Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MADCAP HERRING  (Read 22460 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE MADCAP HERRING
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2004, 02:49:46 PM »

Der Brucer has the new speakers set up, along with the disc player and amp.  He's giving it a test with Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Marty had been snoozing on my bed, but raised his head to give a most dignified scowl when the sound of gunfire errupted from the living room.  The speakers seem to be doing a good job.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2004, 02:55:05 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Page Four Dance![/size][/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)[/move][move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2004, 03:05:59 PM »

The verdicts are in, and all I can say is...

[size=12][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FREE MARTHA!!![/move][/size]

« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 03:06:33 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2004, 03:11:33 PM »

The verdicts are in, and all I can say is...

[size=12][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FREE MARTHA!!![/move][/size]

anagrammed =

HEAR ME FART
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 03:12:23 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2004, 03:14:40 PM »

LOL

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2004, 03:19:51 PM »

I have been watching the new Criterion Olivier Richard III and just noticed a funny gaffe--at about 11 minutes before the end of the film, shortly after the battle of Bosworth has gotten underway, there is a nice big white delivery truck speeding down the road in the distance.  I have decided the truck is speeding because it is a Horse Delivery for Richard and the driver knows he's late.  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 03:36:03 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jay

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2004, 03:22:06 PM »

anagrammed =

HEAR ME FART

Ah yes, HHW retains its reputation as the qua non salon of intellectual discourse.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2004, 03:32:39 PM »

Obviously she's not going to do twenty years and obviously she'll appeal and obviously the trial will cost hundreds of thousands more.  It's her first offense - slap her around and be done with it.  What is particularly frustrating is that murderers and rapists and thieves who steal from people who can't afford it get off on technicalities or on the whim of a jury.  People like William F. Orr's beloved get to do jail time, but these other people who deserve to be put away forever, walk free.

Emily

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2004, 03:47:25 PM »

Lulu - I definitely understand the geographic distance that separates you from your aunt.  The attached link is to the Gilda's Club website.  I had the wonderful opportunity to work there as both a staff member and volunteer at the Montreal branch and saw how much it can help.  If your aunt lives anywhere near one of the many locations, I strongly suggest she check it out (and you too of course, because as a close family member, you too are going through this disease in some way).

www.gildasclub.org
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 03:48:00 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2004, 03:58:39 PM »

Emily Gilda’s Club is far more cheerful than most cancer sites.  I enjoyed entering it.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2004, 04:02:26 PM »

Lulu - I know that ovarian cancer has a reputation as a fast-moving disease. But my next-door neighbor has been living with it for a number of years. And my mother was diagnosed with it when she was 69 and lived another five years, enjoying herself, even traveling, for quite a bit of that time. So, I don't know how far along in the disease your aunt is, but things may not be quite as dire as they seemed when you first found out about the diagnosis.
Again, I know nothing of her particular circumstances, but am offering up what I do know from experience.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »

WFO, this week's episode was not the season finale.  There won't be another original episode until mid-April, but the season doesn't ends until May...at least according to startrek.com.  They still haven't finished the story.

DR Jed:  Thanks for the info.  It's so hard to tell what constitutes a "season" of a series any more, since they always break them up into little pieces with reruns.  Presumably because production values prevent them from turning out episodes at anything like one per week any more.

Good to know that Captain Archer will be romance-romancing along for a while more, allbeit not naked from the waist down.  But then again, the only musical I've seen him in was Ta Da!--anyone remember that one?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2004, 04:35:29 PM »

DR Jay, enjoy the CANDIDE; it's directed by my friend Jeffrey Lentz, a wonderful tenor, and conducted by John de Main, who was the musical director for the BABES IN TOYLAND I adapted for ther Houston Grand Opera.  Maestro de Main is the best conductor of PORGY AND BESS, and a wonderful musician.  I hope you have a great time.

The discussion of MADAMA BUTTERFLY reminds me of the film with Richard Troxell, which I saw on DVD last week.  Beautiful film!  Some strange touches, though, and I thought the film showed signs of influence from MISS SAIGON, not vice versa.

DR Lulu, I send kind thoughts to your ailing relative.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2004, 05:01:06 PM »

DR Jed:  Thanks for the info.

You're welcome...but you mean "George," don't you? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2004, 05:12:09 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  I'm done writing for the day, and I've eaten a hamburger (sans bun) and a sweet potato (allowable once a week).

Jay

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2004, 05:58:38 PM »

USA Today is taking a poll regarding President Bush's proposed Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage.  Please vote and forward this to others.

The URL is:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-24-gay-marriage-survey.htm

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »

No one has anything to say?  Tonight I watch American Splendor.  What are all of you doing tonight?  For example, tonight I watch American Splendor.

George

« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2004, 06:26:08 PM »

Tonight I'm going to see a local high school production of Into the Woods.  I'll leave fairly soon so that I can get something to eat before the show.  I'm quite hungry right now, actually...but the show doesn't start until 7:30 and the high school is only about 10 minutes away.  After that, I'll come home and watch the tape of "Life With Bonnie" that I set up to tape.  After that, who knows?  That's what I'm doing tonight.

Danise

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2004, 06:27:32 PM »

Good evening all.

TCB said:

Re:ANAGRAMS - NEW
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 08:31:59pm »  
Danise, my dear, are you okay?  Usually yours posts are jam-packed with delightful stories, but you suddenly seem so quiet.  Is everything okay?  If not, please let us know what we can do to help.

I can’t thank you enough for your kind words, TCB.  I just wasn’t myself for a few days due to many reasons, large and small.  Funny how things seem to pile up and hit you all at one time Anyway, it’s over for the most part now.

