Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KEEP ON KEEPING ON  (Read 33257 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:KEEP ON KEEPING ON
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2004, 05:41:04 PM »

Crap!  Did I miss the Baftas on BBCAmerica?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2004, 05:44:22 PM »

You want to know why, ultimately, The DVD Place will become popular (without anyone really knowing about it, it's already getting quite a bit of traffic)?  Go read Nick Redman's followup to my One From the Heart thoughts.  
http://dvd.allaccessworld.com
Just read it. Excellent. I particularly liked (and laughed at) his reference to Mr. C as the Willy Wonka of film.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2004, 05:47:07 PM »

TOMOVOZ....I am sure Jimmy and Rocky did wear curtains at one time or another.....  just NOT in the movies.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2004, 05:52:02 PM »

Yes, for those who thought I was talking about Mr. Redman's column, I was specifically speaking about his response to my thoughts on One From the Heart on the message board.  His column, of course, is excellent, too.

Chat in a mere nine minutes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2004, 05:52:27 PM »

LOL Jack.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2004, 05:57:46 PM »

I'm enjoying the Francois Villion pictures.  I've been intrigued by this character ever since I found a tattered copy of the Justin Huntly McCarthy play, If I Were King in our school library when I was about thirteen.  I also have several copies of the novel (one a lovely copy with a dj and photos from the filmed operetta THE VAGABOND KING, based on the book and play).  Years later in a bookstore in Shreveport, LA., I found my own tattered copy of the play which I treasure (would love to do it some day) and I am a fan of the Ronald Colman movie as well.
I'm enjoying the Francois Villion pictures.  I've been intrigued by this character ever since I found a tattered copy of the Justin Huntly McCarthy play, If I Were King in our school library when I was about thirteen.  I also have several copies of the novel (one a lovely copy with a dj and photos from the filmed operetta THE VAGABOND KING, based on the book and play).  Years later in a bookstore in Shreveport, LA., I found my own tattered copy of the play which I treasure (would love to do it some day) and I am a fan of the Ronald Colman movie as well.

Oh, my God, another Villon fan!  I first saw the Ronald Colman movie on TV in college and thought, "This should be a musical."  I didn't discover The Vagabond King till many years later.  Yes, I have McCarthy's play and novel, and maybe about five French editions and five different English translations of his poems.

There is a running Villon theme in my novel Any Other Season (which will yes be on line whenever I get my web page up), including a parody--two parodies, actually, of his best known poem, "La Ballade des dames du temps jadis" (The Ballade of Ladies of Bygone Days).

The French parody is "La Ballade des drames du temps jadis" and has the refrain "Mais où sont les pièces d'antan?"  The English version is "The Ballade of Ladies of Bygone Plays", and the refrain is "But what's become of last year's shows?"  Full of Broadway jokes.

I guess I should post them here, just out of simple vanity, although the poems are a bit long.  Now, as Molly Brown says, "I was hoping someone would ask."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 07:56:54 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2004, 05:58:32 PM »

Chat in a mere two minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2004, 06:01:14 PM »

Chat in a mere no minutes.  In other words, chat be open.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2004, 06:25:21 PM »

Mr BK says we need MORE people in chat....it is sparkling!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2004, 06:38:37 PM »

WAY too many computer frustrations today.
My computer still won't do the chat room.  I don't get those little blanks where you put your name, or a button that lets you in.
Joy's computer deleted AOL.  So I got a disc and reinstalled it.  And now she has AOL, but no connection to websites.
So, much as I'd like to, I can't chat.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »

We missed everyone!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2004, 06:56:12 PM »

Despite absences, chat was loverly - it isn't quantity, even though some of my ravings may have led you to believe otherwise - it's quality, and that we had in spades, heart, clubs and diamonds.

Emily

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2004, 07:02:32 PM »

whoops - I guess I missed chat

:(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2004, 07:14:49 PM »

Good Evening!

-Again...

Chat was lively and sparkling.  And what we lacked in quantity, we sure as hell made up in quality.  And quip-ity!

I got the slow cooker cleaned out - which was very easy to do.  Then took some garbage out... and the ground - and the cars - were covered with snow!  It seems to have slowed down now, but we'll see how much more is there in the morning.

And now I'm flipping channels like crazy... "Ellen Degeneres" on Oxygen; the MTM/DvD "The Gin Game" on PBS; "Taste of Harlem" on FoodTV; "Coupling" on BBCAmerica; etc., etc., etc...  -And I need to flip over to the weather on the 10:00 news on the local Fox affiliate in a little bit too.  In any case...

I am much more calmed down right now.  Much more.  -Ah, a Fantasticks reference!  And if my roomie happens to get home before I turn in, I may actually be able to be civil.  But I am hoping to turn in early, since I want and need to get an early start tomorrow morning.

