Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON  (Read 73702 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »

... there are plenty of walkers in Beverly Hills...

Yes, the elderly not yet wheel chair bound use them regularly.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2008, 01:02:45 PM »

I wonder if there are other flowers with lunar names?

The choices are slim.  On a solar system scale, though, there are Sunflowers!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »

Our Detroit PBS has no listing for CAMELOT; Fortunately ther are two other PBS stations in Mich, and I'm hoping one of those carries the show.Todays WSJ ahd a wonderful interview with Gabriel Byrne about the show, the 1st musical he saw(Oklahoma!in Ireland) and his thoughts on the Lincoln Center SOUTH PACIFIC...........If I were refiming a movie musical, I'd start with CHICAGO, retaing all the songs, and requiring that 90% of the dances have head to toe photography of the dancers and at least a six seconds delay between cuts. I would also forbid anyone connected with the film from mentioning, irises, pupils, eyeballs. The closest they coud get would be a brief dicussion of false eyelashes.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »

I checked for CAMELOT tonight. Only one of the three local PBS stations is showing it at 8. I'll be recording it from a rebroadcast at 2 a.m.

None of the scheduled broadcasts are in HD, however. All the scheduled ones (so far) are on the regular PBS channel. Obviously, I'd rather record and see it in HD, but here (at least for now) that's not an option.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »

DR SingDaw:

How about lunar foods?

Moon Pies!   :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2008, 01:14:20 PM »

What was supposed to be an early lunch turned out to be not so early. It actually ended up being at the usual (12:30 ) time which would have been OK, but I wanted to try to squeeze in something else besides AUGUST RUSH this afternoon. Ah, well. T'was not to be.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS, DR George, on getting everything all set up.  May it provide you with many years of enjoyment!  :)

Thanks!  And I certainly hope that it lasts years and years! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »

I did, however, see AUGUST RUSH. Your heart had to go out to the title character, but what an overly manipulated and irritatingly contrived drama. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be happy with the ending, despite how absurd it was for all of the these people to end up in one place and one special time. And, of course, lots of gaps in logic that would have prevented her from reconnecting with that child before the chance encounter of the evening at the close of the film. Still, they were trying to pluck the heartstrings in overdrive with the film. It worked sporadically with me despite my being resentful at how shamelessly they were pulling the emotional  strings of mine.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

One nice surprise in AUGUST RUSH - the gorgeous Alex O'Laughlin played Jonathan Rhys Myers' older brother in the film and was using his natural Irish accent in playing the part.

Jonathan's singing voice is barely tolerable, and he sings A LOT in this movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »

I also watched the one bonus feature on the disc - 7 deleted scenes from the film totalling a little over 10 minutes.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:16 PM »

O joy, frabjous or otherwise--I just found out by some miracle I have been assigned the upcoming Criterion Thief of Bagdad to review.  This is probably my all-time favorite Korda production and one I never tire of watching.  It's interesting to compare this film with the German Munchhausen film, which attempted to duplicate some of its visual wonderment.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »

I flipped on the last half hour of LAW & ORDER on TNT-HD. Tony Roberts was a guest star and Elizabeth Ashley was a defense attorney. This was one of the older ones with Jill Hennesy playing the ADA to Sam Waterston.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

O joy, frabjous or otherwise--I just found out by some miracle I have been assigned the upcoming Criterion Thief of Bagdad to review.  This is probably my all-time favorite Korda production and one I never tire of watching.  It's interesting to compare this film with the German Munchhausen film, which attempted to duplicate some of its visual wonderment.

Mine came today, but it'll be next week before I get to it. I have a pile of things that I must do first since this doesn't street until the 27th.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

Yes, the elderly not yet wheel chair bound use them regularly.

der Brucer

;D

singdaw

« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

Moon Pies!

You want DR JRand57 to bury Moon Pies in his new garden?     8)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »

One nice surprise in AUGUST RUSH - the gorgeous Alex O'Laughlin played Jonathan Rhys Myers' older brother in the film and was using his natural Irish accent in playing the part.

IMBD says he is Australian.

From the clips I had seen, and the awards he was nominated for, I was prepared to like the kid who stars in this.  Except for brief moments I wasn't overly keen on him, plus I was distracted by the fact he looks like Linda Hunt to me ;D.  After watching the movie I looked him up & realized he was Charlie in CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.  I did not like him in that either.  Apparently Johny Depp does & hand picked him for the role after working together in FINDING NEVERLAND.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »

And here, for your edification, is the RIVER DON itself! :D
Please note how quietly it flows.
It's a photograph, songdump.  Photographs don't come with sound effects.

::)

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »

A cardigan sweater does not a neighbor make.
Still, I think Fred Rogers would have made a better neighbor than that other PBS mainstay, Jeff Smith.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »

Going to drop off-line for a bit to do some writing and then I'll be back later.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »

DR Geeorge, what a perfect arrangement you have for your new stand, etc.

For the most part, it is...except that the only place that I have room to keep my vinyl records is against the wall opposite the TV, and that gets all the afternoon and evening sun. :P I don't really want to have the sun shining all over my (meltable) records.  I had originally wanted to put the records against the wall that the window is on, but there's a heater in the way.  However, I think I can put up a curtain right over the records to help protect them.  We'll see how it all works out.  But, other than that, it'll be a nice new floor plan. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

Mine came today, but it'll be next week before I get to it. I have a pile of things that I must do first since this doesn't street until the 27th.

I'm buried, too.  I have the John Dexter 12th Night from the late 60s, some BBC mysteries I've never heard of, then I'm about to get both the repackaged Marvel Heroes boxed set (luckily I've already seen most of those), Wild Wild West's 4th season, and a stack of individual titles.  But I'm most excited about Thief!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »

I went out to purchase a few groceries at lunch time.  While I was out, they had a fire drill in our office building.  Since I have been "volunteered" by my boss as a fire marshall for our group, it was not good that I was not there.  But we had been told that they would avoid holding the drill during the lunch "window," so how was I to know?

Besides, they haven't given me my promised orange vest for such occasions.   ;)
And orange goes so well with your eyes...

;D

JMK

« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »

You can tell 12th Night is from the late 60s because Tommy Steele is billed above Ralph Richardson.  Oy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

I wonder if there are other flowers with lunar names?
Moonflowers.

Duh.

Oh, Amy already got there.  Good for her!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 02:20:17 PM by S. Woody White »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »

Our local PBS station is showing Camelot tonight. Too bad our television picture is so bad.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2008, 02:29:41 PM »

I'm basically going to skip any televiewing tonight, save (maybe) Ugly Betty.  I have to be at work at six in the morn tomorrow, and if I'm going to be up and awake by that time, I'll need to get to bed early.

And, as if things weren't insane enough, they're predicting thunderstorms for the morrow.  It figures.   ::)

td

• td
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »

Evelyn Nesbit, Lawrence Welk, and Bing Crosby (a favorite of DR Megan) are at Holy Cross in Culver City as well.

As we all know, Evelyn Nesbit was born in Tarentum, PA; which is where the mall in which the Borders I work for is located. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

Our local PBS station is showing Camelot tonight. Too bad our television picture is so bad.

Our local is showing it tonight as well - they really put the LIVE in LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER, don't they?   ;D
Also, it's being shown in HiDef, which is set to be recorded on the dvr.
Tonight is pinochle night as well as LOST night.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »

Dear reader Kerry, what a lovely thing to say.  There are days when I don't feel much like a hero, today being one of them, so it was nice to hear.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

I've been out doing errands after the work session - we only had the end of the show to talk about and I gave my thoughts and ideas and now Mr. Druxman will go work on it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up