Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A BRAND NEW WEKK  (Read 48057 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A BRAND NEW WEKK
« on: March 15, 2004, 12:01:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, therefore all is well with the world, notes-wise, and now we simply must have loads of lovely postings, mustn't we? ::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 12:06:50 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:A BRAND NEW WEKK
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 12:35:26 AM »

Most of Anthony Newley albums have not made it to CD as yet.  I think there a few Bobby Darin albums yet to make it to Cd also. I may check later for more specific answers to the topic of the day.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:35:50 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 01:11:33 AM »

Interesting question, BK, and I hope everyone wekks eloquently in response.

For myself, there was a record released by Columbia, late in their association with Walter Carlos, of Switched On Bach fame.  Titled By Request, it was a rather schizoid record, ranging from electronic realizations of music by Tchaikovsky to early electronic music, and from Bach to Bacharach's "What's New, Pussycat."  The centerpiece of the album was a theme and variations rendition of Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance March", the one most of us associate with graduation ceremonies, where the variations ranged from takes on Mussorgsky, Joplin, and Rossini to the Beer Barrel Polka.  Seriously!  (and not.)

I was about to post wishing this were on CD, when I decided to check before proving myself a fool, and I'm glad that I did.  It seems that Wendy Carlos (who went through a name change sometime between this album and her subsequent work with Kubrick on The Shining) has indeed totally restored her work and released it on disc!  Huzzah! is what I say!  

For more information, I suggest checking out the attached link!  (Everyone should be able to find out more about Wendy Carlos' works through her own links at the bottom of her page.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 01:54:06 AM »

It's not even 5am for you yet, elmore, what the heck are you doing up already???  Early birds will never make sense to me. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 01:57:49 AM »

I think most everything that was in the LP collection we had when I was growing up is available on CD now.  I listened most often to the Annie and A Chorus Line OCR's, along with Manhattan Transfer's Mecca for Moderns and the American Graffiti soundtrack, all of which are easily acquirable CDs.  I have the first two CDs now, but still need to get the Mecca for Moderns disc... been meaning to for ages, just haven't yet.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 01:58:54 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 02:05:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's quite early.  I woke up around 3:55 am with my system teling me I had to get up and grind out bass parts for these acts I'm finishing up.  I've got bass and drum to get through today so I can begin the Keyboard 2 material.  I lost around 3 hours of work last night to have dinner with a good friend from my hometown and his wife; they were in to see WICKED and didn't like it much.  I'm seeing it next month and looking forward to it.  I hope I enjoy it.  I loved the novel.

I have to go to Baltimore on Thursday morning to look at Eubie Blake material, so I have to have these shows ready to hand in by Wednesday night.  My nerves are telling me to work, work, work, and I'm averaging 5 hours sleep a night right now.  I'll sleep late this weekend.

Dear BK asked about albums not yet transferred to disc, and so many recordings I thought would never get transferred have appeared - Judy Henske, JUNO, KEAN, EARNEST IN LOVE - that my list gets shorter.  Here are a few of my wish list:

1.  MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF (original Off-Broadway cast)
2.  complete Mary Martin & Pearl Bailey HELLO DOLLY
3.  KING OF HEARTS soundtrack, music by Georges Delerue (?)
4.  Elly Stone's solo album for Columbia with "Song for Old Lovers" and "My Childhood"
5.  JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL soundtrack
6.  WORDS AND MUSIC soundtrack; why Rhino didn't do this for the Rodgers centenary is beyond me
7.  Tessie O'Shea and Carol Channing solo albums for Command
8.  Music of Bernstein with Alfred Drake and Roberta Peters on Command
9.  The complete Frederic Austin version of BEGGAR'S OPERA on Argo Records
10.  Eva le Galliene's version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND with music by Richard Addinsell
11.  London cast CAMELOT with Laurence Harvey
12.  NEW FACES OF '56 with Maggie Smith and "April in Fairbanks"
13.  NEW FACES of '68 with Madeline Kahn singing the best Brecht-Weill parody ever, "Das Chicago Song"
14.  TUSCALOOSA'S CALLING ME BUT I"M NOT GOING original cast
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 02:10:55 AM »

