Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 35111 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND THE WINNER IS...
« on: February 22, 2004, 12:05:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the story, you can repeat the story, or keep the story to yourself.  You are in control.  You will control the horizontal, you will control the vertical.  What am I, The Outer Limits all of a sudden?  Let's post now, y'all, y'hear?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 12:02:39 AM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 12:07:55 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy First Post Celebration[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joy!!!!!![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Rapture!!!!!![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Ecstasy!!!![/move]

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 12:12:17 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 12:12:56 AM »

Good evening - Part 3

Great pics, DR George!  -Is Mr. Coulter still as adorable as always?  And is he still "surprisingly" young?

Great pics, DR Penny O! -I hope I can catch you "Thighs" someday too!

OH, DRs SWW and DERBRUCER - I meant to ask you to bring back some scrapple for me!!!  YUM!!  And I love chopped liver too!

DR Tomovoz - This too shall pass.

Oh, and DR George - Has my mail reached you yet?

Congrats, BK!

And before this topic gets locked...

Well, it did get locked... but since I copied...

and, now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 12:18:45 AM »

Sorry, but it's so seldom I make the first post!

It has been a very low-key day here in Oakland CA.  

I'm nursing an ugly, depressing and disgusting head cold.

I spent an evening watching "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" on PBS -- wonderful comedy with Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas.

I also watched, on DVD, "Shattered" -- Wolfgang Peterson's rather intense mystery starring Tom Berenger, Bob Hoskins, Greta Scacchi (!!!???!!!), Joanne Whalley-Kilmer and Corbin Bernsen.  It's not a perfect film, but I'm a Tom Berenger fan and he's seldom been better than in this film which is stylish, extremely well made (with a very good Alan Silvestri score) and a shocking revelation at the end.

This and "Someone to Watch Over Me," also with Berenger plus Mimi Rogers are two of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Between "Blandings" and now, I've watched the past few years of Michelle Kwan performances at Nationals and Worlds...and, folks, she has only gotten better and better and better.  I can't wait to see what she does next!

And just in case you thought all ice skating ended with last months' Nationals chatter, we have world's coming up next month!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 12:20:04 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 12:39:47 AM »

Good evening - Part 3

Great pics, DR George!  -Is Mr. Coulter still as adorable as always?  And is he still "surprisingly" young?

Well, I can't comment on the "as always" part since I'd never heard of him before this concert, but while signing CDs after the concert, he was very gracious and polite and spoke with everyone that came up to him.  Unlike the picture on his one CD, his hair is now shaved very close and he has a Van Dyke beard (where the goatee and mustache are connected).  Very attractive up close. ;) He has a very strong (and high) voice, but I have to admit that I was not impressed with his "song stylings."  To me he was over the top and it was very distracting.  He never could just sing the song.  He had to emote practically every syllable...visually and vocally.  Debbie, on the other hand (the left...did you know that she's left handed?  I didn't) performed everything incredibly well.  She sang "It's an Art" from Working and did the little monologue as if she were in the show.  Wonderful.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 12:41:10 AM »

Oh, and DR George - Has my mail reached you yet?

Oh, no...not yet.  I'm sure it'll get here early next week.  I can't wait!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »

Congrats, BK, on your show's award!  Gee, guess I should have warned you about the food at that event.

I spent a delightful evening celebrating my pal Larry Drake's birthday tonight with some very delightful friends of his from NY at Sonora where the food is very good, but rather expensive.  

BK, maybe we should have a friendly competition to help us keep up with the writing of our respective novels by seeing how many pages each of us could get out in week.  Oddly enough, while at dinner, an actor I had directed in my Sherlock Holmes play, The Ebony Ape, in Kentucky years ago came in.  He has since become a psychic.  I had run into him a couple of years ago at the Hollywood Post Office and invited him to our annual Christmas Party.  At that time we briefly talked about several things I was working on and he told me, "Work on the novel."  Tonight in the restaurant, we talked about getting together for lunch some time and he said, "and we can talk about how the novel is going."  I was surprised he had remembered that casual conversation almost two years ago.  And when I told him, "Unfortunately, I've not been working on the novel", he replied:  "You should be..."  I've felt that way too...something is telling me I better get off the mark and get cracking.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 01:08:32 AM »

Der Brucer and I did indeed have a wonderful time tonight.  It's nice to know that Philly is no longer a distant city.  (Hey, I'm used to the idea of a two-hour commute.  And the countryside between Rehoboth Beach and the City of Brotherly Love is much prettier than my commute used to be.)

