Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: CLOSER THAN EVER  (Read 78865 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:CLOSER THAN EVER
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VIXTER!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »

Must run some errands.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2008, 08:39:45 AM »

A tax return can only be expected to be as good as the info supplied by a client.  Mistakes on tax returns can be a matter of garbage in. garbage out, even when an accountant is on the ball.  Tax preparers are not mind-readers.  If the client doesn't tell the preparer that he or she made estimated payments, for example, the preparer does not know to ask, he or she just doesn't list what the client didn't give him.  If the client doesn't think to give the preparer some of his business deductions, it's not the preparer's fault that they don't ask where they are.  Requiring the preparer to chase the client down when in most cases the answer is "I gave you all i have" would cause higher fees all around, since the questions would have to be asked of almost every client.

Well I must defend my honor--in our case the estimated payments were clearly delineated on the information given, discussed in detail, plus this idiot preparer had been doing our taxes for several years prior and knew I made estimated payments.  He had made other stupid errors in previous years, but this one was the last straw.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »

Then that's a bad preparer.  

but you wouldn't believe the things preparers get blamed for.

FJL

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2008, 08:46:23 AM »

JMK - How horrible that junior accountant must have been as an employee if the estimated payment were clearly and conspicuously listed and he or she simply didn't bother doing anything at all with them.  I hope you checked over that return with a proverbial fine tooth comb after discovering that very basic error.

JMK

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »

JMK - How horrible that junior accountant must have been as an employee if the estimated payment were clearly and conspicuously listed and he or she simply didn't bother doing anything at all with them.  I hope you checked over that return with a proverbial fine tooth comb after discovering that very basic error.

Yes, after that error we had another accountant look over everything and that was the only mistake he had made (that year).  In a prior year I can't recall the specifics right now, but he had screwed something else up (I want to say our 529 contribution which is write-offable on the State return) that resulted in us getting another, bigger refund.  I have to say his errors were always in our favor, so I guess that's something to be thankful for.  The guy had absolutely NO personality--something I am sure you are never accused of.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: GIMCRACK!
Oh yeah? Well it takes one to know one, Buddy!  :o
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

JMK

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49:55 AM »

We are very organized, tax information wise.  I created a form I print out every year that is divided into income (both W2 and 1099), taxes paid (both withheld and estimated) as well as detailed sheets on all of our itemized expenses, listed by category.

FJL

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »

I'd rather a junior accountant enter something in the wrong place than just not enter it at all.  Just passing over something suggests apathy towards their work, which I think is worse than not knowing.

I care a lot about apathy.  :)

JMK

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2008, 08:52:46 AM »

On another, my bad, note:  I figured out why I got the excited email about Saawariya the other day.  It doesn't street until next week.  Sony complained to eBay and I had to remove the listing.  I never pay attention to street dates when I get these screeners, as we're on a time schedule to get reviews done no matter what the street date is.  I guess I have to be more careful when I list stuff on eBay.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »

And, yes, DR singing nymph, I still use Internet Explorer. Why not? It's fast, it came with the computer and is easily recognized by my DSL connection.
Well, for one thing, page 16 looked fine to me in Firefox.  ;D
IE came with my computer, but I find Firefox & Opera to be superior. MS Works came with my computer, but it's a waste of space compared to MS Office or OpenOffice. Windows Media Player came with my computer, but in some cases, I find WinAmp to be easier to use. But to each their own.  :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2008, 09:00:31 AM »

but you wouldn't believe the things preparers get blamed for.

Like fathering a love-child in Paris?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2008, 09:00:32 AM »

On another, my bad, note:  I figured out why I got the excited email about Saawariya the other day.  It doesn't street until next week.  Sony complained to eBay and I had to remove the listing.  I never pay attention to street dates when I get these screeners, as we're on a time schedule to get reviews done no matter what the street date is.  I guess I have to be more careful when I list stuff on eBay.

