Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SOME KNOCKOFF FISH FROM GUAM  (Read 47559 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:SOME KNOCKOFF FISH FROM GUAM
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »

Later I was in the kitchen talking to the hostess.  I never saw a single bottle of wine on display. ;D

Did you check the tub for purple stains?

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »

I'm sure it can't help.

I'm sorry but not surprised your tummy is not behaving.  I find it takes a long, long time for mine to recover.

Thank you, Jane. I'm used to bouncing back from these things.

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »

Dang me if I don't wholly agree with you, dude.  Archuleta is a voice looking for some guidance.  I'm of the opinion that his rendition of "Imagine" a few weeks back was wholly a fluke (Simon called it "a vocal master class").  He hasn't been anywhere near that  level since.

Heh. And you know, as much as I am a fan of John Lennon and the Beatles, I am glad we don't have to listen to karaoke versions of their songs anymore. I adore L&M, but two weeks in a row of kids butchering their music was overkill.

Let me ask you -- and any other fans, please jump in here -- am I crazy, or do the male judges seem all over the map with their "advice"? If Chickezie does a Luther Vandross ballad one week, they say, "It was so predictable...you should be brave and try a radical re-interpretation." But if he tries a countrified version of a familiar pop song the following week, they say, "Why aren't you doing what you do best, the Luther Vandross ballads?" Honest to God, that poor guy looked like he was wanted to burst into tears when the judges got through with him last night. And who can blame him?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »

Number one is hard, but I should think Lost In Boston (the Ultimate Collection), Unsung Musicals (the Ultimate Collection), Haines His Way, A Broadway Love Story, Peter Pan, Unsung Sondheim, Liz Callaway: On and Off Broadway, The Stephen Sondheim Album, either of the Emily Skinner/Alice Ripley duets albums, and Unsung Irving Berlin (one disc edition).  Ten minutes from now the list would be different, however.

I'd say no iPod should be without the Bill Evans with Symphony Orchestra CD.

I am very partial to the "Cinderella" recording BK did.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »

I read that Richard Widmark died - 93 - I actually had no idea he was still alive.  Wonderful actor and a nice, long life.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »

DR JEANNE it is the season for it......taxes and tummy problems.

LOL. I never thought of it that way!

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

And YES, I want to see THE BRAIN. When/where is it playing? Is the original soundtrack CD still available?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

She's been quite brassy the past couple of days.  

!!!
 ;D

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »

I am very partial to the "Cinderella" recording BK did.

Is that the "Run, Run, Run Cinderella" song? I always liked that one. And I like whatever song that was about "Disneyland." I can't remember which shows those were attached to, but I can hum both songs! It's actually hard for me to find songs on those CDs I don't enjoy. My all-time favorite was "Come Down from the Tree." Singing, arrangement, production...a total winner.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:51:02 PM by BrettySpaghetti »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »

Now that I'm caught up on the posts, I shall leave you and return a phone call.

Continued smooth sailing vibes to BK!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

Heh. And you know, as much as I am a fan of John Lennon and the Beatles, I am glad we don't have to listen to karaoke versions of their songs anymore. I adore L&M, but two weeks in a row of kids butchering their music was overkill.

Let me ask you -- and any other fans, please jump in here -- am I crazy, or do the male judges seem all over the map with their "advice"? If Chickezie does a Luther Vandross ballad one week, they say, "It was so predictable...you should be brave and try a radical re-interpretation." But if he tries a countrified version of a familiar pop song the following week, they say, "Why aren't you doing what you do best, the Luther Vandross ballads?" Honest to God, that poor guy looked like he was wanted to burst into tears when the judges got through with him last night. And who can blame him?

I think Chikezie is terrific.  I first noticed a double standard back in Season 2 when Ruben Studdard sang every one of his songs exactly the way each was covered by artists who made the songs famous.  They praised him  week after  week.  

Clay Aiken couldn't buy a break from Simon, who finally praised one of his songs by saying, "I imagined you with a bag over your head and you were terrific."  Others got the same old litany:  Too much like the original, do something different.  They've done that season after season...accepting some singers aping of originals and dissing others'.

The "judges"  are ridiculous.  Paula is beyond absurd.  Simon is entertainment value.  But...a bad word from Simon -- especially a prediction that the road has ended with one song -- generally sees the voting lemmings proving him right.  Randy is often deaf when it comes to judging "some singers'" performances.

I truly don't understand folks who have to rely upon the judges' comments before they can truly know what they liked and didn't.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »

Be sure to bring us back some Knockoff Fish...

Only if it's available in a can.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

She's been quite brassy the past couple of days.  You'd best watch yourself!   ;)

It must have something to do with the in-laws visiting. ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »

I love "Don't Feed the Plants"!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »

Is that the "Run, Run, Run Cinderella" song? I always liked that one. And I like whatever song that was about "Disneyland." I can't remember which shows those were attached to, but I can hum both songs! It's actually hard for me to find songs on those CDs I don't enjoy. My all-time favorite was "Come Down from the Tree." Singing, arrangement, production...a total winner.

