Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LEAPING PHRASE  (Read 21023 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE LEAPING PHRASE
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2004, 08:02:12 PM »

I'm going to watch my tape of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM from last night. Although I have to say that bk showed me a couple of old shows the other night - a Jack Benny and a Phil Silvers Show - and both of them had me on the floor. There is nothing - nothing - as funny on TV today. Larry David himself, says that his idol was Nat Hiken and the old Bilko shows.

Panni

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2004, 08:07:51 PM »

I What on earth is a theremin?!
It's a musical instrument - the first electronic instrument -  that sounds like an eerie human voice. It was invented by a weird Russian scientist named Leon Theremin, around 1918 or 19, I think. When you hear that high-pirched "eeeeeee" sound in horror movies - that's the theremin. There's a wonderful documentary about him and the invention.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2004, 08:09:13 PM »

Jane, I can assure you I have NEVER been to the Academy Awards, so when you said you couldn't go I must have said phut to whoever was offering the tix.

A theremin in a strange instrument - it's actually not an instrument - it makes a strange noise when you use your hand in front of some electric device.  It can play on pitch, and was used most famously in Miklos Rozsa's score to Mr. Hitchcock's Spellbound, as well as countless sci-fi movies from the fifties.  The Ondes Martinot is a second cousin to the theremin.  I believe Howard Shore used the theremin in Ed Wood, and there is a wonderful documentary on the instrument.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2004, 08:12:09 PM »

The freezing rain we were supoosed to get all day never arrived. Now the forecast says it's coming after midnight. It's been so cold here that all the snow and sleet we had yesterday didn't melt at all today, so everything is still very icy here. And bitter cold outside. I've spent the entire day indoors, but I didn't get any DVDs watched. I watched programs I recorded last night while the Golden Globes were going on.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2004, 08:12:32 PM »

I do have one question, which I feel rather dumb asking, but apparently no question is a dumb question, so here goes: What on earth is a theremin?!
The theremin is one of the first electronic instruments, invented by Lev Theremin.  (You'd think he could have named it after his girlfriend, but no, he had to get greedy with the accolades.)  It is played by waving your hands between two projecting electrodes, and provided lots of early sci-fi movies with that eerie wooo-ooo-ooo sound.

(On the other hand, Theremin was Russian, and his girlfriend could well have been named Olga.  Who would want to play something called the Olgaphone?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2004, 08:13:25 PM »

Swishy - More on the theremin. THE LOST WEEKEND and SPELLBOUND make terrific use of the theremin. As does, if my memory isn't playing tricks, THE 5000 FINGERS OF DR. T. As do lots and lots of horror films - or films where the Martians are invading. Ed Wood loved the theremin. I have a particular weakness for it because it is so damn weird.

Panni

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2004, 08:18:50 PM »

bk - You were cheating on the theremin test -- looking at my paper for sure.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2004, 08:19:08 PM »

Wow! Four responses! I'm glad I asked! Even though I still don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. I suppose that if I heard it, I'd know. Still, thats a wonderful thing about this site: Everyone is so full of information.

Have I mentioned how much I love my iPod? Because if I haven't mentioned how much I love my iPod, I'll tell you now: I love my iPod THIS MUCH!! *stretches arms out as far as they can go*
...Walk in the sunshine...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2004, 08:19:31 PM »

We've had pretty snow here in Delaware, which arrived last night.  It is very light and fluffy, and the dogs had a wonderful time running around in the yard today, playing in it and making it yellow.  I think they were having a competition to see who could make the most interesting pattern.

We're supposed to have more stuff coming down in the next day or so, but it's not supposed to be as pretty.  Then we've got the rest of the week with clear skies predicted.

(By the way, tonight's Hamburger Stroganoff was yummilicious.  I added a pinch of red pepper flakes at the start, when I was cooking the onions and mushrooms, which gave it an nice boost without being overpowering.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:21:05 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2004, 08:21:58 PM »

No, Panni, we were typing at the same time, you deluded taffy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2004, 08:22:18 PM »

Dear Swish--

If you've heard the Beach Boys' rendition of "Good Vibrations," you've heard a theremin.  It's the only musical instrument that is played with the musician NOT touching the instrument.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:23:34 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2004, 08:22:53 PM »

I suppose that if I heard it, I'd know.

Rent LOST WEEKEND. It's a great film and you can hear the theremin - when he having DT's.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2004, 08:25:17 PM »

Did any of you know that the theremin is an electronic instrument invented by Theremin and that there is a GREAT documentary about it?  I thought not.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

No, Panni, we were typing at the same time, you deluded taffy.

I've never been called a deluded taffy before. I'll take it as a compliment - the taffy part, anyway. And I KNOW we were typing at the same time. I just thought it was funny we used exactly the same phrase in referring to what is in the normal world a relatively obscure doc - a double whammy.

Jay

« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2004, 08:27:37 PM »

I was just thinking...somebody should really do a documentary about the theremin.

