Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS NECK OF THE WOODS  (Read 49732 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THIS NECK OF THE WOODS
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2004, 05:45:54 PM »

Panni I know you were joking, :) it’s just I did think about reponding at the time and didn’t.  

Gosh I’m sleepy today and compounded it by being too lazy to walk Echo.  It really isn’t that I’m too lazy for the walk, which I love, it is the clean up process that follows.  I should have taken a nap today like someone else did.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2004, 05:46:49 PM »

Jay-LOL

Emily

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2004, 06:10:24 PM »

I saw the Passion of the Christ.

My response:

phlphtfftphtfllphhhhhhhhh (i.e. the sound of me sticking out my tongue)

They lost me somewhere around the slapstick sit-commy flashback of Jesus the Carpenter pre-mission where he invents a table that requires the use of chairs and Mary goes: "this will never catch on"

OY OY OY OY OY

The extreme continued violence also detracts from any impact it may have had to begin with.

Show a man getting abused once - you feel his pain and think about the message behind it

Show a man getting beaten over and over and over again - you start thinking of the huge quantities of fake blood used in the film

TPotC is definitely getting way more notice than it should have.  Give me Godspell any day.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

td

• td
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2004, 06:16:30 PM »

DR Jed (and newfound family member, he's MY nephew, TCB) wrote:
Just re-watched the movie Memento, which I own but hadn't watched in awhile.  Rather enjoy it, I do.  .

And what a weird happenstance!  I too, last night watched MEMENTO!  (following a very mellifluous chat with a certain DR).  I watched it because i finally picked up the *special edition* two-dvd disc, so I very quickly found an online guide to navigating the menus so that I could watch the chronological cut.  I still enjoyed it that way, too, but, sweet Harriet Harris' scenes are no longer spaced out, but, all come at the *beginning* of the film.
Great screenplay.

And as another DR (Matt, to be precise) has said, he watched MYRA BRECKENRIDGE - - and you know what?  SO DID I!  I certainly didn't HATE it, but, even today my mouth is still agape.  Talk about giving a monkey a movie camera!  It is a mess of a movie, a train wreck which one can't look away from.  Every time Mae West came on screen (WATCH OUT, TCB!) I thought we had gone from black comedy to outright horror!  Welch does admirable work, most of the time.  John Huston aptly foreshadows his future performance in CHINATOWN, Rex Reed should stick to writing and they never should have exhumed Miss West for the film.

Chat isn't open, because it isn't Monday, yet.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2004, 06:17:56 PM »

Oh, DR Emily, you simply have to check out Stephen King's musings on TPotC in this week's Entertainment Weekly.   :o

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2004, 06:30:25 PM »

A question of the day. Over the weekend I've enjoyed reading about HHW visits - DRs Jenny, Maya, S. Woody White and Der Brucer. Though I've established some wonderful friendships, I've yet to have a face-to-face meeting with someone I've met online. Any exceptional experiences - positive or negative?

(And TCB, you are of course invited to the next chicken paprikash dinner.)

Gee, Dan, I thought you would never ask.  Of course, you could always just mail me the leftovers!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2004, 06:37:21 PM »

I can no longer stand by in silence and watch or I shall explode! Explode, I tell you. :P -- It's Chicken PAPRIKAS (no H). In Hungarian, "s" is pronounced "sh"...

"S" as in the word "sit" is written "SZ"...

That feels so much better.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 06:39:08 PM by Panni »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2004, 06:38:22 PM »

OK, OK.  So it took me until this evening to get around to reading the Opinion section of today's L.A. Times.  My punishment was the apoplexy I got by reading an item on the section's front page:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-kmiec14mar14,1,2604469.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

I often ponder in my head the letters I might send to the editors of the Times, but seldom am I moved to get off my tuchus and actually send one.  Today I was so moved.  Here's the text of the letter I e-mailed just a minute ago:

The logic in Douglas R. Kmiec's Opinion piece today arguing that marriage is based on procreation is so faulty I do not know where to begin.  Perhaps his citation of the federal appellate court's opinion noting that Florida has a "rational interest in 'emphasiz[ing] [the] vital role that dual-gender parenting plays in shaping sexual and gender identity'"  might be a good place.  Wait a minute.  Let me check something here.  Yep!  Most gays, lesbians and transgendered individuals are the product of dual-gender parents.  How does Mr. Kmiec explain that?

