Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 23931 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2004, 09:44:56 PM »

The best laid plans... I got comfy an hour or so ago with two books and a magazine, looking forward to lots of great reading. Next thing I knew, an hour had passed and I woke up. Aaaargh.
I'll try again now.

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2004, 09:45:13 PM »

I haven't bought Kritzerland yet, but I just didn't want to miss out on the autographed copy of Kritzer Time. I will get Kritzerland later this month as well.

I am confusing aren't I.

Michael

« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2004, 09:45:14 PM »

Does anyone have the LP version of the broadway cast of Flower Drum Song? I was wondering if you do can you look on the back that has the bio for Myoshi Umeki and see what tv show it says she won an emmy award for. Trying to figure it out having a discussion with DR Matt about it
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2004, 09:46:51 PM »

Pinko Lee?  Wasn't he a famous kid show host?

I turned off The Big Bounce (Bore) and am now watching  a totally fascinating film from the UK made in 1960 called All Night Long.  It's a modren day version of Othello set in a jazz club (I mean the whole film takes place in the club).  Richard Attenborough, Patrick McGoohan, Betsy Blair, Paul Harris and Keith Michell are the eclectic cast, but it's the supporting folks who make this a must-have - all playing themselves - Johnny Dankworth, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Mingus, Tubby Hayes and a plethora of Brit jazz greats all playing tunes non-stop.  The movie itself is rather silly, but when Brubeck sits down and plays It's a Raggy Waltz, well, heaven is not too strong a word.  Great black-and-white photography by Ted Scaife.  Loving it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2004, 09:47:56 PM »

I will hold you a copy of both books, how's that?  Can't read Kritzer Time without reading Kritzerland (I mean, you can, but it won't have the same impact).

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2004, 09:51:09 PM »

Michael Shayne, I had that LP up until this last summer when I had my garage sale! Sorry!

I didn't know Miyoshi Umeki had won an emmy! I know she won an Oscar for her performance in Sayonara, however. Is that what you needed to know?

Michael

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2004, 09:54:14 PM »

Michael Shayne, I had that LP up until this last summer when I had my garage sale! Sorry!

I didn't know Miyoshi Umeki had won an emmy! I know she won an Oscar for her performance in Sayonara, however. Is that what you needed to know?

Need the emmy win. I think the bio also said she was the first actress to win and emmy and oscar (at that time)
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2004, 10:01:33 PM »

Oh, I wuz only funnin'.  What care I if we achieve a new low and by quite a margin, too.  I care not, it is just The Way of Things.  I've got the McGuire Sisters singing Subways are for Sleeping to assuage my bitter tears of Emmanuel Kant.

Immanuel Kant was an old piss-ant who was very rarely stable.

There.  Are we still in danger of hitting a new low?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »

I didn't know Miyoshi Umeki won an Emmy. The only TV show that I know of on which she was a regular was THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER.

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2004, 10:08:26 PM »

Top female TV personality on the West coast!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2004, 10:08:58 PM »

It might have been a local emmy award for something. Not a national one
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2004, 10:09:33 PM »

That's all it says on the Album Michael.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2004, 10:11:44 PM »

That's all it says on the Album Michael.

No mention of what show it was? Just that she won an emmy???
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2004, 10:19:17 PM »

As above in post # 129 Michael.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2004, 10:22:25 PM »

As above in post # 129 Michael.

Thanks. I missed post #129.

Now if I can only find a way to get to Australia and New zeleand using my delya sky miles!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2004, 10:24:09 PM »

I just read a short story that I co-wrote which was in a mystery anthology that came out in 1984. Haven't read it in years, true -- but it was like reading something I've never seen before. A strange feeling.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2004, 10:24:35 PM »

I think "Hobittair" is up and operating but you need large eagles.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2004, 10:40:06 PM »

What I do recall is that in conjunction with the short story and with the mystery TV show I was writing at the time, I got to do a mystery writers fashion layout in some magazine. The idea was that they took mystery writers, printed a bit of something sinister they had written and had them pose looking suitably mysterious in expensive clothing. All the other writers used were men, so I was carrying a heavy load -- representing all female mystery writers. (I have to say without false modesty that I'm better looking than Agatha Christie.) They dressed me up in a spiffy trench coat and very expensive thigh high suede boots with stiletto heels. But I was having trouble trying to look suitably mysterious just sitting there like so much fish. I needed a prop!  So I asked them to give me a cigarette in a LONG holder. As soon as I had it in my hand I became Mata Hari. Ooooh, I looked so dangerous and mysterious with my thigh high boots peeking out of my trench coat, a murderous gleam in my evil eyes.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 10:42:36 PM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2004, 10:40:54 PM »

Good Evening!  -Again....

