Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SHINY SHOES  (Read 26056 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:SHINY SHOES
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »

I didn't know they had a paint-by-number kit of the WICKED logo!

Dollartree is one of our biggest customers at work.  Go to the candy department and check out the Cartoon Candy Sticks (Spiderman, Flintstones, etc.) and the gummis.  Not only do they buy a lot, the pay their bills promptly unlike some other chains that I won't mention.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Danise

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2004, 07:30:08 PM »

We need to see it, Jrand!

Yes, Hoss saw the leprauchauns.  

I love DollarTree and all the Everythings a Dollar Stores.  How nice to be able to see a parent be able to tell a child they can have anything they want in the store.  

Goodnight all.  Have a great evening!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2004, 08:07:17 PM »

It always makes me laugh when I hear young people don't like black and white films and don't like letterboxed movies on TV since a certain percentage of music videos are shot black and white and are often letterboxed, and neither seems to phase them then.

As far as I'm concerned, when something is good and grips your attention, you don't even think about those things.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2004, 08:38:19 PM »

Some of my adult friends can not cope with letter box on their TV screens. Perhaps they see it as a waste of the unused portion of the screen.  Sometimes I try and imagine some old favourites being remade in colour but then I think as I am watching them - there is no need of colour at all. Some that spring to mind are "The Card" and "Billy Liar" which I enjoy. I wonder if "King and Country" has had a dVd release. Must check that out as it is my favourite antiwar movie.
OK I am rambling. Just one of those days.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2004, 08:43:21 PM »

Thanks, all DR's, for your good wishes. It went so well, they laughed at all the jokes, and even bought books afterward. Woody and Brucer made the trek from the bottom of Delaware - what the hell, only a 5 hour round trip... - and they brought red roses, which they flang on the stage at the end of the Traviata aria, hollering BRAVA! BRAVA, DIVA!! It got a huge laugh. Now, they are on their way home - I expect they will check in once they arrive some time after midnight here, after 9 where most of y'all are.

Anyhow, Woody and Brucer, thanks so much for coming. I had a blast. Jeez, that was fun. It was so good to meet you finally. And these roses are just spectacular. love, p
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2004, 08:44:44 PM »

I just don't understand that. I turn the lights off, and watch the image and forget the bars are even there.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2004, 08:53:46 PM »

Good Evening! - Part 1

Well, on a sort of last minute decision I decided to catch the matinee of a children's show that some of my friends and students are currently in.  (Please excuse the dangling participle.)  The matinee was at 2:30.  I decided to see the show at 1:40.  So... After getting things cleaned up around the apartment, and myself cleaned up too, I hopped in my car at 2:14, and I was at the theater by 2:23!  *I always forget just how "small" Richmond is - everything is pretty close by.  And since Ukrop's (my favorite local grocery store chain) is a sponsor for the theatre, I was able to get a $4.00 discount on my ticket just by presenting my Valued Customer card!  -Oh, and since it was a children's show - and a matinee - I wasn't so rushed once I got there since they left a "cushion" of time for latecomers and fidgety chidren.

The show was The Magic Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.  It was written by Chad Henry based of the books by Betty McDonald.  What a very pleasant surprise.  And a very nice way to spend the afternoon.  I had never really heard of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, but after today, I may have to check out some of the books for myself.

It's basically a series of scenes where Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle finds various creative - very creative - ways to solve various problems that parents are having with their children and children are having with their parents.  Some of these problems include a boy who daydreams too much and his family who can't appreciate his active imagination; a pair of sisters who have a bad case of "quarrelitis"'; a young girl who doesn't like doing the dishes; and a boy who refuses to clean his room.  And as the title of the show states, there is some magic involved here and there.  :-)

Oh, and the music!  Some very nice songs!  My smile would get bigger and wider throughout the show.  -And I have to assume the songs were also written by Chad Henry since there's no credit in the program for a composer and/or lyricist.

Afterwards, I hung out while the cast signed autographs for the younger audience members - and not so young audience members.  There were some people in the show I hadn't seen in years, and it was nice to actually see and hug them in person - rather than just IMing them.  Nice performances all around.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2004, 09:11:48 PM »

Good evening! - Part 2

Once I got back from the show, I finally cleaned and prepped the head of lettuce I bought the other day.  -I love my OXO salad spinner!  I also noticed that the package of turkey sausage I had bought was due to "expire" today, so I put the links in a pan and cooked them up.  Then after some phone calls, I headed over to Steve's place - sausage links in hand - for an impromtu pot-luck.  Steve provided the salad, and I provided the sausage.

(Hmmm, there's some real dirty joke hidden somewhere in there.) ;)  TCB?...

Well, we supped on salad and sausage, and watched "Trading Spaces".  They re-broadcast Hildy's "flower bathroom".  WOW!

Now... The one danger with heading over to Steve's apartment is that Steve tends to keep various sweets and treats around.  Chocolates, nut brittles, cookies, ice cream, etc., etc.... So...  The ice cream sure was good!  I don't really feel bad about "slipping" - I just really wanted a treat tonight, and after a week of "being good"...  And as long as I don't head back over to Steve's tomorrow.. or the next day... I should be fine. ;)

-We'll see what the scale says Monday night.

