Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGRY JEW  (Read 24464 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE HUNGRY JEW
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2004, 10:43:41 AM »

In the CD: Rosemary Clooney, Best of the Concorde Sessions.

In the DVD:  In Celebration with Alan Bates

On the nightstand (book): Venus In Copper by Lindsey Davis, a Marcus Didius Falco mystery set in ancient Rome.

Last night at the Divoon Ms. June Wilkinson's.  Guests:  the lovely wife, Julieanne and myself; actor par excellance, Mr. Larry Drake; son of legendary director and an actor in his own right, Mr. William Wellman, Jr. and his lovely wife, Flossie; and a gentleman by the name of Mr. Bruce Hawkins, who is apparently writing a book on Ms. June Wilkinson.  Dinner: a delicious salad and equally delicious main course of Ravioli prepared by the divoon Ms. June, followed by a tasty dessert concoction of whipped cream, some sort of fruit and vanilla (yummy) wafers.
Conversation:  There was a discussion (surprisingly intellectual) about the phenomenon of the bosom in the American male mindset.  Mr. Drake and Mr. Wellman and I had a long conversation about Mr. Wellman's father and many of the movies he made.  Mr. Wellman regaled us with tales as a young actor of working with the great director John Ford on the Horse Soldiers and Sergeant Rutledge where "Pappy" always referred to him as "Young Young"and Mr. Wellman could never understand Mr. Ford's direction because he was always gnawing on his ever-present handkerchief.  The divoon Ms. June and Mr. Wellman told some stories about working on that immortal classic, MACUMBA LOVE.  Probably the funniest stories were the divoon Ms. June's about touring in ANY WEDNESDAY with Tom Poston and Elaine Stritch, who was a great pal...who'd have thunk it.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2004, 10:46:00 AM »

Hey all!

American Idol question.  Many people seem to think that this could be a race between LaToya and Fantasia.  Fantasia is 19 and has a 2 year old child.  Do you think that this will hurt her chances of going to the end?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2004, 10:53:44 AM »

Ah.....well...since I couldn't have been there - or invited - it was wonderful to read about the evening.  Thank you, DRCHARLES POGUE.   Oh, and put me down for a copy of that book!

DR TCB:  Que es un Wesbite?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2004, 11:07:41 AM »

Excellent and funny lyrics. Are they from your latest, "My Nose, The Musical"?

I can already imagine the critics' quotes in the Times ad:  "My Nose will run for years!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2004, 11:27:29 AM »

elmoore3003 and Dan the Man:

LOL!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2004, 11:31:19 AM »

I can already imagine the critics' quotes in the Times ad:  "My Nose will run for years!"

There will be at least one critic who rants:

My Nose BLOWS!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2004, 11:31:29 AM »

Quips to cheer a Hungry Jew

"Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."  
                                  ~ Woody Allen

"Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a
date on Saturday night."
                                      ~ Rodney Dangerfield

"There are a number of mechanical devices which
increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief
among these is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL."
                                       ~ Lynn Lavner

"Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope."
                                      ~ Camille Paglia

"Sex is one of the nine reasons for reincarnation.    
The other eight are unimportant."
                                      ~ George Burns

"Women might be able to fake orgasms.
But men can fake a whole relationship."
                                             ~ Sharon Stone

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
                                      ~ Jack Nicholson

"Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is."
                           ~ Barbara Bush
(Former US First Lady, and you didn't think Barbara had a sense of humor)

"Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to
rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."
                                      ~ Robin Williams

"Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place."
                           ~ Billy Crystal

"According to a new survey, women say they feel more comfortable undressing in front of men than they do undressing in front of other women.
They say that women are too judgmental, where,  
of course, men are just grateful."
                                      ~ Robert De Niro

"There's a new medical crisis. Doctors are reporting that many men are having allergic reactions to latex condoms.    They say they cause severe swelling.    
So what's the problem?"
                                      ~ Dustin Hoffman

"There's very little advice in men's magazines,
because men think, 'I know what I'm doing. Just show me somebody naked'."
                                      ~ Jerry Seinfeld

"instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."
                                      ~ Rod Stewart

der usually-hungry goy Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2004, 11:33:05 AM »

There will be at least one critic who rants:

My Nose BLOWS!