Following Mr. Kmiec's logic, the walls of defense that some would like to see built around marriage in America today would need to protect it from not only gays and lesbians, but also the infertile and post-menopausal.

To my perception, marriage should be based on the mutual love and support between two people, regardless of gender and regardless of whether procreation is desired.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 07:01:22 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2004, 06:41:26 PM »

Hurray, Jay!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2004, 06:42:20 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from New York...

Sorry for being E&T and T&E since Thursday night, but I had some early mornings and some late nights, so...  -Thankfully, the charges for my phone/internet calls were no where near what I thought they would be... Alas, my time to post and catch up was quite limited, but now that I'm back home in Richmond - for the night at least...

I've been spending the past two hours watching "Trading Spaces" and catching up on the posts here on HHW from the past few days.

I shall report, respond and answer shortly...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2004, 06:50:14 PM »

Had a wonderful day yesterday seeing CHICAGO and meeting Mr. Tom Wopat! The show was fun and had some great performances..particularly Velma (Reva Rice) and Roxie (Bianca Marroquin)! Carol Woods, who played Matron Mama Morton has a beautiful voice. My seat (which cost a fortune) was not too good..next time I will make sure to buy my ticket on the first day!! Prior to the show I walked down to the Subway Sandwich place and stood in line. In front of me were a cast member and a crew member from Chicago.  They were both very nice and told me that they hoped I would enjoy the show.

After the show I had Tom Wopat sign the CD insert from his CD which I had brought with me. We chatted about his upcoming CD which I am very excited about hearing. It will be songs by Harold Arlen and I think he said it would be out in October. Mr. Wopat is still quite handsome and in very good shape. Seems to me he had gotten a bit portly when he was on the show CYBIL, but he has gotten himself in fine condition now! If you have not had a chance to hear his CD titled THE STIL OF THE NIGHT, I highly recommend it. Beautiful songs and many old standards.

So, was Mr. Wopat playing Roxie?  I bet he has great legs (to match the rest of him).

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2004, 06:52:08 PM »

I can no longer stand by in silence and watch or I shall explode! Explode, I tell you. :P -- It's Chicken PAPRIKAS (no H). In Hungarian, "s" is pronounced "sh"...

"S" as in the word "sit" is written "SZ"...

That feels so much better.

If that didn't, then this will send you over the edge. I got the spelling from Fanny Farmer.

Michael

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2004, 06:55:27 PM »

And as another DR (Matt, to be precise) has said, he watched MYRA BRECKENRIDGE - - and you know what?  SO DID I!  I certainly didn't HATE it, but, even today my mouth is still agape.  Talk about giving a monkey a movie camera!

Didn't one of the actors describe him as a wolf with rabies?
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »

Somewhere in the vaults of VANITY FAIR magazine, there is a contemporary look at Michael Sarne and his troubled career.  Fascinating material.

Michael

« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2004, 07:02:23 PM »

Somewhere in the vaults of VANITY FAIR magazine, there is a contemporary look at Michael Sarne and his troubled career.  Fascinating material.

Michael Cimino had similar problems. Each directed a film that almost destroyed a studio
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2004, 07:07:35 PM »

Good letter, DR Jay.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2004, 07:21:33 PM »

What are your favorite shots/moments from a movie.

