Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M A LATIN FROM MANHATTAN  (Read 93787 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:I'M A LATIN FROM MANHATTAN
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »

Yowza!

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Page 5 [/size][/shadow][/glow]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:47:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »

With Latin one must THINK before one SPEAKS. Wouldn't make a good blog, would it?

But....but....people are no longer taught to think.  That must be why Latin is DEAD!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »

BK, oddly enough THE APARTMENT was on TCM last night...and, yeah, it's a damned near perfect film.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »

Conversely, "Caesar and Cleopatra" was on TCM yesterday evening.

YAW-W-W-W-N!

And what a cast!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2008, 10:08:56 AM »

There's never enough landscaping in murder mysteries for my tastes!
;)

Murder Under the Bushes, Murder Beneath the Apple Tree, Murder in the Magnolia--that sort of thing, Ron??
 ;)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »

DR Jose's story about the Magnolia Bakery reminds me of a fellow I knew in LA. Said fellow had a nursery on Sawtelle Blvd in WLA. We had a mutual acquaintance, Carmen, a woman with a rather patrician air. Said fellow used to say that when Carmen would shop at his nursery suddenly the other customers always what Carmen wanted. They had no interest in that item until Carmen wanted it. Now, am I surprised that Jose can enter a perfectly deserted bakery, then suddenly find himself in a crowd? Noooo. Not at all.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »

Murder Under the Bushes, Murder Beneath the Apple Tree, Murder in the Magnolia--that sort of thing, Ron??
 ;)

The sort of thing served up by "Rosemary & Thyme"....no matter under which tree/shrub a body is found.

;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2008, 10:25:42 AM »

DR Jose's story about the Magnolia Bakery reminds me of a fellow I knew in LA. Said fellow had a nursery on Sawtelle Blvd in WLA. We had a mutual acquaintance, Carmen, a woman with a rather patrician air. Said fellow used to say that when Carmen would shop at his nursery suddenly the other customers always what Carmen wanted. They had no interest in that item until Carmen wanted it. Now, am I surprised that Jose can enter a perfectly deserted bakery, then suddenly find himself in a crowd? Noooo. Not at all.

Substituting the "patrician air" with....the "appearance" of a super-satisfied customer?

;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:26:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »

As for Ask BK Day...

Are mid-week matinees a rarity out there in L.A. and/or the West Coast in general?  And/or do they start at different times? (other than 2:00pm or 3:00pm)

I only ask since I've have a couple of friends in town over the past couple of weeks from L.A. and San Diego, and they've all seemed sort of surprised that the Wednesday matinees here in NYC are at 2:00pm.  "Hmm... Well, I guess I should change my lunch reservation from 1:30."

Just wondrin'.

A very interesting question, which I don't know the answer to.  When I was growing up here and certainly all throughout the sevenites and eighties, every theater had a Wednesday matinee at two (my early theater going days it was, of course, two-thirty, as it was in NY).  But, I don't recall seeing listings for Wednesday matinees in quite some time - everyone does the Sat, Sun matinees for sure (when I did the play at the Taper, that was the ONLY theater in town of that size that played a matinee on Sunday).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »

I slept late (until ten), which I needed.  Now I have to de-groggify so I can do things, like returning Pogue's call and shipping a big package.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »

Substituting the "patrician air" with....the "appearance" of a super-satisfied customer?
 ;D

No, the other customers would want the items Carmen looked at even before she bought them. I always figured the other customers must think that Carmen had taste and, therefore, they wanted what she wanted.

singdaw

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »

shipping a big package

I always appreciate a UPS man with a big package!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »

Tomorrow is St Valentine's Day......famous for the massacre.
We'll have a special register set up so our floral shoppe can make loads of money.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »

No, the other customers would want the items Carmen looked at even before she bought them. I always figured the other customers must think that Carmen had taste and, therefore, they wanted what she wanted.

I was referencing Jose, Jeanne....!  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2008, 10:55:05 AM »

I always appreciate a UPS man with a big package!

Only UPS?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »

If you want a big package, get it UPS!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »

So...  The "roomie" received a big bouquet of flowers - red rose and white lilies - from her boyfriend/quasi-roomie.  Right now, they are sitting on the dining room table looking all pretty and fragrancing the air quite nicely.  However, I suspect that both of them will be working today, tomorrow (Valentine's Day) and Friday as usual, which probably means that neither of them will be be here to change the water in the vase.  -And even if they are here to change the water in the vase, neither of them will do it.  So... We (the royal "We") are wondering if we should just go ahead and dump the flowers once the arrangement starts to wilt and rot and get smelly.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:32 AM »

;D

Although, since Magnolia Bakery was long ensconced in NYC long before I was, I seriously doubt my presence in the store had anything to do with last night's sudden "crowd".

