Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGRY JEW  (Read 24492 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE HUNGRY JEW
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2004, 08:36:21 AM »

I, too, read the story about Tonya Penkins. Who else is out there who could take over this part? I was expecting to see the show this July in NYC.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2004, 08:37:17 AM »

Tomovoz I’m happy Magnus is happy again.  And yes, some dogs do smile.  Our last dog tended to have that sad dog look so I made sure to get a dog that smiles when we choose Echo.

Happy Birthday Dennis!

Ann is Portland too far for a Northwest Kimlet meeting?

Which reminds me, Keith and I should be in L.A around Mother’s Day.    

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2004, 08:48:32 AM »

My only point is we don't know exactly what's going on.  For example, here is a scenario that happens quite often:  The producer offers Miss Pinkins a low salary.  Miss Pinkins, via her agent, gets miffed, and her agent says something like, "You're kidding?  We want 50K a week."  Now, he is not expecting to get 50K a week or anywhere near 50K a week.  But, it gives them a place to meet somewhere.  I don't really see how they could pay anyone in a high-risk show like this, over 7500 a week, but that's just my opinion.  Let me put it this way - without giving away contractual secrets, you would be very surprised what people make in a Broadway show, and I'm talking about some names you're all pretty familiar with.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2004, 08:51:20 AM »

MBARNUM wants to know what Cal Bolder was paid when he was doing his show on Broadway.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2004, 08:56:11 AM »

Good morning. What a lot of interesting posts for so early in the day (in this part of the world, anyway).
I want $50,000. a week! Cash. "For what?" you ask. For being charming me - and it's worth every penny.

Anyone catch Larry King Live last night? Best exercise in denial I've ever witnessed. Guest was Phyllis Gates, Rock Hudson's wife of three years. No, she never suspected. Never had an inkling - even though lots and lots of men called the house and often he'd start a fight for no reason and storm out of the house and not come home all night - she never ever thought...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2004, 08:56:37 AM »

I'm a man no man gives a glance to
They ignore my shirt and my pants, too
And it's all because I don't chance to
Have a strong masculine nose.

I have taken cultural classes
But I'm still not getting no passes
For the thing that holds up my glasses
Is a weak, feminine nose

Sure, hooking up is a process
And, to find a Valentine
If you focus on a fellow's proboscis
Nobody's going to pick mine

Heaven knows, nose prejudice shatters
How I'd love a pecker that flatters
Yes, they say it's not size that matters
But I envy Pinnochio's
Strong
Masculine
Nose
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2004, 08:58:04 AM »

DR NOEL you are too twisted for color TV!

Panni

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2004, 09:01:04 AM »

Tomovoz I’m happy Magnus is happy again.  And yes, some dogs do smile.  Our last dog tended to have that sad dog look so I made sure to get a dog that smiles when we choose Echo.

Abie the wonderdog lies on his back on the bed, puts one paw in his mouth a la Austin Powers... and grins at me as I pass by.
It is extremely weird and makes me laugh no matter how often I see it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2004, 09:04:58 AM »

I was at my sister's house taking a tour of her newly built house!  A couple of days ago, my sister got notice that she can start moving in!!  As soon as she's done the bulk of her moving, I can start moving into her old house (I'm going to rent it from her).  That will be a major chore...actually the cleaning of my apartment will be the major chore.  I'm not very neat at all.  It's a curse.

(I'm responding to this right after reading it, so if any of my suggestions have already been suggested, I apologize in advance).

I think you should consider a couple of things:  If it's worth a couple of hundred dollars to you NOT to clean your apartment, there are services "out there" that will come in and do it for you.  My last move was 9 years ago, and I still remember trying to set up the new apartment and having to clean the old.  With Bay Area security deposits and first/last month rent deposits and having to buy boxes to pack, and having to pay a man and two helpers to move me to my new place, plus put excess stuff into storage, I wasn't about to pay anyone to clean the old place for me.  And I STILL regret it.

Also, there is such a thing as "normal wear and tear" -- this means that it is not necessary for you to repaint, clean the carpet, fill-in nail holes where pictures were hanging.

Conversely, I feel it's a tenant responsibility to clean the refrigerator and oven, but not the cabinets, which the landlord might have repainted.

My mom ALWAYS cleaned a house so that it was in a condition she would accept were she moving into it....but then, she was the landlord turning over the house.

You should be able to get your security deposit without having to restore the apartment to its original condition.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 09:09:10 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2004, 09:05:34 AM »

WFO - Sending tons of good vibes in these difficult days.

Your deliciously wicked sense of humor must be helping you tremendously.
For me, reading your posts is this strange mixture of pleasure at seeing your unique and often hilarious view of the idiocy of the world, mixed with utter disgust at same (the idiocy, that is).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2004, 09:12:39 AM »

If BK is The Hungry Jew, does that make Panni The Hungary Jew?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2004, 09:15:51 AM »

DR TCB please read my above post to DR NOEL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2004, 09:16:51 AM »

Panni is The Hungarian Goulash, or should that be The Hungarian Ghoulash?  She's an olio of cultures and languages.

An olio?  I used a fun word.

Our new Unseemly Interview with Mr. Larry Blank, music director, arranger, orchestrator, will be up this very evening, so be sure to check it out.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2004, 09:23:14 AM »

DR TCB please read my above post to DR NOEL.

That reminds me, the first time I stumbled on this site, I almost didn't read many of the posts, because I thought everyone here was a doctor!

“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2004, 09:25:08 AM »

Anyone catch Larry King Live last night? Best exercise in denial I've ever witnessed. Guest was Phyllis Gates, Rock Hudson's wife of three years. No, she never suspected. Never had an inkling - even though lots and lots of men called the house and often he'd start a fight for no reason and storm out of the house and not come home all night - she never ever thought...