Some favorite cinematographical moments:
Woody and Diane walking through the Planetarium in Manhattan
The first shot of the mother ship looming over the mountain in Close Encounters
The shot through the skylight of Dorothy Comingore's nightclub in Citizen Kane
Gandalf leading the charge down the hill to Helm's Deep in LOTR:  The Two Towers

Some favorite moments in general:
Little Margaret O'Brien going postal on the snowmen in Meet Me in St. Loius
Jill Clayburgh carrying the painting in An Unmarried Woman
George Saunders giving Anne Baxter her comeuppance in ALL ABOUT EVE
The final scene of On The Waterfront
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2004, 07:22:50 PM »

DRs JRand and Kerry should now be appreciative of Mike Sarne's other talents!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2004, 07:32:17 PM »

If that didn't, then this will send you over the edge. I got the spelling from Fanny Farmer.

On should never trust one's Fanny to do the spelling.

OR, the math: "I add two and two the most simple addition, and swear that the figures are lying."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2004, 07:48:18 PM »

Gee, thanks, Dear Readers Panni and Dan-in-Toronto.  Now let's see if it's published.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2004, 07:53:26 PM »

The above description of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST just cements my desire to pass it up....although it does seem that many viewers find this film positive and uplifting for some reason.
It's the use of the word "uplifting" that bothers me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2004, 07:54:41 PM »

Dan-in-TO - Just teaches you... Never trust anybody named Fanny. (Stick with Annie.)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2004, 08:18:15 PM »

"Sensitive Song" from Larry O'Keefe's "COPS: The Musical"

She smells like rain,
And she tastes like champagne.
She's got a special smile
That makes her intentions plain.
She makes me ache
With all the love that we make.
She makes me dream wide awake.

And that's why I'm dumpin' you,
Bitch.
That's why I'm out the door.
She is a perfect angel,
You're a skanky, skanky whore.
A skanky, skanky, skanky, skanky whore.

She's not annoyed
When I can't stay employed.
She never calls me pervert
If I wanna take a Polaroid.
She's a fuck machine,
Yeah, she just turned eighteen.
She buys me methamphetamine.

And that's why I'm dumpin' you,
Beeyatch.
Go on and throw that toaster,
'Cause you're still a skanky whore.
A skanky, skanky, skanky, skanky whore.

Yeah, you skank them at the truck stops
And at the tattoo shops.
And it don't make you an actress
Just because you been on "Cops".
And, sure, you finished college,
Well, whoop de fuckin' doo.
If I blew all my teachers, I'd a finished college too.

Yeah, that's why I'm dumpin you,
Bizzatch.
I'm sorry she's your sister,
But you're still a skanky whore.
She is a little bit skanky too,
...But you're a whole lot more.
You creepy, cranky,
Stinky, stanky,
Skanky skanky whore.
You whore.

Whore.

---

I heard O'Keefe perform this song last week at Harvard.  Just thought I should share.  :-*
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2004, 08:24:56 PM »

By the way, HAPPY PI DAY!  I hope that your Pi Day was filled with joy, revelry, and mathematic equations.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2004, 08:28:05 PM »

DR Michael Shayne, those three installments of UNKNOWN CHAPLIN were definitely released on commercial videotape because I have them. I had taped the programs off PBS when they first aired, but at SLP to fit them on one tape, and the quality was lousy, so when I got a chance to buy commercial issues of them, I certainly did. Don't know if they've made their way to DVD yet, but I seem to remember seeing them announced several years ago. The contents of all three are superb, and I know some of the contents of them have made their way to the Chaplin boxed sets (Georgia Hale's screen test to replace Virginia Cherrill in CITY LIGHTS, Chaplin's "The Professor" which was abandoned after one sequence which he later revised and incorporated into LIMELIGHT, the wooden piece caught in the grate cut from MODERN TIMES).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2004, 08:32:13 PM »

The above description of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST just cements my desire to pass it up. I will stick to religious movies that have a more positive and uplifting message...although it does seem that many viewers find this film positive and uplifting for some reason.

