Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Bb, F#, A, Eb - THE NOTES  (Read 34035 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:Bb, F#, A, Eb - THE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

DR SWoody, those of us who have fostered know when we have a gem that will get adopted quickly! Thank you for rescuing JJ -- his life took a wonderful turn when he found you and derBrucer!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:10 AM »

Happy Rest of Days to Dear Cat JJ!!!

In the last month TWO CATS from HHW have been rescued....Smudge and JJ....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »

What do those chimes in department stores mean?  I imagine it's some kind of signal to do something....but are they uniform to all stores....I miss them.

Ben

« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2008, 10:13:17 AM »

Before Andrew Lloyd Weber there was

Boulevard

How coinkedental. Anthony just went to the cupboard on Sunday and took it out to transfer to CD.

Here is the Web site for the company releasing it.

Stage Door Records
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:14:06 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »

Great gigs coming up, DR PENNYO......I thought the movie STAGE BEAUTY left something to be desired, perhaps the stage play is better....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:48 AM »

Quote from: JoseSPiano on Today at 09:15:36am
So... Since things tend to go in cycles...

Shall we start a pool on when and what kind of animal will find DRs DerBrucer and SWW next?  Another cat? dog? guinea pig?

<wave> DC JJ.

I'm holding out for an orphan mountain lion cub.
Nice, but there are no mountains in Delaware.  Sorry.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »

Yes DR derBRUCER - that congressional contest you mentioned is an interesting one.  It is for the seat of the late Congresswoman  Julia Carson, who had the WORSE attendance record in Congress.  Andre is her grandson.

It has been particularly difficult on the Carson family since she passed away,  because most of were on the government payroll.

I know Elrod, and he would be a great improvement, although he is a bit crazy....he would fit right in Washington, I think.  This is not my district, it is Marion County/Indianapolis.  The outcome will probably go to Carson, but it would be nice if it didn't.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »

William F. Buckley is no longer among the living.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2008, 10:50:15 AM »

;D

Reminds me of that classic line delivered by Maggie Smith in Evil Under the Sun...   :)

....could always throw her legs up higher than anyone....AND wider!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »

He fancied himself an amateur musician.  On late night local cable television in Connecticut we used to view him occasionally, massacring baroque harpsichord concerti.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:04 AM »

Thanks, DR JoseSPiano.  Yep, doing the Mucinex thing, and - thanks to your post of several days ago - also the gargling with salt water thing, which does seem to help.

My mother has another sore throat remedy...three tbsp. of apple cider vinegar in a small glass of water.  Gargle a mouthful, swallow a mouthful, gargle a mouthful, swallow a mouthful (until the glass is empty).

Repeat hourly until sore throat is history.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »

And whatever you do, don't BREATHE on anything.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:29 AM »

He fancied himself an amateur musician.  On late night local cable television in Connecticut we used to view him occasionally, massacring baroque harpsichord concerti.

I am intrigued.  8)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »

I'm holding out for an orphan mountain lion cub.Nice, but there are no mountains in Delaware.  Sorry.

Perhaps the cub of a stray down from Canada....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »

Well, on to work - got a story to do about Michael York and the Long Beach Opera - they're doing Tennyson's ENOCH ARDEN and a strange piece about Frankenstein, with puppets, yet, week after next. I get to interview both Mr. York, AND the puppet people! Whatta life!!
Well, here's a hey-ho!

LBO will be performing Enoch Arden at the Center Theater at the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center, a theater that der Brucer and I know very well as it is the home of the International City Theater of Long Beach.  Der Brucer was a member of the ICT's board of directors for a while, and I was (happily) dragged along to all sorts of parties and premiers and such.

If you get a chance, make a contact with ICT - I'm pretty sure that we left under fairly good auspices.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2008, 10:57:49 AM »

TV Reminders:

PROJECT RUNWAY (part 1 of 2-part season ending episode)

RENO 911!

LAW & ORDER

The top ten women sing on IDOL.

BIG BROTHER 9

singdaw

« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »

Well THAT takes the fun out of it!   ;)

Thanks for the remedy; I shall try it out this evening.  :)

singdaw

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »

"But whatever you do, for gosh sakes, keep breathing!"
                                                                            -Dolly Gallagher Levi

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »

In his case, we can more appropriately say that his voice has fallen silent.

Certainly a distict voice, in more ways than one.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19:28 AM »

Whirlwind phone calls: Jason Graae, whom I miss seeing in Manhattan, and then Patrick Cassidy who will be playing Harold Hill in Hartford later this spring, with his ma playing Mrs Paroo and Jason Graae as Marcellus.  I gotta see it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »

Whirlwind phone calls: Jason Graae, whom I miss seeing in Manhattan, and then Patrick Cassidy who will be playing Harold Hill in Hartford later this spring, with his ma playing Mrs Paroo and Jason Graae as Marcellus.  I gotta see it.

Oh my!   What a great cast!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »

Wasn't it Patrick who kicked Robert Preston when he and Shirley were making the film version of THE MUSIC MAN - Robert didn't know Shirley was expecting a baby until they were filming the Footbridge scene....

