Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HEPCAT  (Read 24382 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE HEPCAT
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2008, 07:25:55 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BIG Happy Birthday wishes to Anna/Panni!!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2008, 07:28:22 AM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

MANAGER AT MALE STRIP CLUB SAYS HE EMPLOYED 'AMERICAN IDOL' CONTESTANT DAVID HERNANDEZ
Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"American Idol" contestant David Hernandez once entertained audiences by removing his clothes instead of singing tunes, a manager at a male strip club in Phoenix told The Associated Press.

The 24-year-old finalist from Glendale, Ariz., once worked as a stripper at Dick's Cabaret, appearing fully nude and performing lap dances for the club's "mostly male" clientele, club manager Gordy Bryan said Monday.

Please God - film at 11!

der Brucer

I know someone from Arizona with a camera and the only wild-life shots I get are bugs and birds :(

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »

Page Four OZ Dance!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

Thanks for vibage.  The tv guy comes today to do his "diagnosis."  Oy.  I have the sorest throat and pain up in my left ear.  Doctor tomorrow if I'm not better.   :P

TOD:

First 45:  I got 2 the same day--"Scarborough Fair" b/w "Canto Triste" by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 and "Hey Jude" b/w "Revolution" by The Beatles.  My mother forbade me to play "Revolution" when she was in the house.  :)
First Soundtrack:  My Uncle Charlie came out from NYC for one of my sister's birthdays and I rememeber they bought her the OST of "West Side Story," and I believe they got me a Disney Records thing of "101 Dalmations" which probably wasn't a sountrack, but I'll count that.
First LP:  I think it *might* have been Blood, Sweat & Tears, if not one of the first 3 B66 LPs.
First OCR:  The one I remember getting (through the Capitol Record club, LOL) was "Applause."  But I probably had others before that.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2008, 07:31:34 AM »

Speaking of Sergio (and when am I not?), one little ray of sunshine yesterday--his new CD arrived from Japan (and boy were its arms tired).  It's a different release than what will be coming out in the US in a couple of months.  It has some killer stuff on it--my favorite so far is Natalie Cole's luscious "Somewhere in the Hills," the Jobim tune also known as "Favela" and "O Morro."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »

Today I'll be getting to the first of three Criterion releases for the month - MAFIOSO. I know nothing whatsoever about the movie, so it'll be fun exploring something totally new and different.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2008, 07:35:26 AM »

And speaking of missing DRs, I hope that DR Edisaurus's absence is due to a great onset of work.

My guess would be that; she does get very busy at times. But it's just a guess.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2008, 07:36:56 AM »

First cast recording was MY FAIR LADY bought after I saw the original show in New York. Of course, I was only 8, so my uncle bought the OCR for me.

The first cast recording I bought with my own money was CAMELOT purchased after seeing the national tour with Biff McGuire and Jeannie Carson.

First soundtrack is easy - Judy Garland's A STAR IS BORN in the pink box. I had seen THE WIZARD OF OZ on television (saw it at the movies, too, on a double bill with another film; I want to say it was Martin & Lewis in PARDNERS, but it would seem odd to pair an MGM movie reissue with a Paramount first-run.), and I got my mom to take me to a record store to see what Judy Garland records they had. A STAR IS BORN was all they had, and little did I know what a collector's item that original box release would eventually be.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »

I know someone from Arizona with a camera and the only wild-life shots I get are bugs and birds :(

;D

Maybe you outta get out a bit more?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 07:38:32 AM by Jeanne »

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »

TV Reminders:

8 men left on IDOL's last semifinal round for the gentlemen.

NEW AMSTERDAM, a new procedural series with an immortal detective as the lead. Let's see how it compares to MOONLIGHT.

ONE TREE HILL, CARPOOLERS, JERICHO all have new episodes tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:03 AM »

I forgot to mention last night that I did scan through yesterday's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Luke and Noah were on, and now I think I've figured out where they're heading with Irina.