And another will claim:

'SNOT FUNNY!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2004, 11:37:16 AM »

DVD:  last night, PIECES OF APRIL, a poignant look at a day in the life of a family striving to create new memories while making peace with the old.

TIVO: 2 Hopalong Cassidy movies

CD: I wanted to listen to Louis Prima but the player is being temperamental again today.  We really need to get a new one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2004, 11:42:16 AM »

I've said many times, I don't profess to understand theatrical producers today.  That most of them lose money on the majority of shows produced (even ones that may run a year or two) is known - what isn't known is why they keep producing shows they know have no chance of survival, instead of nourishing and encouraging the return of the REAL book musical - entertaining good shows with good scored that audiences like.  Hairspray delivers in that regard - it's not perfect, but it does the trick.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2004, 11:44:34 AM »

BK - Reidel keeps talking about the 20 rich producers of CAROLINE and how they are going to lose so much money anyway that they should give more of it to Tonya.  Do you know who they are and why anyone would back a show knowing they will lose a bundle (other than Max Bialystock).

I would imagine that Caroline has a certain liberal cache attached to it that many wealthy movers-and-shakers would find advantageous to be associated with, particularly in this current political climate.  The show should run long enough to play to some Democratic fund raising events, which could  give these producers opportunities to wine, dine, schmooze and impress the politicians and power brokers who will be involved with the coming Democratic Administration.  Whether the show runs or closes, they probably consider it money well-spent.  (I'm opining this from a very cynical state of mind.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2004, 11:56:32 AM »

Ooooh, lovely posts. But I have to get ready for a lunch meeting so I can only respond to the most importantant issues.
#1 - Jane - "Abie" is short for Abel or Abraham (a Jewish dog) making Abie a HE not a she.

#2 - I'm an olio? Not an Orio? Or an oleo?  Okay-o.

#3 - Dan-in-TO - That's exactly what Abie is saying. You win the door prize.

#4 - I don't care if the correct sum is $25,000. Now that $50,000. has been put on the table, that's what I want.

More later. I love to come home and look at this site. Makes me smile.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2004, 12:15:07 PM »

Dans mon joueur de DVDs:  I think I still have To Kill A Mockingbird in there.

VCR:  I recorded either Gary Null or Wayne Dwyer on PBS for my mom the other night.   I'm hoping I taped the right guy.

CD Player (at home):  So Long, 174th Street in which I heard for the first time the hilarious "You".

CD Player (at work):  Norah Jones new CD.  Very pretty music but waaaay too low-key to listen to at my desk while I'm supposed to be writing status reports.  I'll take this home to play while I'm sorting out my sock drawer this weekend.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2004, 12:16:29 PM »

On my way to rehearsal!  Pray for Raspberry's baby.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2004, 12:18:05 PM »

NOSE CHOREOGRAPHY SHINES!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2004, 12:20:34 PM »

And of course, come June:

TONY VOTERS PICK NOSE!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2004, 12:21:36 PM »

CD Player (at work):  Norah Jones new CD.  Very pretty music but waaaay too low-key to listen to at my desk while I'm supposed to be writing status reports.  I'll take this home to play while I'm sorting out my sock drawer this weekend.

Dan (the Man) -- Aren't you a little old to still be having such wild weekends???
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2004, 12:21:36 PM »

I would imagine that Caroline has a certain liberal cache attached to it that many wealthy movers-and-shakers would find advantageous to be associated with, particularly in this current political climate.  The show should run long enough to play to some Democratic fund raising events, which could  give these producers opportunities to wine, dine, schmooze and impress the politicians and power brokers who will be involved with the coming Democratic Administration.  Whether the show runs or closes, they probably consider it money well-spent.  (I'm opining this from a very cynical state of mind.)
But it's the REPUBLICAN convention that's being held in NYC!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2004, 12:21:46 PM »

My apologies to Abie.  However, if I hadn’t insulted him I wouldn’t know the interesting origins of his name.  

