Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MADCAP HERRING  (Read 23843 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:THE MADCAP HERRING
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2004, 11:24:43 AM »

For those of you who were fans of the late Lynn Thigpen, I just found out that she was nominated for a daytime Emmy as Luna in BEAR IN THE BIG BLUE HOUSE.  What a fitting postumous tribute this is.  I hope she wins.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2004, 11:25:10 AM »

I brought us to page 3.  Hooray!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2004, 11:41:47 AM »

DRMBARNUM does Tom Wopat play Roxie or Velma?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2004, 11:42:35 AM »

Bruce, you worked with Timothy Carey?  I've heard he was an absolute, eccentric madman.  Is this true?  I remember fondly his brilliant performance in PATHS OF GLORY.  Danny DeVito's directing piece was in the show I have on tape.  The Hesseman piece was directed by Peter Bonerz.  I'd love to see the other episodes.  I wish the quality wasn't so god-awful on the one I have.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2004, 11:43:26 AM »

I was at the Los Angeles Opera last night, Dear Readers, to see/hear a new production of Puccini's Madama Butterfly.  Robert Wilson (he of Einstein on the Beach fame) directed and also handled the design and lighting design.  This production is based on one he did about ten years ago for the Bastille Opera in Paris.

L.A. Opera clearly took what they thought was a safe bet on this show.  They added six or seven non-subscription performances to the usual eight performance subscription run, and have been widely advertising it, figuring, I am sure, that Mr. Wilson's imprint on this very popular opera will bring in the crowds.

Mr. Wilson's trademark minimalism was at the heart of this production.  The sets were stripped to Zen-like simplicity.  Most of the stage floor was devoted to raked pebbles, much as you might find in a Zen garden.  There was a small square of bamboo floor that represented a house, and a polished stone curved walkway.  In Acts II and III (which were performed without a break) a bamboo sort of boardwalk was added.  Painterly lighting effects were projected on a screen that filled the back of the stage.

The direction was to produce an affect as minimal as the sets.  The singer/actors, when they moved, did so deliberately, and used stylized postures and gestures.  The costumes were stylized, too, and bordered on a sci-fi look for all except Butterfly, whose gowns (white in Act I, black in Acts II and III) suggested the simplest elements of kimono form.

I'm game for novel approaches to standard stage fare, and I have seen how simple stage movement, counterpointed with emotional music, can create a wonderful effect.  For this production, I might be willing to forgive how Mr. Wilson ignored specific references in the libretto (i.e., to rooms in the house, its sliding screens, glasses of whiskey and--critically--a sword, all of which were nowhere to be seen, or even Butterfly asking Suzuki to bring her son to her, when he is standing all of five feet away.)  What I cannot forgive, however, is how Mr. Wilson's approach simply drained this Madama Butterfly of its emotional power.  Madama Butterfly is based on a Belasco play, for heaven's sake.  Instead of heart-wrenching emotional display, what we got last night was icy affectation.

All might have been saved by the musical elements of this show, but, alas, that was not to be.  Kent Nagano, who is usually a brilliant conductor, conducted what must be the slowest Butterfly I have ever heard, perhaps to mirror the pace of the movement on the stage.  L.A. Opera triple cast the Butterfly and double cast the Pinkerton, Sharpless and Suzuki, in each case with people I've never heard of.  Amongst the cast last night, the strongest singer (and actor, for that matter) was Greg Fedderly in the role of........Goro.  The principals were adequate, at best.

My advice to the L.A. Opera:  next time, consider shifting some of that production and advertising budget into the budget for vocal talent.  Put capable singer/actors (big-named or not) into your productions and trust me, the people will come.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2004, 11:45:04 AM »

Many thanks to my well-wishers.

Panni, what you wrote is not the least bit empty and fatuous; quite the opposite.  I know what you say is true, and they are comforting words.

Emily, your advice is excellent; unfortunately, my aunt lives 1500 miles away, so my ability to follow your advice will be somewhat limited.  All I can do is call, write, and perhaps wangle an occasional visit here and there.  I already expressed to her that she should not hesitate to let us know if and when there is anything we can do, any way we can be of help.   At this distance, however, my words rang false even to my ears, no matter how well-meant they were.

Again, thanks to everyone.  You're really great people.  :)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2004, 11:47:22 AM »

In my VCR:  a blank tape to tape tonight's episode of "Life With Bonnie"

In my DVD player:  nothing

In my CD player at work:  the new recording to Sherry! and after that, the "Broadway Premiere Recording" of Amour with the wonderful Melissa Erico and Malcolm Gets.

VHS:  This week's Enterprise season finale, which is another goldurn cliff-hanger, but it pretty much telegraphed how it will be resolved, since the humanoid Xindi are ready to break with the reptilian Xindi on major destroy-the-human-race-before-they-destroy-us issues.  

WFO, this week's episode was not the season finale.  There won't be another original episode until mid-April, but the season doesn't ends until May...at least according to startrek.com.  They still haven't finished the story.