DR Noel - Do you access HHW through the "internal" browser in AOL?  Or do you open an "outside" IE window?  I've found that sometimes when I turn my laptop on, AOL (9.0) kind of hijacks my system, and I have to browse via AOL.  Otherwise, I usually browse outside of AOL.  Mainly so I have more screen space to browse - no pesky tool bars to get in the way.  Oh, what was I trying to say?  Well... I hope you get yours and Joy's computer woes un-woed.

Until later...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 07:16:32 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2004, 07:15:39 PM »

Jane, yes, I have got Janet's email.  Thanks.  I've just been remiss in emailing her.  In rewrite throes and having to read a ton of novels with a possibility of maybe wanting to adapt.  It's amazing the tripe that people want to do.

Maybe not so amazing considering the tripe that has been done.  ;D

One of these days Janet might call you and coax you up to Ashland for a visit. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2004, 07:22:10 PM »

TOMOVOZ....I am sure Jimmy and Rocky did wear curtains at one time or another.....  just NOT in the movies.
As designed by Bob Mackie?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2004, 08:12:16 PM »

Goodnight, All You Swellegant People!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2004, 08:20:23 PM »

I think the design of POPEYE was superlative, and the casting was terrific. But that score for the film just kills it for me. To my ear, those songs were horrible.

I know why I like SUPERGIRL. Faye Dunaway is a hoot and a half, and very few men fill a pair of jeans like the ever gorgeous Hart Bochner.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2004, 08:24:48 PM »

So, DR Matt, what did you think of tonight's Alias?

I thought that giving Grunberg (as Weiss) more to do was a good move.  He's underused.  But the comedy bit with Weisman (Marshall) went over the top.

And the sneeks for the next ep gave too much info (not that we haven't guessed).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2004, 08:50:11 PM »

I got back from my sister's a while ago and boy are my arms tired.  No, I didn't fly, I swept...and swept and swept.  My sister having a new house built and has to do certain things to help keep the costs down.  Anyway, one of the things is to keep the areas clean and there was A LOT of drywall dust EVERYWHERE!  Fortunately, she bought some surgical masks, but still a lot of dust was inhaled.  I've been blowing my nose for the last few minutes and, well... it's pretty gross.  I will be doing a lot of laundry tomorrow and since it's Presidents' Day, I don't have to work.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2004, 08:50:28 PM »

DR William F. Orr, in looking for my play I discovered I also have the libretto to THE VAGABOND KING.  I also have some sheet music from the show...movie version actually, starring Dennis King...The Song of the Vagabonds.  I also recently picked up a CD of Vagabond King (coupled with Roberta) starring the late, great Alfred Drake as Villon.  I also have a curious verse play Villon (or a "lyric drama", as it is subtitled) by one Robert Gordon Anderson and there's a bio around here somewhere by one Wyndham.  The play is not particularly memorable.  

But I've read little of Villon's poetry and know only the sketchy details of his life.  Most of my fascination comes from the McCarthy play/book and Ronald Colman.  By the by, Rathbone was, I believe, nominated for an Oscar for his role of Louis, the Spider King from the Colman film, If I Were King.  That poem I used to know by memory and did a fair imitation of Colman reciting it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »

Good night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2004, 09:21:11 PM »

Seems like a very quiet long weekend for you guys on the other side of the big peaceful pond.  Until introduced to his music by DR Jose, I was not really aware of Matt Bogart's material. I have just discovered he is on my Kander & Ebb CD singing "Kiss Of The Spider Woman". Now there is musical waiting for yet another life - as a movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2004, 09:24:18 PM »

GOOD EVENING!

I hope I am not interupting anything.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2004, 09:25:37 PM »

GOOD EVENING!

I hope I am not interupting anything.
You did that in your very best Hitchcock impersonation, right?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I iz here.  Iz you?

George

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2004, 09:45:40 PM »

I iz here.  I wuz peroozing dvds.allaccessworld.com/ (isn't that a good thing?) and it led me to www.bfi.org.uk/ and www.dvdtimes.co.uk/, where I was reading the announcement of the region 2 releases of The New Adventures of Wonder Woman - Volume 2 and The Dukes of Hazzard - Volume 2 for 18th August 2003, neither of which are available in the States at all...let alone season 2!  Check this out:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 09:50:26 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2004, 09:46:16 PM »

And this:

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2004, 09:46:40 PM »

TCB your "interuptions" are always welcome (well nearly always!) here in my little corner of cyberspace. It may be up to us to post the next twenty items of fascinating news. We don't want HHW breaking any records of which shall be all ashamed.
I promise I shall be back  in an hour or so.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2004, 09:48:53 PM »

Thanks George. No offence but another two releases that will not be getting me to open my wallet - ever!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up