Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THEM THERE NOTES  (Read 75842 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THEM THERE NOTES
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »

Back from Teddy - highlights this time around are very subtle.  I now have to go ship a bunch of packages.  I may actually have to repress the CD now, which naturally will put us closer to someday selling out.  We're down to the last 100 or so of the first batch.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »

From what I read in the press announcement, only the Blu-ray disc is going to offer HOW THE WEST WAS WON in a smilebox format. The sDVD will be a regular anamorphic transfer only.

Well, it won't be same-old same-old....WB has devised a way to remove the two seams and the words if very positive that HTWWW has never looked as good as it does now, even in the standard version.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »

DR Jane - your first photo (the one with the bridge) would make a nice spinescape, too!

It would, if it were more in focus. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »

Well, JRAnd, here is a little info on Lithia Park for you!

Lithia Park’s History

Ashland began in the 1800’s as a water-powered sawmill and a flour mill standing on the banks of Ashland Creek. The mill occupied what is now the entrance to Lithia Park. The plaza was a popular meeting spot, where settlers would hitch their horses, trade wheat for flour or purchase lumber.

Early settlers had ties to Ashland County, Ohio and Ashland, Kentucky, hence the town’s name. It became official in 1855 with the opening of the Ashland Mills Post Office.

By 1859 the city had 50 people. Hotels, schools, churches and mills sprang up and during the 1870’s and 1880’s. Ashland grew faster than any town south of Portland. By 1900 there were 3,000 people in Ashland, the largest town in Jackson County at the time.

In the early1900’s, water rich in lithium-now known as Lithia water-bubbled from the town’s fountains. With the help of the Women’s Civic Improvement Club, a park system was developed, including Lithia Park.

The park began with eight acres in 1892 by the Chautauqua Association to bring entertainment and culture to southern Oregon. They built a domed building for their shows, the walls of which now surround the Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s Elizabethan Theater.

Visitors came from miles around over the next thirty summers to participate in the various attractions offered, and to camp in what was to become Lithia Park.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival began in 1935 with a three-day summer festival of Shakespearean plays under founding director Angus Bowmer.

Jane

« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »

Loving the pictures of good ole Lithia Park, DR Jane...such fond memories!

When are you coming back for a visit.  Of course, is you have Bosco we would have to go elsewhere again.  There is always Mount Ashland or Oredson-Todd Woods.

MBarnum

« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »

In the late 60s and up through the early 80s Ashland was quite the "hippie" place...but now you would have to be a millionaire to buy a home there.

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2008, 01:43:35 PM »

I'd like to know why Lithia Park does not allow dogs....what is the world coming to...or what is Southern Oregon coming to!

Jane

« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »

Well, in that case I'm safe, because I have absolutely no love for those damned two dollar bills.
 ;)

Really!  I didn't pick up on that ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »

Here are some additional shots of Lithia Park, in Ashland Oregon, to supplement those that DR Jane posted earlier...

Jane

« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »

In the late 60s and up through the early 80s Ashland was quite the "hippie" place...but now you would have to be a millionaire to buy a home there.

The hippies are still in abundance though they are now outnumbered by the New Age folks. There is also a large (for the size of the town) transient population.

Our housing market is effected by the California market, and you know that isn't doing well these days.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »

The only thing those pictures lack is a dog or two.

Just to give a sense of scale, of course.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »

As long as we have lived here dogs have not been permitted in the park, even on a leash.  I can understand strict leash laws & pick up laws but not permitting them altogether is beyond me.

I suppose with all rules like this, they happened because of thoughtless dog owners.  

MBarnum

« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2008, 02:00:06 PM »

And for your added pleasure a couple of shots of downtown Ashland (the tall building is the hotel I worked at back in the early 80s)

Jane

« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »

The only thing those pictures lack is a dog or two.

Just to give a sense of scale, of course.

When we walk Sherlock in town there are plenty of dogs on the streets.  Unfortunately many of these dogs belong to the transient population & for some odd reason the dogs tend to be aggressive.  For the most part we know which ones to avoid & which people control their dogs.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »

Well, it won't be same-old same-old....WB has devised a way to remove the two seams and the words if very positive that HTWWW has never looked as good as it does now, even in the standard version.

Yes, I've seen pictures of the "seamless" frames. I have to admit, as nice as that will be, I will kind of miss the seams. That's how I saw Cinerama films back in the day, so I'm used to them looking that way.

Still, the last DVD was not anamorphic but still worlds better than the letterboxed laserdisc, so both the sDVD and Blu-ray should be giant leaps ahead in video quality.

Can't wait; they come out in August.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »

MBarnum, nice shot of Oak Street (with the used book store) and the view from the hotel.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »

Going to write for a bit and then head down to watch INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM. I trust it will look as good as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Since so much of it takes place in that dark temple, I think it's good I'm waiting until the den can have less outside light coming in.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »

I may actually have to repress the CD now

Well there's some good news!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »

MBarnum, nice shot of Oak Street

I live on an Oak Street!  :)

Yes, beautiful shots, DR MBarnum!  Thanks for sharing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »

And for your added pleasure a couple of shots of downtown Ashland (the tall building is the hotel I worked at back in the early 80s)

I thought you worked in a theme park as a ride!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

And was "for your added pleasure" how you were introduced to the hotel guests while you working there?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

Back from Teddy - highlights this time around are very subtle.  I now have to go ship a bunch of packages.  I may actually have to repress the CD now, which naturally will put us closer to someday selling out.  We're down to the last 100 or so of the first batch.

Is this the PRIMROSE CD you're talking about? If so, great.

I sure wish the hell mine would show up!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »

I went crazy last night searching one of The Tudors Season 1 discs for a "lost" episode.  But it turns out the the discs and packaging were simply mis-labeled; the missing episode turned up on the next disc.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »

And was "for your added pleasure" how you were introduced to the hotel guests while you working there?

As my friend Trashy Trish used to say, it's my business to do pleasure with you.

singdaw

« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »

;D

I was thinking it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »

I went crazy last night searching one of The Tudors Season 1 discs for a "lost" episode.  But it turns out the the discs and packaging were simply mis-labeled; the missing episode turned up on the next disc.

Now you know how I felt when I found your Feb email!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »

I cannot get Dinah Washington's "Relax Max" out of my head!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »

People have been begging me to repress my CDs for years.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »

DR elmore3003:   ;D

singdaw

« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »

People have been begging me to repress my CDs for years.

;D    Well, that would be the only thing about you that'd be repressed!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up