Well, I did not drink.  Instead, I played a game of pool, and ending up winning!!  Well, my team mate and I won, but I was the one who cleared off the table.  *I would have had a cocktail or two, but I knew that I was already so physically and mentally exhausted, that if I had had a drink, I probably would have ended up falling asleep downstairs in the bar.  As it is right now, I'm having a hard time keeping my eyelids open.  Thankfully, I don't fly out until 4:30, so I can sleep in, and head over to the Chattanooga Choo-Choo and pick up some souvenirs for my nieces and nephew - before I head to the airport.

As for Frank songs... I worked on a Sinatra revue a few years ago, and ended up listening to a bunch of his material from various parts of his career.  His early work simply astounded me.  Great phrasing, a clean voice, and the man could swing!  There was one song - which name I can't remember right now - but it started off with a kind of jungle-drums intro, and then went into the song proper - lots of fun.  Oh, something about the coffee trade in Brazil maybe?

???

Well, I need to finish up some e-mails before heading to bed...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2004, 10:41:07 PM »

Last night, I saw a nearly unbarable production of "Sweeney Todd" at City Opera.  I am an enormous fan of "Sweeney", but this production was completely lifeless and unenjoyable.  First of all, the enormous State Theatre immediatly stripped any creepiness from the work.  There's nothing eery about an enormous and brightly lit opera house.  Rather than begining the evening with the wonderful organ solo that serves as a sort of overture, the pit simply tuned up as they would before a concert and began "The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd", which was sung by a chorus of weak singers whose vibrattos threw one another off pitch.  The audience couldn't help but be distracted by the multi-colored pieces of tape all over the floor of the stage and the enormous supertitles being projected above the performers, both of which detracted from my enjoyment of the show (Call me a shallow audience member!).  Then we were introduced to Timothy Nolen as Sweeney.  Clearly a talented singer, Nolen filled the theatre with his beautiful bass, but didn't do much else.  His acting was wooden, if not non-existant, and he tried to match the tone of his speaking voice with his singing voice, causing his dialogue to sound completely unnatural and forced.  He, along with many members of the cast, sang at one dynamic for the entire performance, without any variation whatsoever.  Elaine Paige's Mrs. Lovett was fine, but she had a tendency to slow the tempo of her solos and muck up the lyrics, which you really can't do when the lyrics are being projected above your head!  She also seemed to be channelling Patti LuPone all evening, saying certain lines exactly the way Ms. LuPone did when she played the role.  Scott Hogsed (A young man with a rather unfortunate name) was a travesty as Anthony.  He sang as well as spoke with a thick Italian accent, making him comletely unbelievable and unpleasant to watch.  Some much needed acting ability was brought to the cast by Judy Blazer as the Beggar Woman, who was both subtle and incredibly moving when necessary.  Tonna Miller sang the role of Johanna beautifully, even though she was the only singer who you needed supertitles to be able to understand.  Walter Charles was a fine Turpin, though he delivered one line in a New York accent, which was completely out of character.  Strangely, though they included Turpin's "Johanna", the scene where he proposes to Johanna was cut.  Regardless, Charles played the role very nicely.  The true highlight of the evening, though, was Keith Jameson as Tobias.  Not only does he have a gorgeous voice, but he's a fine actor who suited his role.  The staging, which is almost an exact replica of Prince's original direction, is completely boring.  In my estimation, most people who will see this production are already familiar with "Sweeney Todd".  If that is the case, why show them the same production they've seen before?  I've seen this staging performed many times and, frankly, I'm sick of it.  Also, the original lighting does not work in the State Theatre because it's far too big and bright and it almost gives an air of cheeriness that is completely inappropriate.   I was especially disapointed by the "Epiphany", which is one of my favorite moments in the score.  Nolen seemed to be preserving his voice, so he over-compensated for his vocal reserve by thrashing about the stage and rolling on the floor.  I'd much rather hear my Sweeney spitting out the syllables passionatly than hear him singing them in the same lovely, lilting fashion with which he might sing "Oh, What A Beautiful Morning".  I enjoyed a recent high school production of "Sweeney Todd" more thoroughly than I enjoyed this production because, though the young singers could hardly handle the score, they could at least act!  This piece seemed dead and unexciting last night at City Opera.  I was incredibly disapointed.