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2004, 08:28:19 PM »

After an hour of loitering around the local post office (I don't have mail delivered to the house), I thought I should not tempt fate of the Neighbourhood Watch vigilantes any longer. I shall just have to keep hoping that my lack of courage does not prevent whatever is about to happen from happening. Perhaps it will be the arrival of free tickets to Brazil.
Glad to know that you are OK JMK. My sister sliced open her hand a few months ago (I told her the wrists would be more effective) and microsurgery had to be perfomed.  Dangerous things - hands.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2004, 08:31:26 PM »

Dear Swish--

If you've heard the Beach Boys' rendition of "Good Vibrations," you've heard a theremin.
I should've thought of that, DR Jay! You are a constant source of valuable information.

Jay

« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2004, 08:31:49 PM »

Anyone else getting suspect e-mail lately?  I received four e-mails tonight from unknown senders with odd e-mail addresses, each containing an attachment but no text message.  Zapped them without opening them, I did.

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2004, 08:32:24 PM »

"Taffy" is a nice compliment Panni. It doesn't mean toffee in OZ. It is a term of endearment for a Welshman.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »

OK, off to bed now. Looking forward to the Oscar nominations tomorrow. GOod night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2004, 08:33:26 PM »

I should've thought of that, DR Jay! You are a constant source of valuable information.

Likewise, Dear Reader Panni!

Panni

« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2004, 08:34:13 PM »

I'm going to savor my upcoming ascent to goddessvile and post this one post and not post another until later tonight. How's that for incredible self-control and admirable restraint?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2004, 08:40:39 PM »

OK, off to bed now. Looking forward to the Oscar nominations tomorrow. GOod night.
Another case of West Coast/East Coast, sorry to say.  The nominations are given before the sun rises (or most self-respecting sons, for that matter) in Hollywood, in order to make the New York newscasts.  Isn't that redicuous?  Or fuchiadiculous, at least?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:42:37 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2004, 08:43:19 PM »

Jane, I can assure you I have NEVER been to the Academy Awards, so when you said you couldn't go I must have said phut to whoever was offering the tix.

How sweet. :)

Jay

« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »

Speaking of eerie sounding, obscure and rarely used musical instruments, shall we now discuss the glass harmonica?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2004, 08:50:10 PM »

Panni I will miss your ascension.  

I should have said good night earlier & let Keith let Echo out tonight.  We have had snow flurries all day and she came back in a bit muddy.  But then, if I had done so, I would have missed all of the fun posts tonight. :D

Good night.  Have fun.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2004, 09:12:52 PM »

DR Panni, Anyone who is a Miklos Rozsa fan like Bruce knows the theremin...Really, he wasn't looking at your paper.

JMK, I know nothing of Mike Rich's supposed credit shut-out, but you're talking to the wrong guy.  

As the pit-bull of writers' creative rights,  I believe the first writer should get credit and anyone else who comes on a project after that should be an uncredited script doctor.  I think the guild should be doing things to reduce writers on projects, not to increase the number of writers.  

Anything that encourages a studio from cavalierly throwing a writer off a script and throwing two, three, four or more other writers at  the script is bad...bad for the script and bad for all writers.  I also don't believe in a system that encourages writers to leap over the fallen carcasses of their brethren and feed on their carcasses.  If you don't give first writer credit, then you should not tie backend monies and residuals to credit.  Too many writers blithely rewrite their fellows in an attempt to get credit and a cut of the backend. Their goal becomes not to improve the script but to get credit...and hence, money.

I hate being rewritten...I would think any writer would...so why do to somebody else what you hate having done to you?  

For a long time now, my policy has been I will rewrite only if I have the early writer(s)'s blessing to do so or it is a page-one rewrite and I'm starting from scratch or with the original source material and I do not have to read any previous drafts.

The Writers Guild can sometimes be its own worst enemy.  Any system that encourages a proliferation of credits or encourages writers savaging other writers and other writers' work in order to get credit and more money is a bad system.  

Why is the director so powerful?  Because there is only one director on a film.  A lesson the Writers Guild should learn.  I won't be happy until the Writers Guild has the same deal the Dramatists Guild has...no one can change a thing without the playwright's permission.  No one in drama works without the dramatist.  He is the reason everyone else gathers.

"The director and the cast are servants of the playwright; He must therefore be the centre of the collaboration."  -- Sir Peter Hall --

But, I did a screenplay weekend with Mike Rich in Vegas a couple of years ago and found him a delightful and talented fellow.  Please say hello for me.  He's a very good writer.  I don't know Mike's situation on this film you're talking about (Was he the original writer? Or did he come in as a re-writer?).  

But I'm always leary when Writers talk about getting screwed in the arbitration process.  Flawed as it is, I think it's more fair in its guidelines than most writers claim.  I, for one, have always come back from an arbitration with exactly the credit I expected to get...be it sole or shared credit.   The only time I was ever surprised is when I was not only awarded sole screen credit, but also awarded a shared story credit I had not asked for and wasn't expecting.  It was a remake of an old film, but the arbiters thought that I had substantially changed the story enough that I got a shared story credit with the writers of the original film from the fifties.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 10:03:44 PM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2004, 09:14:51 PM »

Jay, there is a new worm working its way around the world.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2004, 09:35:23 PM »

Amen, Pogue!

Panni

« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2004, 10:04:04 PM »

I COULD NOT agree more, fellow-scribe Pogue. In fact, for years I refused to even look at rewrites unless it was totally page one. If all writers refused to rewrite their brothers' and sisters' work, the studios and networks would have to stop this ridiculous "(s)he's written out, let's get a new writer" mentality.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up