Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGRY JEW  (Read 25824 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HUNGRY JEW
« on: March 12, 2004, 12:45:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, and I was such a Hungry Jew that I almost ATE the notes.  So, now it's time to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 12:01:23 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE HUNGRY JEW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:57:43 AM »

CDs" "Wicked", "The Best Of Gilbert O'Sullivan" and "The Best Of Candi Staton".
DVD and Video: Empty.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 01:15:20 AM »

I feel much better.  I had a couple of pieces of salami with some swiss cheese.  I TIVOd one of my favorite "little" movies today and I was just watching a bit of - just terrific.  Love with the Proper Stranger.

Now, where in tarnation WAS everyone last night?  I go away to slave over a hot CD and everyone takes a vacation.  Harumppph.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 01:26:06 AM »

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for all your kind words regarding my grandmother dying a couple of days ago.  It really shows what a wonderful place HHW is!

Secondly, where was I?  I was at my sister's house taking a tour of her newly built house!  A couple of days ago, my sister got notice that she can start moving in!!  As soon as she's done the bulk of her moving, I can start moving into her old house (I'm going to rent it from her).  That will be a major chore...actually the cleaning of my apartment will be the major chore.  I'm not very neat at all.  It's a curse.

In my CD burner RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND is a blank CD-RW for a Sarah Brightman compilation CD for my mom (I like to preview CDs that I make before I burn the final version).  A couple of weeks ago we, went to see Sarah in concert in Seattle and it was fantastic...well, I thought so.  My mom liked the concert, but really only when Sarah sang the opera stuff, not the pop music.  I said that I could put together a CD of her operatic songs for her.  I am putting in some theater stuff...actually, that's going to be the first disc then I'll assemble the more traditional opera stuff.  She loved that idea.  So that's what I'm doing.  I'll listen to it at work Friday and of course, change the order things quite a few times.

After that will be the new Broadway cast recording of Wonderful Town!!  It just arrived yesterday (Thursday)!!  My niece wants to hear it also because she's a fan of Jessica Westfeldt (who co-wrote and starred in "Kissing Jessica Stein."  I liked that movie, too.

In my VCR:  a blank tape to tape The Today Show.  They're going to have the person from "The Apprentice" who got fired last night (Thursday).

Tonight (Friday), I'm ushering for "Reno in Rebel Without a Pause"  I have never heard her but the description sounds very interesting:

Reno is a high-energy stream-of-consciousness left-of-center solo comedic performer currently living in New York City. She adapted her show Reno In Rage and Rehab into an Ace-Award nominated HBO comedy special, and her newest piece, Rebel Without A Pause, Unrestrained Reflections On September 11, began in New York’s LaMaMa Theatre prior to its commercial off-Broadway transfer in 2002.

I'll have to leave work at about 5:30 and won't get home until late.  I don't know how long her show is.  I'll probably go out to eat afterwards and stay out later.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 01:33:07 AM »

Yesterday, Jed wrote:
Ann and TCB are already recruited for the job hunt in a couple months.  George, you can keep your ears open for me, too!  I have library experience, ya know.

Jed (and anyone else who's interested), if you go to Timberland's Home Page, in the upper right hand corner is a link to all of the job announcements.  Unfortunately, they don't take applications unless it's for a specific, posted job.  But, they always list everything that's available.  Good luck!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 01:34:08 AM »

Oh, and a happy haineshisway.com birthday to Dennis, who lurks, I think.  I think it's former poster Dennis Clancy, if I'm reading the e-mail address, but I don't think Dennis has posted for quite some time.  Happy Birthday.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 03:03:35 AM »

Happy Birthday Dennis.Media update: We just watched "Smokey Joe's Cafe" again. An enjoyable show for me anyway. Saw it staged out here in Oz and enjoyed it there too. Don't however, really enjoy the Broadway cast album which seems a little flat
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 03:39:50 AM »

And I'm the Embarrassed Jew. Said I'd be back last night -- and fell asleep. Closed my eyes for a few minutes 10:30-ish and now it's 3:30 and I just woke up with a show tune blasting through my head and now am WIDE AWAKE. Oh well.

Congrats on finishing the CD, Mr. bk.

