Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: DRY HEAVE  (Read 69786 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:DRY HEAVE
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »

Is anyone else as "jazzed" as I am by today's Gold Box over at Amazon.com?

I could just dance a jig, I'm so excited by it!

I'm gonna buy three!    :D

PAGE NINE
GOLD BOX
DEAL OF THE DAY DANCE!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D [/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »

Upon this rock....now that's a euphemism.

Yes...for Peter.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »

1952 was a strange year at the Oscars, that's for sure!  It's the year that Jean Hagen was nominated for supporting actress, while SINGIN' IN THE RAIN was not nominated for best picture.

It's only strange in retrospect.  In 1952, "Singin' in the Rain" was a flashy musical comedy with tried-and-true musical numbers and lavish production values.  It was not taken seriously.  Read what N.Y. Times movie critic Bosley Crowther had to say about it.  As great as the review is, I think it's apparent he doesn't believe it's as significant as folks think it is today.

I offer this paragraph as evidence of Crowther's way of seeing the film 56 years ago:

Take as a token of the picture its title, "Singin' in the Rain," which has no more to do with its story than it has to do with performing dogs. Of all things, this song-and-dance contrivance is an impudent, offhand comedy about the outlandish making of movies back in the sheik-and-flapper days when they were bridging- the perilous chasm from silent to talking films. And its plot, if that's what you'd call it, concerns a silent film star who is linked with a slut-voiced leading lady while wooing a thrushy new young thing.

That sort of dismissive way he describes the story and characters was typical back then.

Few movies of this kind were taken "really seriously".  The comedies that did make it with the critics and "establishment", like "Adam's Rib", embraced social issues.  The musicals had to be loftier, like "An American in Paris" and its artistic ballet that allowed many critics and Academy voters to forgive (and, thus, reward) Alan Jay Lerner for his tired screenplay.

In 1952, "With A Song in My Heart" was far more highly regarded as a motion picture musical with a strong real-life heroine.  It was a "dramatic musical" film.   A lot of folks express disbelief today that "Singin' in the Rain" didn't win the Oscar for music adaptation (confusing that category with "Best Musical").  Either way, "With A Song in My Heart" was pretty much a sure thing that year.

Yes, times have changed and "Singin' in the Rain" is appreciated more fully for its tale of Hollywood's changeover from silents to talkies and its parody of personalities who did and did not succeed with the changeover.  Gene Kelly's wonderful title song dance, and the "Broadway Ballet" give it an added appeal for "most" movie fans of all ages/persuasions (except JRand, of course!).

Historically, it is another golden star in a list of of gold-star accomplishments by the Freed Unit at MGM.  Seen as a whole, movies made by Arthur Freed and his unparalleled team of associates look positively brilliant compared to most fare from other studios during those years (1940s through 1950s).  

I don't watch "Singin' in the Rain" all that often.  It's fun, but it wears thin after a while.

Some folks think that's true of all musicals, but t'ain't so.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 03:39:45 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »

SURVIVOR SPOILERS

SURVIVOR SPOILERS

More Survivor:

When Yau Man tackled Johnny Fairplay for the idol....I was never happier in my life! LOL!

I have always liked Jonathan...there is just something about him that appeals to me...and it is nice to see Ozzie again...although I didn't even recognize him with his short hair....and of course James is just so nice to look at! What a man!

I think this will be a very fun season of SURVIVOR!

i really dislike johnny fairplay. But i thought yauman was way out of line. I guess if it was someone i loved vs someone i hated, it might have made a difference.

Jonathan was always quite smart. But i just never really liked him on his season.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »

Of course, people might think that anyway, if I walk about...      :P

Or, indeed, even if you stay seated.

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »

I'll vote for "Crash" as being the worst film ever to win Best Picture.

Hey, I liked that movie!

George

« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »

One of the songs was performed in English (called "You Don't Have To Be There") by Alice Ripley in her duet concert "RAW" with Emily Skinner (recorded by BK on Kritzterland!).  I don't know if it's one of the songs in the songbook (yet...I'll listen tonight at home), but if it is, I'll pencil in the English lyrics. :)

It is in the songbook!  I listened to the sample on www.kritzerland.com and the song in Swedish is called "Du Måste Finnas." :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »

SURVIVOR SPOILERS

SURVIVOR SPOILERSBut i thought yauman was way out of line. I guess if it was someone i loved vs someone i hated, it might have made a difference.

I did not think him out of line.  Fairplay already had one idol.  Yau Man saw that, and they both saw the "other" idol and Yau Man made a mad dash to get it before Jonny snagged it.  His momentum propelled him into Fairplay (who, since he had the one, surely didn't need two since they were only going to be in play one time).  Jonny's whine afterward was his "way" to get folks to pity him.