LOL-I grew up in L.A. and  thought everyone knew.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2004, 09:29:58 AM »

LOL-I grew up in L.A. and  thought everyone knew.

Knew?  Knew what?  You mean Rock and Phyllis had problems during their marriage?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2004, 09:31:48 AM »

Panni is The Hungarian Goulash, or should that be The Hungarian Ghoulash?  She's an olio of cultures and languages.

Either spelling is preferable, one supposes, to "g-a-l-o-s-h-a"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2004, 09:36:23 AM »

Panni-wish you could post a picture of Abbie.  She sounds so cute.  

After re-reading my post you quoted, I’m wondering why “word” didn’t tell me to change choose to chose.  Now it’s telling me to change chose to choose.  Now I’m completely confused.  ;D

Echo awaits her walk.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2004, 09:37:32 AM »

TCB  ;D.   I will now walk with a smile on my face.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2004, 09:38:58 AM »

DRJane - LOL...Phyllis must have hung with a different crowd than you did!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2004, 09:39:19 AM »

DR Panni,

I think Abie's simply trying to say that you're smashing, baby! Oh, behave!

Jane

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2004, 09:41:04 AM »

JRand53, I guess so.  ;D

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2004, 09:42:18 AM »

DR Noel,

Excellent and funny lyrics. Are they from your latest, "My Nose, The Musical"?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2004, 09:49:48 AM »

DR Noel,

Excellent and funny lyrics. Are they from your latest, "My Nose, The Musical"?

Now, wait just a darn minute!  I have yet to see a posting for the wesbite that is selling the CD of Noel's "The Honeymoon -- The Second Nudie Musical."
“One thing’s universal,

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2004, 09:56:54 AM »

Reidel has chimed in on the Pinkens situation.  He said she was making $1,000 at the Public and was offered $2,000 on Broadway.  He claims she asked for $25,000, not the $50,000 that was reported elsewhere.  He feels she will end up with about $7,500 which would go to $10,000 if she wins the Tony®.  And he presented the following figures which may or may not be accurate:
   Donna Murphy - $15,000
   Kristen Chenowith - $20,000
   Idina Menzel - $20,000
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2004, 10:03:33 AM »

(I'm responding to this right after reading it, so if any of my suggestions have already been suggested, I apologize in advance).

I think you should consider a couple of things:  If it's worth a couple of hundred dollars to you NOT to clean your apartment, there are services "out there" that will come in and do it for you.  My last move was 9 years ago, and I still remember trying to set up the new apartment and having to clean the old.  With Bay Area security deposits and first/last month rent deposits and having to buy boxes to pack, and having to pay a man and two helpers to move me to my new place, plus put excess stuff into storage, I wasn't about to pay anyone to clean the old place for me.  And I STILL regret it.

Also, there is such a thing as "normal wear and tear" -- this means that it is not necessary for you to repaint, clean the carpet, fill-in nail holes where pictures were hanging.

Conversely, I feel it's a tenant responsibility to clean the refrigerator and oven, but not the cabinets, which the landlord might have repainted.

My mom ALWAYS cleaned a house so that it was in a condition she would accept were she moving into it....but then, she was the landlord turning over the house.

You should be able to get your security deposit without having to restore the apartment to its original condition.

Actually, I haven't even lived in this apartment a year and a half so it's just messy...I'd set down some papers and leave them there.  I open mail and have a pile of recyclable junk mail next to my computer.  I just really have a bunch of piles that I need to sort through and things like that.  It's very dusty, but otherwise not too bad.  I've never spilled any food or liquids in the place (thankfully!) but it's been a while since I've vacuumed.  That's pretty much what needs to be done.  And my mother will help me clean the place after everything is out.  She used to clean apartments and is VERY anal about cleaning up.  That's one gene that I didn't get from her.  Otherwise, I have quite a few boxes of stuff from when I moved in so a lot is already taken care of.  I actually don't anticipate any problems at all.  I'm just a procrastinator...the KING OF PROCRASTINATORS, actually.  I claim that title justly.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2004, 10:05:28 AM »

Well, then I was correct in my assessment, basically, which means I know what I'm talkin' about.  Donna's salary sounds right based on what she made doing King and I.  Kristin and Idina I have no idea about.  Whether Pinkins' agent asked for 50 or 25, the scenario I presented earlier seems to be exactly what happened.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2004, 10:10:35 AM »

BK - Reidel keeps talking about the 20 rich producers of CAROLINE and how they are going to lose so much money anyway that they should give more of it to Tonya.  Do you know who they are and why anyone would back a show knowing they will lose a bundle (other than Max Bialystock).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2004, 10:20:44 AM »

Broadway angels - God love 'em - often live in a world of dreams, rather than reality.

I don't have any insider information, but I seem to recall that when Caroline Or Change premiered, the rave reviews were for Tonya Pinkens, rather than the writing of the show itself.  (Similarly, Menzel and Chenoweth got the raves in San Francisco, not the Wicked writing.)  Now, I'm not saying this if "fair" or "real" but I understand the thinking here: If Pinkins, as the reviews would have you believe, is essential to the show's success, her agent can demand more than Idina or Kristin, if only as a negotiating ploy.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2004, 10:40:08 AM »

Now, wait just a darn minute!  I have yet to see a posting for the wesbite that is selling the CD of Noel's "The Honeymoon -- The Second Nudie Musical."

As Ben Bagley used to say, there is more to a wedding than the swelling of the organ and the coming of the bride.  He claimed this was from Elizabeth Barrett Browning, but I really doubt it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up