Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS  (Read 23566 times)

Emily

Re:IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2004, 09:28:42 AM »

Both sides of my hair are now refusing to flip.

Instead of pretty, fantastically wonderful hair I have adequate, satisfactorially boring hair.

This is, pardon the pun, flippin' annoying.  :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2004, 09:49:02 AM »

Ou et tous les personnnes qui ecrit ici??? (Fractured French I'm sure)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 09:49:20 AM by Ben »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2004, 09:52:47 AM »

JMK -- I'm with you when it comes to Sunday in the Park with George.  That is the unnamed Sondheim show I mentioned earlier this week as being the one show of his that I do not like.  At the anniversary GALA in March, we are closing with Sunday, which with all twenty-eight artists singing the parts, sounds really spectacular (but I still don't like the show).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2004, 09:55:31 AM »

I just read that Mattel is breaking up Barbie & Ken and Barbie's new boyfriend will be "Australian Beach Bum Blaine".   Obviously the doll's sales have been slowing down and they hope that this will help sales and open a new market in Australia (Tomofov - are you getting a Blaine doll?).  Look for Barbie and Ken to get back together the next time sales slow down.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2004, 10:00:05 AM »

Sunday In The Park With George - even though I happen to be very moved by the piece.  But I will admit that the tape/DVD of the Broadway production can seem a bit flat at times.  Have you seen the show live?

I agree, Jose: Sunday in the Park With George was one of the most moving experiences I've had in the theatre.  But when you dare to suggest, Jose, that a musical is best enjoyed live (as authors Lupine and Sondheim intended it to be enjoyed) you're risking being called elite and a huge essay on how there's no good food in New York.  Careful!   ::)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2004, 10:01:47 AM »

Hmmm... Friday the 13th, and a VCR that taped, but didn't tape... Hmmm...

<cue spooky music>

-At least it's a beautifully sunny day here in Richmond - the weekend is looking nice too!  We're in the mid-50s!

OH!  The show I did some "last minute emergency" work for about two weeks ago here in Richmond, opened last weekend.  The show is "The Last Session".  Well, the reviews - all two so far - have been... well... kind to put it kindly.  However, here's the first paragraph of the one that appeared on gayrichmond.com.  The second sentence is a keeper!

"Shon M. Stacy gives voice to Gideon in the musical The Last Session at Fielden's Cabaret Theatre. With Stacy's singing, one can only hope it truly is the last session. On the other hand, the performance of young VCU theater major Matt Shofner (Buddy) in this latest Richmond Triangle Players (RTP) production suggests the beginning of an impressive career."

Ouch!  Unfortunately, the title of the show more or less sets up that kind of review.  At least none of the reviews mention "my" piano playing. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2004, 10:07:19 AM »

I agree, Jose: Sunday in the Park With George was one of the most moving experiences I've had in the theatre.  But when you dare to suggest, Jose, that a musical is best enjoyed live (as authors Lupine and Sondheim intended it to be enjoyed) you're risking being called elite and a huge essay on how there's no good food in New York.  Careful!   ::)

Gotcha ;)

However, I greatly enjoy the record/CD of the show more than I do the video/DVD.  When I was in college, I would play the OCR before any major concert, recital, etc... while I was getting ready, cleaning, etc. in my apartment.  -And the stories of how fast(!) Mandy wanted to take "Putting It Together" in the studio... WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2004, 10:10:47 AM »

DSL update.  I called the phone company back, because I wanted someone to give me a reason the date was pushed, and I got a great gal on the line who kicked some butt and now I'll have it tomorrow morning, as long as the testing on the line is through (that's why it was pushed initially, we found out) - I had a tech support gal helping and she confirmed it would be up tomorrow morning (really midnight tonight).  So, I'll call tech support back then and they'll help me finish (we were almost through doing the installation and I've left everything plugged in).  One interesting thing is that my laptop is not "bound" to TCP/IP or something, so I have to use the Eternet card they supplied.  If anyone has a Dell laptop and IS "bound" let me know if that's something that's easy to do.  It would be much nicer-looking to have the yellow ethernet plug go directly into the computer rather than the card sticking out.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2004, 10:18:27 AM »

Ou et tous les personnnes qui ecrit ici??? (Fractured French I'm sure)

Good try :)

(being serious)

"Et" means and.  You meant "est".

And "ou" means or.  The one with the accent grave means where (but I don't remember which key gets you that).

I won't  correct anything else.

Btw, I did pilates yesterday and today.Yeah for exercising!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2004, 10:22:21 AM »

BK - Where exactly is the card sticking out?  Sounds to me like your motherboard/tower doesn't have an internal card that has and ethernet connector.  You can buy an internal ethernet card, but then you would have to install said ethernet card.  And depending upon which "generation" of computer you have, that may or may not be possible.

*The Dell site should be able to give you some specs once you input your model number.

So, that was helpful, wasn't it?!?!?

Well, I'm off to do some laundry... Be back later.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2004, 10:24:05 AM »

All this internet technology discussion makes me want to crawl into a fetal ball.  I'll never catch up with technology.

I'm too heavy in throes of re-writes to watch or listen to anything.  