However, Levain may be a different story.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:09:05 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »

;D

DR Ron Pulliam - Have you picture taken/posted lately?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »

...And since I had noticed a bit of a wading pool starting to form in our backyard/patio, I headed out into the rain to unclog the drain.  Thankfully, all that required was just lifting the grate and shoving some of the dirt and NYC-soot away, and now the water level in the backyard is back to normal.  I guess I'll have to call our New Zealand gardener to check it out once the weather dries out.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »

I watched a couple of TV shows from last night, and was going to watch last week's "Lost," but I got distracted.  I was on Amazon.co.uk, looking at getting a CD for my niece (her birthday is in April) and I found that the Dawn French series "Murder Most Horrid[/b]" is being released on DVD!!!  I LOVE THIS SHOW!!  It's how I first discovered Dawn French, and then French and Saunders, then AbFab, and then a whole bunch of other British TV shows.  But this is what started it all for me. :D It's not being released until March 10, so I have to wait...but I WILL!! ;D

Unfortunately NetFlix doesn't have this series yet.  Please remind me when it comes out so I can check back with NetFlix.  We haven't seen it yet.

There is mention of Tony Dow directing.  Is it possible there are two Tony Dow's?  I don't see this show listed under the child actor Tony Dow's list of directing credits.  I do find it listed under Tony Dow ll.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »

The same things as what's under a kilt!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Have you picture taken/posted lately?

;D

Snarky Snarkerson!

singdaw

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »

"Round and round the table we go...but when the music stops, ONE of us will be out of luck!"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

Yesterday, whilst traveling around the DelMarVa peninsula in our motorcar, der Brucer and I discussed (among many many many other things) why tapas bars, in the tradition of tapas bars in Spain, cannot exist in Los Angeles.

We're blaming the Board of Health, or whatever it's called.

The idea of tapas bars in Spain is, after all, that people drop by one place, sample the tapas that that bar specializes in, then move on to the next bar (while another crowd of people comes in and replaces the first).

Can't happen in Los Angeles.

For one thing, in Spain people bar-hop by walking from bar to bar.  People don't walk in Los Angeles.  They drive.  And drinking and driving don't mix too well.  Not when what is being drunk is alchoholic, at least.  (Diet Coke is another matter.)

Second, bar owners in Los Angeles (and other cities across the nation) much prefer their customers to stay at their bar, and try to do everything they can to keep their customers from wandering off.  

Unfortunately, the one thing the bar owners cannot do is serve food.  And this is where the Board of Health comes in.

It is illegal for a bar to serve food without spending gazillions on proper refrigeration and food storage and cooking and licencing and such.  Most bar owners these days don't have the capital to do that.  So instead they just serve booze and maybe some munchies that are salty and get the customers thirsty.

Now, der B and I can remember when there were bars that did serve food, flying under the Board of Health's radar or something.  You could go to Floyds in Long Beach, or the Stud in the Silverlake area, or other places and get a burger or fries to go with that beer (or Diet Coke).  But the Board of Health has closed those operations down.  The food simply had to go.

Floyds doesn't even exist any more, and the Stud goes by the name of Faultline.  (I'd post a link, but this is a family site.   :o  No, really, Faultline's website asks if you're over eightteen and allowed to look at exciting thrilling disgusting pictures in your area, and you have to click an "OK" before you can access those wonderful enthralling unseemly pictures.)

Well, that's essentially why there are no authentic tapas bars in Los Angeles.

End of story.

singdaw

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »

The same things as what's under a kilt!

Wasn't that the premise of this film?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »

So...  The "roomie" received a big bouquet of flowers - red rose and white lilies - from her boyfriend/quasi-roomie.  Right now, they are sitting on the dining room table looking all pretty and fragrancing the air quite nicely.  However, I suspect that both of them will be working today, tomorrow (Valentine's Day) and Friday as usual, which probably means that neither of them will be be here to change the water in the vase.  -And even if they are here to change the water in the vase, neither of them will do it.  So... We (the royal "We") are wondering if we should just go ahead and dump the flowers once the arrangement starts to wilt and rot and get smelly.  Hmm...
Me, I'd leave 'em there and add a card reading "A Portent of the Future".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:10 AM »

Wasn't that the premise of this film?

Were there buttcheeks involved?

singdaw

« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

Wasn't that the title of the long-lost Kurt Weill epic...  The Stud in the Silverlake?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »

Hmm... That's interesting, DR SWW - I know there are some localities where bars are required to serve some sort of food in order to get fully licensed as a bar.  The local government wants people to have some sort of sustenance available to the imbibers to help them "control" their bodies' alcohol absorption.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up