Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO MY DICTUM?  (Read 67715 times)

singdaw

Re:WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO MY DICTUM?
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »

That is serious looking stuff, DR elmore3003!  Be careful it doesn't make you sterile, as well!   :-\

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And could my radiator hiss any louder?!?!?!?!

What was it about your performance that it did not appreciate?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:03 AM »

Happy Birthday to GREG!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:50 AM »

What lovely photos yesterday....the Empire State Building, Christmas Trees, doggies in the snow.....wow!  And all great - including the smiling HHW'ers!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »

DR GINNY - might I suggest a Gmail account for your mom.  The YAHOO beta mail is a pain and causes lots of crashes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2008, 08:11:51 AM »

:-[

I've never seen it...

Ah....so you are MBarnum's alter-ego?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »

DR EDISAURUS my aversion to Ms Bernadette Peters is known in these here parts, but as I have said before - I thought she was wonderful in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE - I saw what other people seem to see in her in every other role - in this one, I saw it.

I too avoided the show/recording for decades just because....but after reading posts here, decided to buy the damn Video and look at it.

I loved it....and I am sure, hearing the comments of the HHW'ers in the know here - I would love this production as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:32 AM »

TOD:

Mashed potatoes
Mac and Cheese
Green Beans
Rhubarb

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:32 AM »

Maybe that was the objective...

I doubt that. It's in NBC's best interest to have the skaters come off to their best advantage. Ratings have been falling steadily for figure skating over the last decade, and I can see no advantage in making the skaters appear to be airheads or doofuses if they're trying to regain some popularity for the sport.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:23 AM »

Ah....so you are MBarnum's alter-ego?

;D

Actually, I am his leopard-print fainting couch!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:46 AM »

I'm off now to clean up before lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »

If anyone has seen bk's dictum, please return it to the front desk!

When do you suppose he first noticed it was missing?   ;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »

I thought Evan's win was okay....

The rivalry and bad blood that everyone keeps talking about seems to be as much about the commentators as the participants - trying to create some interest in this sport that is rapidly losing favor with Joe Q. Public.

The comments and video of Johnny Weir at the beginning of the show last night were particularly off putting to me:  things he said....as if he didn't LOVE having everyone talking about him and thinking about him....as if they do!  LOL

The interview with the two of them really showed more about them as people, I think.  Evan gave Johnny props for going through three competitions defending his title and Johnny was taken aback at the compliment.  But then they had nothing else to say and went back to the act....

Oh well.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »

DR derBRUCER - Debra Messing has neither tits nor talent.....but she IS the new Lucille Ball, just ask her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2008, 08:20:40 AM »

My feeling is, she isn't even the NEW Marjorie Lord.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:20:55 AM by JRand57 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »

Have some nice sides, DR MATTH.

DR JOSE - I think discussing the auditionees on your blog as you often do here, might be upsetting to some.......your blog is likely to become very popular in the trade....so discretion will out.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »

That is serious looking stuff, DR elmore3003!  Be careful it doesn't make you sterile, as well!   :-\

At my age, I should care!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »

DR GINNY - might I suggest a Gmail account for your mom.  The YAHOO beta mail is a pain and causes lots of crashes.

DR JRand - DS Rob suggested that, too.  If we can't get her Earthlink to send as well as receive, we might try that.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »

This weekend's National Figure Skating Championships were full of surprises and spectacular performances.  Especially fun was the Ladies' Free Skate in which Rachael Flatt, a chubby-cheeked chipmunk-like 15-year-old with "Ugly Betty" braces gave the outstanding performance of the night, outscoring her closest competitor (third-place finisher Ashley Wagner) by 5 points.  

Winner Mirai Nagasu, IMO, was way overhyped/overscored as I did not experience any emotion from any part of her (third-place) free skate performance.  Flatt's music ("Romantic Rhapsody" by Andre Mathieu, choreographed by Lori Nichol) was quite beautiful and she skated with joy and graceful precision (hence winning the free skate portion).  It's a shame her short program score held her back from winning it all.  

Also a shame was that Caroline Zhang fared poorly in the short program because her long program was among the best of the evening (she finished 4th in the free skate).  But she is 14, winner Mirai Nagasu is 14 and 2nd place finisher Rachael Flatt is 15, and none of them can go to World's...not this year.  Next year, Nagasu and Zhang may still be ineligible for World's....but that depends on when their birthdays fall (they can be within so many days of their 16th birthday and still qualify for World's).  I'm hoping Kimmie Meisner can find her muse.

I, too, think Johnny Weir was royally robbed, but I can understand how Evan Lysacek outscored him with his spins and footwork.  Weir's spins were a bit unimaginative and he didn't demonstrate much, if any, flexibility in them.  His footwork, while good, wasn't as difficult as Lysacek's.  

