Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK  (Read 56675 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »

The rain clouds have finally cleared away and the sun has come out. SHould dry the ground out for me to be able to mow tomorrow morning, hopefully before it begins to heat up.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »

Page Five Dorothy and Glinda Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »

I put on 30 ROCK to watch while I cooked and ate lunch, and was devastated to learn that the local NBC affiliate had also preempted all programming to broadcast a repetitive storm warning for two hours of prime time instead of running a crawl on the screen and showing normal programming.

So, I missed 30 ROCK and THE OFFICE. I'll have to watch for reruns of the shows I missed.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »

So, I put in an old reliable, BONES, the second season episode where Brennan first works with Agent Sullivan who soon became her boy friend for a few episodes before he sailed off to the CAribbean. Loved that first episode as they began to learn about one another's quirks. It also featured Stephen Frye as Booth's psychiatrist, the first in a wonderful three episode arc for him.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »

Then, I began to watch J.A.G., the first disc in the 6th season box set. In the first episode - a two parter - Rabb found out that he had a half-brother living in Moscow. Never having seen the rest of the season, I don't know if there will be any more episodes with the two of them, but if there aren't, the writers certainly lost a PRIME character they could have built many episodes around since they seem SO anxious to have a lot of personal business with the stars as well as court martials (which is primarily the purpose of the show).

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »

The next episode dealt with a Cuban refugee whom a captain makes his personal mission to rescue and get to the United States.

Interesting to see Sean Murray guest starring on some of these episodes. Of course, once NCIS was spun off from J.A.G., the producer picked him up (in another role) to be a regular on NCIS.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »

I'm about halfway through the last episode on disc 1. I may be able to get through disc 2 tonight if there are no interruptions later this evening.

That will leave only four discs to go.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »

TV Reminders:

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES!

BROTHERS & SISTERS (season finale)!

SURVIVOR night on CBS with the final episode and reunion show.

NBC is rerunning two of the one hour OFFICE episodes tonight along with an SVU rerun.

And THE TUDORS, which I watched on Showtime on Demand last week. It's a very intense and moving episode.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »

Even though Bretty hasn't been with us lately, I spied him today on YouTube!

He attended the wedding of the daughter of a friend of ours in LA. It sounds like it was a beautiful wedding. I've only met the bride and groom once, when they came to our film out in LA, but they're a wonderful couple and we're very happy for them.

Bretty was inspired to set his impressions to music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppFuXae3shs

It's very a sweet and touching memento!

If he follows the same schedule from last year, he'll be back in about 11 months.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »

And THE TUDORS, which I watched on Showtime on Demand last week. It's a very intense and moving episode.

I thought about it after I went downstairs this morning and then I forgot again to add it to my list when I came back this afternoon.

Thanks for the reminder, DR Elmore. I'll definitely be recording it.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »

I'm heading down now to clean my bathroom, put up the folded laundry, and then get back to J.A.G.

WBBL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »

Congrats on the wonderful Store Opening, DR SWW!!!  Today at the self scans, you will probably see lots of flowers and cards!
Not that many cards, but buckets and buckets of bouquets.

Which, of course, don't always scan well at the self-scans.  I was busy through most of the day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »

it turns out I had taken pics of at least 50 different Stars' stars.

Did you see this one?   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »

Well, I had to conduct the children's and adult choirs again this morning, this time with very little notice.

I guess I'm getting pretty good at it, but the stress makes me really tired.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »

Awards in the Whoniverse:

The good news:

Steven Moffat has tonight been awarded the British Academy Television Award (BAFTA) for Best Writer, for the script of his 2007 Doctor Who episode "Blink". The Award was presented at the annual BAFTA Craft Awards ceremony, which honours those who work behind-the-scenes in the industry. Moffat won the award ahead of Jimmy McGovern (for "The Street"), Tony Marchant (for "The Mark of Cain") and Heidi Thomas (for "Cranford"). Full details can be found on the BAFTA website.
One of the highest accolades available to a British scriptwriter, it is Moffat's second BAFTA Award in recent weeks, having also won the BAFTA Cymru (Welsh BAFTAs) scriptwriting category, again for "Blink".

