Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 23224 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2004, 05:58:19 PM »

DR Jose: Yes to the kegs. I am assuming the whole football team. (20).
DR JRand: Who needs soft?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2004, 06:02:19 PM »

DR Jose: Yes to the kegs. I am assuming the whole football team. (20).

Hmm... 20 divided by 3... Oh, unless your friend Michael will be joining us... Yes, it's a "point of diminishing returns", but at least the math works out better.

Did someone say this was a family site?  or a family site? ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2004, 06:04:37 PM »

And speaking of family... Unfortunately, my niece, Alyssa, seems to have reverted back to her "traditional" reaction when ever she sees me... She starts crying and starts running toward my brother/her father and/or my father/her grandfather.  Ah well... for now I'm just "blaming" it on the two weeks she just had in Puerto Rico...  Her way of showing her dislike for the cold weather back home.  Yeah.. that's strecthing it a bit!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2004, 06:04:56 PM »

Michael's OZ partner Jim! Understandable confusion. He says "Hello".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2004, 06:09:47 PM »

Just off to dine with dear reader PennyO.  I shall return shortly and hopefully to many more of these excellent postings.

td

• td
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2004, 06:10:56 PM »

Give PennyO a personalized "Hello" from ME!   :-*
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2004, 06:17:55 PM »

DR Noel, are you also saying that people who HAVE read the book shouldn't see the show?  We have already been told by Maguire HIMSELF, and Holzman's changes are at least true to the original author's intents.

I'm saying that everyone should see the show, as soon as they can.  I understand that, for some, it will be many years before they see Wicked (tour, Australian premiere, local productions, whatever).

I'm saying that one of the many pleasures of the show are its surprising plot turns.

Just from reading today's posts, I gather that Winnie Holzman made some changes in the plot; a reader familiar with the original novel might be surprised.

My musical who-dunnit, Murder at the Savoy, or, Pulley of the Yard contains a surprising plot twist or two.  Whenever I send out a tape of it, I've sent along a carefully worded synopsis that doesn't give away the ending.  I'd prefer people to enjoy the surprise.

I don't know why Holzman and Schwartz didn't include a synopsis with the CD of Wicked.  But, if I may be so bold, please allow me to assume that the creators of the show don't want their surprising twists revealed.  In fact, that's the only reason I can think of why a synopsis was left out.

My advice, once again, is that you'll enjoy the show more if you don't know these twists in advance, but, by all means, do what you want to do.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2004, 06:32:26 PM »

But, if I may be so bold, please allow me to assume that the creators of the show don't want their surprising twists revealed.  In fact, that's the only reason I can think of why a synopsis was left out.

So, for that very reason, please explain to me WHY a certain person is singing the lines about having another drink. . .that vanishes all doubts as to one of the stage work's supposed surprises.  A major surprise which occurs NEAR THE END OF ACT TWO is revealed by the singer in one of the cds FIRST TRACKS.

I'm sorry that I'm not buying into the elitist attitude that I should drop everything and see the show in NYC (or on tour in god knows how many months) in order to LISTEN TO CD and enjoy it.

From Mort Goode, on down the line, I have enjoyed plot synopses on cast recordings for forty-one years, and believe me, there have still been surprises when I have finally seen the actual stage works.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2004, 06:34:28 PM »

It is -5 degrees here.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2004, 06:36:12 PM »

It is -5 degrees here.

Here, too.

Wanna find a warm spot and cuddle?  ::)  ::)  ::)  ;)  ;)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2004, 06:44:26 PM »

The singer you recognized went unrecognized by DW Joy in the theatre.  His back is to the audience, and I doubt very many caught what you caught.

Surely it's possible to enjoy the Wicked CD without knowing the plot's surprises.  But I haven't heard that CD yet, so I can't be certain.

But, oh, this word "elitist" --- Who's being elitist?  Schwartz and Holtzman for not including a synopsis?  For opening their show in San Francisco and then New York and not Pittsburgh?