This hungry Jew just had to have a piece of toasted corn rye bread.  Since we have to have it shipped to us it’s a real treat.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2004, 12:23:58 PM »

It's too bad the Tonys don't have a "Best Song" catagory.  It would obviously go to the Tony Newley homage, "What Kind of Schnozz Am I?"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2004, 12:45:47 PM »

Dan (the Man) -- Aren't you a little old to still be having such wild weekends???

Ha!  That's nothing!  I'm still recovering from last weekend when I straightened out my underwear drawer.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2004, 12:49:37 PM »

It's too bad the Tonys don't have a "Best Song" catagory.  It would obviously go to the Tony Newley homage, "What Kind of Schnozz Am I?"

I'm suddenly reminded of that moment during the final scene of The Miracle Worker when Anne Sullivan triumphantly announces, "She nose!  She nose!"
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2004, 12:53:20 PM »

Phyllis Gates was the secretary for Rock Hudson's agent Henry Wilson, one of the most notorious homosexual agents in the business. I guess she had her head buried in the sand around him, too.

In short, no one is that stupid.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2004, 12:59:29 PM »

Well, I did enjoy THE GUNFIGHTER which I watched this afternoon. Like HIGH NOON, there's a ticking clock aspect toward knowing this man may not have much longer to live and wanting him to make his peace with the world.

Zanuck later said the movie wasn't successful because of the mustache Peck grew for the part, that all the man's fans wouldn't support him in a movie where he sported facial hair, but I think it was just a matter of the writer going for the best, most logicial end to the story rather than for a tacked-on, unbelievable happy ending.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »

Phyllis Gates was the secretary for Rock Hudson's agent Henry Wilson, one of the most notorious homosexual agents in the business. I guess she had her head buried in the sand around him, too.

Well, she didn't have her head buried anywhere else!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2004, 01:22:58 PM »

Well, she didn't have her head buried anywhere else!

And you know this because . . . .

I don't know really what's going on with Larry King and his fascination with the late Rock Hudson because a few months ago, he had several other people on the show in a panel (Tony Randall was one of them) who swore up and down that Rock Hudson really liked the ladies and that men were not his primary sexual interest.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 01:25:12 PM by Matt H. »

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2004, 01:32:04 PM »

DR Jane. Magnus says hello and has asked me to post his photo which I shall do later today. Despite this not being a digital camera household - the photo was taken yesterday!
Hope to check out the physical types profile thing later - I didn't realise it would take so long. Why didn't they just have one photo of Kevin Spacey.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2004, 01:38:12 PM »

Well, you won't believe it - I can barely believe it myself and yet I must for it is true.  I took the Kritzer Time CD to be replicated this morning and the nice man managed to have them ready by 12:30.  I picked them up, then went to my mail place to see if I had mail and what do you know - the books had arrived, over a week early (which is two weeks earlier than I thought I'd have them.  Wowser.  Hoo and ray.  So, I went and got shipping envelopes and my plan is to get all books out by Monday, although conceivably they could all go out by tomorrow.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2004, 01:43:50 PM »

Good afternoon all
I have discovered one of the down sides to no longer being a student...while my friends are all celebrating the fact that next week is spring break and therefore a time of relaxation...I am merely looking forward to another week of work.  Ah well, at least it's not bad work.

Media check - Car CD still has Wicked (the live version)  I just love that CD
Video - Eddie Izzard - Glorious.  Fabulous stand up comedy, if you're into british humor
Nothing in DVD, as usual

By the way, you all crack me up! I've been laughing as I caught up on the notes for today.  I love you all :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2004, 01:44:22 PM »

Brillliant. I love it when I get a free book when I order a Guy Haines CD.

I am looking forward to BOTH BK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up