"Blink" has been winning awards all over the place, and deservedly so.  A Doctor Who tale where the action does not follow the Doctor, it has an interesting set of villians, a different kind of heroine, and lots of fun with "easter eggs."  On the DVD, there's even an easter egg about the "easter egg."

Now, however, for the bad news:

An investigation by the British broadcasting industry regulator OfCom has found that Doctor Who star Catherine Tate was unfairly denied the People's Choice Award at the 2005 British Comedy Awards, screened on the ITV network. The recipient of the award was to have been decided by a telephone vote from viewers.

BBC News reports that even though Tate won the most votes in the category, the prize was given to presenting duo Ant and Dec. This was done because pop star Robbie Williams had agreed to attend the ceremony and present a prize, but would only do so if it could be for Ant and Dec. As they had not won any of the jury-decided categories, it was decided that they should win the audience award to ensure Williams's attendance.

The Times quotes a spokesman for Tate as saying that the actress was an "innocent bystander" in the matter, and had no desire to comment. Ant and Dec have said that they will return their award, which will presumably now be given to Tate.

Our esteemed BK will, of course, find nothing unsurprising about this turn of events.  Personally, I would understand if the award had been given to Ant and Ben, but who the honk are Ant and Dec?  For that matter, who the honk is Robbie Williams?  And is he so big in England, or anywhere, that the British Comedy Awards would risk their credibility so he could honk them over?  I am boggled.

And that is the end of our news from the Whoniverse.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:45:11 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »

It really was such a weird and scary(!) scene.  As I was approaching the store, a cop car pulled up by the sidewalk, the cop got out, drew his gun, and then took a position where he could see the front entrance.  Then as I looked further down the sidewalk, I saw a couple more cars parked down there, and there were a cluster of cops also with their guns drawn standing on the other side of the entrance.  Meanwhile, people were still walking out of Ralph's - and they didn't seem to be flustered or anything.  However, if anyone wanted to go in, the cops were waving them past.  I actually did stick around for a minute or two, but then just kept on walking... and walking... and walking...

It reminds me of working at the bank and having the police run past our department with their guns out.  At least you could leave the area ;D

Thank you for the Penny report & photos.  What a great surprise :D

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »

Jose-

How was the concert and how was Dinner? Pictures Please!

Jane

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »

So, I put in an old reliable, BONES, the second season episode where Brennan first works with Agent Sullivan who soon became her boy friend for a few episodes before he sailed off to the CAribbean. Loved that first episode as they began to learn about one another's quirks. It also featured Stephen Frye as Booth's psychiatrist, the first in a wonderful three episode arc for him.

We finally watched the latest episode, thought it was terrific!  HOUSE had a good episode too.  We thought MEDIUM was just ok.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

It reminds me of working at the bank and having the police run past our department with their guns out.  At least you could leave the area ;D...
"Stop that man!  He's got a donut!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.   ;D

Jane

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »

DR Danise, CONGRATULATIONS on your new HD TV.  Vibes your foot is only bruised and heals quickly.

DR Dakota, Glad to hear you are enjoying your new entertainment center. :)

Jane

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »

SWW, good thing groaning isn't permitted ;) :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »

For dinner tonight:

Salisbury Steaks, with mashed taters and mushroom gravy and carrots...

And popovers!  I've never tried making popovers, but over at Michael Ruhlman's blog he's talked about them in the last couple of days, and immediately after I found a recipe for them in Creating Chefs (the same book that gave me a great recipe for Zuppa de Zucca for yesterday's dinner).  So it is fated that I make popovers!

(And poor DR Jose will have to "settle" for Genghis Cohen.  *le sigh*   ;))

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »

I'd better get going.  There is food to be made.

Iron Chef America is a re-run tonight.  DR Matt is forgiven for not including it in his media alert earlier.   ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

Very nice review by Suskin.  And I had about six orders waiting for me this morning, so maybe this will help get us even closer to being sold out.

Congrats, BK!  I'm glad I bought two copies!

;)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:07:27 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »

I enjoyed all the Mother's Day greetings and the lovely cards.  Thank you.

