director.

The location I'm most proud of, and that everyone was completely amazed by, was that I was able to get us the use of 7 World Trade Center for our final scene in the movie.  Larry Silverstein, who owns the buildings at Ground Zero, just rebuilt 7 World Trade Center and it's a beautiful modern tall building right at the Ground Zero site.  The top floor - 52nd Floor, is not yet leased out.  It's a wide open space, not yet divided, and when you step off the elevator, it is floor to ceiling windows with the most amazing 360 degree views of Manhattan and beyond, and when you look directly down on one side, you're looking directly at Ground Zero.  We used this space to film the final scene of the movie - an art gallery scene where the whole cast comes together at the end of the movie.  We brought in paintings by real NY artists that had a 9/11 theme.  It was really beautiful how we transformed the space.  Our art director did a great job with that.  And it really made the movie come full circle to be able to film the final scene in a WTC building overlooking Ground Zero.

We just recently finished principal photography, although I think there are a couple of touch up shots and filling in that will still probably need to be done.  And the editing process will take some time.  I'm not really sure of the time frame at this point, but I suspect it will be the latter part of 2008.

Julie

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »

Ben - thanks for the additional info!  I don't think I ever saw a show there.   It must have been beautiful, with its art deco theme.

And you reminded me about that theme-park ride that occupied that space for a short time.  Now I know exactly where it was.  

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 07:09:42 AM »

DR Julie - thank you so much for that detailed report on your movie job.  It sounds exhausting, but very satisfying.  Looking forward to the release.

Oh, and welcome back - we missed you!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2007, 07:10:33 AM »

Very interesting DR JULIE.  Thanks for the info!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2007, 07:19:15 AM »

DR JULIE

It sounds and feels like a MUST SEE

Looking foward to seeing it.

Thanks for sharing

FJL

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 07:19:31 AM »

Julie - Congrats on the movie!

On another subject:  What show are you seeing tonight to celebrate the end of the Local One strike?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 07:38:57 AM »

Good morning!

A bit more overcast today, but it's still supposed to get into the 60s by afternoon. The sun is trying its best to peek out from behind the clouds.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »

If we're talking about paying to see a film in a theater, it would be SLEEPING BEAUTY which I've seen in a theater somewhere between 5 and 10 times.

Overall, THE WIZARD OF OZ would win hands down if we factor in home video and TV showings. I've only seen it twice in a theater.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »

As for legit shows, it would probably be OLIVER! or FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, but I don't honestly know how many times I've seen each: too many in the case of FIDDLER which is a masterful show but one I NEVER want to see again (except maybe the movie a few more times in my lifetime).

I've seen GYPSY a lot, too. Seems like friends often get cast in the show, and I end up going to see them in it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:46 AM »

Good morning, everyone!

Only have a few minutes before I have to split, so really just saying hello and go.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2007, 07:45:08 AM »

Most of my shows tonight are in reruns, but MY NAME IS EARL and 30 ROCK are new episodes, and Kathy Griffin has a new comedy special on tonight at 9. I'll also be recording SUPERNATURAL tonight. It's the rerun of the season premiere, but I haven't watched the show this season due to the crowded slate of shows I watch at 9 p.m.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »

I have LIFE and CSI: NY on the DVR to watch today, and I also finally got around to recording that AMERICAN MASTERS show on Carol Burnett, so I'll watch that this afternoon, too.

Tonight, before prime time, I should finally get to STRANGER THAN FICTION on Blu-ray.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2007, 07:55:04 AM »

I saw HAROLD & MAUDE every night for a week at the Center-Brook Drive In....saw it on Sunday night and loved it, so I went every night and took different people until the following Saturday when the bill changed.

It was on with JUDGE ROY BEAN which was okay....but I got sick of that song they sang it....that I have blocked out of my mind.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 08:13:15 AM »

TOD:

probably WIZARD OF OZ, since I watched it just about every year it was shown on TV back when I was a kid.

Also, ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE because it is my favorite and it is the finest motion picture entertainment ever.

HORROR OF PARTY BEACH may be a runner up. The MST3K verision of it just cracks me up and I have watched it many, many times.

JAPANESE WAR BRIDE
GODZILLA (1954)
STORM WARNING

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »

Most of my shows tonight are in reruns, but MY NAME IS EARL and 30 ROCK are new episodes, and Kathy Griffin has a new comedy special on tonight at 9. I'll also be recording SUPERNATURAL tonight. It's the rerun of the season premiere, but I haven't watched the show this season due to the crowded slate of shows I watch at 9 p.m.

What's different in the 9 p.m. slot on Thursday nights from last year's slate during which you recorded or watched "Supernatural"?  Thursdays seem the same to me.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up