Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COCK CROWETH  (Read 41221 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE COCK CROWETH
« Reply #330 on: February 25, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »

I think the Wagner opera would be better if Isolde were a coloratura soprano rather than a hog caller.

That's what it is...it's the hog collar that reminds JMK of DR singdaw!

;)

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Page 12 [/size][/shadow]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:32:30 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #331 on: February 25, 2008, 01:31:28 PM »

Quote from: Cillaliz on Yesterday at 10:10:57pm
I did like In the Valley of Elah. I am surprised I hadn't heard anything about that film other than Tommy Lee Jones was nominated for it

Quote from BK:  Do you read the notes?  I talked at length about this film last week.  And I most certainly did not love No Country For Old Men and I really didn't love There Will Be Blood.

Most of the time I do read the notes. Sometimes, when I get behind I skip them and I don't always read the details about the movies so the movies will be a surprise to me when I decide to watch them.  That's the same reason I don't normally read reviews.

I guess what I was really referring to is that I hadn't seen previews etc about the movie.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:31:50 PM by Cillaliz »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #332 on: February 25, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

How RUDE....I just got DUMPED out of HHW.com with a "too many connections" notice.  And there's only five of us online!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #333 on: February 25, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »

Make that 7 of us.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #334 on: February 25, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »

And now we are 8!

Cillaliz

« Reply #335 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »

JMK - I remember the fortune teller show. That was creepy Don't remember if it was twilight zone or not

Cillaliz

« Reply #336 on: February 25, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »

The first Hitchcock I remember is The Birds.  It scared me for....as long as I can remember. Especially when I was in my young teens and the birds would dive at me as I rode by bike around the lake

Cillaliz

« Reply #337 on: February 25, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »

When I was little, we watched "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" religiously on TV, so I was well aware of Mr. Hitchcock and his reputation. "Psycho" and "The Birds" were getting a lot of press at the time, but I did not see them then.  I probably saw a rerun of "39 Steps" or "Lifeboat" first.  One of the first movies I really paid attention to of his was "Rear Window" which still holds up remarkably well.  The first one of his I really waited to see was "Vertigo" and was worth the wait.  "Man Who Knew Too Much" was probably one of the earlier ones I saw and still classic Hitchcock.  I prefer this period of Hitchcock to "Rope" and "Strangers on a Train."  Hitchcock was a master showman and really knew how to get publicity-- so even the later things (like "Psycho" and "The Birds" which, to me, are weaker movies) have so much hype about them even before you've even seen them.
"North by Northwest" is another of his best-- smooth, suave, cool and terrifying.  Although I like "To Catch a Thief" for all its style and brilliance, I actually think "North by Northwest "is a better movie, and Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint play so well off of each other.

We used to watch that religiously as well.  I grew up when there was no concern about shows scaring the kids.  We lived at the end of a long driveway in the woods. I had nightmares about In Cold Blood for years (not TOD, but creeped me out nonetheless)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #338 on: February 25, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »

The first Hitchcock I remember is The Birds.  It scared me for....as long as I can remember. Especially when I was in my young teens and the birds would dive at me as I rode by bike around the lake

You've just reminded me of something eerie that I experienced in Port Deposit, Maryland, in the fall of 1970.

I was attending Radioman school at Naval Training Center Bainbridge, Md., a WWII-era Navy installation that was, at the time, where females went to Navy boot camp, plus the site of a few training schools.

The barracks were old, roach-infested and any student who could find a room off base was paid an allowance to do so.  I rented a room for $10 a week from a lady with a nice little house on a hill.  Her yard was huge.

One Saturday afternoon -- brisk and clear, as I recall -- I went out to my car (I was probably going to drive to Baltimore to see a movie) and suddenly FROZE where I stood.   THOUSANDS of birds had descended upon the surrounding grounds.  There was a lot of chirping going on as they pecked at the ground.  I had never been so close to so many birds in my life.  I probably held my breath a little longer than I should.  A shadow swooped over me and I looked up.  I saw what looked like thousands more birds in a migratory flight.