We had a good time at the Reading Terminal Market.  I zoomed over to the Cook Book store, getting the revised edition of Becoming a Chef and John Thorne's Pot on the Fire.  I've always loved good writing.  Then we raided the Spice shop, with roasted chestnuts, cous cous, whole nutmeg, ancho chili powder, tahini and marmalades ending up in our basket.  Der Brucer found a cast iron sandwich press for himself, and a funnel with a strainer attachment for me.  And then he found a surprise for Penny O before we found dinner at the Down Home Diner.

I think one of the reasons we keep going to Jack McDavid's restaurants is because der Brucer knows he "sort of" owes the man an apology from the first time.  Several years ago, we went to McDavid's upscale Jack's Firehouse, and der Brucer, who had driven us to the place using "alternate" routes (meaning, he pretty well got us lost), told McDavid that it was too bad the place was in such a bad neighborhood.  The look on Jack's face was not one of pleasure.  In the thirty years since der B had been in the area, it had turned around and become one of the more desirable neighborhoods in the city.  Unfortunately, we hadn't seen those changes due to our luckless route.  And also unfortunately, we haven't run into Jack himself since that first time, but someday...

Der B told in yesterday's notes about his dinner.  Me, I started with a tomato-basil soup, a clear soup tasting deeply of the tomatoes, absolutely wonderful.  I followed this with the Carolina pulled pork platter, with sides of butter beans and the best fresh coleshaw I've ever had, not drenched in dressing but tangy and with a nice crunch.  One more stop, as der Brucer had to have some ice cream from a favorite vendor.

On to the theater, to meet Penny.  Only we got there way too early, so we stopped for a pint at a nearby bar.  I'd forgotten what it's like to go to a bar where people can smoke while they sit next to you.  Bleh.

Penny was thrilled to see us, and just as thrilled to see the roses we'd brought.  OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but she knew exactly how to work the roses into her show, took us into the theater to show us where our seats would be, and gave us our cue as to when to throw the roses onstage!  Der Brucer also revealed his gift to Penny: some canelli he'd found at the Market.  (I still think it would have been better if he'd waited until the end of the show, considering part of Penny's running commentary.  She'll understand.)

Penny was in wonderful voice.  She ranged from Verdi to Gershwin to Sondheim with ease.  Her "Losing My Mind" was frankly better than Julia McKensie's.  And she is a really good comic actress, as well!  I'm glad I didn't botch the roses throw (for anyone wondering, this should be done more like tossing a frisbee, and not a Molotov cocktail).

After the show, we waited until the throngs died down before approaching her again.  Pictures were taken, book was signed.

And too soon it was time to leave.

Penny, you were wonderful.  Give your pianist, Peter de Mets, a hug from us, because he was really good, too, and I think he'd rather have you do the hugging than...well, never mind.  And please thank David Spencer for his generous contribution to the evening.

It's very late, time for me to retire.

For some reason, I've got "I Could Have Danced All Night" running through my mind!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 01:15:28 AM »

Links, links, I forgot about the links!

I've got links to the Reading Terminal Market, and to Jack's Firehouse, and to The Down Home Diner.

Is everybody HUNGRY?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 01:42:37 AM »

It's quite late and yet I am still up and about, not necessarily in that order.  However, I shall have to hit snoozeville fairly soon as I have quite a bit to do today, both reading and writing but no 'rithmatic.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 04:24:26 AM »

So BK is catching Up, is he?  That's what happens when you go to those crowded events, you know.  Up is quite contagious, and it has been "going around", as my doctor always says.  I understand it's particularly endemic among writers.  I myself must be immune, because I never seem to catch Up.

Gee, BK, you must feel like Dalton Trumbo.  Well, at least Woody Allen didn't take all the credit for what you wrote.  But congrats anyway.  Some day the Truth Will Out and you will be enshrined in the Bullsh*t Hall of Fame.