CD - Bill Evans: Conversations with Myself - Great, great, great!
Walkman - Pals
DVD - broken - must get new one
VCR - tape of Monday night's movie, JUDAS, which I have to watch, but still haven't watched

Back to bed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 03:54:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  Dear BK, it seems word of mouth is getting the Kritzer Saga out and about.  I'm happy others are learning about the books.  You may be our next Cult Novelist.   I meant to mention as well yesterday that the new cover looks terrific.  I just got part one of the Saga in cloth two days ago, so I'll have all three books in cloth and next time you're in the City, I hope you'll sign them.

So, todays topic of conversation:

CD:  weird mix of things:  compilations of film songs by decade from Rhino
                                   Judy Collins' Wildflowers album
                                   Metropolitan Opera stars sing Broadway & Hollywood

DVD:  nada

VCR:  The Sopranos episode I taped last Sunday and have yet to watch

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 04:47:43 AM »

Even though it's not Wednesday, here's a question for DR Jose. Is the Errant and Truant DR of whom you speak still at MIT and the Metropolitan Opera or has he moved on to other venues while he awaits his big break in the entertainment firmament?

It's 7:40am and I'm all alone at HHW.

I have a plethora of CDs to choose from at work. CDs are one of my weaknesses. Yes, Hainsies, I, Ben, am a CDaholic. I went to Academy earlier in the week and found a copy of the OBC of Follies which I have had on tape and vinyl for years but not CD. Hooray. I also found a copy of The Act. Not Miss Minelli at her best, I admit, but for $5.99 I'll take it. I also found Angela's Gypsy, Grease, Mack and Mabel, OBC of Into the Woods, Noel Coward in Las Vegas and 3 more CDs in that wonderful "Capitol Sings" series mentioned here many moons ago, Capitol Sings Hoagy Carmichael, Capitol Sings Cole Porter and Capitol Sings Hollywood (which is different from the Capitol Sings Academy Award Winners). I'm on the lookout for the Capitol Sings Kid Songs for Adults (or something like that) and the Capitol Sings Irving Berlin. My CD listening is booked for quite a while. Anthony has been watching Midsomer Murders. He took them out of the Long Island Library. It's a large collection and he's loving it. We have no other watching plans this weekend, though I do have passes to the Museum of Television and Radio and we might go uptown this weekend to see something. We were discussing with a friend yesterday the wonderful Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall and it made me want to see it, since I only have it on tape and vinyl (I heard the CD is out of print). I've always wanted to see it and since we have a fairly free weekend, we may do that.

And as I sign off, I am still the only one at 7:47am.

TTFN
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 04:50:10 AM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 04:52:39 AM »

For some reason, I can't access today's notes.  Phooey.

CD: Since der Brucer has been trying to organize our CDs into some kind of order (snicker snicker  8)), we've been listening to all sorts of odds and ends.  But the major listen has been some Mason Williams, mainly because he's burned a copy for a friend specifically for "The Last Great Waltz" and it seemed silly to burn just one song.  If I can, I'll coax him into burning a second copy.

DVD: This must say something about us.  On the same day (but in two different stores) we added to our collection the original Little Shop of Horrors and Schindler's List.  Double bill, anyone?

The buzzards have left, at least for now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 05:10:00 AM »

From the results of my "physical attraction test" at www.match.com

(The site also offers a Ph-D designed personality text.)

"You like men with strong, manly noses ... Only 1 in 10 men (9%) are uniquely drawn to this type of man over a more traditional mainstream type."

« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 05:10:30 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 05:19:12 AM »

"You like men with strong, manly noses ... Only 1 in 10 men (9%) are uniquely drawn to this type of man over a more traditional mainstream type."
Strong, manly noses?  What's that supposed to mean, you have a Jimmy Durante thing going on?

"Hey, watch where you're sniffin', fella...ooh!  OOH!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 05:27:19 AM »

Strong manly noses... a fine way to start a conversation! PennyO seems to be on East Coast time, and soon to be on Northwest time. I feel my spring bulbs hollering for help against the onslaught of slugs. Who needs indoor plumbing? when slug bait beckons?
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 05:45:17 AM »

I seem to be attracted to:

"men who have striking chins that are prominent and squared-off with a crisp line at the base."

and my favorite face type is:

known scientifically as "Ecto-Mesomorph"

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 06:15:00 AM »

CD player: I Can Get It For You Wholesale.