And TD, check your mail in a few days!!

~~~~ Best Vibes to Lulu!! ~~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2004, 11:55:19 AM »

DRJAY - thanks for BUTTERFLY review.   It seemed like a good idea somehow gone astray.  The design sounds intriguing nonetheless!  

But a BUTTERFLY that doesn't satisfy musically....well....it is my favorite opera and I don't stay long if it's not being well done....it's too painful.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2004, 11:56:40 AM »

The main reason I wasn't around last night was that I saw a local high school production of Children of Eden that the daughter of a friend was in.  It was very minimalistic but effective.  For the animals in both acts, they used flags with animals painted on them instead of costumes.  I thought that it worked quited well, except that in the second act, they didn't have pairs of animal flags, just all different kinds.  

Tonight I will see a high school production of Into the Woods that the daughter of another friend is in.  So I'll be out and about again.  

As for anagrams, it's quite fun reading them after someone (or something) has made them up, but me trying to make them up just makes my head hurt...so I don't try to do it very often. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

LOL! I don't know JRand53, but if I can get backstage to meet him you I will do my best to find out!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2004, 12:06:17 PM »

:o

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2004, 12:11:57 PM »

...So basically, this post is nothing but a shameless plea for good vibes, well wishes, whatever you have to give to me...
There's nothing shameless about such a plea, Lulu.  Good vibes to both your aunt and yourself.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »

I'm waiting for a high school production of "The Faculty: The Musical"

If only the authors would get off their buttcheeks and turn it into a musical.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2004, 12:24:17 PM »

Lulu, best of vibes to you and your family.

I have always sent cards and continued to send them during the ups as well as the down times of a long term illness.  Sometimes it is all you can do when someone close to you is far away.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2004, 12:27:39 PM »

Which of the two roles has the costume with the fishnet stockings?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2004, 12:28:17 PM »

Media check:
DVD: "A Night With Secret Garden"
CD 1. "Blue Train" John D Loudermilk
      2."The EP Collection"  Freddy Cannon
      3. "The Very Best of" Damita Jo
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2004, 12:30:00 PM »

elmore3003 you missed the cheat link yesterday, courtesy of WFO.  http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/

JMK is Gabe feeling better today?

CD is being temperamental today.  :P
DVD MAMBO ITALIANO
TIVO JUDAS

Jane

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2004, 12:43:19 PM »

Tomovoz I stumbled upon the group, The Secret Garden by accident.  I had worn out my tape of the musical, SECRET GARDEN when I happened to see a CD titled, SONGS OF THE SECRET GARDEN.  Rushing, I grabbed the CD, purchased it and brought it home.  You can imagine my surprise when I listened to my new purchase.  ???  This was several years ago and I still haven’t replaced my tape-one of these days.

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2004, 12:55:36 PM »

DR Jane. I have three of their Cds. I thought Jose was the only person in the States who had heard of them. They are touring here in the next few weeks. They won the Eurovision song contest (an ABBA reference!) the year "Riverdance" was born. ""Rivedance was about 10 minutes long and was the enteretainment provided by host city Dublin.
Secret Garden's song was the Norwegian entry. (MBarnum will be familiar with the Icelandic entries for the festival).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2004, 01:09:34 PM »

Tomovoz once I got over my shock of what I had purchased I found I enjoyed the music.  I purchased the CD in Ashland.  I suspect their music is fairly popular here.  I will have to investigate now. :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2004, 01:24:37 PM »

Good afternoon all

Lulu - Many good vibes to you.  I do hope things get better for you...

Media check - not much of anything at the moment.  I'm currently on a watching cable/listening to car radio kick, for some reason.  However, I did throw in FINDING NEMO after the oscars, so that's still in my DVD player.
speaking of which...
Question for anyone who's seen FNDING NEMO - Does anyone else see a similarity between the Marlin/Dory relationship and that of Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby?  I'm thinking specifically of the "you mean you don't like me anymore?" scene.  Ellen seems to be channeling Kate during that bit.  Or maybe i'ts just me?  Anyone agree?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2004, 01:26:11 PM »

Timothy Carey was certifiable, but I liked him.  He had a loony assistant fellow with few teeth who followed him everywhere.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2004, 01:37:25 PM »

I believe starting next week, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE moves to 9 p.m. WEdnesday night on UPN. The network is going to try it in that time period for awhile to see if it can do better than trying to butt heads with SMALLVILLE at 8.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2004, 01:41:59 PM »

Thanks for pointing me to your review, DR JRand. I enjoyed reading it. Pretty much what I expected and looking forward to seeing it.

The inner child in me will undoubtedly never die and thus loves movies like this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2004, 02:05:53 PM »

For those in the LA area - listen up, DRJay - the Grammy-winning Takacs String Quartet is playing at the Schoenberg Hall, UCLA on Saturday and Sunday. The complete Beethoven quartet cycle over three two evening performances. They're marvelous! Go see them if you have a chance.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2004, 02:20:56 PM »

For those in the LA area - listen up, DRJay - the Grammy-winning Takacs String Quartet is playing at the Schoenberg Hall, UCLA on Saturday and Sunday. The complete Beethoven quartet cycle over three two evening performances. They're marvelous! Go see them if you have a chance.

Dear Reader Panni has appointed herself the keeper of my cultural engagement calendar.   ;)

I will have to miss the quartet, though.  Tomorrow evening I will be seeing a new play called Wonder of the World, which is playing at the West Coast Ensemble.  And on Sunday, I head down to the County of Orange for a big-hat lunch with my Mom, followed by a performance of Candide at Opera Pacific.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2004, 02:28:50 PM »

...And on Sunday, I head down to the County of Orange for a big-hat lunch with my Mom...
"I'd like the Fedora, with a little Cloche on the side, please!"

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2004, 02:34:50 PM »

Sunday, I head down to the County of Orange for a big-hat lunch with my Mom

Does anybody...

still eat...

a hat?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2004, 02:44:31 PM »

I am making some luncheon now, then I shall try to write a few more pages.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2004, 02:45:59 PM »

Meanwhile, there's this story, which gives new meaning to the phrase "having a senior moment!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up