I have had a nice, if unusual, Mother Day.  We did  things I never imagined would be part of my special day.  We went to Costco and got me a new computer.  Then we went to the Home Depot for a wireless connection & a webcam so I can Skype with the boys.  Then we went to the Lowe's hardware but didn't find anything we needed.  Sherlock went to the last two store where he received loads of attention.

Instead of a laptop I got a small Gateway.  Keith is working on it now.  I'm not when it will be up and running.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:08:13 PM by Jane »

George

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

Hi Folks and a very Happy Mothers day.

I wasn't on yesterday because I was quite busy.

It seems that sometimes things converge and take matters out of our hands.

Last week, my cable box starting messing up as you all well know.  Well, on Friday, I got the gift from my uncle.  That and the money I got from work made a nice sum.  

After some thought as to what to do with the money, I thought what better use to put it to then to not just change out the cable box but to change it to an HD box.  That meant I needed both a HD TV and a new stand for it.  

I was able to get both.  I found a Sony 32” on sale at Best Buy and I got the stand at Walmart.  Brighthouse is at the mall so I was also able to exchange the old box for the new HD box.  The guy told me that the old box was an old box and I never should have received it.  He said it was going to go straight into the trash.

Then came the struggle to get the old tube set and TV stand out of the house.

In trying to get the old set down, it slipped and fell on my left foot.  I don’t think anything broken but I must say I danced quite a jig and said some rather choice words.  My entire foot is black and blue now and is quite sore.  

I managed to get the old set out to the curb then came the wrestling match to get the old stand out.  It fell apart when I got it about half way.  That was both good and bad.  It made it easier to get the pieces to the curb.

Next I had to struggle to get the box with the new stand into the house and get it assembled.  Well, that was a gas and took longer then I thought.  It was nine o’clock last night before I was finished and I was so tired and my foot hurt so bad that I just went to bed.

When I got up today, I finished with unboxing the new TV.  It was harder then you would think to get it out of the box because I’m so short.  I thought I was going to have to cut the front of the box to get to it.

I had not problem figuring out to attach the DVD player and the cable box.  The picture is, of course, wonderful!  The 32” size is perfect for my small living room.  

So there is the agony and the ecstasy of getting my new TV.  
I’m just taking the day to relax my foot and enjoy my new set.  

Congrats on the new TV, Danise!  I finally got mine set up on Tuesday...I love it!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »

~~~Quick Foot Recovery Vibes for DR Danise!!~~~

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

For Mother's Day, I promised my mother two days of ME.  The first was somewhat dampened - well, literally, soaked - by the weather.  Rob and I tried to take Gram to Newport on the Levee, but it was just too rainy and blustery for her to walk from the parking lot.  We ended up at Max & Erma's, which wasn't too busy.  The food was fine, including the complimentary sundae bar, but the service was lousy.  After we took Rob back to UC, Mom and I did a couple of shopping errands and went to visit my reclusive aunt.

I got home just in time to receive a phone call from Richard, who's arrived safely in Wisconsin for his last residency week at the seminary.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »

I enjoyed all the Mother's Day greetings and the lovely cards.  Thank you.

I have had a nice, if unusual, Mother Day.  We did  things I never imagined would be part of my special day.  We went to Costco and got me a new computer.  Then we went to the Home Depot for a wireless connection & a webcam so I can Skype with the boys.  Then we went to the Lowe's hardware but didn't find anything we needed.  Sherlock went to the last two store where he received loads of attention.

Instead of a laptop I got a small Gateway.  Keith is working on it now.  I'm not when it will be up and running.

Hope you like your new computer. What a fun thing to get on Mother's Day!

George

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »

Right now, I'm at my sister's house and they're all playing Phase 10.  I only got here about an hour ago (everyone else got here at noon) because I had to work concessions for a local ballet production of "Coppélia," which didn't start until 2:00 AND they had TWO intermissions! :P That meant that we concessionaires had to stay until after the second intermission to clean up.  

Here at my sister's, it's not that exciting watching other people play cards.

;)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:17:39 PM by George »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up