I calmed myself, got in my car, and went on my way.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:51:49 PM by Ron Pulliam »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #339 on: February 25, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »

My sister got scared watching "Lost in Space," so there were no scary shows at our house!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #340 on: February 25, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »

Susie Orman, financial planning guru, has come out.

That's really old news.  I thought she came out a year or two ago

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #341 on: February 25, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »

Have some writing to do but I'll be back on-line in about thirty minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #342 on: February 25, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »

My sister got scared watching "Lost in Space," so there were no scary shows at our house!

Oh everything scared me, but I must have enjoyed it a little.   The monkeys in The Wizard of Oz scared me more than any Hitchcock. Although, for years i checked thre shower whenever I was in a motel room and pushed a chair under the doorknob when I took a shower

Cillaliz

« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »

This isn't the one I'm thinking of, but here's a fortune teller/twilight zone

1950's Swami Fortune Teller. Who could forget the Twilight Zone episode 'Nick Of Time' where a young actor, William Shatner, has his life controlled by a fortune telling diner napkin holder. This is a original Swami which the episode was based on. Fortune telling napkin holders were ubiquitous at diner's in the 1950's and have all but disappeared now. One insert's a penny and asks the Swami a yes or no question. The lever on the right is pressed down and a fortune slip is dispensed from the front. The slip answers the question as well as providing a more detailed fortune and even some 'lucky numbers' for the patron to use.

singdaw

« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

Excuse me; I have to go brush my long golden tresses 100 times...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »

And now we are 8!

And I am James James Morrison Morrison Weatherbee George Dupree.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #346 on: February 25, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »

She must have been awfully young to have somethng as silly as "Lost in Space" scare her.  I used to watch "Alfred Hithcock" and "Twilight Zone" every week night during the summer.  Or so it seemed.  Certainly more than once a week.
"The Monkey's Paw' was one of the scariest.....
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #347 on: February 25, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

And I am James James Morrison Morrison Weatherbee George Dupree.

And here I thought you were Darryl, Larry and Larry!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #348 on: February 25, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »

Well, I'm off to meet some friends for dinner, and then we're heading to Splash for Musical Mondays!  -I haven't gone in months, and probably will not stay long tonight, but I'm still looking forward to my most likely brief appearance.  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2008, 02:39:41 PM »

Just popped back in to read the most recent posts. I'm heading down now to start up the home theater again, this time to see 2007's Best Picture (at least according to Oscar). We'll see.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #350 on: February 25, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »

And here I thought you were Darryl, Larry and Larry!

So you don't know the Milne "Now We Are Eight?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #351 on: February 25, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »

Well, I'm off to meet some friends for dinner, and then we're heading to Splash for Musical Mondays!  -I haven't gone in months, and probably will not stay long tonight, but I'm still looking forward to my most likely brief appearance.  ;)

Laters...

If Mr Wenslawski is tending bar, tell him hello for me!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:43:24 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #352 on: February 25, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »

Just popped back in to read the most recent posts. I'm heading down now to start up the home theater again, this time to see 2007's Best Picture (at least according to Oscar). We'll see.

WBBL.

I liked it.

MBarnum

« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »

Was perusing a Bollywood dvd sight and found this message where you contact them with suggestions:

"Please include your Email ID with Suggestion so that we could touch you"

singdaw

« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »

singdaw

« Reply #355 on: February 25, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »

my most likely brief appearance.

There he goes with the briefs again.

I'm starting to sense a theme...

;)

singdaw

« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2008, 03:05:55 PM »

"Please include your Email ID with Suggestion so that we could touch you"

So how many emails have you sent them already?

;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #357 on: February 25, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

TOTD:
Spellbound and Vertigo are my favourite Hitchcock movies.

I think Vertigo would have been the first Hitchcock movie I saw. We did watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  I did not really care for "The Birds" or "Marnie".  "Frenzie" was a let down.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »

I received another copy of "Sweeney Todd" DVD in the mail today.  These discs get around!  The quality is excellent!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »

So you don't know the Milne "Now We Are Eight?"

I do now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:17:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up