Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO NORMAL  (Read 73549 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:BACK TO NORMAL
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »

I just realized the time...

'night

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2008, 07:15:48 PM »

Thanks for the Abner clip, DR elmore3003!  :)

I played one of Abner's fishing "cronies" in a high school production.  Always loved the show.
Pre-Yokumberry treatment?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »

Thank you, I just found it on another recipe site.  After looking at the recipe, I think it would take an hour to copy it, with pencil & paper ;D

I'm curious what the difference is between the fillings on their two pies.  At least I have this one & I will try it the next time I have a craving to make a pie.  Personally I would rather have the option to pick up a single tart from time to time.  It's hard to find good ones, especially around here.

All this talk of pie is making me hungry.  Thank goodness I have some Oreos in the house.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:19:44 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2008, 07:21:08 PM »

TV Reminder:

Need I say it?

TORCHWOOD!!!
[/color][/glow]
Snoggery occurred.

Of course.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »

Tomorrow I am going out to brunch, and I know they usually have a chocolate-peanut butter pie that is wonderful, without being overly sweet.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2008, 07:28:05 PM »

Met up with vixter and vixmom after they saw RENT, which vixter seemed to enjoy tremendously.

We ate at Red Lobster on the corner of the theater where RENT is playing - lovely conversation, lovely Ceasar Salad, yummy mozzarella sticks.  My entree was a shrimp, lobster and steak dish - the shrimp and lobster were delicious, but the steak was oddly lackluster; I should have known fish was their specialty, but I'd had a great non-fish  (chicken) dish there a few weeks ago, so maybe I had the steak on an off night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2008, 07:37:33 PM »

Met up with vixter and vixmom after they saw RENT, which vixter seemed to enjoy tremendously.

We ate at Red Lobster on the corner of the theater where RENT is playing - lovely conversation, lovely Ceasar Salad, yummy mozzarella sticks.  My entree was a shrimp, lobster and steak dish - the shrimp and lobster were delicious, but the steak was oddly lackluster; I should have known fish was their specialty, but I'd had a great non-fish  (chicken) dish there a few weeks ago, so maybe I had the steak on an off night.

Oh, I love the garlic cheese biscuits at Red Lobster.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »

DR Jane - The Cupboard's Lemon Meringue Pie and Lemon Icebox Pie are different animals, well, at least different pies.  The filling for their Lemon Meringue is definitely a custard - no condensed milk in it.  The Lemon Icebox Pie filling is basically lemon-flavored condensed milk with eggs added for "body". ;)
You might want to re-think this, Jose.

And I'm quoting from Michael Ruhlman's Elements of Cooking
Custard: The most basic defination of custard is simply liquid thickened by eggs, a fundamental preparation, and idea, in both the savory and sweet kitchen.  Custards give us some of our best dishes -- quiches, creme brule, and creme anglaise (sometimes called custard sauce).  Because they're so prevalent in desserts, we tend to think of custards as sweet, though standard custard technique -- liquid, eggs, sseasoning, mixed and baked in a water bath -- can be applied to virtually any flavor to which you want to rbing the custard texture.  An herb custard to garnish a savory soup, olive oil custard with a la grecque vegetables, tarragon or bone marrow with beef.  Escoffier added a diced custard (called a royale) to consomme.  The liquid might be partly vegetable or fruit juice, though fat is a large part of the custard's exquisite texture and shouldn't be avoided altogether.

In other words, condensed milk is not what makes a custard a custard.  That's the job of the eggs.  Both the Lemon Meringue and Lemon Ice Box pies, if both contain eggs in the fillings, qualify.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »

One of the Bluths from Bluth Brothers Theatre--Don Bluth--worked for Disney as an animator. He drew birds. At a cast party, Don was asked to do his bird imitation. It was incredibily realistic. In order to draw birds well, of course, one must study them. Don had so many of the movements, so many of the nuances.

DR MATTH, I believe, was referring to documentaries rather than animation. But, as DR GEORGE would say, I just had to pass that on.
OUCH!

I doubt that Don Bluth would necessarily want to be remembered for his time at Disney.  He notoriously led a walk-out of Disney animators, reportedly about a third of the animators on payroll at the time, because he was dissatisfied with the lower quality of work Disney was insisting on.  He then went on to direct The Secret of NIMN, An American Tale, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Anastasia, and Titan AE, among other films.

FJL

« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »

Cilla - I agree, the biscuits were glorious!

I wish they took reservations, rather than having the wait-until-the-contraption-lights-up system for getting seated.  I'd eat there a lot more often.

Cillaliz

« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »

I'm watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I didn't realize that Helena Bonham Carter was in this. So she worked with Johnny Depp before Sweeney Todd.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »

I have cleaned the dead mice out of the garage. That is all.
So, this means your garage is now, uh, squeeky clean?

;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2008, 08:03:51 PM »

You might want to re-think this, Jose.

And I'm quoting from Michael Ruhlman's Elements of CookingIn other words, condensed milk is not what makes a custard a custard.  That's the job of the eggs.  Both the Lemon Meringue and Lemon Ice Box pies, if both contain eggs in the fillings, qualify.

Picky, picky, picky.

Don't you have a Rachael Ray cookbook to "read"?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2008, 08:08:55 PM »

Seriously... The Cupboard's Lemon Icebox Pie and their Lemon Meringue Pie are truly different pies.  That's really all I was indicating.

