Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 35170 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2004, 07:11:39 PM »

Jenny-

I don't want to be a spoiler for our friends on the West Coast. Will discuss tomorrow.

Emily

« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2004, 07:15:53 PM »

ANYBODY WHO MENTIONS THE ENDING OF SEX AND THE CITY BEFORE DR JENNIFER AND I GET TO SEE IT WEEKS FROM NOW (DAMN CANADIAN BRAVO) WILL DIE A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DEATH!!!

Can you tell that I mean it?  I have to avoid watching talk shows tomorrow.  What else can a girl look forward to on Spring Break than finally getting the chance to watch Regis?!?!  This is heartbreaking.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2004, 07:21:24 PM »

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS-

My lips are sealed.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2004, 07:23:42 PM »

Two years ago, I was in a production of "The Sound Of Music" at a Long Island performing arts camp.  I was thrilled to be cast as Mother Abyss.

Eventually, we also lost the right to kneel or hold our hands in a religious manner.  When we got our costumes, they were simple black dresses.  No habits, no crosses, nothing remotely religious.  Instead of referring to Maria's home in the begining of the show as the "Abby", we were forced to call it the "School."  

And the final straw was when they renamed your character Mother Shapira?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 07:30:42 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Emily

« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2004, 07:37:46 PM »

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS-

My lips are sealed.

I know I could count on you :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

And the final straw was when they renamed your character Mother Shapira?

Oy!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2004, 07:44:02 PM »

Dan-in-To - you didn't answer my question earlier. I'm eager to find out if my memory about it being Ying Hope who wanted to put an end to that bit of racial slander otherwise known as The Nutcracker is correct.

Panni

« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2004, 07:45:17 PM »

Jenny - Tell us about yourself, if you are so inclined.

Jennifer

« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2004, 07:47:40 PM »

ANYBODY WHO MENTIONS THE ENDING OF SEX AND THE CITY BEFORE DR JENNIFER AND I GET TO SEE IT WEEKS FROM NOW (DAMN CANADIAN BRAVO) WILL DIE A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DEATH!!!

Can you tell that I mean it?  I have to avoid watching talk shows tomorrow.  What else can a girl look forward to on Spring Break than finally getting the chance to watch Regis?!?!  This is heartbreaking.

Oh DR Emily I know exactly what you mean.  We are 4 weeks behind here (for any DRs who care). And I am going to do everything to avoid finding out about the ending. I won't watch any talk shows either.

So please DRs if you are going to talk about Sex & The City, can you put the words SEX & THE CITY in big writing at the top of your post.  I really really do not want to find out what happens either.

Good luck DR Emily :)

Btw, my sis who is also a huge Sex & The City fan says there is no way I won't find out the ending.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2004, 07:48:04 PM »

Phantom of the Opera was bad in so many ways, but, at least, I thought, it had some passably romantic melodies.

A rival composer recently played me the section of The Girl of the Golden West that got the lyrics "Turn your head away from the garish light of day"

As Billy Crystal says in Forget Paris, the main song is School Days (or, a de-waltzed version of Come To Me Bend To Me)

I hear Ah Leave Me Not To Pine (G & S) in the song that contains the immortal line "You were once a friend and father."

One of my favorites is Ballad of the Easy Life from 3Penny Opera.  Put it over a disco bass and voila, you've got the title song.

But I've always liked Think of Me . . . it's comparatively original!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2004, 08:02:16 PM »

Jenny's photo looks rather like our very own Tammy Minoff.  And that's a compliment!

Back from Grant's and we finished the CD proper.  All that's left to do is record the four Kritzer songs (piano vocals - will go very fast) and then mix the sucker and for once I'll have it in plenty of time to ship with the books.  Hoo and ray.  Would you all like to know what songs?

td

• td
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2004, 08:07:06 PM »

Phantom of the Opera was bad in so many ways, but, at least, I thought, it had some passably romantic melodies.

A rival composer recently played me the section of The Girl of the Golden West that got the lyrics "Turn your head away from the garish light of day"

As Billy Crystal says in Forget Paris, the main song is School Days (or, a de-waltzed version of Come To Me Bend To Me)

I hear Ah Leave Me Not To Pine (G & S) in the song that contains the immortal line "You were once a friend and father."

One of my favorites is Ballad of the Easy Life from 3Penny Opera.  Put it over a disco bass and voila, you've got the title song.

But I've always liked Think of Me . . . it's comparatively original!

Oh, lord!  I agree with each and every one of those sentiments!
Still, when Lloyd-Webber steals from himself (VELVEETA = JOSEPH) something is truly amiss.
I still cringe whenever I hear the bridge to "Half a Moment" being sung in "As If We Never Said Goodbye," but I think that's because I miss the lyric "Like a toy kaleidescope, images of you. . ."

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]W E L C O M E   D R    J E N N Y ![/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2004, 08:09:49 PM »

Jenny - Tell us about yourself, if you are so inclined.

