Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FORTUNE COOKIE  (Read 84421 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:THE FORTUNE COOKIE
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

Billy Barty
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

Little people's dance...
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2008, 08:11:15 AM »

Bix Beiderbecke, trumpter.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2008, 08:11:25 AM »

The Babbitt and the Bromide   :D

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2008, 08:12:08 AM »

BUSTER BROWN

Shoes

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »

Oops.  Thanks DR derBRUCER.....I withdraw my Betty Boop
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2008, 08:14:06 AM »

Billy Boy [Oh Where Have You Been, Charming Billy?]

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »

"Bones" Brennan, Seely Booth's affectionate name for forensic anthrolpologist Temperence Brennan on BONES.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »

Crazy Man!  I was at the local Goodwill Store today, where I like to browse once a week or so for this and that...including books and Cd's and photographs....ANYWHO......there was a Circuit City Video Camera Tripod Box....that said it was the TRIPOD, and a camera carrying case.

Since I bought a USED SMALL FORMAT video camera earlier this year for about $30 on EBAY, I thought I would buy the tripod, since my "new" camera didn't fit well on my BIG VHS camera tripod...about 25 years old.

I pushed it around in my cart and put it back, then picked it back up....it was ONLY $5.99.

WELL....I got it home and inside the camera case was, you guessed it. a JVC GRAXM225 camera, battery pack, battery charger, and (most important) the instruction book, plus one blank tape.

All for $5.99!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:12 AM »

With a digital zoom, whatever that is.

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »

DR JRand57, withdrawing his Boop, but extending his Zoom...      ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:31:32 AM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »

Barney Blake, police reporter

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »

Well, I'm going out to lunch today with best friend John, so I need to head down now to check the mail, clean up, and probably watch the last ten minutes of that JAG episode I didn't quite finish last night.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:25 AM »

Boris Badenov
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:56 AM »

And only because no one else (save perhaps MBarnum) will know this, Oregon's Secretary of State and DS Betsy's close personal friend and former boss

Bill Bradbury

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »

BK, I'll take Promises, Promises if it's still available.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:28:37 AM by JMK »

singdaw

« Reply #196 on: May 12, 2008, 08:30:02 AM »

Bilbo Baggins [Tolkien]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:48 AM »

I had a very pleasant weekend.

I slept in Saturday until approximately 10:25 a.m.  That was WONderful.  Since I had gone to bed at roughly 10:30 p.m. Friday, that was nearly 12 hours.

I can't much account for the rest of the day, but there were a couple of phone calls, including an advance Mother's Day call from my mom thanking me for her card, her gift and her corsage (white roses) and letting me know she would be at my cousin Debra's house Sunday afternoon for Mother's Day lunch.

I know I napped later, and then settled in with some TV, catching up on my DVR cache from Thursday night.

Yesterday was a whole different ball of wax (and how many here have ever seen a "ball of wax", different or otherwise???)  I was up at the crack of something or other a.m. -- surely before 8.  I cleaned myself up and went shopping, getting a cup of Peet's coffee and then standing in line awaiting the opening of Trader Joe's where I splurged on many wondrous things of the consumable variety.

Once home, I put a load of clothes into the washing machine and then settled in to watch the first of three -- Count 'Em THREE -- motion pictures on DVD.  Motion pictures, I might add, that have been languishing in a pile of other unwatched motion pictures on DVD.

First up was "Deep in My Heart", the MGM musical bio of Sigmund Romberg.  Jose Ferrer** gives a splendid performance and there are many wonderful numbers in the film, none more scintillating or sensuous than the Cyd Charisse-James Mitchell dance to "Serenade" from "The Desert Song."  I don't know if Charisse was ever more amply displayed, or performed choregraphy as complex, as in this number.  Helen Traubel is sheer delight as Romberg friend Anna Mueller.  Her numbers are wonderful.  Unlike most musicals of that era, this one had quite a bit of melancholy attached to it, including the death of Dorothy Donnelly, one of Romberg's book writers.  Merle Oberon as Dorothy was magnificently beautiful at every turn, even on her death chaise.  Traubel sang a gorgeous "Auf Wiedersehn" for her that can only be said to prime the tear ducts for the finale when Romberg, at a concert in Carnegie Hall, sings a "new" song dedicated "to/for/of" his wife:  "When I Grow Too Old To Dream" is the song and it prompts bawling of an unseemly nature.  (This song as sung by the MGM chorus and the chorus's performance of "Time For Parting" at the end of "It's Always Fair Weather" are among the most exquisite, melancholy finales of any musical film).

MGM wunderkind Roger Edens took sole producer credit on this film, one of the rare non-Arthur Freed "producer " credits for a product of the Freed Unit.  Edens invested much hope into this film, and under Stanly Donen's able, but not wholly inspired, direction, it works pretty well.  But, and this is a reserved "but", it lacks a necessary "pizazz" to make it wholly remarkable.  It's beautiful and has a fantastic score.  

