Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO NORMAL  (Read 73603 times)

Ginny

Re:BACK TO NORMAL
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »

I mentioned Pita Pit to my kids, and they decided to go out to get pitas. At Pita Pit.

Do they serve Cherry Coke?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

I'm also seriously considering a 32 or 37 inch Vizio. I've heard good things from a friend who has one. I know it's lower end for LCDs, but it sounds like I won't be sorry

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

I'm also seriously considering a 32 or 37 inch Vizio. I've heard good things from a friend who has one. I know it's lower end for LCDs, but it sounds like I won't be sorry

Just remember - no matter how wise the purchase, in about a month something better will always come along :D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »

Jose, could you explain to some of us slower-witted people, exactly what these auditions are for and who attends them?

Both of the conferences that I play for each year, UPTA and SETC are mass auditions.  Anywhere from 800-900 people - auditioners - show up, and get a chance to audition for about 90-120 different theatre companies - all at once.  SETCs is the more college-student/summer stock oriented of the two conferences, but both organizations offer opportunities for year-round professional work at all levels, all over the country.  SETC is also considered the "Grandfather/mother" of all the regional conferences.  -There's also Midwest (MTCs), Mid-Atlantic (MATCs), New England (NETCs), as well as the National Dinner Theatre and Outdoor Drama auditions/conventions.  If you go to each organizations website, you can see which companies are in attendance.  I've been playing for SETCs - both their fall and spring conferences - since 1994 (I think), and for UPTAs for the past five or six years - I've lost count.

The major difference between the two organizations is that SETC is truly a Theatrical Organization.  There are State, College, Community Theatre, Children's Theatre, etc. divisions.  The annual spring convention bring together all those divisions - and people(!) - under one roof, one rather large roof.  I think the average attendance for the spring convention is around 4000.  UPTAs is purely an audition - no vendors, no keynote speakers, etc.  Additionally, the SETC Spring Convention "travels" from state to state within the conference each year.  UPTAs was started in Memphis - it's part of Playhouse on the Square - and stays here.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »

THe parties have always controlled it..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

DR Jose, was that the veggie burger?

Be careful, it seems to me you have been eating too many fried foods lately.

Veggie Burger?!?!?!?!  -I wasn't going to pay an extra 50 cents for a Veggie Burger.  ;D

-And, yes, I know I have been splurging quite a bit this trip - and even before I took this trip.  In fact, I really don't think I'm going to fit in any BBQ this time due to my latest indulgences.  I'll be detoxing once I get back to NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »

Just remember - no matter how wise the purchase, in about a month something better will always come along :D

der Brucer

Oh, I know.  The TV I have now is a Panasonic I got at Wal-Mart 6 years ago and frankly it works fine but as much TV as I watch it would be cool to have the HDTV. I can move the one I have now down the basement, and I could move the little tv there to the office where I occasionally need to view dvds and vhs evidence discs and tapes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »

Thank you for defining the difference.  Sometimes I see recipes for lemon meringue pie made with condensed milk, which never seems right to me. I love my meringue but I'm still looking for the perfect pie filling.

Cook's Illustrated has a great Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.  Alas, like most CI recipes, it's a bit fussy, and sort of takes the fun out of cooking, but it is good.  Just the right consistency, and a good balance of sour and sweet.  -However, I do stand by CI's German Chocolate Cake recipe.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »

WARNING!   WARNING!   WARNING!
[/size][/b]

Please read thiis warning from Snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/valentine.asp

This one is for real, and is dangerous.  Don't open any e-mails from unknown sources.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2008, 05:01:12 PM »

Both of the conferences that I play for each year, UPTA and SETC are mass auditions.  Anywhere from 800-900 people - auditioners - show up, and get a chance to audition for about 90-120 different theatre companies - all at once.  SETCs is the more college-student/summer stock oriented of the two conferences, but both organizations offer opportunities for year-round professional work at all levels, all over the country.  SETC is also considered the "Grandfather/mother" of all the regional conferences.  -There's also Midwest (MTCs), Mid-Atlantic (MATCs), New England (NETCs), as well as the National Dinner Theatre and Outdoor Drama auditions/conventions.  If you go to each organizations website, you can see which companies are in attendance.  I've been playing for SETCs - both their fall and spring conferences - since 1994 (I think), and for UPTAs for the past five or six years - I've lost count.

The major difference between the two organizations is that SETC is truly a Theatrical Organization.  There are State, College, Community Theatre, Children's Theatre, etc. divisions.  The annual spring convention bring together all those divisions - and people(!) - under one roof, one rather large roof.  I think the average attendance for the spring convention is around 4000.  UPTAs is purely an audition - no vendors, no keynote speakers, etc.  Additionally, the SETC Spring Convention "travels" from state to state within the conference each year.  UPTAs was started in Memphis - it's part of Playhouse on the Square - and stays here.

