Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Bb, F#, A, Eb - THE NOTES  (Read 34116 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:Bb, F#, A, Eb - THE NOTES
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »

Sad about Dutton’s in Brentwood.

Jane

« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:26 PM »

Too many sick folks here! :(

HEALTH VIBES TO ALL WHO NEED THEM!

SPECIAL SUPER VIBES TO DR’S MICHAEL S, KERRY & TCB!

VIBES THOSE COUGHS & OTHER THINGS OUT THERE DON’T TURN INTO SOMETHING MORE MAJOR!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »

Where did DR sindawg get off to?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2008, 01:43:48 PM »

On Saturday I posted:

"DR Sandra and I saw "Twelve Angry Men" on tour, which reminds me why I don't want to be on a jury."

Guess what came in the mail today.
I can't ever think of you as being angry like that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »

Thanks for all the feel-better vibes.  I did come home after my lunchtime speaking engagement and have been dozing on the couch for the last several hours.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »

What is "monkfish"?  A trend or trendy?

Digging into my copy of the Food Lover's Companion, by Sharon Tyler Herbst (which was published in 1990 and has over 3000 entries, compared to the 4th edition which was published just last year and has over 6000 entries, which is why I've got the new edition on my Jessica's Biscuit wishlist)...

Monkfish is a subset of angler fish.  Anglers bury themselves in the sea floor sediment and twich long filaments that grow from their heads.  Since the filament resembles a worm, other fish and shellfish are attracted to the filament and quickly find themselves "engulfed" by the angler's huge maw.

Anglers are very ugly, but are low in fat (who wouldn't be, just slobbing around on the sea floor like that) and firm-textured.  Their flavor is mild and sweet, comparable to that of lobster.  Unfortunately, the only part of anglers that is considered edible is the tail, but that can be prepared by almost any method suitable for fish.

So, are anglers (and therefor monkfish) trendy?  No.  They don't go out much, and when they do show up at a bar or club the beautiful people quickly shy away.  Their only companions tend to be accountants - otherwise, they just sit around like so much fish.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Monkfish, as an ingredient, shows up as part of various traditional bistro dishes, such as bouillabaisse or bourride, neither of which the trendy people can pronounce.  I would put bistro cooking as trend, not trendy - it is a range of cooking that has been around a long time and is being rediscovered by serious cooks.  If you find someone offering monkfish as something new and trendy, like they've just discovered it, take them aside and give them a good bitchslapping.  They'll have deserved it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »

CHARLIE CHAN IN CITY IN DARKNESS

Why did my eyes read CHARLIE BROWN IN THE CITY OF DARKNESS?    :P

singdaw

« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »

Where did DR sindawg get off to?

I wasn't getting off!  I was just working.    :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »

Wife Swap, Super Nanny, Pwoject Wunway.

Wednesday is one of my favorite nights of network & basic cable television!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

Re the John Ritter wrongful death malpractice case:  I'm not familiar with California law, but it seems dangerous to me that the physician could be on the hook (if found guilty) based on what John Ritter's earnings would have been had he lived.  I wouldn't blame physicians for refusing to treat high-earning celebrities, or insurance cos. for refusing to insure physicians who treat them, if their liability is based not on their alleged misdeed but on the potential future earnings of the patient.  

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

Anglers are very ugly

Brad Pitt wasn't too bad-looking in A River Runs Through It.    ;)

singdaw

« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

Re the John Ritter wrongful death malpractice case:  I'm not familiar with California law, but it seems dangerous to me that the physician could be on the hook (if found guilty) based on what John Ritter's earnings would have been had he lived.  I wouldn't blame physicians for refusing to treat high-earning celebrities, or insurance cos. for refusing to insure physicians who treat them, if their liability is based not on their alleged misdeed but on the potential future earnings of the patient.  

It certainly does seem like a very "slippery slope" kind of precedent.

singdaw

« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »

Time to walk the dog.

NOT a euphemism.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »

I'm heading back down in a bit after I write for awhile. I'll finish up the SOUTH PARK disc, and then check out today's AS THE WORLD TURNS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »

Spoo!

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

Back from a good and informative luncheon.

Jane

« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »

Thanks for all the feel-better vibes.  I did come home after my lunchtime speaking engagement and have been dozing on the couch for the last several hours.

Good, cuz you really shouldn't have gone at all.

Feel better soon.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

I thought that was how all malpractice awards are decided.

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »

Good, cuz you really shouldn't have gone at all.

LOL!  You sound just like my husband.

Feel better soon.

Thanks - Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset tea is helping a lot.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »

The internet is so helpful in the genealogical research my sister and I are doing.

An interesting story:

In 1756, seven young Quakers were taken from their meeting house in Cedar Creek, VA.  The leader of the militia was going to conscript them into the military.  All seven (one of the seven was my great (5) Grandfather William Stanley, two of his brothers were also in the group) were taken by force.
They protested saying they would never fight, but were taken to Fort Louden near Winchester, VA.  When they refused to fight or even to answer to roll call, the colonel in charge said if they would not fight they would be put to work building the fort.  They refused to do that as well.

The colonel ordered them whipped.  The seven removed their shirts and stood awaiting their punishment.  The sergeant ordered to carry out the punishment was unable to do so.

The Colonel relented and finally sent them to live with Quaker families in the nearby town of Winchester but would not send them home even though their relatives had petitioned Governor Dinwiddie to do so.  At the end of the war they were "discharged" and sent home.

The Colonel was George Washington.

JRand, what a fascinating story!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »

On Saturday I posted:

"DR Sandra and I saw "Twelve Angry Men" on tour, which reminds me why I don't want to be on a jury."

Guess what came in the mail today.

Oy, vey...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »

Hi Penny-Congrats on the article and the gig.  Michael York. 8)

DR elmore-good news regarding the boxes, better news regarding future work!  GOOD LUCK.

Thanks! hey, I've seen that picture!!
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »

DR PennyO - I've enjoyed reading your contributions to FineArtsLA.  What a cool site and ver-r-ry cool job!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »

Just had to share the good news with y'all -

I just got an email informing me that I have the winning ticket to a larger manhood in just a few short weeks.

My friend Margo gets those all the time! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »

I'm back from the doctor and I've been given antibiotics and a steroid inhaler.  Hopefully THESE will take care of what I have. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »

I am back, but it has been a rocky few days for me. I had a heart scare (I am fine now) and was in the hospital for tests. I hope I never have to got through that again. But a life style change is needed and I know it is going to be heard to adjust.

~~~Health Vibes for DR Michael Shayne!!~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »

Time to walk the dog.

NOT a euphemism.

Thank goodness for that!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »

DR PennyO - I've enjoyed reading your contributions to FineArtsLA.  What a cool site and ver-r-ry cool job!

Oh, thanks, Gins!
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »

Grrrrrrrr.....Too Many Connections!

I hope you're using "protection"....!

Jane

« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

I'm back from the doctor and I've been given antibiotics and a steroid inhaler.  Hopefully THESE will take care of what I have. :)

It will be about time!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up