By now I've become a little bored with the Streisand numbers. But Marilyn Cooper still sounds fresh.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 06:25:35 AM »

According to today's Times Tonya Pinkens is demanding $50,000 a week for the Broadway transfer of CAROLINE OR CHANGE.  Rehearsals and "put in" have temporarily been stopped and a large ad in Sunday's Times has been cancelled.  I know that at one point Ms. Pinkens was on the list of the ten people in New York who owed the most child support, but jeopardizing an entire production is not the way to get it.  According to the article, none of the other cast members are being asked to sign their contracts until Ms. Pinkens signs hers.  I haven't heard her side of the story, and allegedly a new offer has been put to her.  I'm sure she doesn't make a fortune recurring on her soap, but it is still unfair to take it out on the investors of her show.  Although a Tony winner, she is not really well known enough (ie: a box office "draw") to demand that kind of money, and I hope they don't cave in and give it to her.

CD - A collection of "rare" Cole Porter.  This collection of 4 individual CDs features original Broadway and London cast recordings of Porter shows that are already under Public Domain in England.  Much of it is readily available elsewhere, but there are some tracks that are indeed rare.

DVD - GRAND HOTEL - This holds up wonderfully and is the original "multiple characters in one setting" film.  The big difference is that unlike films that followed it, all the major characters are joined together in the final storyline.  Garbo is wonderful as always and Joan Crawford shows that at one time in her career she was an actress instead of the caricature she became.  John Barrymore, Wallace Berry and Lewis Stone are as fine as always and it is nice to see Gene Herschold as an actor instead of just a name on a Humanitarian Award.  But the picture is stolen by Lionel Barrymore, who is a total delight.  There are several good extras too, including a Vitaphone Musical Short which spoofs the film and is very funny.

VHS - Nothing

Cassette - Working my way through the new Jack Benny collection.  While very funny, I was appaled by this bit of dialogue from a late-30s broadcast:

Mary: Jack, why can't we pull into the garage?

Jack: Some of Rochester's relatives are living there.

Mary: Maybe we can put them in a Minstrel Show?

Jack: That's okay.  I'm going to plant cotton in the back yard and they can work on the crop.

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 06:38:28 AM »

It is true...it is true - out of sight - out of mind!  :'(

But I am back from Kansas City to report that while everything there is up to date, there are no people there to enjoy it.  It is an empty city.  I felt as though I was in a remake of "Target Earth."

In my CD player waiting for its first spin my NEW Guy Haines CD!  

Everything else is empty right now....

I am agog and breathless waiting for Mr Charles Pogue's recounting of the evening with Miss June (You, too can have a lovely bust) Wilkinson AND Mr William Wellman, Jr.

WWJr was in two fun,fun movies I saw as a TEA-NAJER - "A Swingin' Summer" and "Winter A GO GO."  The latter featured Julie Parish, Tom Nardini, girls in red bikinis with white fur trim doin' 'The Ski' AND The Nooney Rickett Four!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 06:39:45 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »

Welcome back JRand53. I see you made it through security without incident!

DVD player: Started to watch Bend it Like Beckham, but didn't make it all the way through.

VCR: Started to watch FOOTLIGHT FEVER starring Elyse Knox, but sadly it was quite bad (even for me!) and I gave up on it about half way through.

CD player: Tom Wopat; Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty; the last of the 30 Bollywood CDs (now I need more).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 07:33:14 AM »

Media Report:

CD - AMERICAN IDOL - Season 2: Sings the World's Greatest Love Songs

I'm waiting for SHERRY! and WONDERFUL TOWN to arrive

laserdisc - BYE BYE BIRDIE (Ann-Margret version)

VDR - THE GUNFIGHTER (I've never seen this Gregory Peck classic, so I'm really looking forward to it.)

DVD - ANGEL Season 1 - disc 5 to be followed by MYRA BRECKINRIDGE

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2004, 07:37:00 AM »

Well, my friends, I am here, yes I am.

CD Payer:  Elton John's Caribou album, the one where he is dressed as Peter Alan on the cover.  I have developed an affection for the lead track "The Bitch Is Back", and enjoy playing it two or twenty times with the windows open before I leave the house for the day.  

VCR:  Nothing.  I found last evening, after a long day of yelling at lawyers, bishops, wardens, and other nice people, that I could not get into a movie.  But Carol Channing and Pearl Bailey on Broadway was on the Island of Long PBS station--I've grown to like pledge weeks, because that's when they play the shows I want to see.  It is a TV special they did in 1969 and was pure delight.  Especially Carol's impression of Marlene Dietrich.  Carol was at the station answering phones, and she told the delightful story of Dietrich telling the press that she hated Carol's act.  Carol credits the attendant publicity and Dietrich's "Teutonic lack of a sense of humor" for helping to launch her own career.

