Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS NECK OF THE WOODS  (Read 50650 times)

Michael

Re:THIS NECK OF THE WOODS
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2004, 03:06:17 PM »

I have a question for those in the know about the latest production lingo....  Just finished reading a book review written by Richard Schickel in the LA Times. In his little bio it states that Schickel is at the moment producing a "reconstruction" of Sam Fuller's THE BIG RED ONE for Warner Bros.

So - I'm not sure what is meant by "reconstruction"... Is the movie being re-edited to include lost footage? Is it being remade shot by shot like the misguided remake of PSYCHO? Or have they just found another word for "remake"...?

Ah The Big Red One! Never saw it. But wasn't one of Lee Marvin's last films? Maybe he didn't have the final edit and he wanted it cut a certain way.

But my guess that the "reconstruction" could be something in way that TOUCH OF EVIL was re-edited to the specifications that Orson Welles wrote down, but were not followed by the studio.

OR

Something like Lost Horizon or Garland's verison of A Star is Born where they had to use still photos, alternate takes and less the optimal quality to restore the film as it was originally edited and released to the theaters
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 03:21:54 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2004, 03:07:37 PM »

It's also worth noting than none of the vicious homophobia in The Passion of the Christ is in the Scriptures.  That's purely the responsibility of Mr. Mel Gibson.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

It will be interesting to see what happens to The Passion at Oscar time. I saw Mel being interviewed somewhere (Diane Sawyer, perhaps) and when the interviewer suggested upcoming Oscar noms, Mel positively smirked and said something like, "Don't bet on it."
In other words it's a no-lose situation for him. If he gets nominated he is vindicated, if not (or if he loses) it's because everyone in Hollywood (which we all know is run by the Jews) is out to get him.

Panni

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2004, 03:17:28 PM »

Thank you, DR Michael Shayne!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 03:48:32 PM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2004, 03:22:46 PM »

I modified my original post so now you can modify your last one.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2004, 03:23:05 PM »

I know this movie is getting rave reviews all over the place,

Actually, I didn't know this.  What rave reviews has The Passion of Christ received?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2004, 03:34:59 PM »

Whew!  Thanks for the good wishes from MBARNUM & PANNI.  I am feeling better, but it's hard to get rest during TECH HELL!  But we open on Thursday, and then it belongs to the ages!  :P

DRSWW....que esta But Cassidy?

Yes, DRRobin The Unearthly is correct.  Allison, John Carradine, Tor, AND Sally Todd - whew did we even need Myron Healey?  ;)  Of course DR Robin AND DRTD and Mr BK and I think DR CHARLES POGUE are all featured or quoted or written about in issue number 50 of Scarlet Street.  I was left on the cutting room floor...AGAIN.  You know, even the most tenacious of us gets discouraged now and then.  :'(

Mr Bruce Kimmel is an evil person, yes he is....he is diabolical!  He is Damian...he is Beelzebub!!  Why do I say this, you may ask?  Why do I write this here at Mr BK's OWN site?

Because he produced and sang on what must be the most damn near perfect CD I have ever heard.....and I want all my friends to have it....and it's no longer in print!  Not a slag song on the disk...new favorites old favorites and favorites I thought were forever MIA.  

I know it is a long time coming, and I know it is coming late, and I am late coming to it.  But MR BK - the Guy Haines CD will NOT leave my player for a LONG time!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OH Dr EVIL KURT opens in The King and I this week, if anyone would like to see the picture from the newspaper, I will post it!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2004, 03:37:01 PM »

Actually, I didn't know this.  What rave reviews has The Passion of Christ received?

Well, the Pope, for one!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2004, 03:39:21 PM »

Well, the Pope, for one!

Joel Seigal on Good Morning America praised it. Not sure if it can be considered a rave. On the flip side a reviewer on NPR slammed it. Two polar opposite reviews.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »

[quote author=JRand53

Mr Bruce Kimmel is an evil person, yes he is....he is diabolical!  He is Damian...he is Beelzebub!!  Why do I say this, you may ask?  Why do I write this here at Mr BK's OWN site?

Because he produced and sang on what must be the most damn near perfect CD I have ever heard.....and I want all my friends to have it....and it's no longer in print!  Not a slag song on the disk...new favorites old favorites and favorites I thought were forever MIA.  

