Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX  (Read 84380 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »

So glad to hear MattH's report on An Autumn Afternoon.  I have never seen a bad Ozu film, even though many of his films share similar themes and stories.  MattH is right when he says it's a film of small shattering details - there are never "big" moments in Ozu, but all the small details suddenly stir incredible emotions in the viewer and the viewer isn't even aware of how they got there.  For those who've never seen an Ozu film, I cannot recommend them highly enough - Tokyo Story, Early Spring, Late Autumn, Early Summer, Good Morning, Floating Weeds and all the others - they're all wonderful human films.  As those who've been here may remember, I couldn't stop watching Ozu films about three years ago - one after another, all of them wonderful and moving and funny.  And the thing is, his style never wavers - it's rigorous in the sense that he puts the camera at the eye level of the characters and observes them.  There are few moving shots, if any, in Ozu films.  And on the handful of occasions where he does move the camera it's always just right.  A master filmmaker.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

Up until the last election I was never involved in a heated political discussion that became personal, NEVER!

Oddly I have never had a friend who was of the Republican Party persuasion berate me, or bash me for my views.  I have only been respected or at the least, forgiven. ;)

Sadly I have been badgered, berated & bashed by Democrats for expressing any opposing views regarding the Democratic candidates.  

Having experiencing only friendly discussions most of my life I don’t understand how the line crosses to a personal attack simply because someone sees things differently.  I judge people by their kindness & actions, not by their political views.  

And there is the crux - just because people disagree, the line should not be crossed into a personal attack.  Not saying that's what's happened here, but it can occasionally appear that way when the opposing view is stated with vehemence.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:58:50 PM by bk »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »

Bruce, it sounds like you had a very interesting & enjoyable day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »

Will we never get to page eleven?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »

I wonder what we'll be supping on this evening?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »

The day was really fun.  And it's fun to see the current students really getting into these events.  I knew it would be slow-going to build interest, and it has been, especially with the alums, for whom we're actually doing these events - very few have come down to support them, and funnily, those who don't are probably those who would benefit most.  But, what else is new?  Eventually, I think the "hip" factor will kick in - if I have my way, these events are going to become popular and the word will get out and they'll start really filling up, and once that happens, I suspect our non-committal alums will suddenly start showing up.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »

'night

td

• td
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »

I am enjoying a nice chunk of caramel apple cake before a viewing of the new dvd of L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, one of my all-time favorite films taken from one of my all-time favorite novels.
I've watched a couple of the new docs and am happy to report that neither Laurent BooringZooReau nor Drew Caspar are involved.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »

This has been a bad week for electical applainces in Chateu de le Vixter

~~~ALL-AROUND VIBES FOR THE VIXTER CLAN!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »

I am very offended. I am singing the hymns while typing in the words into the PowerPoint. Sassy (my son's cat) is making that yowl she makes whenever my son sings off-key. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »

The audience ate her up......  

Oh gosh, that is too bad. But, I have heard of things like that happening when the snack bar closes down too early.

Ginny

« Reply #281 on: September 27, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »

DR Laura - Richard was whistling the tunes to tomorrow's hymns and, for a change, they're all familiar to me.  Sometimes I have trouble with the Anglican hymnal.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #282 on: September 27, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »

I dinner was a can of some type of stuff that had a label all written in Greek. I think it was grape leaves stuffed with rice...but I am not sure.

It did taste good, however.

MBarnum

« Reply #283 on: September 27, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »

I am watching the 1950s film THREE STRIPES IN THE SUN. It has Aldo Ray playing a Sargeant who hates the Japanese but ends up stationed in Osaka during occupation.

When he ends up visiting a rundown orphanage his heart melts and he helps construct a new one with the assistance of his comrades and a very pretty Japanese translator.

Of course I started getting misty eyed as soon as the credits began! LOL!

George

« Reply #284 on: September 27, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »

...is anyone else planning on seeing this broadcast of Rent?

DR George - I am going today at 1:00 PM.

I still haven't seen firm confirmation on whether or not this will ultimately be released on DVD.  But most of the reaction has been extremely positive regarding the quality of the final product.

Well, I'm back from seeing "Rent," having lunch and doing a bit of shopping.  Overall, I really enjoyed "Rent" and highly recommend it...but the camera work was more than a tad frenetic.  There was just too much cutting back and forth between shots, especially when there was a lot of movement on stage.  It was difficult to focus on what was happening.  And there were too many close-ups, again, especially when there was a lot of action. :P They should've pulled back and showed the whole picture more often than they did...a lot more.  The movie version of "Chicago" had nothing on this version of "Rent." ;)

But other than that, it was a great show.  The singers were all great (Mark was a real cutie!) and it was just really cool to see a Broadway musical on the screen.  I love things like that...even on TV. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »

DR vixmom and George et al - As for the "Rent" screenings... The lines here in NYC were loooooong(!) on Wednesday and Thursday nights.  -And I have friends who are already planning on lining up at least two hours before the showing tomorrow, so... -It may not be that popular in your neck of the woods, but ya' never know.

I got to the theater at about 11:30 and it started at noon.  I was the first one there.  Eventually, about 20-25 people came in.  That was it.  But everyone seemed to love it.  My friend Margo is planning on going again tomorrow.  If it wasn't my sister's birthday party/barbecue tomorrow, I'd go again, too.

And I would assume that like Legally Blonde that was shown on MTV, this will never be available on DVD.

George

« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »

I just read about Paul Newman. :'(

FJL

« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »

Something tells me (just a hunch, no inside info) that someday, someone will pony up the money to get that Legally Blonde that was on MTV several times out on DVD.  Unlike the Rent filming, so many people were able to tape Legally Blonde when it was on TV, and legal copes of legal copies abound in the world, so i think saner heads will prevail and make it affordable to pay people off to release the thing.

George

« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »

And, sadly, I believe DR Danise's DD Bear has passed on too. :(

~~~Vibes of Comfort for DR Danise!!~~~

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »

Something tells me (just a hunch, no inside info) that someday, someone will pony up the money to get that Legally Blonde that was on MTV several times out on DVD.  Unlike the Rent filming, so many people were able to tape Legally Blonde when it was on TV, and legal copes of legal copies abound in the world, so i think saner heads will prevail and make it affordable to pay people off to release the thing.

