Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: CLOSER THAN EVER  (Read 78899 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:CLOSER THAN EVER
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

Checking in....

Good day one and all!!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hand in the second draft of my paper on Thursday and then the final copy next week. I have my final on Monday....  After that I will do a dance!!!

While doing some reading today, I had ATWT on in the background. I am most curious to hear MattH's reaction to it.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

singdaw

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »

Now I have no reasons to grumble. Damn.

I'm sure we can think of something.    8)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2008, 12:07:21 PM »

SPOILER

The separation scene between Luke and Noah was interesting. Both men were expressing pain in their dialogue. Oddly it reminded me of a scene on another show a number of yearas ago.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

singdaw

« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

Have you the appropriate copyright clearances?

Copyright?    ???

:-X

singdaw

« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

Good for you, DR DakotaCelt!  :)

***SECOND-DRAFT and FINAL-DRAFT VIBES!!!***[/size]

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

This is for DR Jennifer:

Forgive me, Fred, but this one's about the IRS.

Many years ago, when I was making frequent trips from coast to coast, the man seated next to me on the plane asked me what I did for a living. I told him, then asked the same of him. He replied, "I work for the government." Apparently, most people never inquired further, but of course I did, as most of my work then was government-related. He sheepishly told me that he worked for the IRS. Thus ensued a lengthy and very informative (for me) conversation. What I've never forgotten is that he told me that they usually put their newest, least experienced employees on phone duty. I was shocked! When people have a problem, particularly a tax problem, they want to get it resolved quickly. They usually believe what they are told, thinking they are speaking to an authority. Admittedly, that was many years ago, and things COULD have changed. But my own experiences with getting help over the phone, whether it is from the IRS or state, has been very mixed indeed.

Let me pass on one other thing I learned from this man: if you have a major problem you can contact your senator or congressperson and ask for their help. There are congressional liaisons who can intervene and cut to the chase. I used this approach many years ago when FIVE letters failed to resolve a problem. No one reads the letters. One day "a nice lady" called (she had been contacted by the congressional liaison), I explained the problem, she told me what to do, and updated their files. I then asked, "Is there anything I could have done or should have done differently?" Her answer: "No." The problem is getting to someone knowledgable, who also wants to help. In my experience, it can take a lot of effort to get to that point.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »

Good to see you, DakotaCelt. We'll all party when you finish your work!

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »

Both men were expressing pain in their dialogue. Oddly it reminded me of a scene on another show a number of yearas ago.

A number of years ago? It's the same basic 5-6 plots on every soap every damned day!

I'm up to 11 plot points now:
1. couple loves each other but can't live together
2. with the wrong partner
3. accidental pregnancy
4. emotional blackmail
5. no one really works at their job since they're too busy expressing plot points
6. no one is remotely sane
7. you always marry the wrong person
8. unhappiness is always better than happy
9. someone's always out to break up a couple
10. safe sex is non-existent
11. jealousy, paranoia, and vengeance are modus operandi
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:54:49 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »

As I will soon be looking for a new (California) CPA, anyone have any ideas as to how I can find someone I'll be happy with? I prefer small firms and like to feel free to ask an occasional question or two during the year, as I update my files throughout the year to avoid the last-minute crunch. Hummm?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »

I went back to bed and got another hour or so worth of sleep.

FJL

« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »

Jeanne - Interesting IRS info.  I never knew that.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »

DR Jane was discussing Bryan's move and moving company options and the way that DR Woody explained his move.  Woody REALLY hates two dollar bills. And Matt started describing his viewing yesterday.  I think that covers most of page 16.   I posted a lot of nothing to get us to page 17

I would have posted a lot of something, if I could post.  Thank goodness Cilla was able to post nothings ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »

I would have posted a lot of something, if I could post.  Thank goodness Cilla was able to post nothings ;D

But you are noted for your sweet nothings :D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »

I'm sure we can think of something.    8)

Or, perhaps, you could "be" one!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »

My TODs : Miss Peggy Lee: I ordered 3 of the 4 new re-issues ; One, a collection of single from the 50's and 60's, has a '59 recording of "Where Do I Go from Here?", so beautifully recorded by Liz Callaway and, as nice as Miss Lee's Version is, I still prefer Miss Callaway's.The other two CDs are from the early 70's. Miss Lee was recording a lot of soft rock, etc, and she matched up with that type of material, mixed her bag better, so to speak, than Steve, Eydie, Tony, etc. The oddest combo is an up-tempo Losing My Mind, followed by George Harrison's My Sweet Lord(not on the same track); And speaking, of taxes, I've decided that if I get a nice Rebate, I'll order a Fall ticket for the Lincoln Center SOUTH PACIFIC(I just read-in one sitting-the new coffee table book on SP

Do any of your Lee recordings include her version of "Two for the Road"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »

And no.  Not that kind of master.  In case you were wondering.