BK sings! I am astonished, shocked and amazed. Has he been taking lessons from his friend Guy? Next thing you know BK will be playing tennis.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2004, 03:55:09 PM »

I know we rarely discuss politics here, but I thought these letters from the Washington Post were interesting and, in my mind, on the money.
The first letter, especially, comes from an interesting source:

The Bush Ads: Exploitative or Traditional?
Monday, March 8, 2004; Page A18
Though I wasn't surprised, it was nevertheless with profound sadness that I read that President Bush's reelection TV ads feature images of the destruction and devastation of the World Trade Center ["Bush Ads Using 9/11 Images Stir Anger," front page, March 5].
For months, I was a volunteer at Ground Zero, where I bore witness to the selflessness of the firefighters, uniformed officers and recovery and construction workers who labored tirelessly around the clock. Their steadfastness and resolve reassured New Yorkers and indeed the nation during a time of national crisis.
What happened in the aftermath of Sept. 11 was an extraordinary labor of love. Mr. Bush's exploitation of our pain and sense of community to try to gain political advantage should outrage all Americans.

FAYE M. ANDERSON
New York
The writer is a former vice chairman of the Republican National Committee's minority outreach advisory committee.

----                         ----

[Excerpt]
Without question, Sept. 11 was a seminal event in recent history, and it occurred on President Bush's watch, so I don't fault him for invoking the tragedy. It would be foolhardy for Americans -- including presidential candidates and advertising gurus -- to ignore the event and what it means for the future. Yet Mr. Bush's team easily could have shown the president giving a speech addressing Sept. 11 and its aftermath in a way that would not have been so painful, exploitative and cheap.
Here's a thought for the president: In the next round of ads, to show concern for Americans in the wake of that tragedy, why not throw in a few images of you cooperating with the 9/11 commission?

KIM A. O'CONNELL
Arlington

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2004, 03:57:41 PM »

Of course I meant Mr Guy Haines.

What the hey!  Faye Emerson is a Republican?

Panni

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2004, 04:00:47 PM »

Ebert and Roeper loved it. Two thumbs up - nails in them, mind you.
(I apologize. Couldn't resist.)

But I wasn't making up the review. They do give it two thumbs up and love it to bits.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2004, 04:07:31 PM »

Jrand, I shall pass your lovely comments along to Mr. Haines, who I know will be appreciative.  Isn't it funny, a certain record label paid lots and lots of dough for that CD, you'd think they'd want to sell a few of them.  Oh, well.  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2004, 04:07:41 PM »

Now where, oh where is DR §wishy §arah with her review of the Gibson opus?  She was planning to see it, I know, but have we heard from her since?

Myself, I worry because of the whole resurgence of what seems to me the worst elements of the Christian faith.  That Other Cheek stuff and The Meek Shall Inherit are definitely secondary to what my philosophy professor called the "primitive totemism".  It was in "The Philosophy of Literature", and we had just read Calderón de la Barca's La Devoción de la Cruz, a play wherein a protagonist with no redeeming qualities whatsoever betrays all around him and commits every sin in the book, but is, I believe, assumed into heaven because at the last minute he prays to a magical cross.  As I recall, he doesn't even repent.

One of the other letters in the Times actually stated that Christ's teachings themselves are rather incidental, in the letter-writer's personal faith, to the important fact of suffering and torture.  He, of course, heartily enjoyed the film.

Now, if someone would only make a similarly graphic movie of the torture-murder of thousands of non-believers and heretics by the Church, I am sure neither Mel nor anyone else would accuse them of being "anti-Catholic".
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2004, 04:38:10 PM »

Mr. BK, if a certain label's title that you produced goes out of print, do the rights revered back to either you or the artist? Are the conditions under which the rights revert back to you?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2004, 04:39:14 PM »

MR BK thanks for passing along the comments to the elusive Mr Haines!

I have to say also that even though I imagine the show is dated....I enjoyed Lucie Arnaz in THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG...and fell in love with the song "Fallin'" way back when.  I of course have the cast LP, but didn't know anyone else had recorded it.

And "Pitiful Penniless Bums" has one of the best arrangements, instrumental AND vocal I have ever heard.  That song and "The Beauty That Drives Men Mad" are why I go see SUGAR!