All I'm doing here is trying to help DRs have the best possible time whenever they see Wicked for the first time.  And if that's "elitist" of me, I'll happily reveal who committed the Murder on the Orient Express so I can be more a man of the people.  :P
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2004, 06:44:48 PM »

I'll make the sacrifice TOM and JOSE....I will be the 4th man.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 06:54:39 PM by JRand53 »

td

• td
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2004, 06:46:25 PM »

the silent butler did it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »

No problem Jack. As long as I don't have to pay your fare to OZ. Do you have Ruby Slippers to help you with transport? (perhaps they will only take you to Kansas).
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2004, 06:56:30 PM »

TOMOVOZ did your book arrive yet?

TD for one reason or another I need your address.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 06:56:45 PM by JRand53 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2004, 07:04:29 PM »

Bobby and Sandra arrived Jack. I sent you a note about sending 18 yellow roses or something equally as Darin from beyond the sea.  
Said note must have been lost in transit. I think I used the email link from your profile.
I have only looked at the photos so far.
Much appreciated.
BTW OZ footballers wear much better "uniforms" than those of the other football codes!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2004, 07:09:38 PM »

Jack your photo above is a Rugby game and NOT Australian Rules football. There is a world of difference between the games (and the players!)
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2004, 07:13:03 PM »

DR Ann how is your cable TV viewing coming along?

OMG VH1 is reuniting the band SQUEEZE!!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 07:13:24 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2004, 07:14:46 PM »

Oh you can imagine my embarrassment.  Glad the book arrived....I may have gotten that email.  Sad sad sad to be so old and forgetful!

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2004, 07:23:29 PM »

For JRand: The Real thing.
Australian Rules Football.
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2004, 07:23:51 PM »

TD - I don't think NEVER GONNA DANCE has been recorded yet which is a shame.  Karen Ziemba's two Act II renditions of lesser known Kern songs alone would make it worthwhile.  Maybe this will change.  To say nothing against the current productions, but did we really need another recording of GYPSY or WONDERFUL TOWN.  Rosie says there will be a soundtrack of TABOO meaning either she doesn't know the difference between a cast album and a soundtrack or they will wait for the movie version she says she will be producing.

Jose - You are forgetting one thing in your Tony analysis.  It is quite possible that ASSASSINS may be considered a new musical which would throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing.  This was discussed here before, but it may have been when you were not around as much, and valid reasons for both sides (new or revival) were given.

I enjoyed WICKED a lot, but I had one problem with it and I wonder if any other DRs felt the same thing.  I felt it was two shows in one: a spectacular show with great sets, costumes, effects, etc.; and an intimate story which could have been told with a handful of people.  Most of the highlights for me were solos and duets with a limited number of people on stage, dwarfed by a giant set.  Most of the production numbers didn't move the story forward, but were there to show you why the show cost so much.  They were very entertaining, but not really needed.  However sometimes more is less, and I would like to see a cut down version where the story and score isn't constantly overwhelmed by flying monkeys, a dragon clock, etc.  Often shows (particularly in the last 20 years or so) use spectacle to hide a bad book and/or score.  In the case of WICKED, it detracts from the book and score since it doesn't need to be hid.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2004, 07:27:08 PM »

Thank you TOMOVOZ!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2004, 07:31:29 PM »

Oh, and now for today's kitchen tips:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/28/dining/28KITC.html

Yes, it's the NY Times; and, yes, you will most likely need to register with the site to view it if you haven't already... But, it's a neat article... and the opening remarks about Mad Cow disease and the germs that we live with everyday in our own kitchens are quite... true.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2004, 07:34:53 PM »

DR Danise - I will be giving the South Beach Diet a "try" once I'm back from Memphis next weekend.  -I HAVE to have my "meat and three" with the corn sticks and the hush puppies!!!!  Oh, and the ribs from The Rendezvous! I get a full rack - half wet/half dry!!