It's not even 5am for you yet, elmore, what the heck are you doing up already???  Early birds will never make sense to me. :D

DR Jed, I get more work done at home in the morning between 7 and noon than the rest of the day, what with phone, errands, etc.  It's quiet, I have no other procrastination techniques but the computer since I have to keep it down for the neighbors' sakes, and 5 am is early, even for me.  I usually get up around 7 and sleeping late is getting up after 8:30.  What are you doing up at 2 am?  Don't you have to go to work on Monday morning?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 02:16:14 AM »

I also wish that all of the William Bolcom-Joan Morris recordings were on CD, especially the Nonesuch recordings of "Ladies of Vaudeville," which was cut up to fill out the "After the Ball" CD and their Lieber-Stoller compilation, the RCA-BMG recording of "These Charming People" and their cabaret evening which included "Lime Jellow Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise."

Speaking of Lieber and Stoller, did Peggy Lee's compilation - I believe it was called "Mirrors" - ever get released on CD?

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 02:17:40 AM »

I didn't expect to see anyone here at all guys. Just had a look through my old albums - I think many are really available these days - I just have not bothered or had the spare $.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 02:27:27 AM »

How could I have forgotten these:

Charlotte Rae's solo album, "Songs I Taught My Mother"
Caedmon's recording of Mother Goose rhymes with Cyril Ritchard, Boris Karloff, and Celeste Holm and fantastic arrangements by Hershey Kay for 3-5 musicians including harp, percussion, and reed
The complete plays:
  1.  MARAT/SADE (Royal Shakespeare Company which includes a sequence cut from the film version)
  2.  TARTUFFE (Stratford Festival)
  3.  THE SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL with Sir Ralph Richardson  
  4.  LOVE FOR LOVE (National Theatre of Great Britain)
There was a great jazz album with Maureen Forrester on Vanguard (?) called "Mozart After Hours" or something like that
THE BAROQUE BEATLES BOOK from Nonesuch

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 02:29:49 AM »

THE BAROQUE BEATLES BOOK from Nonesuch

Maybe it wasn't on Nonesuch, but it had great arrangements by Joshua Rifkin who orchestrated "Both sides Now" for Judy Collins

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 04:41:22 AM »

We are predicted to have 3-6" of snow tonight.  That is some way to start the wekk!  >:(

DR td - if Mae in "Breckinridge" stunned you - then you must watch "Sextette".  I think we may have talked about it before.  It is a frightening experience.  Here is my review of the film:

http://www.epinions.com/content_62865510020

I just reviewed Guy Haines solo CD at Amazon.com and it should be up in the next few days.  ;D

A few LP's that I would love to have on CD include a solo album by Anita Darian and singer Jane Morgan's LP's.  Terrific singers both!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 05:35:57 AM »

13.  NEW FACES of '68 with Madeline Kahn singing the best Brecht-Weill parody ever, "Das Chicago Song"

I adore "Das Chicago Song," which I played too many times on my NF of 68 LP.

Would it be feasible for anyone to consider producing a Madeline Kahn Favorites CD?

I also agree with JRand53 that Madeline Kahn's What's Up Doc scene (being dragged out of the reception hall) remains one of the funniest. Since I first saw the movie, I have never been able to take a "Eunice" seriously.

From memory - may not be exact:

"This woman claims to be a Eunice Burns."
"I am not a Euncie Burns. I am the Eunice Burns."

Cracks me up just thinking about it.

I miss you, Madeline.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 05:37:56 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 05:39:32 AM »

DR DinTO - So many funny moments for her in that movie:

"I'M COMING IN!"

"What are you doing with Howard Bannisters rocks?"

Eunice:  "This man tried to molest me."
Judge:  "That's...unbelievable."

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 05:43:20 AM »

We are having major computer problems at home so I have been e&t all weekend. In fact, Mr. Morelli is probably talking to the outsourced help desk at Gateway right now. At least we were able to get most, if not all the important stuff off the computer in case we need to have major work done. This week I will probably be able to see HHW only at work between the hours of 6:45am and 4pm. No evening access for me.