Her visa is about to run out, and she's next going to try to get a student visa to stay in the country. I'm guessing that's going to fall through, and the only way to keep her in the country is for either Luke or Noah to marry her. Since Noah "feels" like her brother, gallant Luke is the likely candidate. It'll start off platonically, and then she'll decide she wants a real husband and thus begins the seduction.

If indeed the show goes in this direction, it has lost me as a viewer.

singdaw

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2008, 07:46:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROBITY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  YOURS SINCERELY

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »

DR JMK, hope things work out with TV and personal health. How ironic to have both systems ailing at the same time!

;)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »

Marvelously marvelous vibes to DR JMK, also.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2008, 08:01:05 AM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8] Happy Birthday, DR Anna![/size][/font][/glow][/shadow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2008, 08:11:10 AM »

I forgot to mention last night that I did scan through yesterday's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Luke and Noah were on, and now I think I've figured out where they're heading with Irina.

Her visa is about to run out, and she's next going to try to get a student visa to stay in the country. I'm guessing that's going to fall through, and the only way to keep her in the country is for either Luke or Noah to marry her. Since Noah "feels" like her brother, gallant Luke is the likely candidate. It'll start off platonically, and then she'll decide she wants a real husband and thus begins the seduction.

If indeed the show goes in this direction, it has lost me as a viewer.

One of the gay nephews of the Drama Book Shop married a Polish or Czech girl around 1980 to get her out of the country, and I know a British lesbian who married a gay man for a green card in the 1980s.  we worked at the Drama Book Shop.  Hmm, a connection?

Well, after the NYCGMC librarian and I scrambled around last night and this morning to get an orchestration of "New York New York" to Texas for this Kander & Ebb "benefit," the MD - who's been curiously quiet - kiboshed it today because the key was wrong for the six starring altos!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2008, 08:11:53 AM »

TOD:

First OCR Cast Album I bought:  "Hello, Dolly!"  It was the early 1960s and I'd only just begun collecting soundtracks when this Broadway musical lit up the skies and became a smash.  I just HAD to have it!

First Female 45 or LP I bought:  Oddly enough, I believe the first female LP I bought was "Lainie Kazan".  I know "My Name is Barbra" was in the fray, but I think the Kazan album came first.

First 45 was something by Petula Clark.

First Male 45 or LP I bought:  I was coming off a "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (movie and OST) "high" and found "Harve Presnell sings the World's Greatest Love Songs."  He did, indeed.

First 45...Maybe "Venus in Blue Jeans" by Bobby Vee.

I had "eclectic" tastes.

And just for fun:  The first "Group" LP I ever bought was "Jan and Dean's Greatest Hits".

"Go Granny, Go, Granny, Go, Granny, GO!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:13:41 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »

LA TIMES

A youth ‘on track’ until fatal gunfire

Football player's dreams die in a flurry of bullets in South L.A.

By Paloma Esquivel, Paul Pringle and Francisco Vara-Orta, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
March 4, 2008

Stanford University called about Jamiel Shaw a week or so ago, intrigued by the slight but speedy running back for Los Angeles High School, the Southern League's most valuable player last year. Rutgers University called a few days later.

The Shaw family already had reason to be proud. Jamiel's mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, was on her second tour of duty in Iraq.

On Sunday night, it was Jamiel's father on the phone and then his son's girlfriend, Chrystale Miles. Jamiel Sr. called to tell him to hurry home from the mall. The 17-year-old boy was three doors away when someone shot him to death while he was still talking on his cellphone to Chrystale, friends say.

Jamiel Sr. heard the shots almost as soon as he hung up. He ran out of the house, raced around the corner and found his son lying on the sidewalk, bleeding.

"She's over there trying to protect us from guns and bombs, and then she has to hear that her son is dead over here," he said of Anita on Monday. "I've got my own personal Iraq now."

Los Angeles police officials described the killing as random and senseless, cutting down a youth who had been doing everything right in his life -- from hitting the books to never missing church to inspiring the Los Angeles High Romans to last year's Southern League title.