Didn't you say something about a second season of said show?  If so, do you plan to re-up in the WGA, in anticipation of next year's award?  Perhaps it won't have the television draw of the Annual Academy of Country Rap Music Awards, but it's got wings.   Spicy or extra crispy?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 04:53:02 AM »

And in celebration of Free-for-All Day:
--Wayland Flowers

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 04:58:13 AM »

A lovely morning here. Ahhhhhh, morning-after bliss!!! And I get to do it again. Oh, life is grand.

I must say those pictures that Woodser and Brucer got do capture lots of the Happytude of the evening. And just bytheway, the cannelli lasted about twelve minutes, guys... oy, throwing pastry in the general direction of a chronic dieter. Oy. But YUMMY! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
PennyO

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 05:04:43 AM »

Thank you, Dear Reader George, for the suggestion.  I am right now listening to Debby Gravitte's "Alan Menken Album" whilst I prepare to do my early Sunday morning shopping an hour late.  Much less to buy with only one mouth to feed.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 05:07:43 AM »

Dear Reader PennyO.  For you:
--Wayland Flowers

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 06:19:39 AM »

Looks like DR WFO is channelling Wayne Newton! (I certainly hope that sweet DR PennyO is NOT a blue lady)!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 06:24:59 AM »

Oh, William Orr!!! thank you so much for the lovely roses. Vat a sveet haarrrt! Smooches.
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 06:26:24 AM »

Happy Sunday everyone!

I love chopped liver too!  And I actually had some yesterday.

Great pics with PennyO!

DR Jose: I remember that Trading Spaces episode with Hildy's "flower" bathroom.  I actually tuned in right before the new episode and saw most of the participants' and designers' comments.  The only thing I missed is if the couple actually really liked the bathroom.  Since they said tons of people come over to see it, I will assume they haven't changed it (although how one would take thousands of flowers off a bathroom wall is beyond me).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 06:36:17 AM by Jennifer »

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2004, 06:29:23 AM »

Okay, td - it took me awhile to Get It: now I got It. Wayne Newton, Red Roses for a Blue Lady. I'm a little sloooowww this mornin'!
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2004, 06:29:28 AM »

DR George: Great description of the show last night. And thanks for posting those signed cds.

I'm curious, what did Stephen Schwartz sound like? (you mentioned he sang a couple of songs).  I love hearing composers sing.

btw, I'll have your translations in a few days I promise!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2004, 06:38:09 AM »

Dear BK, you're always the winner in my book!   While the food sounds like a recipe from "Dishes for your Disposal," it sounds like you worked the room a bit, and that's always good.   Congrats on the nod, if not the award itself.

DR George, I'm jealous I missed Debbie's concert!  She's one of the best, and I really love her.  I may have to listen to her Alan Menken album today as well, although I think my fave track of hers for BK is "Hero" on UNSUNG MUSICALS 3.  Last weekend she was doing a concert with Ron Raines and she sang the orchestration of "Memory" I did for her.  Maybe I'll do a Shapiro Gravitte compilation CD!  

Last night I saw "Latter Days" with my best friend from college who just moved back to NYC from Houston.  It was nice to see him, we had a good dinner (linguini with Italian sausage), and the movie wasn't bad.  The cast is very good.

Today, pops symphony work for Jeff Harnar and Shauna Hicks.  And listening to Debbie.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2004, 06:43:56 AM »

Okay, td - it took me awhile to Get It: now I got It. Wayne Newton, Red Roses for a Blue Lady. I'm a little sloooowww this mornin'!

;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2004, 06:56:28 AM »

OK, I'm confused about the "Blow Up" comment re: poor color.  Is this Antonioni's Blow Up?  I remember that as being in black and white.  

We watched the Fox DVD of The Day the Earth Stood Still recently.  What a fab movie.   The supplemental material must have been done for the LD release of several years ago, because the documentary was lengthy and interesting, interviewing Robert Wise, Billy Gray, Patricia Neal, and a guy who, I think, produced it (and who was chockful of Daryl F. Zanuck anecdotes).  Anyway, they were all given ample opportunity to reminisce about the movie, and their interviews were nice and lengthy, as opposed to the sound bites that are so in vogue now.  If the docu had been made now, none of those people would have been involved (for reasons besides the obvious: Wise's recent demise).  I can hear the objections now:

"Who the hell are all these wrinkled old people yammering on and on?!?

