Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COCK CROWETH  (Read 41063 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE COCK CROWETH
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »

Will this do it?

Cillaliz

« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2008, 07:23:53 PM »

Yup

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2008, 07:23:55 PM »

If this doesn't do it, I can't stick around to find out.

'night

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #423 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:27 PM »

LOL-Guess I was too slow.

MBarnum

« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »

I'm in the mood to watch THE BIRDS or REBECCA. ;D

Of course you could rent the Bollywood version of REBECCA, titled KOHRAA.

Cillaliz

« Reply #425 on: February 25, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »

That's ok, we love ya anyway :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2008, 07:28:05 PM »

Re: Raisin in the Sun.

They're on the scene where the white guy is trying to buy out the family, to keep them out of the neighborhood.

I remember back in high school, when during our junior and senior years we were taught English as a series of electives, one quarter per subject.  One of the electives was Black Literature, and one of the pieces taught in that elective was Raisin in the Sun.  We actually staged some of the scenes in the class.  We staged the scene where the white guy tried to buy out the family.

Guess who was cast to read the white guy part.

This was in Burbank, Ca.  Where none of my classmates was black.  Where there weren't any black people, that I knew of, in the entire city.

And the part scared the willies out of me.  

Because I understood it.

I understood what the representative from the white community was trying to say.  I understood where he was coming from.

And I loathed what he was saying.

It went totally against what I had learned from my parents, that it was totally necessary to look at every person I met as an individual, no matter how easy it might be to look at the surface, because that was the only way to defeat prejudice.

This, taught by parents who had no one who was prejudiced against them.

I've never really gotten over that disparity, to understand and loathe at the same time.

The scene seems, to me, to have played shorter is this film version than it did when I played/read the part back when.

Good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #427 on: February 25, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

Why am I suddenly thinking of Tristan und Isolde?   ;D

The movie from a acouple of years ago or the movie called Lovespell about Tristan Isolde with Burt lancaster
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #428 on: February 25, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

I see this is one of those days at HHW where I'm going to have to return frequently to defend my honor.

Oh, wait a minute...

Never mind.

??
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #429 on: February 25, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »

Bruce, maybe Miss Karen hasn’t read your nice email yet.  I agree with Singdaw that she is likely busy with her thesis for school.

Not everyone checks their email everyday.  :o

and when you are working on a thesis... you live, eat and breath it

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #430 on: February 25, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »

Casting and audition vibes

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #431 on: February 25, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »

First Hitchcock movie for me was THE BIRDS. I saw it listed in the newpaper's tv listings when I was a kid and thought it was a musical. My mom would not allow me to watch it...so of course that made me really want to see it...and I did see it...and it was not a musical!  :o

I remember when THE BIRDS was playing  the first-run engagement at the Music Box Theatre in downtown Tacoma.  The movie alone was scary enough, but one night the audience really got scared.  As they were watching THE BIRDS, the theater caught fire.  Everyone got out safely, but the theater burned to the ground.  It was always my favorite of the downtown theaters.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #432 on: February 25, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »

What did people think of Nicole's necklace.  I thought it looked like someone had puked diamonds all over her.  ;)

I agree with you, Jeff, it was ugly.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #433 on: February 25, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »

I remember when THE BIRDS was playing  the first-run engagement at the Music Box Theatre in downtown Tacoma.  The movie alone was scary enough, but one night the audience really got scared.  As they were watching THE BIRDS, the theater caught fire.  Everyone got out safely, but the theater burned to the ground.  It was always my favorite of the downtown theaters.

Did someone yell fire?  ;)   Seriously, they say never yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, but what are you supposed to yell when the place is burning?

Cillaliz

« Reply #434 on: February 25, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »

One of my favorite local weathermen (as in meterology not the weather underground) died of a heart attack today. Pretty sad. His wife has mental health issues and he has 2 kids.  He was only 55.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #435 on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

I enjoyed the link with the gowns. I think most are too much, but a couple looked nice.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #436 on: February 25, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »

But nothing looks as grand as a man in a real tux.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #437 on: February 25, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »

Of course, it goes without saying that "working" on Broadway is a totally different matter.  Although, in some cases, I guess that could be considered "performing" too.

