Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 35849 times)

Danise

Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2004, 08:10:34 AM »

Top of the morning all!

I'm sorry but I have to tell ya'll that:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MICHAEL BALL IS COMING TO SLC, MAY 14 & 15!!!!![/move]

I am SO excited!  I've been dancing around the room all morning.  So are you going, you asked?  Yes, I am!  I'm getting tickets for both concerts as soon as  they come on sale. Did I tell you that I'm SOOOO excited!   :D

Sorry to hear about the food at the awards.  I hope you two didn't eat the chicken if it wasn't cooked.  

I'm glad, however, about the "win"!  Yay!  :)

As far as ANY kind of liver goes--wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Y*U*C*K!!

Can we have a height check on  Der Brucer, S. Woody White  and Penny O?  The guys are so tall!  Wow!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2004, 08:13:46 AM »

The Other Jewish Booksigning:

Ham chunks, cheese slices, and lemon squares!!!!

I ordered Stuffed Kishka, Latkes, and Rugalach

der Brucer (Sorry that Penny O left the great "Gorge or Perish" line out of the show)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2004, 08:17:15 AM »

Today my Sunday newspaper included a 24-page pamphlet that can only be described as a glossary and user's guide to ordering "beverages" at Starbucks.  It's written in a folksy tone and even includes a grade-schoolish fill-in-the-blanks sentence for novices to use when they place their order.

I've studied it carefully and was extremely disappointed to discover that it does not explain why "Grande," which translates as "Large," is not the biggest cup of coffee you can buy there.  It does tell me, however, that if I'm nervous about ordering, I shouldn't be.  Nervous about ordering a cup of coffee?  Please.  Gimme a break.

Perhaps Starbucks should institute the new marketing tagline of Starbucks:  Unnecessarily Complicating Your Life In An Already Complicated World.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 08:25:04 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2004, 08:19:33 AM »

Good morning.
Panni/Anna's Report from the WGA Awards:
First for the important information: Fashion and food. bk looked quite dashing and handsome in his tux and shiny shoes. Like a Jewish James Bond. There were no outrageous gowns to be seen. One middle-aged man looked supremely silly decked out head to toe in a black leather suit, but fashion-wise it was a pretty staid crowd. The food, as bk mentioned in his notes, was to die for -- literally. And the waiters, in my humble opinion, had too much attitude for their own good. A snarly bunch. This is the first time in the years that I've been attending that the awards were held at the Century Plaza. And, believe me, FS Pogue, the food at this hotel makes the food at the Beverly Hilton (where the Awards were held until now) seem like five-star gourmet fare.

Our table mates were a pleasant bunch - an independent feature producer, a theatrical set designer, a screenwriter and his date from Ohio, a man in film distribution,  a documentary film maker, etc. Most of the people at the table were on Atkins or South Beach, so very little bread was consumed (the rolls were rubbery anyway) and the dessert, which looked like a little alien creature with chocolate antennae, remained mainly untouched.

Now to the actual awards. Bullshit! won and bk was thanked from the stage, as he should have been. All the other Bullshit! writers, producers, etc. in attendance congratulated him throughout the evening. He was most definitely a big part of the reason the show received the award and it was a damn shame that he (and another writer/producer who also was not a Guild member) were not up there on the podium. The award for this category was handed over by Peter Dinklage and Bobby Cannavale  -- the handsome "little person" star of  THE STATION AGENT, and the lovely actor who played his nosy neighbor and eventual friend.

Some of the other presenters - all with pretty bad patter written by members of our union who should know better - were: Sean Astin, Kim Catrall of SEX AND THE CITY, Keisha Castle-Hughes, young Oscar nominated star of WHALE RIDER, Anthony LaPaglia, James Woods, Beau Bridges, Mariska Hargitay and another female star of SVU,  Djimon Hounsou, Oscar-nominated star of ONLY IN AMERICA,  and a very funny Cloris Leachman. I'm blanking at the moment on others, but will add more as I remember, or perhaps bk will.

John Michael Hayes' award was accepted by his daughter. He was unable to attend - he is, sadly, blind.  
Veteran scribe, Loring Mandel, made a very moving speech on being given an award for his body of work.