Well... Now that Legally Blonde is closing, MTV will not have to pay the "royalties" to those entitled to them - there was some sort of structured payout based on how long the show ran, just in case MTV should choose to show it again.  So... Now that those funds are "available".. ??
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »

I dinner was a can of some type of stuff that had a label all written in Greek. I think it was grape leaves stuffed with rice...but I am not sure.

It did taste good, however.

-And just where and how did you get this can of indeterminate culinary origin?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

DR George, Joe Orton is one of my favorite playwrights because of his outrageous wit, insane plotting, and inner rage. I believe his plays are the funniest things written since Noel Coward's best comedies, and his style calls for the easy repartee of Oscar Wilde cmbined with the violence and rablood of a violent film: when one of the robbers in LOOT tells Truscott "You have got me bloodied and on the floor" and the shootings occur at the end of WHAT THE BUTLER SAW, the blood should be realistic.

Orton's not easy to perform: of the 7 or 8 different productions of WHAT THE BUTLER SAW that I've seen, only the 1973 Wiliamstown Theatre production with John Glover, David Dukes, and Lynn Milgrim came the closest to being an ideal representation of the show's style.  There's a not-too-good film of LOOT with Lee Remick as the killer nurse, and you might want to track it down on VHS, and a rather good film of ENTERTAINING MR SLOAN with the late, great Beryl Reid. The film bio of John Lahr's book PRICK UP YOUR EARS is very interesting and goes into detail the tribulations of the original disastrous London-bound production of LOOT, which couldn't make it into London, and how another director took the script and made it a success.

I saw John Tillinger's Broadway production with Alec Baldwin and Zeljko Ivanek as the robbers, but I thought he miscast Joe Maher and Charles Keating and they should have switched roles. Charles was too sly to play McLeavyand would have been better as the corrupt police inspector.

There are grrat lines in LOOT:
   "Total extermination has done nothing to silence her slanderous togue."
   "What a thing to happen to a man who's been kissed by the pope!"

Thanks for the info and insight.  That helps, a lot. :)

George

« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »

I bet it was a glass eyeball!

SPOILERS!!!

;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »

My biggest intention tonight was to watch MICHAEL CLAYTON for fun and then get on with watching NUMBERS as my next review item.

A couple of lengthy phone calls prevented me from carrying out my plan.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »

Very exciting possibilities and opportunities, DR George!!!    :D   I hope that the one you choose makes you happy!

Thanks!  I think I'll have fun either way, as long as I don't panic about all the words that I'd have to memorize in "Loot." ;)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:32:19 PM by George »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »

...I then asked her how many times she went on for Miss Grimes while standing by - the answer?  One.  Which led the discussion where I wanted - the fact that in days of old (up until about twenty years ago) stars and leading players would have rather DIED than miss a performance and let their understudy go on.  Now, it's all personal days, and people missing if their having sniffles, or PMS, or a headache, or they need to do a concert somewhere.  It was unthinkable back then and frankly it should be unthinkable now.  Miss Morrow told of being told she had to miss a performance (of Drood, I think) because they wanted to see how the understudy was.  She didn't want to miss, and, in fact, hung out at the theater because she felt she should be going on. ...

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you here, BK.  While missing performances at the drop of a hankie is not a good thing in any way shape or form (just as it isn't a good thing where I work, or at any other work environment), for producers asking a lead performer to miss a performance so that the understudy could be seen in the heat of a performance may be a good thing, particularly in this day and age where it is the show, and not necessarily the performer, that is the draw.  I would, in fact, want this to happen, rather than throw the understudy onto the stage only to discover that he/she was totally inadequate and destroying everybody else's performance in the process.

(This coming on the day that our morning-shift cart wrangler, Frank, who is highly disciplined and would never call out without good reason, did indeed call out.  It turned out that none of the other wranglers would even return the calls that went out, asking them to come in to help, so a bunch of us took turns, not just myself without being asked.  And management did take note of who was pitching in.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #296 on: September 27, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »

I've watched a couple of the new docs and am happy to report that neither Laurent BooringZooReau nor Drew Caspar are involved.

Well then they simply cannot be any good at all!

::)     :-*

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #297 on: September 27, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »

We are getting a big windstorm.

I thought you never discussed politics!

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »

So, I skipped MICHAEL CLAYTON and began NUMBERS. I was able to get three episodes watched (there are 18 in this season's box set.)

I was very surprised to see Val Kilmer (IS Moses) as the guest star in the season premiere of NUMBERS.

Matt H.

« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »

Also on the first disc is an almost one hour documentary on the season premiere episode. I'll be watching that tomorrow afternoon.

I do plan to watch the HD of MAD MEN (the episode from two weeks ago which I still haven't caught) tomorrow while I cook and eat lunch. Don't know when I'll get to SMALLVILLE.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up