I was tickled pink that Fairplay had to give up the one he did get because it was for the other team (and Jeff had been very clear that there was an idol for "each" team).  Jonny was greedy and got what he deserved.

Yau Man RULES!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 03:58:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »

Our temps are supposed to go back into the deep freeze for the next 2 days.  

Does the Department of Labor know you abuse part-timers this way?

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »

During one of my trips over the hill to Hollywood this next week I believe I will dine at this place: LUCKY DEVILS (Lucky Vanous' new dinning establishment)  http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?searchtab=dining&oid=76722&task=restaurants&option=com_calendar&Itemid=571

My co-workers friend just got a job there as the pastry chef, so I will stop in an say hello...and of course congratulate Lucky, should he be there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »

I think I'm definitely feeling better today and I think I'm going to try some food after the show at LACC - I'll probably go to Du-Par's and get some poached eggs.

George

« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »

During one of my trips over the hill to Hollywood this next week I believe I will dine at this place: LUCKY DEVILS (Lucky Vanous' new dinning establishment)  http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?searchtab=dining&oid=76722&task=restaurants&option=com_calendar&Itemid=571

My co-workers friend just got a job there as the pastry chef, so I will stop in an say hello...and of course congratulate Lucky, should he be there.

Pictures!!  Take LOTS of pictures!!

;D

MBarnum

« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

DR Jennifer,

I also don't think Yau Man really meant to tackle Johnny Fairplay....they were both running so fast and towards the same object...JF was just being a big, whiney, idiot, baby. If he could't handle being tackled by a 50-something-year-old who weighs in at around 95 pounds...well, then he should never have considered being on such a physically challenging game show.

And besides he is such a jerk!

MBarnum

« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »

I wonder if any other old TV stars have restaurants I might want to visit?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #254 on: February 08, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

Congratulations, DR td, on your permanent status with Border's.  Have I ever mentioned that I started shopping at Border's when it was an 800-square-foot used bookstore in Ann Arbor, Michigan?

The old two story building?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »

I've always enjoyed the movie for what it is:  A spectacular circus story told well and with a handsome cast.

And it sure was a thrill-ride for this 14 year old in the theatre.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »

We're "regular" employees...

And eat a high-fiber diet to remain so!

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »

Does the Department of Labor know you abuse part-timers this way?

der Brucer

It took several minutes...and a couple of re-readings...but I got it!

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

Check out some cafeterias.  Old folks enjoy cafeterias.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »

Before I attempt to catch up, just a note for bk - the package arrived safely - thank you so much.  Along with bk's package was another package that contained the "Brigadoon" recording with Shirley Jones (whom I've been enjoying on "Days of Our Lives") and Jack Cassidy.

td

• td
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »

Hey, I liked that movie!

We may agree then to disagree.  
That's what makes horse racing.
Even the presence of Brendan Fraser couldn't make me like it.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »

DR TCB, is that a real bow tie you're wearing, or a clip-on?

I have tried to master the art of tying a real bow tie, but it eludes me...  :(

If you fly out here, i can show you.  I can send you a couple of lessons-- but be prepared to spend a couple of hours some frustration, nad the fact it won't look right away the first time.  It takes some fiddling, and some ties work better than others.   I have a about 200 ( I gave some away to tohers who are hopefully wearing them), so i know which ones work--------- but it's worth it.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2008, 04:23:32 PM »

Today in the mail (I had it sent to my work), I received the songbook to Kristina Från Duvemåla from soundofmusic-shop.de:

:D

One of the songs was performed in English (called "You Don't Have To Be There") by Alice Ripley in her duet concert "RAW" with Emily Skinner (recorded by BK on Kritzterland!).  I don't know if it's one of the songs in the songbook (yet...I'll listen tonight at home), but if it is, I'll pencil in the English lyrics. :)

The song in Swedish is called "Du Maste Finnas"; I scored about 8 years ago for a recording by JAY Records
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:24:45 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »

Some current stars do!
Justin Timberlake, Ashton Kuchner, Robert De Niro...

You should have come sooner when Alan Hale still had his Lobster joint.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »

Will we never get to page ten?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »

West Coast hainsies/kimlets - we will try to do an MBarnum night this coming Sunday - who amongst you is available for such a thing?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »

It took several minutes...and a couple of re-readings...but I got it!

;D

Well, it's both subtle and clean - out of character for me 8)

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »

I am glad you feel better, BK.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »

Oh DR Kerry, I’m very sorry.  May you find an even better job in the very near future.      

Tomovoz

« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »

I was just trying to post some pics but the upload folder is full again.
I have at last remembered to photograph the next door neighbour's puppy.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up