Mr. Elmore, glad to know there is another Joan Morris & William Bolcolm fan out there. We have lots of their stuff but it would be nice to have everything (isn't that true for all sorts of things). I have looked for years for JMs Civil War songs album (I don't think Bolcolm was involved in that one) but without success. Every time we go into a used record store it's one of the first things we look for, along with the cabaret evening, which, thanks to the efforts of DR Kerry, we have on tape.

We will be transferring a record to CD this week, thanks to the generosity of a friend who is letting us use his burner hooked up to his turntable. We will finally have the Minneapolis Out and About Theatre Production of Boy Meets Boy (from 1979) on CD. I've mentioned this albmum before. It's got full orchestrations and more music than the CD transfer of the original production. We are very happy to finally get this on CD. When done, we will send a copy to our friend who directed the production back in Minneapolis (he now lives in Tucson, AZ). He only has the record as well.

There are so many other LPs I would like to have on CD. At least all the Peter Paul and Mary albums are on CD, except for Reunion, a 1978 not great attempt to begin recording again after a time apart and one of their early albums, a concert in Japan, from the 1960s. I do wish that ALL the Chad Mitchell Trio and Mitchell Trio stuff was on CD. Many of the albums are (thanks to Collectors Choice Music and Rediscover Music) but there are still gaps in the collection. At least I have all the vinyl so at some point I will be able to make copies.

And now, back to work.

TTFN

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 05:47:19 AM »

As they sing in "I, Jupiter" in Out of This World:
"Wekk, wekk, a-wekka, sex!
Wekk, wekk, a-wekka, sex!"

Most desired recording on CD:
The '73 revival of Candide.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2004, 05:50:14 AM »

Oh and yes, DRTomovOz - "Myra Breckinridge" director Michael Sarne was quite the vocalist!  Thanks for sharing!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2004, 05:50:53 AM »

BK - What a great interview with "you've been a composer, you've been a conductor, you've been an arranger, you've worked on hit and flop Broadway shows, you've worked with legendary stars" Larry Blank.

It's exhaustive, revealing, and fascinating - must reading for anyone interested in musical theatre. (What am I all of a sudden?)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2004, 06:12:57 AM »

I do wish that ALL the Chad Mitchell Trio and Mitchell Trio stuff was on CD. Many of the albums are (thanks to Collectors Choice Music and Rediscover Music) but there are still gaps in the collection. At least I have all the vinyl so at some point I will be able to make copies.

DR Ben, all the Chad Mitchell Trio recordings are finally on CD, to my knowledge.  I'm one of their biggest fans and I feel I owe them a great debt:  whatever political leanings I have are a direct result of their recordings, along with several others in the 60s folk movement, and the friends who introduced me to their recordings, namely Mike Hermetz and Steve Brown.  A couple of years ago, the Chad Mitchell Trio had a reunion in NYC at Symphony Space and I went to see them.  I think their third song was the "Greenland Whalers," during which I started weeping and continued to do so through the rest of the concert.  I went backstage to meet them afterwards.  They were wonderful.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2004, 06:13:20 AM »

Buffalonians would  have no problem with a "brand new wekk."

"Some people consider Beef on Weck - thinly sliced rare roast beef (piled high as 6 inches) on a freshly baked kummelweck roll - the best roast beef sandwich in America. This sandwich is a staple of Buffalo, New York. Few, if any, restaurants outside the Buffalo area serve this sandwich or even know what it is.

It is a roast beef sandwich on a salty kummelweck roll. In fact, it is this roll that makes the sandwich unique. Made only in the Buffalo-Rochester area, the kummelweck, often alternatively spelled kimmelweck, is basically a Kaiser roll topped with lots of pretzel salt and caraway seeds. Kummelweck is simply shortened to 'weck.'"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 06:35:28 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 06:15:58 AM »

Sparkling interview with Mr Larry Blank.  Whew!  He has done a LOT!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 06:31:17 AM »

Greetings on The Ides of March.

With one or two exceptions, Elmore's list could have been my list.  I was mentaly compiling it as I read the other posts and when I got to his list I found just about everything I would have listed.  The only thing missing would be several of the Al Carmines shows.  Only "Promenade" has been issued on CD ("W. C." was recorded and issued in the CD era).  How about "Peace", "Joan", "In Circles" and some of the rest?