Oh!  I'm not sure what to tell you!  I'm a high school student (Sophomore) in NY (I live about a half hour from the city).  Like most teenage theatre fans, I'm studying to be an actor (But unlike the most teenage theatre fans, I'm realistic!).  Um...I use parentheses a lot.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »

I saw John Travolta in the chorus of OVER HERE! but I thought John Mineo was much cuter.

I recorded SEX & THE CITY, but won't watch it until tomorrow, so I can't possibly spoil.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2004, 08:13:27 PM »

I really don't think there is any real danger about us spoiling SEX AND THE CITY since it really hasn't been talked about here at all. I don't know if it's because we know Canada is five weeks or so behind us or just because it hasn't come up, but I don't remember ANY discussion about this year's stories.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 08:14:14 PM by Matt H. »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2004, 08:14:32 PM »

DR Panni,

My memory isn't sharp on that one. I remember the incident and I remember Ying Hope. But I don't remember the combination. I'll ask around.

And then there was the brouhaha over Showboat - but I imagine you were out west by then.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2004, 08:27:04 PM »

We're getting quite popular over at The DVD Place.  Someone at one of the "other" sites, printed my comments about all the Airport whining about the hubs in the cases being too tight.  Then they denied there'd been much whining and said everyone had been talking about the transfers.  Of course, if I could respond I would merely tell them to look at the entire thread.  But, I'm happy to see they're enjoying our DVD site.  Why, the man who runs one of these "other" sites has even taken to running his DVD thoughts every week.  Tres amusing, considering he's never deemed it necessary to do so before, and that site has been up and running for years.  He did like Pickup on South Street, so he gets brownie points for that, and he did love Thelma Ritter and was even proud that he finally remembered where he'd seen her once before - Rear Window.  Apparently All About Eve has never graced his DVD player, or any of the other hundreds of films Miss Ritter appeared in.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2004, 08:34:19 PM »

OMG! Thelma Ritter! Only one of the greatest of ALL Hollywood character actresses. The fellow must have missed PILLOW TALK, too, which has been on DVD for years. And so has HOW THE WEST WAS WON. Geez! These "experts" with no real knowledge of Hollywood history are pathetic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2004, 08:36:55 PM »

Good evening!

DRs Jennifer and Emily and .... - I have a feeling that even if you find out how "Sex & the City" ended tonight, it will only have it's full effect once you actually see it.  Yes, it may not all be a total surprise, but there are some great visual moments in store for you too.  However, best of luck blocking out the various media outlets over the next week or so.  *Hey, at least you get "Y&R" a day ahead! ;)

And, yes, we cried too.   :'(

DR WEL - I actually liked POTO too.  Did I love it?  Not exactly.  But it has it's moments, and unless you're a die-hard ALW-basher, I'm sure you'll have a good time.  Marvel at the scenery.  Marvel at the costumes.  Oh, and marvel at the voices!  Some of those choral passages are so dense harmonically.  *And having played through the keyboard books, I can also say that some of musical passages - well, at least the orchestration, are quite tricky.  I saw the show last August, and had a wonderful time.  And I believe Hugh Panaro is still "in the mask" at this time, and he's always a joy to listen to.  And from your Row D seat, you'll get a nice view of everything - and actually be able to notice just how "small" the show is - well, the Majestic stage - compared to some other productions.  *If you want to see "the" chandelier drop, take a plane and see it in Germany.  The theatre there was built for the show, and the chandelier mechanism was built into the theatre.  A friend of mine sang Raoul over there for a while, and he said the chandelier drop is quite impressive - and fast(er).

DR SWW - As has been mentioned, for all things theatre-related check out the Drama Book Shop.  They moved to their current digs a few years ago, and it's a very browser-friendly store.  And be sure to take advantage of the staff should you have a question or a quest.  *If you happen to be on the lookout for theatre music and collectibles, you may also want to head over to Colony Music.  Yes, they mark everything up.  Yes, they carry things they shouldn't be carrying (they have a "buyer" who goes over to London every now and then to "buy" some music).  Yes, they carry some things that other shops in New York don't carry.  But their selection of sheet music is pretty good.  -I'd pass on their CDs - their prices are higher than retail!  Go down the block to Virgin for slightly better pricing; up to Tower or HMV for even better pricing; or down to J&R for some relative bargains, and a surprising selection.  -You'll also be near Footlight too, so...

And if you don't happen to find something at Colony, then you can walk down to the Hershey store.  ;)

And if you haven't seen the newest issue of Gourmet magazine, get it now!  It's all about New York.  Yes, some of the more upscale places are highlighted, but they also list places such as Broadway Panhandler, and the various cookbook shops on the island.  Have your Visa card(s) ready!  *A personal recommendation, I'd head over to 5th Ave., and check out the Japanese department store, Takashimaya.  I've mentioned it here before.  Such a neat place - experience.  And if you happen to be in need of some Japanese tea and cooking supplies, the basement has a small, but nice collection of spices, teas, containers and confections.  (Alas, a little pricey, but...)  -Oooh, and maybe they'll be handling out samples of that delicious "layered" cake made with crepes and pastry cream!

