Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ENJOYABLE WEEK  (Read 79214 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE ENJOYABLE WEEK
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2008, 01:25:32 PM »

I also watched all of the special features, all of which had been ported over from the sDVD. (The commentary was the same as well.) I hadn't watched any of them prior to today, so they were interesting behind-the-scenes looks at the hard, hard work that went into making the dancing in the film look effortless. And the actors had to learn to dance well and then tone down their expertise to film the early scenes where they were klutzes.

As anyone who has ever learned a real dance routine can tell you, dancing is very hard work. Gere trained for four months to master the ballroom routines he does in the movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2008, 01:28:42 PM »

Page Seven Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Dorothy Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »

I also got today a review copy of the 6th season set of J.A.G. which I'm also eager to get to at some point. Maybe this weekend.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR DANISE

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »

There are times when I've disagreed, but when I've gone back and really analyzed what she was saying, she was right and I made changes.  The two biggest things ever were in the title story of How To Write A Dirty Book and Other Stories, and in the final chapter of Rewind.

In the former, the story was originally written in the first person, the leading character was an out-of-work actor and she loved the idea of the story and all the dialogue, but HATED that he was an actor and hated the first person - she felt it was smarmy.  I disagreed, of course, but then reread it and saw exactly what she meant.  So, the first thing I did was change the character's occupation to the much better (and why I hadn't thought of it in the first place is anyone's guess, because it was the ONLY profession he should have had) having him be an out of work screenwriter, which made much more sense to the story.  I then made him a nebbish who hadn't had much luck with girls and that change actually gave the story some depth and a point it didn't originally have.  I then put it in the third person and voila - it worked so much better.  All of those changes, surprisingly, too me about twenty minutes.

They really made the story work, giving it depth and humor. :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

td, What name will you write in on your ballet? ;)

As in everything is beautiful at the ballet?

Jane

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »

As in everything is beautiful at the ballet?

Took me a minute to see that I used an e instead of an o.  ;D  At least I caught the fact, before posting, I almost used an a instead of an o-lol.

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »

My friend who works at the courhouse in Pennsylvania had the nicest things to say about the young Obama supporters.  She was very impressed this their passion & polite manners.

Yes, until you tell them you like someone other than Obama, then they are pushy and rude and treat you like you are ignorant. At least they did here

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »

No one has even started talking about Obama's cocaine use. That will be a big one later

Cillaliz

« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »

I shall write in your name, DR Jane. . . .

Cool, this will be the DR Jane ballet

Ginny

« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »

Time to pack up here, check the PO box for the volunteer administrators, and go home to eat a burger for dinner with DH Richard.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »

Now I want a burger!  And I don't mean the wuss kind, either!  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2008, 02:03:56 PM »

Back from shipping yet more packages.  Have no idea if any packages await me at my mail place since they put them out later and later every day.

singdaw

« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

Wow!  Thanks, bk.

Jane

« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »

DR Ron, I’m pleased you explained your original snarky comment.  For one I wasn’t sure if you were joking, & since you aren’t an understanding of the comment is appreciated.

I admit I’m drawn to his charisma-not that will ever be the reason I vote for someone.  I’m not impressed with his record, though at the moment I find he is the only voice of reason about this relief for gas tax.  Of course this is one minor point.  Until I check the box on my ballot I have serious reading & thinking to do.  I always said I would not vote for Hillary & now I’m not sure.

I think/hope you are wrong that he agrees with Wright.  I understand your concerns.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »

Am now whipping up a batch of my famous Wacky Noodles for my meal o' the day.  Haven't gotten around to finishing conforming the Brain, but will do so now.

singdaw

« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »

I was viewing online some footage of a "reimagined" production of Brigadoon coming soon to Boston.

One wag over at CASTRECL commented that these guys look like they might be happier going home with each other rather than with Bonnie Jean.  ;)

Jane

« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

Yes, until you tell them you like someone other than Obama, then they are pushy and rude and treat you like you are ignorant. At least they did here

That was the point, they were consistently nice and considerate.  My friend is not an Obama supporter, she really liked these young people.

singdaw

« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »

Wacky Noodles
Recipe?  :)

Haven't gotten around to finishing conforming the Brain, but will do so now.
Don't forget the new line during The Brain Tap sequence!

Jane

« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »

Cool, this will be the DR Jane ballet

I like that. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »

Here's an option that I've always found quite appealing:

No Nursing Home for Me

Sign me up!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »

Going to drop off-line to write for a little while and then will be back to sign off for the evening.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2008, 02:21:38 PM »

Recipe?  

Do a search.  That recipe has been posted at least twice, IIRC.   ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »

Now I want a burger!  And I don't mean the wuss kind, either!  :)

Have I got some meat for you!   :-X
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

DR Ron, I’m pleased you explained your original snarky comment.  For one I wasn’t sure if you were joking, & since you aren’t, an understanding of the comment is appreciated.

I admit I’m drawn to his charisma-not that will ever be the reason I vote for someone.  I’m not impressed with his record, though at the moment I find he is the only voice of reason about this relief for gas tax.  Of course this is one minor point.  Until I check the box on my ballot I have serious reading & thinking to do.  I always said I would not vote for Hillary & now I’m not sure.

I think/hope you are wrong that he agrees with Wright.  I understand your concerns.

I'd vote for John Edwards....or, even better....Al Gore... in a heartbeat!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:23:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »

I detest the abbreviation of "BD" for Blu-ray discs.  Why not something distinctive, like  "BVD"?  :D
So, if you had quite a collection of the discs and wanted a place to store them, you wouldn't use a shelf - instead, you'd keep them in your drawers?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:28:42 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »

I'd vote for John Edwards....or, even better....Al Gore... in a heartbeat!

I was very disappointed when Gore did not win the election & sorry he didn't run in the last one.

I was disappointed it wasn't Edwards instead of Kerry in the last election, and surprised he didn't make it farther in this one.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »

Here is a question for all feline lovers:

Re: folks who love, but are living a life without, cats....are they what are referred to as "lapsed cat-licks"?

:)

I've never heard of this phrase. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:40 PM »

It's been a peculiar day, and traffic's a mess, most particularly because of Al Sharpton and the Sean Bell family leading protests around the City today. So, I'm off to CAMELOT, which I hope will be wonderful. It's a mess of a show and Lerner never solved it, so for a concert, I'd prefer the original Broadway scorr and libretto. We'll see what Lonny Price wll make of it.

I fear for this BRIGADOON; I wish that the powers who think they're fixing a broken show would simply find a new book writer, lyricist, and composer and do a goddam new show since BRIGADOON was never broken, IMO. The clip online is rather alarming.

I see that GLORY DAYS is now a thing of the past; I would swear that the reviews didn't seem as scathing as that, but I only saw a few and Dame Ben Brantley was rather kind toward it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2008, 02:42:04 PM »

I didn't get it either, and I must fit the description.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up