Since my taste is often quite different from others, I have to admit I don't know what everyone sees in "The Sopranos".  I saw the first episode the first season and wondered what all the raves were for.  Only the late Nancy Marchand held my interest.  Other than the some early WB movies ("Public Enemy", "Little Ceasar", et. al.) and the first 2 "Godfather" films, I have never cared for films with mobsters as the main characters.  I hated "Bonnie and Clyde".

I am beginning to think Charles Busch can only play one character.  His Gillian in "Bell, Book and Candle" was no different from his Auntie Mame or roles he wrote for himself.  In the case of BB&C it was totally wrong, but his fans loved it and applauded each new gown he wore.  It's a shame too, because the rest of the cast (Dody Goodman, Howard McGilin, Malcolm Gets and Jonathan Freeman plus naration by Peter Bartlett) was quite good.  The play is dated but fun.  It's interesting that even though this was a free reading to Drama Department subscribers, there were many empty seats.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 06:44:43 AM »

DR Larry, I'll have to look more extensively. I've never seen any reference to one of the early albums which was a concert with The Gatemen. It's on the old Colpix label (vinyl that is) and one of the late albums after John Denver joined the group and they toured as the Mitchell Trio. It's called Alive and the trio is Mike Kobluk, John Denver and David Boise.

As you said in your post "whatever political leanings I have are a direct result of their recordings, along with several others in the 60s folk movement" The music is still relevant and important today . I'm glad to know there are other fans.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 07:11:17 AM »

It's called Alive and the trio is Mike Kobluk, John Denver and David Boise.

DR Ben,  this is quite puzzling!  The only Colpix I know of is their very first album before Joe Frazier ewplaced Mike Pugh.  Denver replaced Chad Mitchell and David Boise must have replaced Joe Frazier, so this would be a later album I don't know of!  I thought their only joint appearance was on the Belafonte Carnegie Hall concert with Odetta and Miriam Makeba.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2004, 07:20:08 AM »

Well, you see, when you get out of bed at 4:55 am after 4 hours sleep, you don't always think clearly and I can even spell "replaced."

So there are two albums here:  early Colpix with The Gatemen, which I don't know of, and a much later one "alive," after the trio really had dissolved to one original member.  Collector's Choice released the two albums with John Denver replacing Chad Mitchell, and I see in the notes to this CD that this last album was on Reprise.
Things you learn!

Yes, I'd like to see "In Circles" on CD as well.  There's a lot of wonderful music in it, and I forgot to mention Christopher Plummer's CYRANO, with Leigh Beery and her wonderful "You Have Made Me Love You."  I'd like to see the Lincoln Center 1976 THREEPENNY OPERA on disc as well.  One project I used to push to BK was a complete unexpurgated Marc Blitzstein THREEPENNY recording, using his artistes like Judy Kaye as Mrs Peachum, Rebecca Luker or Emily Loesser as Polly, Leee Wilkoff as Peachum, etc.  So I'm pushing it again!

Ben

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2004, 07:23:42 AM »

Larry, I was not completely clear in my reply. The 1964 Gatemen/CMT concert album is on Colpix (LP Colpix SCP463) and the Alive album is from the late 60s and it's on Reprise (LP Reprise RS6258). I have both of these albums on vinyl and in the next post I will put the cover art if it looks OK, so you can see what they look like.. If you're interested, since we're both in New York, (even if we weren't I could still do for a fan) I can tape both albums and get them to you.

Ben

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2004, 07:26:52 AM »

Here is a small photo of the cover art for the Alive album from the late 60s.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 07:27:30 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2004, 07:28:21 AM »

Here is the cover for the Gatemen/CMT concert from 1964

Ben

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2004, 07:30:03 AM »

Ah, yes, the Christopher Plummer Cyrano. I have that on vinyl. I remember seeing it at the Guthrie Theatre where it began. I know that by the time it got to NYC it was a completely different show, but I still love the album and the show that I saw in Minneapolis.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2004, 07:31:38 AM »

Also, just finished listening to another wonderful radio show w/Donald. Where do you find these gems? H/Ks, go listen to obscure songs by a Chicago cabaret artist and have fun this Monday morning. It's well worth the listen
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up