The most uncomfortable moment of the evening for me: As the female writer who won for OUT OF THE ASHES, a harrowing tale of Auschwitz, accepted her award, she paid tribute to survivors of the Holocaust while flirting with Kim Catrall who had handed her the trophy  (giggle, giggle... "I can't concentrate with you standing back there"...). Had she won for something a tad lighter this might have been cute, but I found it truly offensive coupled with a speech about the Holocaust.

Will add more later.
Did I mention that our own bk looked dashingly Bondish?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 08:26:31 AM by Panni »

td

• td
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2004, 08:28:12 AM »

Some of the other presenters - all with pretty bad patter written by members of our union who should know better - were: Sean Astin, Kim Catrall of SEX AND THE CITY, Keisha Castle-Hughes, young Oscar nominated star of WHALE RIDER, Anthony LaPaglia, James Woods, Beau Bridges, Mariska Hargitay and another female star of SVU,  Djimon Hounsou, Oscar-nominated star of ONLY IN AMERICA,  and a very funny Cloris Leachman.

Mentioning Mariska reminds me to mention that she has turned into quite an exemplary actress.  I'm in awe of some of the work she has turned in on L&O:SVU, and last night's episode with guest star Craig Bierko was no exception.
TCM is saluting Oscar scores today, with ON THE TOWN (I'm one of the few who actually LIKES this even without the Bernstein), BORN FREE (I'm a sucker for lost animals),* OBJECTIVE BURMA and PAINT YOUR WAGON!

*I've recently adopted a deer mouse, which is living in the bird food storage bin.  He/She will run to me, sniff my fingers, give me a teeny tiny paw and play hide-and-seek.  This is not it, but, a generally good representation of it:
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2004, 08:30:41 AM »

Bookends:

On the left: Wi-Moto Nyoka - her dresser
On the right - Peter de Mets - her pianist

der Brucer (not shown - the two uncredited patsies in the audience who cheered "BRAVA" and throw roses!)

And speaking of Bookends:

Penny did an amazing job of bookending "The Man I Love" with "Losing My Mind"!

Panni

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2004, 08:33:03 AM »

As for photos of our beauteous selves - my camera is not digital, so although a photo was taken of us, I can't post it. A digital picture was taken by bk's friend, David, which he might be able to obtain and post.

The sun seems to be trying to come out after a night and morning of rain, so I'm going to try for a walk.
Congrats, PennyO!!

Danise

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2004, 08:34:57 AM »

OBJECTIVE BURMA   Isn't that an Errol Flynn movie?

What a cute mouse!  So he/she gives five!  Just be sure to not have something they like to eat on your finger (like peanut butter).  He/she wouldn't mean to but might bite.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2004, 08:38:39 AM »

Thinking just now about how Mariska Hargitay is Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay's daughter, I just remembered another second generation presenter from last night: Amber Tamblyn.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2004, 08:40:16 AM »

Cheesecake!

And demurly hidden (most of the time) were the black leather shoulder straps that must belong to a dominatrix bra.

der Brucer (dontcha just love the Audrey Hepburn look!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2004, 08:44:51 AM »

The Interview:

Penny explaining to Equity about the un-paid rose-thrower.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2004, 08:47:03 AM »

Clearly Ms O. was too preoccupied with rehearsal to read yesterday's column on shiny shoes:

der Brucer (and no that is not a Amish farmgirl, that is out Little Trooper!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2004, 08:51:14 AM »

And the crowd roared: "Show Us Some Skin!"

der Brucer (the crowd at the Bristol was particularly appropriate for the show - they were, I suspect, a Hadassah group from the Catskill's bussed in for the evening. SWW was the youngest person in the audience, and we shared the token "Goyim" award.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2004, 08:52:38 AM »

What wonderful pictures of DRPennyO, her entourage, and her audience!   ;D  Thanks so much for sharing!

And DRPanni, I know will share her picture of the WGA Awards show soon.   :D  Congratulations on your win, Mr BK!

So much excitement.....DRGeorge thanks also for the precis and the photos.  What a wonderful time must have been had by all!  And the performers sound like they enjoyed the evening as well!