Ben, I love listening to the BBC radio on the internet.  I'm particularly fond of BBC4 which has lots of drama and talk and comedy on, which you can listen to at any time.  My favs are the comedy game show JUST A MINUTE...particularly whenever Paul Merton or Clement Freud are on.  THE 99P CHALLENGE, THE NEWS QUIZ (I stay pretty up to date with the British news), CONCRETE COW, BOOTHBY GRAFFOE, so many others...

Ben

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2004, 10:32:14 AM »

Jennifer, thanks for the help. So the whole sentence was fractured, is that what you're kindly trying to say?  ;)

I knew there were mistakes, just couldn't remember what they were. I don't have occasion to speak French very often and while some of the words remain in my brain, they don't always come out the way they are supposed to. I always forget the ASCII key combo for the accent. Tenses are also a problem for me. I could always speak decently in present tense, but past tense or future tense made my mind into mush.

Ben

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2004, 10:39:40 AM »

I found an ASCII table to put accent grave on a u

It's alt 151

:D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2004, 10:59:46 AM »

DR BEN my CD's came today!  Thanks!  I have something exciting to listen to this evening!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2004, 11:02:55 AM »

There is a difference between elite and smug.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »

Speaking of great British radio shows, there were two comedy quiz shows that I listened to intermittently over the years since college, MY WORD & MY MUSIC, both panels of which were anchored by those two droll raconteurs, Frank Muir and Dennis Norden.  Though they haven't been on the air for years, Public Radio used to play repeats of the shows on various outlets all the time.  They were funded locally out here for years by David Hockney.  Very witty and erudite.  

My Word always ended with Muir and Norden having to give their versions of how famous phrases came into being, which usually resulted in outrageous puns as the punchline.  One I remember was the origin of "Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nelly"...which became a very funny, long, convuluted story about a trip that Byron and Shelly were taking in Europe and finally as they were checking into a hotel Shelly brushed past a nun, whereupon Byron held him back and said, "Wait till the nun signs, Shelly."

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2004, 11:21:44 AM »

Jennifer, thanks for the help. So the whole sentence was fractured, is that what you're kindly trying to say?  ;)

I knew there were mistakes, just couldn't remember what they were. I don't have occasion to speak French very often and while some of the words remain in my brain, they don't always come out the way they are supposed to. I always forget the ASCII key combo for the accent. Tenses are also a problem for me. I could always speak decently in present tense, but past tense or future tense made my mind into mush.

Actually I wasn't trying to make you feel bad, which is why I stopped. I thought it was sweet that you tried to write it in French. And I understood it. So it must have been good.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2004, 11:26:21 AM »

I won't groan. I won't groan. I won't groan.

I do love British comedy radio shows. We don't have much to compare them to over here. We have some comic shows on NPR, like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me from Chicago Public Radio and Says You, from Boston but they are the exception. The great entertainment that radio can provide ebbs away daily. It's just more shock jocks and news ranting and the same Top 40 schlock over and over with a few outposts holding on. Ah, well.

The punch line to CPs post reminds me of the punch line to another shaggy dog story (how did long convoluted stories get that name anyway). Not as funny as Shelly, but it pops into mind anyway.

"If the foo sh*ts, wear it."

Also,

"Silly Rabbi, Kicks are for Trids"

and finally,

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 11:27:03 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2004, 11:27:21 AM »

"And maybe we can find a banana for your monkey."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2004, 11:27:38 AM »

"Mom is on the roof and we can't get her down."

Ben

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2004, 11:31:18 AM »

Oh, I knew you weren't trying to make me feel bad. I appreciate the help. I need to get at least to Montreal, if not back to France (after a crash course in catch-up French) so I can actually speak and understand or to listen and to speak which is the literal translation of my first French textbook in 7th grade. Ecouter et Parler

Ben

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2004, 11:33:30 AM »

I know the mom on the roof story but I forget the banana for your monkey joke. I'm sure if I google that it will come in.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2004, 11:36:29 AM »

Woman with a baby gets on a train....sits next to a man....man keeps telling her that her baby is ugly...woman calls conductor....complains...conductor offers her a better seat....and then tells her.....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2004, 11:55:53 AM »

My favs are the comedy game show JUST A MINUTE...particularly whenever Paul Merton or Clement Freud are on.
I used to listen to that in Canada! Loved it.
You think you're behind technically? -- I don't know how to listen to radio programs on my computer. Never tried, maybe I can't. I'm in the middle of rewrites, too. Trying to figure out how to keep the stuff they've asked me to add - which has put another 15 minutes into the story - at the same time that I'm supposed to cut 15 minutes. Hmmm. It's a puzzlement. (A King and I reference)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2004, 11:58:34 AM »

Just be careful of your arc and journey DRPANNI!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »

Oh and don't forget your backstory.

Panni

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2004, 11:59:40 AM »

Now I'm wondering... Was that show I like called JUST A MINUTE? Who knows? Anyway, Clement Freud was on it and I need to get back to work.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2004, 12:00:55 PM »

Thank you for the arc, journey and backstory reminders, JRand 53. ...Now where did I put that gun?....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2004, 12:02:17 PM »

Someone should tell them that this ISN'T the answer to everything.

It's like that exercise they gave in a playwrighting course when everyone had to write a play that had a mattress, a bottle of ketchup, and a Bible in it.   >:(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2004, 12:02:54 PM »

Ouch!  I been shot!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up