"Well, these are people who were all deeply involved with the making of the film.  Their first-person accounts offer insight and perspective that nobody else could --"

"So?  Not a one of them is under 55.  Nobody likes old people.  You know what wrinkles look like on a 48-inch HDTV?  Scrap this.  Get a bunch of kids to talk about what they think of the movie.   I'm thinking Hillary Duff, Mandy Moore, Lance Bass and that weird-lookin' kid, whatshisname, from Malcolm in the Middle."

"But sir, I seriously doubt any one of them has ever actually seen--"

"Listen, we'll get somebody else to write what they're gonna say.  It'll only be one line apiece, anyway.  And you need music in the background through the whole thing.  I'm thinking Nelly.  Maybe Eminem."

Anyway, The Day the Earth Stood Still is a great movie, still very atmospheric and effective, and the transfer is superb.  The documentary is more than 70 minutes long and very interesting.  I really recommend catching this DVD.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2004, 07:13:48 AM »

DR PennyO:

I just got home from shopping, and don't worry:  I was just as slow as you in getting the Wayne Newton line.  :-\

Btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo) my message should have read:

This bud's for you.  (Oh, a Noel Katz reference!)
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2004, 07:29:43 AM »

As noted in yesterday's posts, I watched All That Jazz last night.  It was not what I remember, oh no, it was not what I remember.  I taped it from Bravo some months ago, and it seems that every scene that stuck in my memory was not there.  Cases in point:

At the beginning, we see a shot of the auditioning dancers from overhead and their numbers dwindle, and dwindle, and dwindle.  Fosse did A Chorus Line better in one minute than the so-called film of the show did in two hours.  I didn't see that shot.  Where is it?

"NY/LA" in its final staging had the lights dimmed and became extremely hetero/homo/bi-erotic.  Did Bravo clean this up?

The scene where Joe Gideon is seducing a dancer in his apartment, with the clock in the background.  "Do you think I could?"  "What?"  "Be and actress."  Long pause.  "No."  Close-up of clock.  That likewise was cut.

Maybe all you DVD movie experts out there can explain this butchering of and arguably classic film.  I can't.

--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2004, 07:34:28 AM »

DR Lulu wrote:  "OK, I'm confused about the "Blow Up" comment re: poor color.  Is this Antonioni's Blow Up?  I remember that as being in black and white. "

Nope, it was definitely in color. Remember the models and Hemmings rolling around on that very colorful paper used for backdrops in their modeling shots? I haven't seen this movie since it first came out, but my young mind will NEVER forget seeing NUDITY from those girls and later from Redgrave in that movie.  

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2004, 07:38:12 AM »

Well, DR WFO, cutting "Aerotica" isn't a surprise since at one point, Sandahll Bergman strips off her top and bares her ample chest for all to see (outdoing Ms. Janet Jackson decades before she thought of it and not using pasties). As for the other cuts, I can't answer. Get the DVD. It's very cheap and has the whole show with good Dolby Surround sound.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 07:39:07 AM by Matt H. »

Lulu

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2004, 07:46:09 AM »

Matt H:  That's bizarre.  I just looked up Blow Up on IMDB and they have it as being in color (Metro Color, no less).  Yet I still retain a very strong memory of this film as being in black and white.  And no, I didn't see it on a black and white set - I saw it in a film class just 3 or 4 years ago.  WEIRD.  And yes, I remember the romp with the models...but remember it in b&w. :)

Lulu

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 07:47:52 AM »

DR WFO: Simple.  Bravo wanted more room for commercials, so some stuff got cut.  What wasn't cut to squeeze more ads in was cut for "adult content."  If they'd eviscerated someone, it probably could have remained intact; but God forbid anybody see a nipple.

After all, "how am I going to explain breasts to my children?!?"

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2004, 08:01:19 AM »

In film class, did you see a 16 mm print? I know for years (but many years ago), MGM was famous for sending out B&W prints of color films for use in 16 mm. I went to the local library many years ago to see MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS for the first time (long before videotape was available for home use), and the print MGM had sent was in black and white.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up