All I know of this innuendo is that once Larry sends you "the master" and he doesn't get a CD out of it in a reasonable amount of time, someone in leather with a cat o'nine tails may show up at your door.

Pray it won't be Larry!     :-*

Jane

« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »

Jane:  re:  moving.  Go with one of the nationals (Bekins, for example).  Do NOT go with the locals--we made that mistake when we moved into our current home from our house on the southeast side of Portland.  We hired "All America Movers," and got a psycho mover who was in the throes of a divorce, threw our stuff all over in a rage and later dropped my grand piano, cracking the case.  It tooks us many weeks of threatened lawsuits to get everything taken care of.  The State was little if any help, although they do have a department specifically for licensing movers, which I only found out about after a lot of investigative work.

Sounds like one of our moves from hell.  Bryan had a terrible local mover when he moved into the loft.  

I'm talking about a "local" national moving company.  He needs a national company to get his belongings across the country.  

Do you know a local Bekins office with a good rep?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »

Well, for one thing, page 16 looked fine to me in Firefox.  ;D
IE came with my computer, but I find Firefox & Opera to be superior. MS Works came with my computer, but it's a waste of space compared to MS Office or OpenOffice. Windows Media Player came with my computer, but in some cases, I find WinAmp to be easier to use. But to each their own.  :)

You're right; to each his own. MS Works came with my computer, and I use the word processor every single day. For what *I* need to do, it's the equal of Word that I paid big money for in the day.

I just thought the way you put it about folks using Explorer was kind of condescending to be honest.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:13 PM »

With the more-than-able assist of the rest of us.

singdaw

« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

Do you know a local Bekins

DR Ron Pulliam is a beacon of...something.

Oh.  That's not what you meant.    :-\

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »

All I know of this innuendo is that once Larry sends you "the master" and he doesn't get a CD out of it in a reasonable amount of time, someone in leather with a cat o'nine tails may show up at your door.

Pray it won't be Larry!     :-*

When it comes to delivering pain, I suspect Larry uses the services of a soprano.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »

Are $2 bills really commonly available? I haven't seen one in ages. The post office stamp machines issue $1 coins as change, and I usually use them in the grocery store on Friday if I have them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »

Hmm.. Dinner, dinner... Where to go to dinner?

I'm meeting a dear old friend of mine tonight for - guess what? - dinner.  We met years(!) ago during one of the SETC conferences.  We never worked together, but we regularly crossed paths over the years.  He and his partner have been living here in NovA for the past two years or so. My friend has - sadly - left the "biz" (truly one of the most glorious voices I've ever heard), but he seems to be fine in his new line of work and loving it too.

Since I'm the one who knows where "all the good places" are, he's left it up to me to pick where we'll be supping tonight.  I'm in Centreville right now, and he's in North Springfield - basically at opposing tines of the fork - and I'm trying to find someplace in the middle where we could meet up.  Since I'm the one who knows where "all the good places" are, he's left it up to me to pick where we'll be supping tonight.  They had suggested some place in Shirlington - which means I could go to Carlyle, although, we could also meet up at Tysons Corner - where we could go to Coastal Flats (another member of the Great American Restaurants family).

However, there's also a couple of other favorites that I'm considering. Decisions, decisions.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »

Pray it won't be Larry!

I'm praying for Rosemary's Baby, myself.    ;)

singdaw

« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2008, 01:16:52 PM »

Since I'm the one who knows where "all the good places" are, he's left it up to me to pick where we'll be supping tonight.

And anything worth saying is worth repeating.     8)

Jane

« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »

DR Jeanne, thanks for the suggestions.  I’m sure Bryan will be sharing a truck with one or more other clients.  In my personal experience you need a full truck before you can get “best driver” info.  I’ll ask Bryan if MoveSource was one of the brokers that have called him.  He will not be using the one that woke him up at 7:00 on a Saturday morning.

singdaw

« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

I'm sure you will have an excellent evening, DR JoseSPiano.  :)

singdaw

« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »

DR Jeanne, thanks for imparting your IRS insider information.  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2008, 01:18:33 PM »

Checking in....

Good day one and all!!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hand in the second draft of my paper on Thursday and then the final copy next week. I have my final on Monday....  After that I will do a dance!!!

While doing some reading today, I had ATWT on in the background. I am most curious to hear MattH's reaction to it.

Basically, I have stopped watching AS THE WORLD TURNS until the entire Ameera storyline plays itself out. However, if I'm being honest, I saw in the cable program guide that Luke and Noah were going to be on today, so I did record and sped through the show this afternoon. I wish I hadn't because Luke's instant joy and instant dissatisfaction was SO ridiculous. Very aggravating to watch something so lame and so artifically set up by the writers. Who ARE these people?

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

I did spend the afternoon with the DVR watching and clearing off other programs I had recorded.

I began with THE TUDORS, and DR Elmore was so right. It was a very moving episode. And I suspect all is downhill for the Boleyns now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up