I think Shirley told the story on THE MUSIC MAN DVD extras (edited by DR EDISAURUS)....and Patrick told the story as related to him by Preston years later....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2008, 11:26:12 AM »

Let me see if I've got this right:

Harold Hill is going to be wooing Marion Hill, whose mother is Harold's mother, as well.

The subtext of this production is gonna wow them!

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2008, 11:29:58 AM »

Wasn't it Patrick who kicked Robert Preston when he and Shirley were making the film version of THE MUSIC MAN - Robert didn't know Shirley was expecting a baby until they were filming the Footbridge scene...
What this adds to the subtext boggles, simply boggles!  Aristophanes has nothing on this show, I'll tell ya!

;D ;D ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2008, 11:37:02 AM »

I'd do almost anything for a DVD of "Dress Gray"!!!!

singdaw

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »

I'd do almost anything for a DVD of "Dress Gray"!!!!

Almost anything?    ;)

I can help you with "Dress Gay"...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:35 AM »

RE: Trendy small plates

It wasn't that long ago that we were discussing the trendiness (or not) of tapas.  Well, in an adjunct to that discussion, may I refer everyone to today's article by Tom Seitsema, something he wrote as part of his duties as food critic for the Washington Post.

...For 90 minutes, I'm held hostage as the servers drop off a tiny cone filled with lamb tartare and topped with shaved black truffle; grilled octopus set on a bed of lentils with a fan of avocado; a slender bar of foie gras accessorized with cranberry "tapenade," a button of brioche and designer sea salt; and a trio of house-made crackers. The food is mostly luscious, but the intricacies get lost in the blur. Across the table, my normally enthusiastic dining companion looks shellshocked. It's not waterboarding, but let's be frank: Torture comes in many guises.

"When is it over?" he wonders aloud. I remind him it could be worse: We could have ordered the $104 menu, which promises almost 20 tastes, rather than the $84 banquet, which serves up a mere dozen or so.

By 7:50 p.m., we're both full -- and our appetizers, among the few things we actually get to choose tonight, have yet to arrive. "I should have brought a sleeping bag," my friend says. Before the evening is over, about three hours after it began, in addition to all those pre-appetizers, we will face a main course, a pre-dessert of Greek yogurt, an actual dessert (apple-date tart with blue cheese gelato) and a post-dessert of tiny chickpea cookies and olive oil-laced caramels. With the check comes a grapefruit-flavored lollipop, which I stick in my coat pocket. Who knows? Someday I might get hungry again.

The above defines trendiness.

However, later in the article he notes that this is not something entirely new:

...As with so many culinary fashions, France is where the taste-of-this, taste-of-that notion got its start. The concept -- and people who have praised and panned the ritual -- stretches back to the dawn of nouvelle cuisine there in the 1970s, when chefs began offering customers a sampling of their vast repertoires via numerous petite versions of the appetizers and main courses. (Around the same time in this country, Chez Panisse in Berkeley, Calif., helped popularize the concept with a multi-course set menu that changed daily.) Even at the beginning of the trend, critics found flaws with the format.

"I have never had a menu degustation when I have not wished a few dishes had been dropped in favor of others," Mimi Sheraton wrote in a 1981 story in the New York Times. The food critic also groused about portions "so small, it is hard to get a really solid impression of the dish."

1981???  Over a quarter-century ago???

Therefor, I propose a couple of definitions:

TREND: Something that is growing in popularity, such as tasting menus, tapas, or the rediscovery of certain sauces (i.e.: pesto or aioli).

TRENDY: What happens when a trend is latched onto by a whole group of people because they see that it is growing in popularity, and they want part of that popularity, too.

The catch is, some of the people who latch onto the trend may be doing it because they are interested in the trend itself, and not the popularity.  So, are they being trendy (which means following the popularity), or following the trend?  Is it a case of good timing, or unfortunate timing?  There's a fine line of distinction, I believe.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:54:07 AM by S. Woody White »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »

DR singdaw and George and others still dealing with nasal issues - I remember when I was working on Eleanor down at Ford's Theatre, practically the whole company - except for me! - came down with some sort of pesky "cold".  And it just would not go away.  Thankfully, it never really impeded anyone's performance or performances, but it really was annoying.  The company manager at Ford's went ahead and made arrangements to have everyone checked out by the same doctor just to see if everyone had the same thing.  Well, some people did have the "common cold", others, it turned out, were having allergy issues.  However, a majority of people had what the doctored labeled as "IPND": Insidious Post-Nasal Drip.  -And I don't think I've ever seen a medical condition labeled "insidious" before or since then.  In any case...  A daily Vitamin-C booster, and a low-dose of Mucinex seemed to help keep things in check and clear it up eventually.

I've been taking extra vitamin A, along with extra vitamin C, for the thing that's been hanging around me--and it has helped.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »

I shall now be on my way to a lunch.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »

I am working on tax stuff today. Ugh!

Bye!