I have rehearsal...deadly cue to cue rehearsal tomorrow evening.  But I will be thinking about the lively chat that will be taking place.

And even though it wasn't requested....here is DR Evil Kurt as the King as in .....and I!  8)

Favorite shot in a movie....many, many of course....but Madeline Kahn being dragged out of the reception screaming for Howard and her shoes making little marks on the floor always makes me laugh!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 04:43:43 PM by JRand53 »

Michael

« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2004, 04:44:31 PM »

Mr. BK, if a certain label's title that you produced goes out of print, do the rights revered back to either you or the artist? Are the conditions under which the rights revert back to you?

Shame on you Mr. Charles Pogue!!

A talented writer as you saying revert back!!  (Sorry but it is a pet peeve of my ever since a English teacher drilled it into my head you can not say that!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2004, 04:45:40 PM »

WONDERFUL TOWN – REVIVAL

When a musical show has not been translated to film, and its original production was over 50 years ago, it rarely has to withstand comparisons; however, the original “Wonderful Town” was my introduction to Broadway – my local Philly church group did an outing to NYC to see the show with Rosalind Russell

When on Saturday last we ventured into what was once the Martin Beck theatre, I was wondering if my delightful memories of 50+ years would be recreated. (So, see, I now have an “I dare-you” bias before I even sit down!)

When the curtain goes up, we are treated to vast array of musicians assembled on a raised platform across the entire rear 5/8s of the stage Alarms go off! Am I going to be treated to a “minimalist” staging on the apron and end up with Mini-WT? ) Or are they going to relocate the Orchestra for the balance of the show.

Orchestra stays put, “Christoper Street” begins. “Ohio” is delightful, but by the time we end the fourth number, “One Hundred Easy Ways, one thing is clear – Donna Murphy is no Roz Russell!  She’s good, very, good, excellent – but Roz was genius. Clearly Donna out-sings Roz, but can not reach the zany physical comedy that Russell put into the original performance.

I suspect some of the problem was directorial discretion – Roz definitely chewed up some lines that Donna is left to simply deliver believably: a motley crew  has aggregated in the girls’ apartment where Eileen is preparing pasta; Ruth looks at all the newcomers and expounds: “You know for a bad location, and no neon signs, we’re doing a hell of a business!” Back in the Eisenhower days Roz delivered this line with a gusto that presaged Momma Rose. Murphy gives us Patricia Heaton.

Oh, well, one line does not a show make.

As Act I progressed I started to become aware of a considerable amount of underscoring I didn’t recall from days of yore. Somehow the musical numbers seemed to flow together better than before.

Suddenly it dawned on me! The star of this production is Leonard Bernstein! The score is in deed, front and center. We have a complete wall of delightfully complex and varied orchestrations filling the theatre for most of the time. There were over 23 musicians on that stage, there was little or no physical barrier between them and the audience, and they rarely rested long enough for a reed to get dry. The sound design was perfection. In “A Quiet Girl”, Gregg Edelman starts the song softly downstage; he moves up onto the platform supporting the orchestra and we are treated to the song’s ending with Gregg, backed by the full orchestra in play, coming in clear as a bell. We were in the Mezzanine, yet the sound had an almost three-dimensional quality – you could pick Gregg out as the instrument in front.  In case there was any doubt, after intermission we were treated to an extended “Entr’acte introducing Act II. I stopped worrying about Roz and started getting engrossed with the music. (JoseS would be proud!)

Occasionally I grumble about color-blind casting in historical pieces – there were likely no black cops in the Irish Police Brigade in Greenwich Village 1935! Well the opening number of Act II is “My Darlin’ Eileen” – a full multipart harmony Irish Barbershop routine for the cops. Toward the end, one of the black cops steps forward and in a crystal clear tenor solos in a perfect Irish brogue – damn near brought down the house. The choreographer also had fun at the end of the number when the cops lined up across the stage and did a “Riverdance” Irish Line Dance jig.

Lesson Learned: Old Memories should be cherished, but must not be allowed to detract from current pleasures.

der "Glad-he saw-it" Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2004, 04:55:12 PM »

MR BK thanks for passing along the comments to the elusive Mr Haines!