Ditto, DR MBarnum.  As a Catholic (and as they say, "...once a Catholic..."), I won't deny the importance of the story of the crucifixion of Christ, but I won't put myself through Gibson's S&M fetish show.  I much rather keep in my mind the image of the Buddy Christ that appears in Kevin Smith's Dogma (I even have one that I keep on my bedrrom dressing table.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2004, 08:35:17 PM »

Finished watching THE OX-BOW INCIDENT today which never fails to move me deeply and the put in and watched DARK PASSAGE. I've always liked this movie even with its too-pat ending and too easy to figure out mystery plot. The DVD sure looks good, and I appreciated the simple but nice making-of documentary Warners included on the DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2004, 08:58:04 PM »

OUR DINNER WITH JENNY

(To begin with, head on back to der Brucer's review of I Am My Own Wife.  This post begins as we were leaving the theater together.)

As everyone can tell from Jenny's and der Brucer's posts, a grand time was had by all.  I particularly was glad to meet Jenny's parents; she'd teased that her mother wanted to make sure we weren't axe-murderers, but I think there were other things going on than that.  

I found her Dad to be gently humored and indulgent in that paternal way that some father's have.  Her Mother was more certain in checking der Brucer and myself out, the way a mother ought to when meeting her daughter's friends.  In other words, good parents, the sort of people I'd like to meet again.

I missed out on much of the conversation, unfortunately.  It was up to me to head over to TKTS for the evening's entertainment, and the line was much longer and slower than any of us had anticipated.  So instead I got to meet total strangers and discussed the shows we'd seen, how the weather has been (the Canadians in our section of the line were so happy to get out of the cold  ::)), the usual line dancing.  It was getting to be time for our reservation at Joe Allen, where the others were waiting, so I tried to call via cell phone to let them all know I'd be late.  Sure enough, der Brucer, after carefully training me during our northward drive on how to use the danged contraption, had forgotten to turn his own danged contraption on!

Mom and Dad had left on errands by the time I returned, fifteen minutes later.  Der Brucer had been playing "menu predictions" with Jenny, telling her what he thought I'd order while placing their appetizer order of escargots, something Jenny had never had and was curious to try.  He'd thought I'd want the quesadilla, but I fooled him by ordering the black bean soup instead!  Hey, it was cold out there on that line, and soup sounded good.  As for the escargots, Jenny rather liked them, although der B thought the presentation on puff pastry left much to be desired...like a lack of delicious sauce.

For entrees, der B was back on target with my choice of Jambalaya.  Jenny thought it "cute" (in the best sense of that word) that he could predict my tastes, a sure indication of coupledom.  She had the penne with hot Italian sausage, and he the steak tartare, which I should have predicted myself; when at restaurants, we always try to find what I am not good at cooking myself.  (Instead, I'd predicted the liver.)  Jenny, in turn, predicted that her mother would be stunned to find she'd tried the escargot (she was), as well as der Brucer's dinner choice (right again).

The really nice thing about Joe Allen is that it is a convivial place to eat with others.  I don't think I'd want to eat there alone, but the service and surroundings, along with the friendly food, invite good conversation.  And we were glad to have taken Jenny, her first time there.  She also enjoyed the show posters on the wall, although we were in the bar's room and she could only see them through the separating windows.  Hopefully she'll get to inspect them closer on another visit.

And other visits there will be.  We've promised ourselves that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2004, 08:59:13 PM »

Unknown Chaplin was released on laserdisc as well, and I still have my copy.  It's a good show, but a lot of that material has found its way onto these special editions from Warners.

If you want some laughs, don't miss Curb Your Enthusiasm tonight or tomorrow.  It's the last show of the season, an hour-long episode, and we actually get to see Larry and David Schwimmer do several scenes and numbers from The Producers.  There are lots of fun cameos, too, so keep your eyes open.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2004, 09:04:44 PM »

I spotted Lee Wilkoff, and of course there was Stephen Colbert (not known for musicals, he, but I've loved him on stage).  Richard Kind of the Sondheim tuner.  Who else?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up