DR Lulu - for a LONG time I thought Blow-Up was in b/w because of the cover of the LP....all b/w very strange....maybe that is what you remember.  ;)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2004, 09:00:27 AM »

Bruce congratulations are your recognition.  Sorry you can’t have the statue to go with it.

Sandra did you eat those potatoes? LOL

DerBrucer thanks for the wonderful photos.

Penny you look gorgeous.

George, Stephen Schwartz will be in Medford tonight at the Ginger Rogers theater.  Unfortunately I can’t go.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2004, 09:29:03 AM »

Lovely postings.  Thanks to all for the well-wishes and nice comments.  Still raining here, which I'm enjoying.  The sun can come out tomorrow, but I wouldn't mind another full day of rain today.

Panni

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2004, 09:38:11 AM »

It's raining buckets - and if a bucket falls on you, ouch! A good day for writing and for backing up and saving every minute. The power can go on days like this. (Did last time.) LA is never prepared for rain. Still haven't taken a real walk. Each time I get set to go, it starts to rain too heavily for major walking. just remembered another presenter Maria Bello from THE COOLER.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2004, 09:39:13 AM »

This morning I mentioned I would like some hot chocolate.  My sweetie just surprised me with some sweetened steamed milk for me to make hot chocolate.  He steams the milk in the espresso machine which I haven’t a clue how to use.  Currently he is cleaning said machine.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2004, 09:39:58 AM »

I will be leaving shortly for a trek down to San Diego, Dear Readers, so I might catch a performance of Georges Bizet's The Pearl Fishers at the San Diego Opera.  The sets and costumes of this production have been designed by fashionista Zandra Rhodes, and the pictures on the SDO website promise a wildly colorful production, indeed.  I have never seen this opera on the stage, so I am rather looking forward to it.  The Pearl Fishers contains what is arguably the most beautiful tenor/baritone duet ever written.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 09:59:56 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2004, 10:13:34 AM »

The Pearl Fishers....hmmmmmmm is that based on Frances Farmer's movie South of Pago Pago?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2004, 10:18:35 AM »

Matt H.:  Yeah, that must be the answer.  Before I saw your post, I mentioned this strangeness to my husband and wondered if that was it...if the 16 mm print we saw was in b&w for obscure reasons.  I'm REALLY surprised our professor (who was really good) didn't mention to us that the film was originally shot in color.  Maybe he was embarrassed.  Then again, maybe I was spacing out and missed his explanation.

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2004, 10:19:33 AM »

Now you have done it!  NOW, you have done it (no, not torn off one of my chests)!

So far, when "Rosemary's Baby" and "La Dolce Vita" and other movies and dierctors have been mentioned, I've come close, but I've been OK.

BUT NOW-- after all this talk again of "Blow Up,"   Claude Hooper Buchowski et al are gallopping through my head.  

What little sanity I may have had left will be gone by the end of the day!.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2004, 10:21:05 AM »

Maybe later another heaping helping of Van Williams will help.  Certainly couldn't hurt!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2004, 10:24:07 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

Well, I just wanted to check in before heading out this afternoon.  I'm going to classical voice recital being presented by one of my college classmates.  It's been ages since I've been to a vocal recital - I'm actually quite excited.  And the venue is great too - the concert/recital hall at the University of Richmond.

Again, Congrats to one and all and all and one!

DR SWW and DerB - Where's my scrapple? ;-)

DR George - Yes, Mr. Coulter is very attractive up close- and from a few feet away too.  I had heard that he had started getting a bit self-indulgent - a case of being different for the sake of being different methinks.  But with Mr. Schwartz next to him for the evening...

DR elmoore - I LOVE Jeff Harnar and Shauna Hicks!  I wish Shauna would bring back her "Shauna Hicks and Her Sixties Chicks" show someday!  Are you doing arrangements for/from their Mickey & Judy show?  *And I wonder if Shauna remembers me from the one time I accompanied her at a reception for her alma mater.

OK - Gotta run!

