Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO MY DICTUM?  (Read 67952 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO MY DICTUM?
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »

I'm curious.

And...

Ooh! Ooh!

I've gone and started

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] P A G E 8[/size][/font][/glow][/shadow]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:11:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - performed any triple axels lately?  ;)

and I even managed to stay up right....   ;D
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »

Nah.... axes are no fun.... No grace!

AS for pewter medals... who knows...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »

One trick of walking on ice is how fast the wind is blowing...

singdaw

« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »

When did "they" start giving out "Pewter Medals" for fourth place finishers

It's the Lee Remick Memorial award [ ah, a The Competition reference!  :D ]

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »

WWBBD?

[What Would Brian Boitano Do?]

;D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2008, 11:31:49 AM »

Thanks bk, der B and Jrand for the birthday wishes (and anyone else I missed!)

Now we're going to do something really FUN! (No---we're not making a lamp out of a squirrel...)

We're going to naughty Marietta to see if we can get my 18 year old Corolla running so it can hopefully pass inspection.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »

TOD: I would love to have the cooking DRs post some heart-healthy and delicious side-dish recipes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »

HEART HEALTHY?????

You want us to take all the fun out of eating!   :'(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »

TOD:  Potatoes!  And even more potatoes!  And rice.  And Macaroni and cheese.   And potatoes!
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »

For example, I've been going through Bobby Flay Cooks American, part of the latest round from Jessica's Biscuit, and found this tasty variant on smashed potatoes:

Place a stick of slightly softened, unsalted butter in a food processor, along with six chopped cloves of garlic and a half cup of chopped soft herbs.  (Any mix of soft herbs, such as mint, parsley, chives, tarragon, and cilantro will work - go for a balance that will match the main dish.)  Blend until smooth, season with salt and pepper, and refrigerate until everything else is ready.

(OK, I know - why use unsalted butter if you're going to use salt, right?  Because if you use salted butter you don't have any control over the amount of salt you're using!)

Peel and cut into chunks five pounds of Yukon Gold taters, put into a large saucepan, add enough cold water to cover, and a couple of tablespoons of salt.  Bring to a boil, and let cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until soft.  Drain well, and put the pan (and taters) back over low heat.

Add 1 cup heavy cream plus 1 cup milk and the green garlic butter, and mash until smooth.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Serves eight.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

Ginny I look forward to reading of your mother’s travels.

Ron, I enjoy reading your posts of the skating competition.  There is so much to watch that I find it too difficult to do when Keith has absolutely no interest in skating.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

HAPPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR EDI’S DH GREG!

Cilla, great news on the cat front, and the new pieces of furniture.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

Side dishes:the lobster bisque(at Red Lobster-so sue me)also cooked by Mary Ann O'Connell, who added to a similar bisgue the lobster meat from 2 lobsters-a very full side dish. I tried some special label canned L bisgue, but they were awful(I think they added clam juice)...Long ago and far away my father liked to putter in the kitchen, and he made french fries by par-boiling them first. Make your fries, pour boiling water on them , then deep fry as usual. They absorb less oil, come out white looking and very Tasty....Speaking of Mr B>D Wong, one of the cable channels has been running a movie from '94 called MEN OF WAR, starring Dolph Lundgren; It's an enjoyable action movie even if a lot of Mr Wong's dialog consists of telling Mr Lundgren "OK Boss" Re the SAGs, I wish Blood had been as remotely moving as Mr Day- Lewis' acceptance speech.

Jane

« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »

Jose, the series of photos from elmore’s office made me smile.
DR elmore, nice view!

Edi, I completely enjoyed all of your NY photos, & details of your stay.
Thank you regarding our lap dog.

singdaw

« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »

Cilla, great news on the cat front

Tuna in oil...

Who'dve thunk it?      :)

singdaw

« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »

Keith has absolutely no interest in skating.

Let him tell you that again after he's had to walk DD Sherlock on an icy and steeply raked driveway!   :P

Ginny

« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:47 PM »

Ginny I look forward to reading of your mother’s travels.

OK, Jane, I'll keep you posted.  She's no longer up to anything as ambitious as her Alaska cruise (it was too much for her even then), but she's pretty enthused about the shorter trips.

Ron, I enjoy reading your posts of the skating competition.  There is so much to watch that I find it too difficult to do when Keith has absolutely no interest in skating.

Years ago, when we bought a 2nd set, Richard and Rob christened it the "Figure Skating TV."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »

I'm not a big sweet potato fan, but Flay has me interested with this one:

Lemon-Glazed Sweet Potatoes

In a small non-reactive pan, combine two cups lemon juice with two cups granulated sugar and one tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest.  Bring to a boil, and let reduce down to 1/2 cup.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  

Peel five large sweet potatoes, cut them into 1/2 inch dice, and toss them in a couple of tablespoons olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet.  Roast the potatoes in the oven for about twenty to twenty-five minutes, until lightly browned and just cooked through.

Move the pan to the stove top, on medium heat, and pour the glaze over the potatoes and cook, tossing often, until soft and glazed.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

...Ron, I enjoy reading your posts of the skating competition.  There is so much to watch that I find it too difficult to do when Keith has absolutely no interest in skating.

Try hiding the remote under Sherlock!

Jane

« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »

I had a hankering to see Boitano's gold medal winning free skate from 1988 - and then realized that it can probably be found on YouTube.  :D

I'm at work now, but will check that out later when I get home.

If so, please post it.  It is one of my all time favorite, if not the favorite, skating performance.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »

HEART HEALTHY?????
You want us to take all the fun out of eating!   :'(

Well, you all don't have to eat it. But I thought you might have some ideas for me.

Such as one tablespoon of olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and some fresh brussel sprouts. Now that's yummy.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »

Or the beets you posted once.

Jane

« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »

Let him tell you that again after he's had to walk DD Sherlock on an icy and steeply raked driveway!   :P

To prevent such an incident, Keith has been working hard clearing our very long driveway.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »

I'm assuming, DearReaderLaura, that you are steaming the Brussels Sprouts?

You would be amazed what a very light drizzle of Balsamic vinegar can do to their flavor!

Jane

« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »

Try hiding the remote under Sherlock!

;D  Like DR Laura we do have two TV's.  After so many years of not having him home, while he traveled for work, we enjoying watching together.

I could watch ice skating while he is at his computer, but then I couldn't be here visiting with all you wonderful people.  

Jane

« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »

George, sorry about the widescreen.  I checked, & even asked, after posting & it was ok on my screen.  Shortly after I couldn’t reconnect for awhile & worried I had done something.  When I returned all seemed fine.  Who fixed it?

Thanks Dakota

Jane

« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2008, 12:16:23 PM »

I hope all is going well with TCB's appointment.

Off to take Sherlock for a romp in the snow.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

Hello, everyone.

A busy day here, but productive, and I'm pleased about that. More to do, though, so gotta run.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »

Or, how about Melted Napa Cabbage:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Thinly slice two pounds Napa cabbage, put in a roasting pan, and add one cup red wine vinegar, plus two tablespoons honey and two cups chicken stock.  Season with salt and pepper, cover with foil, and bake for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage is wilted.

Remove from the oven and stir in 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint.  Serve with a slotted spoon if the cabbage is very wet.

Serves four.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up