And since the Atkins people revised their thoughts on saturated fats, the Atkins Diet is VERY similar to the South Beach Diet - but the South Beach Diet introduces complex carbs and dietary fiber first rather than last on the "approved" list.  -Which is the one thing that didn't sit too well for me when I was on Atkins - even though I dropped 20 pounds in six weeks, and eventually 38 over six months (too many post-show receptions, holiday gatherings and closing night parties kind of hampered my initial progress ;-) )

-Maybe we could keep each other honest over the next couple of months?

*And clearing your kitchen cupboards of any "temptations" truly is the best thing in the world to do!  I was amazed that six weeks had passed before I even noticed that I hadn't had any sugar in six weeks!  It just wasn't readily accessible to me, so I never felt like I was trying to resist it since I didn't see it everytime I opened the fridge or the cupboard.

-Boy, I think I've mentioned all this before...

I would be more than happy to have some one to buddy diet with.  

I downloaded the book from E-bay and got a bonus of two thousand recepies  that should help somewhat.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2004, 07:35:12 PM »

Td & Noel, one of the ways I went from becoming just a casual fan of musicals to a more serious fan of musicals was that as a teenager, every night as I did my homework, I listened to a radio show emanating locally from Cincinnati across the river.  They would play most of the tracks from a musical and between numbers, the dj would read the plot synopsis off the back of the record jacket.  I'm sure I appreciated those musicals more and understood them more, because the numbers were put in context to the show.  I remember hearing shows for the first time like MAN OF LA MANCHA and ALL AMERICAN...It prompted me to go see LA MANCHA when it played the local touring house.  Nor did knowing the plot basics from the sketchy synopsis on the record jacket in any way diminish my appreciation of the muscial when I saw it full-blown in the flesh.

I think I have known the basic plot to almost every musical I've ever seen before going to see it live.

One of the frustrating things about listening to WICKED without a synopsis is that without knowing the context many of the songs lost their emotional impact and many were utterly indecipherable.  I just didn't have a clue about what they were singing.  TD, I really appreciate the synopsis you sent me and it has deepened my appreciation of the album, certainly...We'll have to wait to see if it does for the show, if I ever get to see a version of it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 07:43:44 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »

New York Nick on the Style Network is taking his aunt and cousin to see HAIRSPRAY......

Time for bed....  See everyone tomorrow!  

Tomovoz

« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2004, 07:41:06 PM »

Well said Mr Pogue.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2004, 07:41:18 PM »

George, Re:  The Judi Dench LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.  Good Lord, I saw this production live onstage at the National! Had I but known I would have bought the album, but we had the original Broadway cast, so...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2004, 07:42:04 PM »

DR WEL - Ohh.. that's right... Assassins... However, I have a feeling it will be get put in the "classic" category and end up being considered a revival.  Again, just my feeling...

However, on a slightly related note - It would be nice to see Doug Sills get nominated for his turn in Little Shop as Orin the Dentist and other assorted denizens of Skid Row.

As for the two shows currently on the stage of the Gershwin Theatre in NYC... Good point.  And it really is an intimate story with the all the machinations of Wizard of Oz and the Land of Oz as the background.  Much like the role of Vietnam in Miss Saigon.  -And I think I've related this before... the most moving Miss Saigon I ever attend was a piano sing-thru...  it really focused the story on the Kim, Chris, John, Ellen and the Engineer.  That "small" setting also helped to make the Engineer a more "sympathetic" - or at least "pathetic" - character.  No helicopters, over-sized Cadillacs or girls in light-up bikinis serving as distractions.

*Of course, I also have images of one of Mr. Pryce's, successors, Francis Ruivivar, as he tried to "mount" the Cadillac the first few times.  Mr. Pryce is a tall man.  Mr. Ruivivar is a big man.  I almost thought he was going to rip off the windshield with his efforts to stay on top! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2004, 07:42:56 PM »

All morning long yesterday when I did not have access to the soundtrack of "Music Man," parts of the "Wells Fargo Wagon" kept going through my head. This (along with the rest of the show is deeply ingrained in my brain.  However, i had a senior moment and forgot what Montogomery Wards sent.  "A __________ and a cross-cut saw"

Was it a bathtub?
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up