While CinemaScope was a "new" process when this film was being made, MGM opted to film "Deep in My Heart in a 1.75:1 spherical 35 mm format (according to IMDb), but it suffers, IMO, from some of the same problems several MGM musicals done in CinemaScope suffered in those early years of widescreen mania: The film's sound stage settings are very painfully apparent.**   Color schemes are also a bit odd, IMO, with various hues of reddish brown and a muddy ochre being used liberally throughout the art direction (mostly in the form of wall paint and furniture finishes) and making some of the scenes appear flat, rather than popping off the screen.  It is, otherwise, a beautifil film, well-paced and one of my favorites, but one which I always seem to approach with reservation.

With the ducts cleared, as it were, I turned my attention to "The Broadway Melody of 1936", a film I had not seen and one I thoroughly enjoyed.  What a treat to see a young Robert Taylor in a role John Payne or Tyrone Power would have done at Fox!  Payne could sing, the other two not, but no matter.  Eleanor Powell dazzles with her trademark smiles and various dancing poses in closeup. Ditto her wonderful tapping/toe point/backbends in performance, and don't foget those rapid turns she tossed off with abandon.  Jack Benny was fun as a radio/newspaper gossip columnist, as was a recurring routine of a pissed-off Robert Taylor storming through a news room and sending papers flying as he raced by many desks, culminating in his socking Benny in the nose.  Una Merkel was lots of fun, too, and so were Buddy and Vilma Ebsen.  As my first exposure to Ebsen was the same as many folks' here (Jed Clampett in "The Beverly Hillbilles"), it's a wonderful thing to see this tall, rubber-bodied actor/dancer do his late-1930s schtick for the camera. In "...Melody of 1938", he interacts beautifully with Judy Garland, and I can certainly understand why MGM would cast him as the Tin Man in "The Wizard of Oz", although his dancing style better suited the Scarecrow (the role he was originally cast for before switching with Ray Bolger).  What a shame for him that he became deathly ill from inhaling the aluminum dust of the early makeup* (I believe that was while Mamoulian was the director).  Fortunately, we got a splendid (ageless) Tin Man from Jack Haley.  

In "The Broadway Melody of 1938",  we again get Taylor and Powell and Ebsen, but in different roles and joined by George Murphy, Binnie Barnes, Sophie Tucker and Judy Garland.  There's a little bit of everything tossed into this pot and the movie probably suffers a bit from too much excess.  But we get the amazing "Dear Mr. Gable (You Made Me Love You)" number that Roger Edens arranged for Judy Garland.  Tucker does "One of These Days".  Binnie Barnes plays a regal ex-chorus girl bitch.  

In both "...Melody of..." films, we get treated to a gent named Robert Wildhack.  In the 1936 Melody, he portrays Hornblow, a man who has done a scientific study of snores.  In the 1938 Melody, his character is called The Sneezer, and he is a man who has done a scientific study of sneezes.  Whether this is your cup of tea or not, his observations of sneezes and snores is quite dead-on and amusing.

By the end of "...Melody of 1938", I was totally "melodied" out, but that was fine as it was time to start watching the finale of "Survivor."

*Corrected, as per der Brucer's post that follows.

** Corrected, as per comments from DR MattH.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:52:31 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »

The camera works!

singdaw

« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2008, 08:47:52 AM »

Binnie Barnes plays a regal ex-chorus girl bitch.

Thanks for your run-down, DR Ron Pulliam.  And did you know that you just added to today's list?   :)

singdaw

« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »

Billy Barnes, songwriter

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »

Thanks for your run-down, DR Ron Pulliam.  And did you know that you just added to today's list?   :)

I actually did that one before the long post.

But as a consolation prize for you:

"Big" Ben, the character Scatman Crothers played in "Lady Sings the Blues".
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:50:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »

Beef Brisket

singdaw

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »

bread & butter

Jennifer

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2008, 08:59:30 AM »

I am not sure if that story about little David's father from IDOL is completely true.

When i was watching the Early Show this morning, they were talking to david's voice teacher (for like 6+ years).

He said that he knew the family well and had spoken to david's dad yesterday.

The voice teacher said that david's father was told not to go to rehearsals anymore. But not because of poor behavior. But because it was deemed more fair that no contestant have a family member in rehearsals.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:01:09 AM by Jennifer »

singdaw

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »

Beach Blanket Babylon

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »

What a shame for him that he acquired lead poisoning from the early makeup... (

Actually, it was the aluminum dust which he inhaled.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »

I am not sure if that story about little David's father from IDOL is completely true.

When i was watching the Early Show this morning, they were talking to david's voice teacher (for like 6+ years).

He said that he knew the family well and had spoken to david's dad yesterday.

The voice teacher said that david's father was told not to go to rehearsals anymore. But not because of poor behavior. But because it was deemed more fair that no contestant have a family member in rehearsals.

BELIEVE the "stage father" story, DR Jennifer.  David's voice teacher is PAID by David's father.

singdaw

« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »

Tony Award nominees announced tomorrow morning.

singdaw

« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »

which he inhaled.

Alas.  If only he had followed Bill Clinton's example...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up