-And if you happen to need to some other recommendations for food - or theatre - please feel free to e-mail me directly.

-Are you really just going up for the day?  or is that just a proverbial day?

DR Noel - Any mail yet?  -Just checking to see how my local post office is doing.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »

We're getting quite popular over at The DVD Place.  Someone at one of the "other" sites, printed my comments about all the Airport whining about the hubs in the cases being too tight.  Then they denied there'd been much whining and said everyone had been talking about the transfers.  Of course, if I could respond I would merely tell them to look at the entire thread.  But, I'm happy to see they're enjoying our DVD site.  Why, the man who runs one of these "other" sites has even taken to running his DVD thoughts every week.  Tres amusing, considering he's never deemed it necessary to do so before, and that site has been up and running for years.  He did like Pickup on South Street, so he gets brownie points for that, and he did love Thelma Ritter and was even proud that he finally remembered where he'd seen her once before - Rear Window.  Apparently All About Eve has never graced his DVD player, or any of the other hundreds of films Miss Ritter appeared in.

Thelma, she's right up there with Marjorie Main as far as I'm concerned!

Oh, and just who retorted to the whiners (weiners) on that other site, might I ask?  Who was it that said that one post does not a whine make. . .?

Oh, and perhaps BK or DR Noel know this:
Why do the cds of both PUMP BOYS AND DINETTES and OVER HERE! contain alternate tracks, rather than being replications of their lp (vinyl) counterparts?  I'm not complaining, but, there are some cuts on the lps which I prefer on the former - "Be Good or Be Gone" is (IMHO) better to listen to on the vinyl, the cd makes me just wanna get up and dance!  Were the original tracks in really horrible shape that they couldn't be used when being transferred to cd?
Just curious. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2004, 09:02:21 PM »

Tonight was very roast-y.  Roasted lamb.  Roasted taters.  Roasted beets.  And even some roasted garlic!

Very yummilicious!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2004, 09:30:47 PM »

...-Are you really just going up for the day?  or is that just a proverbial day?
We drive up, spend some time, see a show, drive back.  We sleep a lot the next day.

We're going to see Assassins during previews.  A lot of what we can do will depend on when we leave home for the drive north.  But I would like to check out a drama bookstore (or two!), and appreciate the recommendations so far.  (I can hear der Brucer now: "But you got cookbooks in Philly!")  

And he's right, the market for those books is national, which is why I'm not going to stress the cooking stuff in NYC.  :-\  Play scripts and theater related materials (other than recordings) can be harder to find, on the other hand.  And I do like to have a supply of readable material on hand, things I can read aloud to der B when we're on a longer trip, since news radio can get repetitous.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2004, 09:42:57 PM »

BK, I'd like to know the songs....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2004, 09:45:23 PM »

Td: Yes, I saw your retort, very nice.  Apparently thirty people whining isn't whining but one person pointing out the whining is a whiner.  Makes perfect sense to me.  I watched the finale of Sex and the City.  My only problem is that I've never seen any other episodes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2004, 09:49:28 PM »

DR SWW - Yes, the cookbook market is a national market, but if you've never been to Kitchen Arts & Letters over on Lexington Ave... WOW!  Truly a kid-in-a-candy-store experience!  The out-of-print and foreign titles are worth the "experience".

Otherwise...

Your main concern with driving up will be the Lincoln Tunnel.  Either get in before rush hour by 7:30, or after rush hour after 9:30.  Now, if you're going up on a weekend, then...  Just make sure there's no parades or presidential visits planned for the day you plan to go up.  Gridlock!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2004, 10:01:07 PM »

The final SEX AND THE CITY made me cry. And for a weird reason.
My dog got upset seeing me cry and he started to cry, so we had a cry fest. Just when I stopped crying my daughter phoned from San Francisco to see how SEX AND ended (she doesn't have HBO in her dorm) and in telling her about it I started to cry again. And the dog got upset again... You get the picture. I'm taping CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM because I didn't want to lose the pleasure of the ending of the show quite just yet. Hope they don't make the movie they're talking about. It should just end here.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2004, 10:06:44 PM »

The final SEX AND THE CITY made me cry. And for a weird reason.
My dog got upset seeing me cry and he started to cry, so we had a cry fest. Just when I stopped crying my daughter phoned from San Francisco to see how SEX AND ended (she doesn't have HBO in her dorm) and in telling her about it I started to cry again. And the dog got upset again...

...And that just made me smile.  :)

Goodnight.

*Yeah, I know, I can hardly believe it myself!?!?!  It's only just past 1:00AM on the east coast and Jose is heading to bed!?!?!... Well.. I have to get back to some semblance of a normal schedule this week... Or next week will be a truly rude awakening when I have to be back on a normal schedule.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2004, 10:41:36 PM »

I think I shall sign off and either watch CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM or do some writing or both... or neither.
Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2004, 10:41:37 PM »

I know you're out there, I can hear you breathing.  

Panni

« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2004, 10:42:22 PM »

It's a sinus condition...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up