Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ENJOYABLE WEEK  (Read 79196 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE ENJOYABLE WEEK
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2008, 11:56:17 AM »

Here's an option that I've always found quite appealing:

No Nursing Home for Me

Works for me  ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »

It's also not easy to get to Madison (the largest city close to Fort Atkinson) by plane if I want to visit while Anthony is in Wisconsin. I finally found a couple of good fares with nonstop flights but who knows what they will be like in a month or two. Most flights have at least one stop and some have 3!!! One of them takes you from LaGuardia to Boston to Cincinnati to Madison with a plane change at each stopover with total flying time hovering around 9 hours and that's without any delays.

Ben - One stop is typical for everywhere in the Midwest.  A direct flight is an incredible luxury. Just so you know

Cillaliz

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

DR Ben - being somewhat familiar with that part of Wisconsin since Richard has been a student there for 2 years, I'd recommend flying into Milwaukee.  The airport is very easy to access and very convenient to I-94 westbound.  You'd probably find better flights into and out of there.

Also, someone at the seminary told me about a shuttle bus to Waukesha from O'Hare in Chicago.  Waukesha isn't too far from Fort Atkinson.

Ben, Midwest is have an airfare sale until May 9.  Their hub is Milwaukee and they fly into both LaGuardia and Newark....leather seats, hot chocolate chip cookies on the flight...

Ben

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »

Ben, Midwest is have an airfare sale until May 9.  Their hub is Milwaukee and they fly into both LaGuardia and Newark....leather seats, hot chocolate chip cookies on the flight...

MMM, sounds good. I'll look into flying into Milwaukee.

Jane

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »

Watch out, JRAND, I'm still one of the Hillary people who won't vote for Obama

I'm tired of voting for a candidate because I dislike the other one more.  I'm very tempted to "write in" a name this election - ;) -I think.

If it comes to to your not voting for Obama I'll be curious what you decide to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »

I'm tired of voting for a candidate because I dislike the other one more.  I'm very tempted to "write in" a name this election - ;) -I think.

If it comes to to your not voting for Obama I'll be curious what you decide to do.

Maybe I'll just write in myself, although that's a job I wouldn't want.  I could say that I know someone voted for me for President, though   ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2008, 12:05:07 PM »

I'm just fed up with the whole lot of them.  

Jane

« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »

;D Cilla.

I have a friend who works at a courthouse.  She said please don't do "write in", that have to count every single Micky or Minni Mouse, etc. ;D  I always thought it was a joke people wrote in silly names.

Jane

« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »

Edi:
Poor Sherlock! I hope he deals well with the treatment and is better soon.

Thank you, he really feels fine and handles all the foot cleaning rather well except for the 10 minutes of standing in the solution-lol.  We tell him to settle, & he goes down onto his side and relaxes.  The pills are wrapped in peanut butter so he is happy to take them.  The hard part is no hikes or walks

I’m very sorry about your friend, and yes-cancer sucks big time!

Jane

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »

Vixmom:
Has anyone else read the novel "The Girls" about conjoined twin girls... I am reading it now and may have to wander off again to finish up

I have not, maybe I should.  Was ending as good as the beginning?

Have you read "Rush Home Road" by Lori Lansens?  While searching for reviews on "The Girls" I found equally, or better, reviews for Rush.

singdaw

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »

Speaking of cancer...

My relatively young work colleague with the breast cancer had surgery and has been home for a week now.  Expected to return to work in another 3 to 4 weeks.  No further information yet from her doctors on the prognosis.

Jane

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »

EXCELLENT PROGNOSIS VIBES FOR YOUR YOUNG CO-WORKER!!![/color]

Wishes for a speedy recovery!

td

• td
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »

Watch out, JRAND, I'm still one of the Hillary people who won't vote for Obama

That makes two of us. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »

Thanks, DR Jane!  :)

Jane

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

td, What name will you write in on your ballet? ;)

td

• td
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »

td, What name will you write in on your ballet? ;)

I shall write in your name, DR Jane. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2008, 12:37:33 PM »

;D

Jane

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

Last night while we were watching the very funny second half of EASY LIVING, Sherlock kept staring at me & kind of making funny faces.  I had to keep asking Keith to pause the movie so we could watch him.  Between Sherlock and the Preston Sturges movie, we had loads of laughs. :)

singdaw

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »

I shall write in your name, DR Jane. . . .

;)

I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy...

singdaw

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »

Sherlock kept staring at me & kind of making funny faces.

Everyone's a critic...

:)

Jane

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »

MBarum, darling card for DR Danise. :)

Jane

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »

Yesterday I went for a walk in the park

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »

That makes two of us. . .

Ditto!  Make that THREE!

And FWIW, the supporters behind Obama on TV look every bit as scary as anyone in the Hillary camp.    ;D

I will, however, have a candidate to support/vote for.  For the first time in 40 years, I'll likely vote for the Republican (presumptive) nominee (John McCain).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:53:59 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »

One more.

Jane

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »

And FWIW, the supporters behind Obama on TV look every bit as scary as anyone in the Hillary camp.    ;D

My friend who works at the courhouse in Pennsylvania had the nicest things to say about the young Obama supporters.  She was very impressed this their passion & polite manners.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:58 PM »

My friend who works at the courhouse in Pennsylvania had the nicest things to say about the young Obama supporters.  She was very impressed this their passion & polite manners.