Interestingly enough, the recipe - at least the one in their cookbook - for their Lemon Icebox Pie does not call for cooking of the eggs.  Hmm...  -Ah, for the days of pre-salmonella scares.

And, yes, I know, technically speaking, that Hollandaise, Bernaise, and the other "spin-off" sauces are also technically custards.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »

...Don't you have a Rachael Ray cookbook to "read"?

;D
Who she?   ::)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »

Hi! Looking for advice from the HDTV experts...I'm thinking about getting a 32" set. I'd like to get something on the inexpensive end.  I've been told that for that size you really can't tell any difference between 768 and 1080. 'is that right?There's a Memorex on sale at Sears ttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771787000P The picture was great and I'm considering it.  I saw a nice Sony Bravia, but it's about twice the price. And there are a couple Vizios. Next to the Memorex, the picture wasn't nearly as good, but ....

Any suggestions. I'm planning to use part of my tax refund for it. As much TV as I watch I figure I deserve it.

Absolutely right. At that screen size, 768p and 1080p won't look any different. The eye can't differentiate the difference at normal viewing distances.

Vizio has gotten better reviews in the magazines I read than the Memorex. Also, remember that TVs usually aren't calibrated for the home viewing setting in stores. In stores, they're dialed it to accentuate color and pop under bright lights, but they're often tinkered with by others, too, so unless you calibrate it yourself at the store you have no idea what they've been dialed into. Don't think for a second that they're calibrated for optimum conditions at the store.

So go with price and features. Once you get it home, most name brands can be dialed in to get good to great pictures depending on the sources you use.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:23:57 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »

Just read that hD DVD and Blu-ray discs have problems being closed captioned...

Absolutely not true. At least not Blu-ray. I haven't reviewed a single Blu-ray disc that didn't have English subtitles, CC, or SDH. And they worked just fine.

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2008, 08:21:56 PM »

Snoggery occurred.

Of course.

And quite wonderful was the snoggery. It will be saved.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »

RE: the new ABC series Eli Stone.

What is the biggest fantasy aspect of this new show?

A)  That someone as goofy looking as Eli can have a fiancee as great looking as whatever her name is.

B)  That Victor Garber can break out in song in the middle of his law office.

C)  That, once again, we're being treated to a San Francisco that has NO GAY PEOPLE IN IT!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »

TOD:

I'm very much amazed that no one has mentioned The Muppet Movie.

Who can forget the shot of a super-sized Animal towering over the wild west town?

An!  Ni!!  MAL!!!  AN!!!!  NI!!!!!  MAL!!!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »

RE: the new ABC series Eli Stone.

What is the biggest fantasy aspect of this new show?

A)  That someone as goofy looking as Eli can have a fiancee as great looking as whatever her name is.

B)  That Victor Garber can break out in song in the middle of his law office.

C)  That, once again, we're being treated to a San Francisco that has NO GAY PEOPLE IN IT!!!

What you call goofy, I call adorable, so one man's meat . . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »

I watched a batch of FAMILY TIES episodes tonight. In fact, I have only two left in the set!

I was mentioning this afternoon that I didn't think Justine Bateman was very good at this stage of her career. However, she did impress me in one episode that was a spotlight show for her dealing the with death of a beloved aunt. She showed genuine emotion, basically fell apart at the funeral and was very believable and quite moving.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

Good evening, all!

As this was my first day off this year, I decided to spend it doing "Hard Labor" at our house in Marietta. So I took my weed wrenches there and, in honor of Arbor Day, pulled up about 60 trees, many with tap roots several feet long.

There are at least that many left to pull up, so I may go back tomorrow to work on it before a birthday lunch with Greg's family.

Boy, I can feel every one of those trees. Ouch!

I think this is also the first physical exercise of the year, too.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »

Last night I stumbled across GREEN HORNET being shown on the American Life channel, and I stuck around to see the last 5-10 minutes of it. I noticed that a BATMAN episode with Julie Newmar was airing later in the evening, so I had the DVR pick it up. I watched that tonight as a break from FAMILY TIES.

There has been a great clamor for BATMAN on DVD but rights issues between Fox and Warners and DC Comics have prevented its release.

Truth be told, I'd rather have the one season of GREEN HORNET than the three seasons of BATMAN. Though Newmar was typically fetching as Catwoman, the episode itself was pretty lame. I believe this one came from season two.

Edisaurus

« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »

DR TCB, love the new avatar!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #265 on: February 09, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »

I noticed BURKE'S LAW was coming on tonight on American Life Channel, so I set the DVR to record it. I'll watch that tomorrow while I'm cooking and eating lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »

And, as mentioned previously, TORCHWOOD was quite wonderful tonight.

Another love story through time episode, very touching, most enjoyable.

Edisaurus

« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »

Oh, that Freddie!

Who is taking care of your critters while you're out of town, MBarnum? Tell Freddie to stay away from the neighbors' garages!

Cillaliz

« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »

DR Matt H - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  

I was hoping you would weigh in on this. I feel much better about this and I do believe I will pick up the 32 inch Vizio tomorrow. There are 2 different 32inch Vizios, but Sam's has the one that has PIP and POP in stock.  So I'll spend a part of my refund on a new TV and the rest will go to practical things like bills.

Oh what fun!  

MBarnum

« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

So, this means your garage is now, uh, squeeky clean?

;)

More like, clean of sqeeks!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Up