Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX  (Read 84339 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »

In some families, they are restricted to discussing the weather and everybody's wealth.  

So global warming and the economy would be acceptable topics.

Global Warming - a radical hoax!

The economy - all the fault of the lefties who took us off the Gold Standard!

Next topic?

der Brucer

How about the LA politician who wants to pay poor women to be sterilized?

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that state Rep. John LaBruzzo (R) said yesterday that “he is studying a plan to pay poor women $1,000 to have their Fallopian tubes tied.” LaBruzzo worries that people receiving food and housing assistance “are reproducing at a faster rate than more affluent, better-educated residents”:
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »

So, you consider "bashing" a polite form of social discourse?

der Brucer

Note: Bashing implies tone, not content!

Bash: To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »

I've gotten so much info on both sides of the discussion from reading the points of view here

So have I.  

We should all know Cilla’s opinions weren’t formed lightly as we followed her early excursions to see the candidates speak & as she arrived at her conclusions.  I for one found it very interesting.  I’m really saddened when anyone here is not looked kindly on for having a different opinion or viewpoint.

I was also rather shocked.  I viewed DR Cilla’s comments with the same reaction derBrucer did (thank you for expressing this better than I can), therefore I was completely taken back by take on her comments following “What lower middle-class background?”  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »

Here's a little perspective on differing viewpoints--I was channel flipping between MSNBC and Fox last night right after the debate.  Fox:  100% certainty McCain won.  MSNBC:  100% certainty Obama won.  It's all opinion, foks, no need to take umbrage at anything.  Unless of course you disagree with me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:39:35 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »

I don't discuss politics.  At work, we have both McCain and Obama as well as Palin and Biden tomes sitting at the registers. Well, EXCEPT for the register which I am working.  That register has books and music which I can readily recommend to customers.  This week, I have sold five copies of WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, thirteen or more copies of Charlaine Harris' DEAD UNTIL DARK two copies of 1000 RECORDINGS TO HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE. . .and zero copies of THE GRAPES OF WRATH (my register choice for Friday).
I don't live under a rock, but, my political views are personal, and this year, am thankful for the right to write-in a vote should I want to.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »

this year, am thankful for the right to write-in a vote should I want to.

;D

Jane

« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

This morning when we called DS Craig to wish him a happy birthday, he said they are enjoying Philadelphia very much.

Since their DD Yogi suffers from separation anxiety and is having difficulty adjusting to the move, his birthday celebration consisted of a nice walk around their neighborhood.  Having hot water, working stove, a nice apartment all around is also a treat. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2008, 05:15:57 PM »

I've never discussed politics because it does get volatile.  I think the discussion here has been interesting - all points of view.  But both sides please be careful that opinions are offered without anger and disrespect - that's all I care about.  Can someone please let me know if they've gotten Cilla's e-mail address so we can make sure she doesn't leave - she's a great lady and I would really hate to think she's being attacked.  If anyone needs her e-mail, I'll find it and get it to them.  Thanks.

Ginny

« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »

We are back from the Octoberfest German Dinner at Oakley (Cincinnati) United Church of Christ.  We bought 2 packages of homemade fudge and delivered one to my mom just in time to see the nail-biter finish of the Michigan-Wisconsin game.

Postponed the grocery shopping 'til tomorrow.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »

Hi all.  I guess you got the news about Bear.  Sorry I didn't post sooner.  I cried myself sick and had to lay down.  I just woke up a little while ago.   :'(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »

Back from the Karen Morrow event.  She was fantastic - a natural teacher.  She's everything I love in that regard - very specific, very nurturing, and very smart.  The audience of about forty ate her up.  Ten people got to sing - she'd let them do the song, then she'd get up and work with them - they'd do it again, she'd stop them, work, let them sing, and they'd see the results so quickly.  Lots of laughs, and I think everyone was really into it, whether they were just spectators, or performing.  After two hours, we did an informal Q&A, which I led.  I began with a series of questions, and then everyone got to ask their own.  We're batting two for two with our LACCTAA events, and our panel discussion is next and we're hoping that one will be as good as the first two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »

I'm starving to death, but I'll wait for my seven-thirty dinner partay.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »

So have I.  

We should all know Cilla’s opinions weren’t formed lightly as we followed her early excursions to see the candidates speak & as she arrived at her conclusions.  I for one found it very interesting.  I’m really saddened when anyone here is not looked kindly on for having a different opinion or viewpoint.

I was also rather shocked.  I viewed DR Cilla’s comments with the same reaction derBrucer did (thank you for expressing this better than I can), therefore I was completely taken back by take on her comments following “What lower middle-class background?”  

I assume Jane that comment  is directed towards me, because I was the one that responded to Cilla's "lower middle-class" post.  If you can explain to me what the untruths about Obama and is  so-called cousin has to do with whether or not Obama had a lower middle-class backgound, then I will be very happy to apologize.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »

Thank you all for the good wishes.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »

{{{{Danise}}}}
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »

I guess the surgery took more out of him then anyone realized.  I thought he was doing good until he collapased yesterday morning when I was getting ready to go to work.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

singdaw

« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »

DR Danise - I am so very, very sorry.

{{{{{HUGS to you!!!!}}}}}

Danise

« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »

Two topics I was taught to never discuss--religion and politics.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »

I just feel so bad that once again I wasn't there when someone needed me most.  He died at the vet hospital sometime between midnight and 3 AM when someone checked on him.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »

{{{{{Danise}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2008, 05:31:43 PM »

I have just sent a long email to DR Cillaliz.  As I stated before, I do not feel that I attacked her.  But if she feels attacked, then that is her reality, and there it is.  I can only add that I do feel it would be a terrible loss to HHW and to me if she were to depart, temporarily or permanently.  I would be mortified.  

And also that I shall stop and count to 10 before [and if] I ever post anything again regarding politics.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »

Danise, I am so sorry about Bear! I've been thinking about you and sending positive vibes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »

For Danise:

Danise

« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »

Thank you all again.  I guess I'll go.  I need to get something to eat.  Poor Sheena, she knows something is wrong but I'm not sure if she knows Bear won't be coming home this time.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »

For Danise:

That's so lovely.  Thank you.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »

George:

Yesterday, you announced being cast in Orton's Loot.  

CONGRATULATIONS!

Der B and I enjoyed the play when it was presented by the International City Theater in Long Beach.  It's good social satire, unafraid of making it's jabs.  You'll have a good time.

Just be careful - at ICT the thrust stage was given a very steep rake, and at one point a significant prop fell and rolled off the stage!  Fortunately, one of the actors was also a trained circus clown, and mimed opening a window, climbed out, fetched the unfortunate prop and returned to the stage the way he came.  Obviously not part of the script, his action brought down the house.

The moral being: BE PREPARED FOR ANY AND EVERYTHING!!!

Have a great time!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »

Politics = volatile.  So, let's keep it civil from here on in.  Views are fine, passion is fine, but let's be careful that we don't attack others for their views, even if it's subtle attacking - I don't happen to think singdaw attacked Cilla - he's one of the nicest people ever, and I think it's very important for everyone here not to take the political stuff PERSONALLY.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »

I don't know if I can go two more hours without something - but the only thing I have here are some ranch-flavored Quakes and some red licorice.  Maybe I'll have a couple of the latter - no fat, not many calories.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »

Danise:

Bear will be with you always.  Thank-you for letting him be part of our lives, too.

Love - Woody.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

Aww Danise.  Sometimes you just don't have any control over the situation.  I'm sorry you couldn't be there with him.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up