Not to be snarky, but I've heard a whole lot about the excitement and passion of Obama supporters.  Folks say he has a magnetism and a charisma that is exciting.  For some reason, I'm immune.

He talks about changes in America.  Great changes.  He does not, however, have a track record of implementing any great changes anywhere even though his fans presume that he will work miracles.  

Another politician of the past century entered office with tons of charisma and a promise of change.  He, too, had no track record of ever implementing any changes.  Millions of German youths were extremely passionate about him, too.  

Adolf Hitler was his name.  Now, yes....we are talking a "far remove" from then and now, Obama and Hitler.  But Hitler was young, idealistic and had felt "repressed" for a long time.  He was SWEPT into power by others who felt that way.  And, of course, they all distanced themselves from any culpability over what changes Hitler actually impelemented.  

Obama has the Reverend Wright issue hanging over his head, even though he seems to be escaping from what folks don't want to believe.  Yes, we know he's publicly "distanced" himself from Wright.  But the fact is that Wright preaches HATRED from his pulpit.  And Obama, while saying he does not subscribe to Wright's "hate" views, sat there in Wright's church, Sunday after Sunday after Sunday, absorbing all that hate-rhetoric...but we're not supposed to believe for one minute that he was ever influenced by it.  

There are tons of highly respectable people endorsing Obama.  Millions in every walk of like are behind him, too.  I hope they are right and that I am wrong.

I wish I didn't have my doubts....but I do.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:26:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »

Last night was the episode before the finale here for DAMAGES.

What an interesting show!

I am curious if there is a season two? I'm guessing if there is that it has not started yet?

Yes there will be a season two, but not likely to begin until 2009.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

FOR ASK BK DAY:

Has Muse Margaret or one of your proofers ever made a suggestion that caused you to alter one of your manuscripts in any significant way?

The proofers are not really reading in that way - they are doing grammar, punctuation, and looking for typos or obvious or not-obvious errors.

Muse Margaret is a whole other story.  She "gets" what I do and is impeccable in her ability to see things that are not what they should be.  It doesn't happen often, but when she has a problem, I listen.  Sometimes it's as simple as her reading the pages I've given her and having her say "I'd like to know what that person was wearing, or how did she smell" or that kind of detail, and I always do it, because she's always right.  In the new book, which she loved, there was one section where she got antsy because I was repeating a lot of information in dialogue, because I thought it was important.  I ended up changing that to just a couple of lines from the third-person narrator rather than dialogue.

There are times when I've disagreed, but when I've gone back and really analyzed what she was saying, she was right and I made changes.  The two biggest things ever were in the title story of How To Write A Dirty Book and Other Stories, and in the final chapter of Rewind.

In the former, the story was originally written in the first person, the leading character was an out-of-work actor and she loved the idea of the story and all the dialogue, but HATED that he was an actor and hated the first person - she felt it was smarmy.  I disagreed, of course, but then reread it and saw exactly what she meant.  So, the first thing I did was change the character's occupation to the much better (and why I hadn't thought of it in the first place is anyone's guess, because it was the ONLY profession he should have had) having him be an out of work screenwriter, which made much more sense to the story.  I then made him a nebbish who hadn't had much luck with girls and that change actually gave the story some depth and a point it didn't originally have.  I then put it in the third person and voila - it worked so much better.  All of those changes, surprisingly, too me about twenty minutes.

With Rewind, she never had one problem until the final chapter - she basically thought I'd ruined the book and she wanted me to simply cut the chapter.  I thought it was great, but we agreed to both reread it and talk again the next day.  In the meantime, I had dinner with my friend Nick Redman, and I asked him about it.  I gave away the ending to get his opinion, and I told him what the chapter was about and what the point was and he loved what I told him.  So, I wrote down all the reasons he loved it, and I talked to Margaret the next day and read them to her.  And she said the most amazing thing.  She said, "Yes, he's totally right - what you told him is perfect - but that's not what you wrote."  I went back and read it and bingo, she was totally right.  In just a few paragraphs I'd mucked it up because I was facile.  It took me all of four minutes to rewrite those few paragraphs and then she was thrilled with it.

She's never been wrong yet and while it's sometimes hard to pinpoint what her problem may be, we always figure it out and I always change it.

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »

I began my afternoon of viewing with last night's SVU. Good story with Stephen Collins as the primary guest star. I noticed that Mariska Hargitay's husband Peter Herrman was back on the job as a defense attorney for Collins. And a wonderful twist ending! One of the better SVUs in awhile.

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

Next, I watched the first of the Blu-rays that needed immediate attention - SHALL WE DANCE? It's no surprise Disney decided to issue this on HD since DANCING WITH THE STARS is currently their highest rated series, even higher in the ratings than GREY'S ANATOMY or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

The film might have been a bigger hit had it been released now rather than before the DANCING WITH THE STARS phenomenon hit in this country. Always found it a wonderfully entertaining and ingratiating movie, despite some melodramatic moments. But it ends in a really feel-good place.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up