I have to say also that even though I imagine the show is dated....I enjoyed Lucie Arnaz in THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG...and fell in love with the song "Fallin'" way back when.  I of course have the cast LP, but didn't know anyone else had recorded it.

Actually Tom Conti, Günter Pavel Fieber. Peter Fröhlich, Gianluca Guidi, Víctor Laplace, Mauricio Herrera, Fabrizia Magaglio also recorded the song. So Mr Guy haines is in good company.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 04:55:59 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2004, 05:00:19 PM »

Well DRMichaelShayne - I am from Indiana...and we don't get a LOT of music out hyere - but thanks for the heads up!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2004, 05:00:37 PM »

WONDERFUL TOWN – REVIVAL

Occasionally I grumble about color-blind casting in historical pieces –

You should see the interesting, integrated families in many of the plays in Ashland.  I believe it was in THREE SISTER’S, presented a couple of years ago, where each of the siblings was a different race. :D

Danise

« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »

Evening all!

I sitll didn't get my dirt.  Sigh.  Mom wanted to do a little shoping so that took so long it wasn't worth stoping to get the dirt until next weekend.  I didn't complain, if she feeling like going out, I'll take her.  The four o'clocks can wait.  :)

Jrand, I just finished reading yesterdays notes.  I'm sorry your not feeling well.  Please get well soon.  

I read where the bad guys name was Johnathan, duh!  So much for  my  memory!   :)  I was in a hurry and I'm lucky I remember MY name when that happens.  

Many, many thanks, DERBRUCER for the repost.  This time I bookmarked it like I should have done the first time.

As for The Passion of the Christ, I refuse to go see it.  Seeing someone in pain is not my idea of entertainment.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2004, 05:04:36 PM »

JRand53, thanks for the pic of DR Evil Kurt. I was gonna ask, but you posted before I. I don't think DR Evil Kurt has ever posted since I have been here....just who is he and why does he not come around any longer?

The above description of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST just cements my desire to pass it up. I will stick to religious movies that have a more positive and uplifting message...although it does seem that many viewers find this film positive and uplifting for some reason.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2004, 05:09:27 PM »

Sadly, said company owns all my recordings and none of them, no matter what, revert to me under any circumstances, unless they finally realize how unjust thing were and wanted to simply hand them back to me.  Can we say the 12th...of Never?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2004, 05:09:59 PM »

Michael Shayne, does PIN number bug you too?  My son got on me about that one.

JRand53, glad you are feeling better.  Try and get some rest so you stay that way.

Panni I’m sorry I didn’t remark on your cousin’s (cousin, yes?).  I did find them interesting and thank you for sharing.

Michael

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2004, 05:11:57 PM »

You should see the interesting, integrated families in many of the plays in Ashland.  I believe it was in THREE SISTER’S, presented a couple of years ago, where each of the siblings was a different race. :D

I directed a production of Tennesse Williams This Property is Condemed and I cast a black actress as in the lead. Not because she was black, but she was the best actress for the part. It was only afterwards that the play took on another dimension having a black actress for the role. I didn't change any dialogue.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2004, 05:15:24 PM »

Sadly, said company owns all my recordings and none of them, no matter what, revert to me under any circumstances, unless they finally realize how unjust thing were and wanted to simply hand them back to me.  Can we say the 12th...of Never?

Maybe you can find an "angel" who will buy them back for you. They don't seem to give  a damn about what they have as they are getting away from more of the Boradway related material.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2004, 05:32:29 PM »

Panni I’m sorry I didn’t remark on your cousin’s (cousin, yes?).  I did find them interesting and thank you for sharing.

No need to be sorry, Jane. I was joking about being peeved with no response. Sure, it's nice to see a response to some things, but it's not mandatory. But you're very sweet to feel "guilty" about it. Not my intention, though.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2004, 05:44:15 PM »

I agree with WFO above. And I hope, Jenny, that you got a chance to read director John Hirsch's remarks about feeling "the outsider" - posted by me yesterday evening. His remarks about theatre ain't too shabby either.
(Mind you, (that's a general "you") no one responded with comments . Sigh. And I didn't just paste the remarks from a website. No sir. I typed them out with my own little hands... over a hot computer... Not that anyone should feel pressured to read them. Just thought I'd mention it Oh, I have to go and change the bandages on my injured hands.)

[Cue sentimental violin music.]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up