...That being said, I'll be seeing it again on the 27th because I already have tickets.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 11:00:44 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2004, 10:48:21 PM »

Quote from: Jenny link=board=4;threadid=200;start=msg31418#msg31418[quote

...That being said, I'll be seeing it again on the 27th because I already have tickets.  ::)

Ouch. Why not give them away? That way you don't have to suffer through it again and somebody else at least gets a chance to see a production of SWEENEY TODD.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 10:50:03 PM by Panni »

Jenny

« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2004, 10:53:56 PM »

Ouch. Why not give them away? That way you don't have to suffer through it again and somebody else at least gets a chance to see a production of SWEENEY TODD.

I might.

I will add, though, that they were selling the most adorable t-shirts in the lobby!  One (hot pink) that says "Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pies: We'll serve anyone!" and another (beige) that says "Sweeney Todd's Tonsorial Parlor: The closest shave in town!".  Very cute.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2004, 10:54:36 PM »

Jenny, you are frighteningly bright.  I stay away from Sweeney Todd because I don't want anything soiling my memory of the Broadway production with the ONLY and BEST Sweeney, Len Cariou.  The only other times I've seen it were out here in LA just before they taped it (very disappointing, as the set was scaled down, and George Hearn didn't do it for me, and Angela was already a caricature, which she wasn't on Broadway) and then that concert thing with Hearn and Lupone, which I loathed.  

If Sweeney can't rise from the grave at the end of The Ballad of Sweeney Todd,  then I don't want to see it.

Jenny

« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2004, 11:02:52 PM »

Jenny, you are frighteningly bright.

Why, thank you!  :)

If Sweeney can't rise from the grave at the end of The Ballad of Sweeney Todd,  then I don't want to see it.

Ah!  There's the one difference between the original staging and the City Opera staging!  Instead of rising out of a grave, Sweeney simply got up off of the floor, which doesn't have nearly the same effect.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2004, 11:10:39 PM »

Thanks for your review Jenny.  I was toying with seeing Sweeney Todd when I'm up in New York next week, but your review mentioned the major reason I was hesitant about seeing this production - the State Theater.  I know it was supposedly designed as a dance space, but, still...  ???

However, do you happen to know if Keith Jameson is listed as singing all the performances?  I worked with Keith many years ago when was still a baritone(!), and his name was Keith Richard (!!! - which he changed for obvious reasons).  Great guy.  And I also worked with Walter Charles too when he did Judge Turpin at the Kennedy Center two years ago - wow! - two years already!  *I would have loved to see him as Sweeney - he covered both Cariou and Hearn at various points during the Broadway run and the tour.  And another great guy.   -And his stories of the original cast of Sweeney are priceless!

*And there was also a great article in one of the papers on Mark Delavan and his preparation for the role of Sweeney - I wonder if he's in next week at all.  Hmm....

In any case, I'll most likely try catching Avenue Q again, and/or Wicked and/or Wonderful Town.  But I'll most likely be spending my post-rehearsal hours catching up with friends and talking with them about the possibility of moving up there in June.  We'll see...

OK... My bedtime was about an hour ago...  Alas...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2004, 11:12:06 PM »

Rather, I should have said....

And again... A Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2004, 11:14:12 PM »

I'm afraid I shan't be a late night denizen ce soir. (Although it's pretty late now - so I'll amend that to a "later" night denizen.) I'm not sleepy, but sitting at the computer is not going to help me get sleepy, is it?
So, good night, my friends.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2004, 11:14:52 PM »

When Sweeney was done here in LA (the tour) the set was but a pale shadow of what it was on Broadway, and the grave was gone.  The chorus all got in a circle while screeching "Sweeney, Sweeney, Sweeney" and then he was just there.  On Broadway, it's one of the great entrances of all time.  Before the show, there are two gravediggers digging earth out of a hole on stage, and then, at the end of the number up he comes from that grave.  Then, at the end of the show, both he and Mrs. Lovett come up from the grave.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2004, 11:15:37 PM »

Dear reader Panni is a Wussburger.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2004, 11:15:55 PM »

I, on the other hand, am NOT a Wussburger.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up