BK - Have something VERY good, VERY well-prepared, and VERY "splurge-a-licious" today!  You deserve it!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2004, 11:10:43 AM »

DR SWW and DerB - Where's my scrapple? ;-)
We're just trying to keep you on that diet.   :-* ;) ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2004, 11:12:02 AM »

The color is key to Blow Up, which is why I was disappointed in the DVD.  It was, I believe, Antonioni's second color film, after Red Desert.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2004, 11:15:53 AM »

Oh, as for questions about "How tall?", Der Brucer claims to be six foot even.  I run six foot two, which is short for men in my family.  I therefor cheat and wear my hair in a flat-top, which makes me look taller.  (It's the butch male equivalent of a Southern belle's "big hair.")
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2004, 11:41:15 AM »

For your Sunday amusement.  ;D

Questions and Answers from the original HOLLYWOOD SQUARES with host, Peter Marshall. That was a great bunch -- Paul Lynde, Rose Marie, Charlie Weaver, etc.. And Guest Squares like Vincent Price, George Gobel, Don Knotts...

Q. Do female frogs croak?
 A. Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.

Q. If you're going to make a parachute jump, at least how high should you be?
 A. Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.

Q. True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.
 A. George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

Q. You've been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man or a woman?
 A. Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

Q. According to Cosmo, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think that he is attractive, is it okay to come out and ask him if he's married?
 A. Rose Marie: No, wait until morning.

Q. Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?
 A Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.

Q. In Hawaiian, does it take more than three words to say "I Love You"?
 A. Vincent Price: No, you can say it with a pineapple and a twenty.

Q. What are "Do It," "I Can Help," and "I Can't Get Enough"?
 A. George Gobel: I don't know, but it's coming from the next apartment.

Q. As you grow older, do you tend to gesture more or less with your hands while talking?
 A. Rose Marie: You ask me one more growing old question Peter, and I'll give you a gesture you'll never forget.

Q. Paul, why do Hell's Angels wear leather?
 A. Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.

Q. Charley, you've just decided to grow strawberries. Are you going to get any during the first year?
 A. Charley Weaver: Of course not, I'm too busy growing strawberries.

Q. In bowling, what's a perfect score?
 A. Paul Lynde: The pin boy.

Q. It is considered in bad taste to discuss two subjects at nudist camps. One is politics, what is the other?
 A. Paul Lynde: Tape measures.

Q. During a tornado, are you safer in the bedroom or in the closet?
 A. Rose Marie: Unfortunately Peter, I'm always safe in the bedroom.

Q. Can boys join the Camp Fire Girls?
 A. Marty Allen: Only after lights out.

Q. When you pat a dog on its head he will wag his tail. What will a goose do?
 A. Paul Lynde: Make him bark?

Q. If you were pregnant for two years, what would you give birth to?
 A. Paul Lynde: What! ever it is, it would never be afraid of the dark.

Q. According to Ann Landers, is their anything wrong with getting into the habit of kissing a lot of people?
 A. Charley Weaver: It got me out of the army.

Q. While visiting China, your tour guide starts shouting "Poo! Poo! Poo!" What does this mean?
 A. George Gobel: Cattle crossing.

Q. It is the most abused and neglected part of your body, what is it?
 A. Paul Lynde: Mine may be abused but it certainly isn't neglected.

Q. Back in the old days, when Great Grandpa put horseradish on his head, what was he trying to do?
 A. George Gobel: Get it in his mouth.

Q. Who stays pregnant for a longer period of time, your wife or your elephant?
 A. Paul Lynde: Who told you about my elephant?

Q. When a couple have a baby, who is responsible for its sex?
 A. Charley Weaver: I'll lend him the car, the rest is up to him.

Q. Jackie Gleason recently revealed that he firmly believes in them and has actually seen them on at least two occasions. What are they?
 A. Charley Weaver: His feet

Q. According to Ann Landers, what are two things you should never do in bed?
  A. Paul Lynde: Point and Laugh

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 11:43:20 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2004, 11:47:10 AM »

Ah, the old days of Hollywood Squares, when funny was funny and you had the people who could deliver the jokes.  

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2004, 11:47:46 AM »

Looks like DR WFO is channelling Wayne Newton! (I certainly hope that sweet DR PennyO is NOT a blue lady)!
Surley WFO has more taste. Please let me it Vic Dana, Bert Kaempfert or Vaughn Monroe instead.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 11:49:08 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up