Do only young actors audition?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »

Do only young actors audition?

No.  All ages are represented, as well as Equity and non-Equity - although, the Equity turnout is considerably smaller than the non-Equity turnout.  Some companies really do prefer "Adults" to be played by real "Adults".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2008, 05:20:08 PM »

Thanks for the warning, DR TCB.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »

My day with my sister was delightful.  We took some donations to the site of next month's AAUW/Middletown used book sale, did a shopping errand at Kohl's, and met my AAUW friends at Olive Garden for a lovely luncheon and a very interesting speech by Linda Silakoski, an immigration attorney from NE Ohio.  I'd heard Linda speak twice before and could listen to her again tomorrow.  Nancy (my sister) and I went to pick up Mom and the 3 of us went to Border's for birthday presents for Rob's girlfriend.  She turns 21 on Monday and Richard and I will take them out to lunch tomorrow after church.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »

Cillaliz - I have a 32" Panasonic (Hi-Def) in my den which I like very much, and it's a brand that I trust.

When I was a lowly Wal*Mart employee, I bought my mum a Hi-Def TV for the living room: RCA 52" Widescreen Projection HDTV w/ Digital Tuner, R52WH74, which is another brand I like.  

Either set can be bought for less than a grand.

I had no troubles calibrating my Pannie, but, I took days and days to get the RCA right.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »

Thanks TD.

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2008, 05:32:59 PM »

I'm really curious about the Memorex 32" TC. It's only $588 at Sears,  The picture looked great at the store, but I'm having trouble finding reviews on the net...

td

• td
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »

I'm really curious about the Memorex 32" TC. It's only $588 at Sears,  The picture looked great at the store, but I'm having trouble finding reviews on the net...

I take it you read the few here:
http://reviews.sears.com/2328/05771787000P/reviews.htm

Cillaliz

« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »

Yes, I read those. I'm just surprised there is nothing on CNet or a site like that. I've been doing more research on the Vizio 37 inch and am seriously considering it. It's had decent reviews from a lot of places. Not the best HDTV around, but it sounds very good for the price which is in the $700s.

td

• td
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »

;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »

Cilla, though I took it back because a bigger one later come up on sale for less, I was really pleased with the 32" Samsung, plus it had PIP, which was kind of cool.  And it was cheap ($399 IIRC).

We've been very happy both with our Sharp Aquos and the new Sylvania 37" we have.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »

Our tv has to be turned on ten minutes before the show so it can warm up so you can see the picture. If you are lucky you can see the picture, that is. Even then, the color is bad.

I suspect when they change to the new way of broadcasting next year, we'll do without.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:15:40 PM by DearReaderLaura »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »

I am looking at getting a new telly later this year due to my present telly that is slowly dying. I am not sure if i will still need to get a digital antenna for the new telly since I do not have cable.

I have had good luck with Mitsubishi and I have a telly and vcr from taht company. I gave the vcr to my mother who is now using it. Both pieces are nearly 20 years old. Actually teh VCR works better than the telly.  I suspect the picture tube is starting to fail and the audio is up and down at best. The picture every once in awhiile goes blurry and washes out in the middle and then comes back

It can happen when you turn it on or after it has been on for awhile. It is steadily getting worse.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »

If i watch telly, it is mostly dvds or tapes. There is a not a lot of choice of what to watch when you do not have cable.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

Tonight's Lawrence Welk Show is a tribute to Irving Berlin.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »

What is interesting is the fact that there have been increased sunspot activity and it will continue to increase. I wonder how that will affect digital transmission?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »

It amazes me how that show lives on nearly 20 years after his death.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2008, 06:08:59 PM »

I like to watch the grandmas and grandpas dancing.

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2008, 06:13:52 PM »

Cilla, though I took it back because a bigger one later come up on sale for less, I was really pleased with the 32" Samsung, plus it had PIP, which was kind of cool.  And it was cheap ($399 IIRC).

We've been very happy both with our Sharp Aquos and the new Sylvania 37" we have.

Hmm, I just got out the measuring tape and what I have now is a 27".   So a 32" would probably be all I need for the same space. I was almost convinced I needed 37" now I'm not so sure. I will check out the Samsung

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »

DR Cillaliz - I believe my parents have that Vizio model.  They like it a lot.  And I like it too.  -If that means anything.

-I will admit to not being that much of a video-phile, but when switching between regular television broadcasts and high-definition ones... WOW!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »

At least with a new telly, I can put it on Closed captioning and not have complaints of having the telly to loud
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up