That said, I wasn't terribly impressed by Lysacek's skate...from the music selection (so many women have skated to "Tosca" that I guess he thought a man's using it would be unique), to his costume to his "flailing-himself-about-the-rink" execution.  The choreography was a bit Debbie Allen-ish...slaggish, as it were.  I've thought so every time I've seen him skate the program (this was the third time).  

Lysacek has this "goomba" aura that I find very annoying.  His costumes are always a bit "too goomba"... and that white satin blouse he wore (no doubt sewn for him by someone at Mr. Danny's Wedding Emporium) was NO exception.  I'm certain he affects "goomba-hood", given his self-expression, his operatic music choices and his ornate costumes that always make him seem a bit neckless and shorter than he is, and it all prevents him -- in my eyes -- from being world-class the way he "might" be otherwise.  Add the Michael-Weiss-preening-gene (i.e., "I'm-straight-and-don't-you-forget-it-'cause-I'm-not-gonna-let-you") and all the passion in the world will never make up for what he lacks that Weir possesses in spades.  

All Weir needs to do to pass Lysacek is improve the difficulty of his spins and footwork.  I don't think Lysacek can better Weir's presentation and jumps.  And Weir's music was WON-der-ful (and composed/performed just for his program!!)  Great music, that isn't overdone-to-death, is a major plus.

And three cheers for the national ice dancing champions Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto for another brilliant performance in the free dance.  If they don't fall too far behind their world competitors in the first two dances, the free dance should seal the deal for the gold medal at World's.

That's my take on things.  Yes, der Brucer, I'd love to have the final edit on Weir's costume.  I think he can retain the glitz and still look more masculine.  What's the point of out diva-ing the ladies in the costume department?

Oh, and about the Truth Booth:  I rather liked it.  It's far more interesting than the standard pointing-the-microphone at the skater and asking the usual questions (how do you think you did, do you think you needed a triple-triple combination, should you have done a quad/should you have skipped the quad?, etc.  Isolated as they were, they got to speak about exactly what they were thinking at the moment.  It may not be what everyone wants to hear, but it beats the old interviews with the interviewer being predictable and flat.

So that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:01:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2008, 08:33:59 AM »

;D

Actually, I am his leopard-print fainting couch!

And is that fulfilling for you?   :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »

The comments and video of Johnny Weir at the beginning of the show last night were particularly off putting to me:  things he said....as if he didn't LOVE having everyone talking about him and thinking about him....as if they do!  LOL

Actually....they do.  They're just not the people you talk to.

The skating world is a universe unto itself.  Weir generates tons of talk whether he's being cooperative or whether he's shying away.  

Just because you were offput doesn't mean there aren't tens of thousands of folks out there relishing every moment.

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »

What was it about your performance that it did not appreciate?

der Brucer

I'm guessing our Jo isn't as presentable upon waking up as he is when he's seen on the street.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »

DR derBRUCER - Debra Messing has neither tits nor talent.....but she IS the new Lucille Ball, just ask her.

This will have to go down as one of the RED LETTER days on this forum, because I'm going to SURPRISE you and AGREE with you onehunnertpercent!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »

Thanks, DR FJL - you're always giving me these great ideas!

But I really wouldn't want to take down that photo from the shrine above my bed...    :)

And in your closet wardrobe:

(On sale at AMAZON

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:11:52 AM by DERBRUCER »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2008, 08:51:25 AM »

Wouldn't you know it!  I am all set to get up and go to the doctor this morning, instead of work - And what happens?  It snowed last night.  It is not a lot of snow, at least not at my house, but other areas are having lots of snow and ice.  So far, no one is answering at my doctor's clinic.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »

(On sale at AMAZON)

What WILL they think of next?   :)

singdaw

« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2008, 08:54:36 AM »

So far, no one is answering at my doctor's clinic.

Perhaps someone tipped them off that you might be coming in?    8)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

Hmm...

In my neighborhood, the decorations seem to run directly from Halloween to Christmas to...Valentine's Day!!

What - no burning crosses for MLK day?

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »

DR TCB - I don't see that anyone answered your question from yesterday.  They imported the leads from the UK production:  Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell.

Thanks to DRs FJL and JoseSPiano for posting your impressions.  :)

Okay, now I see what someone meant about his wig!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:12 AM »

Wouldn't you know it!  I am all set to get up and go to the doctor this morning, instead of work - And what happens?  It snowed last night.  It is not a lot of snow, at least not at my house, but other areas are having lots of snow and ice.  

No doubt the lack of snow at your house is due to unusually high levels of heat emanating from therein.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up