And the rest of the evening I spent catching up on posts--until after midnight, doncha know!  Didn't want to stop to post myself, so I made a file of notes and will post at length later, replying to all the topics several days late.  I loved the discussions of high-school otherness and will add my own perspective.

But for now I will be leaving soon to spend the afternoon and evening at my mother-in-law's wake and at the funeral tomorrow morning.  I am being included with the immediate family, which is really gratifying to me, although President Bouche would probably have to consult his polls to determine whether a majority in swing states would approve or not before offering his condolences.

Those on this site are not so venal.  I can't list you all by name, but thanks, one and all and all and sun-dried.

btb I am glad I didn't go into work today, as Baby Bush was a few blocks away seeking photo-ops at the expense of 9/11 victims, and the traffic must have been horrendous.  My, that poor old lady whose son's fireman badge he carries around was interviewed and said how much she loved the Prez.  They did not ask her, of course, to opine on his slashing of the fire department's federal support.

And the rabbi giving the eulogy managed to find a passage in the Bible that said, basically, "Kill all the damn bastards for the Lord!"  Most heart-warming.

I will be back--with my strong, masculine nose.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2004, 07:54:35 AM »

Thank you DRMBARNUM - well I did set off the alarm and was asked to step aside, etc etc etc.  But that's okay....better that they are keeping me safe.

oh DRMATTH - 'The Gunfighter' is one of my favorite western movies...  And the ending is a hair-stands-up kind that is fitting, ironic, sad, happy, and brutal...gee I guess it's kind of like Life!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2004, 07:58:58 AM »

Did anyone else watch last night's Without A Trace? What a well-acted and well-written series it is. But yesterday's story was so very sad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2004, 08:18:50 AM »

Re Pinkens: Bernadette doesn't get 50K, Carol Channing didn't get 50K during the last tour of Dolly, nor did Ann-Margret during Whorehouse.  Since Miss Pinkens (who was very nice when I worked with her) isn't a patch on the butt-cheeks of any of those people, name-wise, this story is either exaggerated or she's lost her mind.  The show is doomed to fail anyway - everyone in a show like this, an obvious labor of love on the part of some producer who will lose their investment, should be working for double scale and that's it.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2004, 08:20:22 AM »

I like that phrase "strong, manly noses".  It sounds like it belongs in a song:

I always send roses
To strong, manly noses
But get barely a sniff in return.
Can't help going bonkers
For macho butch honkers
Yada yadada yada yada...

Can't finish--I gotta run...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2004, 08:23:14 AM »

Jack, I will NOT ask what set offf the alarm at the airport!

Jenny, I finaly read all the posts from the other day. I fit in as much as you do.  High school DOES end-- you just never completely receover.  Sometime, I'll give you some tips on HOW to work the system.  Remind me.

You guys are all terrrific.

AND WFO, try repeated playings of "I Will Always Love You" or ANYTHING by Michael Bolton.  We're not talking lyrics here-- we're talking shear annoyance value!

I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2004, 08:29:48 AM »

DRKerry - I will tell you, for $50,000 a week!  :o

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 08:30:40 AM »

"It's so hard to believe that what the world wants is us. It's hard to believe, whatever you're doing, that you're enough. We are ALL, always, enough."--- Barbara Cook

REMEMBER THAT!!!!   I need to remember it too--  or try to anyway------- Fifty million times a day!
I like boat races.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2004, 08:32:04 AM »

BK - The Pinkens story was not only in the Times, but in Variety as well, so there must be some truth that she is asking for this money, even though we all know she won't get it.  There was not even an ABC ad for the show in today's Times.  Of course, some enemy might have spread the story or it could have been exagerated, but there must be some truth to it.  If it were in Michael Reidel's column I would have laughed it off, but these are two fairly reliable sources.  Even if she does accept a reasonable salary, this will certainly help Donna, Kristen and Idina at Tony® time.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2004, 08:32:33 AM »

Did anyone else watch last night's Without A Trace? What a well-acted and well-written series it is. But yesterday's story was so very sad.

I am a fan of the show, but last night's episode, apart from Danny's storyline which gave one a LITTLE hope, was relentlessly depressing and left me in a sour mood. Bad news, bad luck, bad choices, and bad results dogged this family from the get-go, and at some point, I just felt like a truck had run over me and left me for dead. SOme dramas do that, and certainly life is sometimes like that, but I can't say I want to watch much of that as entertainment. Thankfully for the show, many of the episodes are not so grim.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up