The album I mean is a recording Bruce did of songs from various "Cinderella" musical presentations written by the likes of Richard Rodgers and Frank Churchill  and Stephen Sondheim and the Sherman Brothers.  The presentation is done as a cast recording of a "definitive" telling of the classic story with the best songs ever written for the various scenes newly recorded (in 1998) under Bruce's supervision:

1. Overture  
2. In My Own Little Corner  
3. Spread A Little Happiness  
4. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes  
5. Raise A Ruckus  
6. Impossible/Suddenly It Happens  
7. The Ball  
8. What Has Love got To Do With Getting Married  
9. A Lovely Night/Ten Minutes Ago    
10. Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?    
11. Midnight    
12. On the Steps Of The Palace  
13. Once I Was Loved    
14. If The Shoe Fits    
15. Tell Hm Anything    
16. The Stepsisters' Lament    
17. Finale  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

It must have something to do with the in-laws visiting. ;)

HAH!  ROTFL!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »

Another daughter just called me. She put together a video slide show, and used "I'll Be Seeing You"...I think it was Etta James' version. She showed it to her mom and sister who immediately both broke down.

She is going to havew this playing at the gathering at their home afterwards on a loop and called me because she said she always refers to me for questions about music. So of course, I'm all emotional right now and not thinking clearly, so I am phoning a friend: HHW.

Can anyone think of a song tha might be appropriate but not so tear-inducing? A little more upbeat? I'd like to give her a few options. I'm also going to look thru my massive itunes...

Thanks!

Does it have to be a song?  I can think  of  a couple of really lovely classical pieces that would set  a  very strong mood...emotional, yet  not overbearing:

Elgar: Enigma Variations, "Nimrod Suite" (9th movement)
Barber: Adagio for Strings

There are others, to be sure, which I'm sure several DRs here can recommend.

For a bit of show biz, you might even consider an instrumental version of Gershwin's "I'm On  My Way" from"Porgy and Bess".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:06:59 PM by Ron Pulliam »

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

I think Chikezie is terrific.  I first noticed a double standard back in Season 2 when Ruben Studdard sang every one of his songs exactly the way each was covered by artists who made the songs famous.  They praised him  week after  week.  

Clay Aiken couldn't buy a break from Simon, who finally praised one of his songs by saying, "I imagined you with a bag over your head and you were terrific."  Others got the same old litany:  Too much like the original, do something different.  They've done that season after season...accepting some singers aping of originals and dissing others'.

The "judges"  are ridiculous.  Paula is beyond absurd.  Simon is entertainment value.  But...a bad word from Simon -- especially a prediction that the road has ended with one song -- generally sees the voting lemmings proving him right.  Randy is often deaf when it comes to judging "some singers'" performances.

I truly don't understand folks who have to rely upon the judges' comments before they can truly know what they liked and didn't.  

This is all very interesting to me, because I did not watch the series prior to last year, and I will never care about anything before, say, the "top 14." Thanks for the extra perspective.

I think Simon is entertaining, even when I disagree with him. And sure, roll your eyes at Paula, but I kind of think they need someone like her to balance out Simon's savagery. I'm glad that she can be counted on almost always to throw those poor singers a bone. The guy I can't figure out is Randy Jackson. "Yo, yo, check it out, dawg, check it out." He's become a parody of himself. He hears so much "pitchiness" in performers that, like you, I have become convinced there's something wrong with the man's eardrums.

On a slightly unrelated note, has everybody here seen the ubiquitous Youtube clip of that moppet Connie Talbot crooning "Over the Rainbow" on Britain's "Pop Idol" and reducing the judges to tears? She is the cutest thing EVER.

singdaw

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »

Ha!

One conference call down; one to go.

The clients can't see me making faces at them when I'm on the phone!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »

Lovely recommendations, DR Ron Pulliam!

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »

The album I mean is a recording Bruce did of songs from various "Cinderella" musical presentations written by the likes of Richard Rodgers and Frank Churchill  and Stephen Sondheim and the Sherman Brothers.  The presentation is done as a cast recording of a "definitive" telling of the classic story with the best songs ever written for the various scenes newly recorded (in 1998) under Bruce's supervision

OK, thanks. I must be some kind of dumbass, as I only know of the Disney and Rodgers and Hammerstein versions of Cinderella (and whatever show that Liz Callaway song is from). I guess the Sondheim is from Into the Woods?

singdaw

« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »

5. Raise A Ruckus

I don't know from ruckuses.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »

I know it's a great honor around here to get the first post at the top of a page, but so little recognition is given to grabbing Reply #200. There are lots of first-page posts, but only ONE Reply #200. Hmph.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »

I woke up this morning with a bad kink in my neck...

...and then realized that I'd slept the night atop one of Zach's tennis balls!    :P

Is that anything like "tennis elbow"?  Was Zach in great pain as a result?

singdaw

« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »

I wonder if DR Michael S.'s website has a complete list of all the Kimmel recordings?  I'll have to check.  I'm curious if I have them all or if I'm missing one or two.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »

Does it have to be a song?  

That is a lovely idea, especially since people might be talking & moving about during the slide show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »

Ciao-ders for now-ders.

singdaw

« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »

Was Zach in great pain as a result?

Well I don't know about pain, but I'm sure he was feeling deprived!

I, on the other hand, was feeling depraved.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »

OK, thanks. I must be some kind of dumbass, as I only know of the Disney and Rodgers and Hammerstein versions of Cinderella (and whatever show that Liz Callaway song is from). I guess the Sondheim is from Into the Woods?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »

Well I don't know about pain, but I'm sure he was feeling deprived!

I, on the other hand, was feeling depraved.

Well, to quote a famous line:

"I'm depraved on account a I'm deprived"

What's that from???

You won't get a prize but you will get the recognition that you approach Top Theatre Nerd Status
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up