Well, there is your performing in Cental Park!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »

TOPAZ is a bore, but I think UNDER CAPRICORN beats it by a mile. Hitch was still favoring long, long takes like he used in ROPE, and the story is so uncompelling, it just drudgery to sit through. TOPAZ does have a few moments of real cinematic inspiration (like when the woman is shot by John Vernon and her purple skirt billows around her like blood as she falls; absolutely fabulous shot).

And I have to admit that I've never been partial to REBECCA either. Oh, I know: Best Picture and all that, but it's the other 40s film of his that I don't much care for (along with UNDER CAPRICORN).

And I've said here many times that I really love several of his that most people can't stand: THE PARADINE CASE and STAGE FRIGHT being two and TORN CURTAIN being another.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19:19 PM »

Susie Orman, financial planning guru, has come out.

Out of where?
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2008, 08:20:08 PM »

I forgot to mention that I did speed through AS THE WORLD TURNS today, and Luke and Noah were both on with what appears to be the glimmer of a love triangle developing. I hope and pray they don't go such a predictable route. We'll see.

If they were going to have a love triangle, why not have another GUY? That would be novel for daytime: a GAY love triangle.

Matt H.

« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:16 PM »

Tonight I watched the Coen's NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I found it very compelling, very gripping, superbly directed, and not having read the book it's adapted from, I had no idea where it was going or what would happen. I found the surprises outstanding.

It reminded me quite a bit of BLOOD SIMPLE except they weren't using a lot of fancy camera tricks here now that they've established their credentials in the business.

Bardem was riveting, but I thought everyone handled his role superbly. Funny how certain performances get pegged as award worthy when others in the same film are doing just as good a job but don't get the recognition.

I thought the same thing about Amy Madigan in GONE BABY GONE. Amy Ryan is wonderful, but I found Amy Madigan no less compelling. Another example that springs to mind: Michael Caine in THE CIDER HOUSE RULES. I found his performance much less effective than Delroy Lindo's in the film, but Caine got all the praise.

Matt H.

« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »

There were only three bonus features on the NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN Blu-ray disc, barely 45 minutes of bonuses, so I watched them all. OK but nothing spectacular. Everything was pretty perfunctory.

The Blu-ray disc quality was as usual most impressive. Picture stronger than sound on this one.

Matt H.

« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2008, 08:27:54 PM »

THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES had a pretty talky episode but it was fine, moved the saga forward just a bit.

Bruce Davison was the guest star.

Matt H.

« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2008, 08:29:46 PM »

And I loved MEDIUM as usual.

spoiler

The opening had me in stitches. I did guess the identity of the real killer. There was something so hard about that actress. And I wonder since she seemingly got away with it (for now), if we'll see more about this in a later episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #445 on: February 25, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »

Tomorrow I'll watch THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE while I cook and eat lunch.

Cillaliz

« Reply #446 on: February 25, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

Tonight I watched the Coen's NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I found it very compelling, very gripping, superbly directed, and not having read the book it's adapted from, I had no idea where it was going or what would happen. I found the surprises outstanding.

Interesting... I wasn't surprised at anything. Well except the last couple lines of the movie.  Maybe I've just known too many drug runners and psychopaths...occupational hazard.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #447 on: February 25, 2008, 08:44:55 PM »

If they were going to have a love triangle, why not have another GUY? That would be novel for daytime: a GAY love triangle.

That would be interesting...

Matt H.

« Reply #448 on: February 25, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »

Interesting... I wasn't surprised at anything. Well except the last couple lines of the movie.  Maybe I've just known too many drug runners and psychopaths...occupational hazard.

I'm sure part of it would indeed involve one's familiarity with the personalities involved. I thought the capturing of the beginnings of the drug war mentality most involving. I'm sorry you didn't.

Matt H.

« Reply #449 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »

Now I've got to write for awhile and then head downstairs to bed.

Good night.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up