Well, here we are, March 5th.   I started the diet on February 2nd and have lost 13 pound!  Yay!    Only 2 pound away from being half way there.  

My work computer came up with “An unexpected error has occurred.”  Which prompted me to ask our tech guy if  there ever is an ”expected” error.  I’m mean it’s sooo annoying when it’s unexpected.  If you expected  it, at least you could plan for it.  Am I right?  He said he’d look into the problem.  Frankly, I’m not very hopeful.   He has yet to answer any of my other questions though he promised to look into them as well.  Sigh.  

Getting an answer–now THAT would be unexpected.   :D

I’ve finished about half of “Dragon Heart” and am really enjoying it.  It has all of my favorite story elements.  Dragons, swords, knights and a little sorcery to boot–how could I help but love it?

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember the movie, The Sword and the Sorcerer?  I wish I could see it again.  I remember it was fun but I think I’ve seen so many of this type of movie that I’m getting my plots mixed up.  

The local Ren Fest starts this weekend.  I look forward to it every year.  It was moved from Largo (which is over thirty miles away from where I live) to Tampa.  No more having to cross one of those thrice cursed bridges to get to it!  Yay!  I haven’t decided which week end I’ll go yet.  It depends on if/when a friend of mine wants to go.  Strange fellow.  I never hear from him all year long, then come Ren Fest time, he calls and says, “So, when are we going?”  Stranger still we work in the same building.  I’ve said we should do lunch more than once but he never seems to want to go.   I don't get it.

Best vibes to Lulu and Gabe .  Prayers for your Aunt, Lulu and well wishes, too.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2004, 06:49:31 PM »

You're welcome...but you mean "George," don't you? ;)

Of course, I meant Jeorge, not Ged.  Uh...  And it's so confusing when they spell in French because J is zhi, not jay, and G is zhay, not gee.  Gee, I'm sorry I got your name wrong, Jay.  You can call me Lizha with a zhi.

Anyway, instead of ranting about all the misery in my life this evening, I realize that I have been receiving more than my fair share of good vibes from this here site and the lovely people aboard her, so it might be better to give back a little:

FOR DEAR READERSON GABE:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

FOR DEAR READERDAUGHTER RACHEL:

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

FOR DEAR READER LULU:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

And for anyone else in need:

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~
~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~
~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~
[/move]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Panni

« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2004, 06:51:22 PM »

What are all of you doing tonight?  For example, tonight I watch American Splendor.
For example I will finish cleaning my tiny house, eat a Snow White chocolate cupcake, do some writing, catch up on my bills and read my birthday-gifted Natalie Wood book which I started last night. And I may do some knitting. A busy night in the City of Studio.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 07:02:04 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2004, 06:59:41 PM »

Oh my.....what a strange movie EXPRESSO BONGO...and the girl in the scene MR BK mentioned yesterday is  one of the funniest things I have ever SEEN!  There is a split screen argument between Laurence Harvey and Sylvia Syms that made me laugh...and Cliff Richard is one weird looking wag!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2004, 07:00:22 PM »

And thank you again for all the good vibes for Rachel.
She's very upset tonight. A friend of mine in Boulder told me that a 21-year old friend of her daughter's had hanged himself. She said she thought Rachel might know him. It turns out that not only did she know him, but they had been friends in high school and first year college. She had lost contact with him in the past year, but remembers him as an extremely upbeat person. She asked me how things can change so much in a year. How do you answer a question like that?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2004, 07:00:57 PM »

Danise, I do remember THE SWORD & THE SORCERER with Lee Horsely and the lovely Kathleen Beller (what ever happened to her?)...and George Maharis, of all people.   I quite enjoyed it's pulpy feel and it also had a very nice score.  Glad you're enjoying DRAGONHEART thus far.

Speaking of which, a trip to Amoeba got me a previously viewed (I guess that's polite for "used") DVD of DRAGONHEART (I've already got one...new...but you rarely see it anymore.  It's apparently currently out-of-print), as well as a copy of my film DOA.   I also got a copy of NOTTING HILL, which the lovely wife has never seen and another box set of the Ely Landau Film Theatre stuff...with IN CELEBRATION, DELICATE BALANCE, THREE SISTERS, HOMECOMING, and MAN IN THE GLASS BOOTH.  I expect will be watching one of those or NOTTING HILL tonight.  Also got a new Brook Benton album called "Songs I Love To Sing"...mostly recognizable standards.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 07:02:59 PM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2004, 07:04:08 PM »

Me, I hope Martha gets a long stretch at the Big House!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2004, 07:12:24 PM »

Beller is, I believe, still married to Thomas Dolby and a mum, but not acting anymore as far as I know.  I had dinner with her and her then hubby a few times (the one before Thomas Dolby - maybe I'm wrong about Dolby - maybe it's someone like him) - she's very nice, with a rather wicked sense of humor.  She once asked me why I didn't like cats (the animal, not the musical) and I did my standard "cats suck baby's breath" remark.  I cannot print her response but it was rather shocking and hilarious at the same time.

Jay

« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2004, 07:14:04 PM »

Me, I hope Martha gets a long stretch at the Big House!

Dang!  And neither Ida Lupino nor Susan Hayward available to play the doyenne of home environment refinement when they do the movie of her experience behind bars.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2004, 07:15:03 PM »

Once more, good vibes to Rachael.   :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2004, 07:16:25 PM »

...You can call me Lizha with a zhi...
Sounds to me like Lizha's denturhz are coming loosch again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up