A police spokeswoman said two Latino men pulled up in a car, jumped out, asked Jamiel if he belonged to a gang, and shot him when he didn't answer. She said Jamiel was not affiliated with a gang and that detectives had no suspects.

Anita Shaw was flying back from Iraq on Monday, family members said.

College bound teen from stable family murdered on a Sunday evening virtually on his own doorstep for the offense of not being a gang member.

This is the American Tragedy. This is the terrorisn already infecting our daily lives.

What do our candidates have to say to the grieving family - shit happens?

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:07 AM »

LA TIMESCollege bound teen from stable family murdered on a Sunday evening virtually on his own doorstep for the offense of not being a gang member.

This is the American Tragedy. This is the terrorisn already infecting our daily lives.

What do our candidates have to say to the grieving family - shit happens?

der Brucer

I wouldn't conclude that he was shot for "not" being a gang member.  He did not reply, and they shot him anyway...possibly because they figured he was in a gang and was afraid to answer.

Either way, though...your point is made loud and clear!

But a further question that should be asked:  What do our "in office" politicians have to say to the grieving family. They're the ones responsible for changing things.  The "candidates" cannot be responsible for promising to fix ALL society's ills when the governing bodies that actually do the lawmaking ignore the problems.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:19:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2008, 08:18:35 AM »

TOD:

First OCR Cast Album I bought:  "Hello, Dolly!"  It was the early 1960s and I'd only just begun collecting soundtracks when this Broadway musical lit up the skies and became a smash.  I just HAD to have it!

First Female 45 or LP I bought:  Oddly enough, I believe the first female LP I bought was "Lainie Kazan".  I know "My Name is Barbra" was in the fray, but I think the Kazan album came first.

First 45 was something by Petula Clark.

First Male 45 or LP I bought:  I was coming off a "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (movie and OST) "high" and found "Harve Presnell sings the World's Greatest Love Songs."  He did, indeed.

First 45...Maybe "Venus in Blue Jeans" by Bobby Vee.

I had "eclectic" tastes.

And just for fun:  The first "Group" LP I ever bought was "Jan and Dean's Greatest Hits".

"Go Granny, Go, Granny, Go, Granny, GO!

I'm having trouble remembering my early album purchases. But, like Ron, I did purchase MY NAME IS BARBRA in high school, and a Lainie Kazan album in college. I do know that I had very little money for such things. I don't recall my parents ever giving me an album as a gift.

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:03 AM »

I had "eclectic" tastes.

Had?            ;)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »

Must take care of some errands.

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »

DR elmore3003 - I'm sorry about the chart.  But I'm confused.  Wouldn't setting the key signature be dictated by the person commissioning the job before you even start working?

Will you still be paid for your work?

singdaw

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »

I honestly don't know why the panier hasn't made a comeback...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »

The ultimate pendant humor:

der Brucer
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 08:30:37 AM by DERBRUCER »

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »

One of the gay nephews of the Drama Book Shop married a Polish or Czech girl around 1980 to get her out of the country, and I know a British lesbian who married a gay man for a green card in the 1980s.  we worked at the Drama Book Shop.  Hmm, a connection?

I had a gay friend who married a Swedish woman so she could come to America and work. They never lived together; in fact, he never heard from her after about five years.

I know this happens. It's the melodramatic seduction that I object to (if it happens). She's been eyeing them both like ice cream cones in the last couple of episodes where they've all appeared, and I know she has "designs" on them. Whether it's to become an American or whether it IS a grand plan designed by Colonel Meyer to get his son hitched, I'm not quite sure. But there's something "off" about her, and I despise how STUPID all of the other characters are who can't see her machinations. She's too needy for them all to buy this act hook, line, and sinker.

And what happened to the plan to go to the prison and ASK Colonel Meyer about her. They're taking the word of a complete stranger on face value. Another stupid plot machination.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2008, 08:30:32 AM »

I guess I need to head down now and check the mail, put away some things I bought at Target yesterday, and then begin lunch preparation.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2008, 08:30:55 AM »

A big happy birthday to former DR Panni/Anna!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up