So, now I'm back home, posting here and watching SNL.  Christina Aguilera is hosting, and I have to say, she's not doing too bad a job at all with the sketches she's in.  Her Samantha from "Sex & The City" was pretty good.

I've also lit a scented candle since the apartment smells like italian turkey sausage!  Ah, well...

Part 3 to come after SNL....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 09:13:41 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2004, 09:25:40 PM »

Off the topic. What's new?
We watched "Spirited Away" last night. Colin's first viewing. It is so more satisfying as a film than many non animated movies - so many layers there. I suspect that OZ children would not have the patience with the story line and its length.  I shall watch again (another first for Colin) "Castle In The Sky" which is at least its equal.  We have "introduced" the "Triplets Of Belville" to a few people now and it has been well received. I hope it gets an Australian movie release. I think my next purchase will be more animation - "Graveyard Of The Fireflies".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2004, 09:40:04 PM »

td: Good to see you here. Updates on your life would be welcome. I guess a few things are on hold - perhaps that should be rephrased!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2004, 09:59:03 PM »

Welcome back BK. It seems that the board has missed the stimulation of your pertinent posts.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2004, 09:59:21 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Well, as I suspected, a bittersweet evening, but really fun at times.  We did win, David Wechter and John McLaughlin (the only writers who did it under WGA auspices) went up, and David graciously gave me a big, big thank you, which was swell.   The Showtime people were all really lovely to me as well, and the Exec Producer of the show came up to me and hugged me and said, "Let's go cry in the corner" since both he and I should have joined up and we'd have a little statue, too.   Still, it was fun to win, even if we weren't up there.  I'll have complete details in tomorrow's notes.  Now, let's get us some postin' goin' on, shall we?

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2004, 10:05:08 PM »

Congrats on your (anonymous) win BK! We are all proud of you! You are a wonderful writer and we all know it!

JRand53, Hoss is my favorite of the Bonanza clan!

I don't mind letterbox so long as I have a large tv screen to watch it on and the picture quality is really good. And as for black and white vs. color I certainly don't mind either one. I don't even give it any thought, frankly. Never have. I do get peeved when people tell me they don't like to watch black and white movies. I just don't get it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2004, 10:08:44 PM »

A flurry of posts now that you have returned Bk. Congratulations. The public acknowedgement of your work was at least some reward.
I just found that I was "logged off". A gremlin in the works.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2004, 10:12:46 PM »

I am supposed to be transferring from tapes to Cd songs by Mezzo Soprano Lynne Anderson. She is a New Zealander. It would be OK if I could just leave the machine going but of course it needs to be "Tracked". It is just not my sort of music and I am finding it a real chore. Perhaps I should have sent it to DR JAY to do instead.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 10:13:32 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2004, 10:14:41 PM »

I would have preferred to have been listening to country singer Lyn Anderson telling me that she hadn't promised me a rose garden. Ah, friendship!
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2004, 10:19:45 PM »

Here is my grandmother's potato recipe:

Mix mashed potatoes, boiled endive, and ground beef.

It looked like a rabbit had vomited and pooped in snow.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2004, 10:22:16 PM »

That is a fine and lovely image, dear reader Sandra.  Worthy of a woman in a Swedish Chef hat.

More hot posts, that's what we need.

Kerry

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2004, 10:24:13 PM »

Sandra, my what a picturesque description!
I like boat races.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2004, 10:24:21 PM »

This is the same grandmother who puts peas in Jell-o. Floop doesn't sound so bad now, does it?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2004, 10:24:26 PM »

Of course, I've been gone for most of the day, so I'll contribute a few myself.  Next week is, thankfully, a very light week for DVD releases, so I only picked up one - The Chase, starring Mr. Marlon Brando and a host of others.  Source material by Horton Foote, screenplay by Lillian Hellman, directed by Arthur Penn and featuring a rousing score by John Barry.  I haven't seen it in years - I do recall it's a bit turgid, but I'm interested to see it again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2004, 10:25:51 PM »

MBarnum is stuck in his IM inbox.  He needs to get in here and CONTRIBUTE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2004, 10:26:41 PM »

And has anyone else noticed the Unseemly Errant and Truantness of dear readers Swishy Sarah and Laura II?  I do hope they are not having an affair without telling all of us.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2004, 10:26:57 PM »

I am my own frenzy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2004, 10:32:09 PM »

An affair with each other - well, I'm not judgemental. As long as they don't frighten the horses.

Sandra - but what does it taste like? If you know that it taste like it looks I shall become judgemental about your eating habits.
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2004, 10:34:30 PM »

Chopped liver's not so pretty either, but it tastes divoon....
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2004, 10:39:23 PM »

Love chopped liver.  And speaking of chopped liver, why are people just sitting there like so much fish and not posting.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2004, 10:40:52 PM »

HHW Big Brother

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2004, 10:40:58 PM »

I am my own frenzy, and I'm also VERY hungry.  I will shortly be eating a chef salad, what do you think about THAT?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2004, 10:42:09 PM »

Father of the Bride:

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up