The let you sell screeners?  Don't the studios mind?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - given the fact that I went to bed at three, I was really hoping to sleep until ten, but the phone rang at eight-thirty, eight forty-five, and nine, so that was that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »

I'll see if I can get page sixteen to load and I can delete the post.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2008, 09:02:01 AM »

My one hope for tonight, drummer-wise, isn't happening - I was going to see if our original LA drummer was free, but he and his wife, Alice Ripley, are back living in New York.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »

I don't know when that move happened, but they certainly didn't tell anyone that I know.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »

I care a lot about apathy.  :)

Ah, yes…The Randy Vicar and the Apathetic Accountant.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »

Know anyone in a local rock band? :)

JMK

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2008, 09:11:17 AM »

The let you sell screeners?  Don't the studios mind?

Screeners are (usually) just the standard DVD releases, albeit sometimes they get to the reviewers before street date.  I typically get rid of the old ones I don't plan on watching again, only this time I didn't pay attention to the fact I had gotten one seriously early.  I'm way down the reviewer food chain so typically I get older stuff that no one else wants.

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »

Thanks for all the tax info.

DR Elmore, instead of waiting 10 days for your accountant to return, couldn't you do what DR JMK did and talk to a nice lady at the IRS who can advise you what happened!

Good luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »

Good Afternoon!

On my way back from the gym, I stopped by a gas station to re-fill my brother's car.  I think the last time I was at a gas station was last summer, and even though I have been following the rising gas prices on the news, I just had no idea that those numbers in the "Total Purchase" window could "spin" that fast!  :-\  *And I'm guessing that a good chunk of my expenses while I'm out in L.A. will be spent on gas.  Double- :-\  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »

Really overtired right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

I removed the weird post from page sixteen - does it load easier now?

3DDiffusion

« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »

Hi, all....

I'm thinking of going up to New York in another month or so to see The 39 Steps, which is at the Cort Theatre on
138 West 48th Street.

I'm not familiar with the city at all .... can anyone give the name of a good, but relatively inexpensive hotel near this theater?

And should I buy my tickets in advance or is there a good chance of getting them at those half-price ticket places?

And my eyes are lousy and I expect to be waaaaay back in the back of the theater, so is there any objection to people brinhing in big ol' binoculars (as opposed to tiny opera glasses)?

Thanks for any help.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »

I removed the weird post from page sixteen - does it load easier now?

like buttah!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »

Hi, all....

I'm thinking of going up to New York in another month or so to see The 39 Steps, which is at the Cort Theatre on
138 West 48th Street.

I'm not familiar with the city at all .... can anyone give the name of a good, but relatively inexpensive hotel near this theater?

And should I buy my tickets in advance or is there a good chance of getting them at those half-price ticket places?

And my eyes are lousy and I expect to be waaaaay back in the back of the theater, so is there any objection to people brinhing in big ol' binoculars (as opposed to tiny opera glasses)?

Thanks for any help.

The Cort is right off of Times Square, consequently, there's no such thing as a "relatively inexpensive hotel" in that immediate area.  Additionally, the "summer" rate have already been instituted at most of the hotels, so a "cheap" room right now starts around $250-300/night.  Try hotwire.com or priceline.com to see what kind of deals may be out there.

As for tickets, it should be up on TKTS, so... But since most of the seats sold at TKTS are off to the side and/or way up in the balcony, well...  There are still some discount codes out there - just check BroadwayBox.com - or the listings for Playbill.com, TheatreMania.com, etc., for their club codes and discounts.

The Cort is a relatively small theatre, so, you may not need your binoculars.  Otherwise, they're not an uncommon sight at theatres.  *I will say that with this play, you really do need to see whole stage picture.  Concentrating on just one or two actors at a time through a pair of binoculars would most likely diminish the effectiveness of the production.  -However, it's also staged on a small scale, so that helps too.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »

like buttah!

Like Marlon Brando with a stick of buttah!    :o

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2008, 10:12:04 AM »